Multi-city flight to Hawaii

hswillia07

DIS Veteran
Hi all!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to execute this plan and wondering if anything has done anything similar. I would like to go from Toronto to California, visit Disneyland for two days, and then continue on to Aulani. How does this work with respect to flights? Is it feasible, or does the stop just make the flights way too expensive?

Thanks so much!

Lots of people do that.

There is no way for any of us to know if your flights (specific cities, flight times, airlines) will be significantly more expensive (or cheaper) doing it that way. You'll need to play around on the airline's websites to see what your options are.

Hi all!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to execute this plan and wondering if anything has done anything similar. I would like to go from Toronto to California, visit Disneyland for two days, and then continue on to Aulani. How does this work with respect to flights? Is it feasible, or does the stop just make the flights way too expensive?

Thanks so much!

I am also from the Toronto area, and I too was considering a stop at DL before or after going to Hawaii. I found the flights to be quite a bit more when it was from YYZ to LAX or an airport in the area, and then a few days later going from LAX or whatever airport in the area onto Honolulu.
I found it cheaper going from YYZ to Honolulu with 1 stop in between, but I guess it could also depend on the month you plan on going?
For us, we decided against it cause it did add up quite a bit, and thought we could find other ways to spend the $$ in Hawaii.
We've been to DL, so wasn't a must for us to stop. As much as we love it, we passed on it for this trip, but may consider it again in the future.
The one bonus coming home and stopping at DL is it makes things a tad easier adjusting to the time change.

Good luck with whatever you decide:)

Try taking Jet blue or Southwest from Buffalo to Los Angles. After your DL stop try Alaska Air to Ohau, Hawaii.

Yes, Jet Blue has a nonstop from Buffalo to LAX every day. I checked the prices and it was pretty reasonable. Southwest also flies to LAX but it is not non-stop, although they do have a non-stop from Buffalo to Las Vegas. You could then fly to Hawaii from Las Vegas. I have heard Alaska Air is pretty cost effective, also.

I just looked into something similar, but with a stop in LA on the way back. Pricing was about 200 more per person with the three day stop.

I was disappointed to see that there were ZERO direct flights from Toronto to Hawaii. But maybe I am not looking for the right time of year?

Edited to add - I used skyscanner's multi city search option to find flights.

We stopped in Seattle on the way to Oahu (flew Hawaiian from Seattle to Oahu and I can't say enough positive things about Hawaiian!) and flew from Lihue (which is on Kauai) to LAX for a 4 day Disneyland stop before returning home. The open jaw was just a bit more than the direct roundtrip from Atlanta and I liked the order we did it to help with Jet Lag.

We flew from Buffalo to Honolulu, but did look into Buffalo to LAX and then LAX to HNL. The prices were comparable for us. But for you out of Toronto, your Toronto to HNL flight would be less than booking the legs separately.

If you are renting a car anyway, you could also check the prices to and from John Wayne in Orange County which would be closest to DL, or from San Diego even. Just depends on how much you'd be saving if it were worth the drive.

Southwest has also confirmed that they will be adding flights from the West Coast in the US to Hawaii, quite soon!
The 737 ER planes that Alaska uses for this are also what southwest would likely use.

Not the old DC-10 to Honolulu experience that I grew up with, but it's really nice when you're going to an outer island to fly direct and the smaller planes allow them to offer more non-stop flights.

I finally talked to our credit card company and found out that YES our points will work for a multi-city flight, so that is very exciting news :) It means we can fly from Toronto (or Buffalo), stop for a few days in California to do Disneyland, and then head on to Aulani for the same amount of points it would take to go direct. Breaks up our flights perfectly AND we get to experience Disneyland :)

We flew Toronto-LAX (just an hour layover)-HNL on the way there (we did WJ, but AC Rouge does offer a direct flight, BTW), and did DL for 5 days on the way back, so HNL-LAX- five days- YYZ and it cost not a penny more than skipping the stopover. This was Westjet/ Delta in February :).

We flew Toronto-LAX (just an hour layover)-HNL on the way there (we did WJ, but AC Rouge does offer a direct flight, BTW), and did DL for 5 days on the way back, so HNL-LAX- five days- YYZ and it cost not a penny more than skipping the stopover. This was Westjet/ Delta in February :).

Thank you - that is great to hear! so exciting that it is actually a possibility :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!