Multiple Magic Bands on same trip?

NandP

Nick D DIS Veteran DVC-BCV
Can you use different magic bands on teh same trip? different colors/designs on teh same trip/day ? How do they know you are not "sharing" your band other than BiMetric Finger scans?

Heres an outdated image with MB1s but it shows a guest with 3 MBs attached to the same person.

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-13%20at%209.44.13%20AM.png

Can you use different magic bands on teh same trip? different colors/designs on teh same trip/day ? How do they know you are not "sharing" your band other than BiMetric Finger scans?

Essentially when you scan in an MB to enter the park, you are marked in the system as present (and I'm just simplifying this - the details are probably not exactly right). Any MB assigned in MDE to you or someone in your party who is also marked present for the day (at any time before you use it - doesn't need to be in the park at the time) can be used. They all access the same info. You cannot use an MB tied to someone not marked present for the day (grandma who decided to go shopping that day instead of a park, etc).

We had two each on our recent trip, because we did a split stay. We were able to choose the one we wanted to wear each day. They also both worked to open our room doors, and for charging.

Love to wear multiple magicbands on our trips. It makes it fun and allows me a hobby to collect them!

The center section of the band has the RFID chip--that's the part that is keyed to a particular person on MDE--has your ticket, FP+, dining plan entitlements, room key, etc. These days you're able to remove the center part with a small screwdriver (maybe an eyeglasses one?) and change bands amongst your party--keeping your center piece. I plan it out ahead of time when I'm ordering them, so we then have a different colored band from the center. (Say DD wants a purple band and green center...I order her a green one and myself the purple and then we swap bands.)

As others have said, if you've been to Disney before, you can reuse your previous Magicbands--I think the RFID chip is good for up to 2 yrs.

Last edited:
All your bands are linked to their owner in your MDE account. As long as they’re all active you can use any one (or color, lol) of your own bands to enter the park. They are basically clones of each other. You can swap amongst yourselves once you’re in the park if you want to use someone elses fp for a ride. We do it all the time. My daughter hates a lot of the rides we like. Plus, my kids seem to lose a band every trip. Saves going to guest services for a replacement. Last trip we had roughly 12 magicbands with us for 4 people :goodvibes

Last edited:
All your bands are linked to their owner in your MDE account. As long as they’re all active you can use any one (or color, lol) of your own bands to enter the park. They are basically clones of each other. You can swap amongst yourselves once you’re in the park if you want to use someone elses fp for a ride. We do it all the time. My daughter hates a lot of the rides we like. Plus, my kids seem to lose a band every trip. Saves going to guest services for a replacement. Last trip we had roughly 12 magicbands with us for 4 people :goodvibes

I could have written your post except for the part about 12 MBs (I carry one spare for each person in my bag). If we had 3 MBs each, I guarantee that on the day when we had a PPO breakfast ADR and plans for RD we'd arrive at the tap styles to find that someone had an MB that wasn't theirs.

Being multiple MBs with care! :flower:

WE always have multiple bands per person. My sister who was on her first trip just grabbed a pink band when leaving the room not realizing it wasn’t hers. We were stopped on our way in to Epcot because it was my band and I had already scanned into the park. THey looked up our MDE and asked who she was on our reservation and gave her a card to use for the day no problem.

WE always have multiple bands per person. My sister who was on her first trip just grabbed a pink band when leaving the room not realizing it wasn’t hers. We were stopped on our way in to Epcot because it was my band and I had already scanned into the park. THey looked up our MDE and asked who she was on our reservation and gave her a card to use for the day no problem.

That's a great thing to know. Thanks!

You can use any magic band that is linked to you at any time.

They would know if you're trying to enter the park with someone else's band because you'd be denied entry when the finger scan doesn't match.

You can switch magic bands with someone else once you'd both entered the parks but the only reason that would even be useful is if you don't want to use your FP+ and you're letting someone else use it which is fine.
I guess you could also let someone use it to charge to your room reservation or use dining plan credits as long as you give them your pin.

I could have written your post except for the part about 12 MBs (I carry one spare for each person in my bag). If we had 3 MBs each, I guarantee that on the day when we had a PPO breakfast ADR and plans for RD we'd arrive at the tap styles to find that someone had an MB that wasn't theirs.

Being multiple MBs with care! :flower:

Just to be clear, we didn't take that many into the park :rotfl:
We do what you do and carry a spare for each in case of loss or fp swapping. But we like to bring a variety to coordinate with our outfits. Plus we were doing a split stay last trip and accepted the 2nd set for reasons previously mentioned. A few more trips and I can make a garland for my Christmas tree...

This is good to know! I definitely want to buy a character magic band when we get there rather than only using the plain colour :)

The center section of the band has the RFID chip--that's the part that is keyed to a particular person on MDE--has your ticket, FP+, dining plan entitlements, room key, etc. These days you're able to remove the center part with a small screwdriver (maybe an eyeglasses one?) and change bands amongst your party--keeping your center piece. I plan it out ahead of time when I'm ordering them, so we then have a different colored band from the center. (Say DD wants a purple band and green center...I order her a green one and myself the purple and then we swap bands.)

As others have said, if you've been to Disney before, you can reuse your previous Magicbands--I think the RFID chip is good for up to 2 yrs.

There's actually nothing "on" the band other than a code that links to your account. That's why you can switch bands so easily. As long as they're tied to your account, they all access the same information.

The long-range RFID requires a battery and that battery is good for approximately 2 years. This is the one that identifies you on a ride when it takes a photo or for any future systems that want to identify you when not using a touch scanner. Touching your band (i.e., scanning into the parks, scanning for payment, scanning for FP) doesn't require a battery so you can use one that's quite old and it will still work for that but anything that requires long-range scanning won't. That's why you can use a card instead of an MB to do the touch scan.

I used an old MB (version 1.0) that was about 4 years old to scan for DME at the airport (since have to pick our MBs up at the hotel) and it worked fine. After that, I used the new MB 2.0 for the rest of our trip.

Works for me no problem. I have a couple Limited Edition ones that have special effects in different parks. Tiki Birds works in MK but doesn't do squat anywhere else. Star Wars ones work at HS. It's also kinda fun to match the band to the park you're in sometimes.

Yes you can, my daughter lost her last trip and they gave her a duplicate, we found it so she had two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter