Multiple WDW Resort - Bad Reviews

I have been a Hotel GM for over 22 years. All different brands, sizes etc..

During that time, wife and family has done over 12 trips to Disney, all on property. The hotels are all “fine”. As an insider to the business, I understand the sheer complexity of what these resorts are going thru 365 days a year.. The average guest can’t begin to grasp what it takes to run hotels of these size while trying to maintain your standards and meet customer expectations.

So all that said, you have to go into booking on site knowing that the price upgrade has to have value to YOU and won’t be delivered 100% via resort amenities.

I find the cost increase to be worth it. The locations, extra hours and having dining makes it work for our family. I don’t book POP and go it thinking I am getting a Holiday Inn Express type rooming experience. The rest of my expense is for the above features. I do expect staff to be friendly if rushed. I do expect my room to be in working order and not to have signs of the previous guests. (ie dirty towels, used products etc). I expect wear and tear on the room.

Might not be the same value for yours.

To me the article falls into the click bait category. Anyone can go to a review website and pull of a bad review about any hotel. I don't care if you are staying at the Four Seasons, you can find a bad review and cut and paste it into an article and give it a catchy title. That's all this is.

Yes, this site is a click farm. They put up a sensational headline that will bait people into clicking on the link, then the "article" spreads over several pages, so you have to click multiple times to read it all. Each click brings them ad revenue. Usually the contents of the article are a rehash of something found on another site, sometimes it's plagiarized content from another site, sometimes it's made up out of thin air. All that matters is that you click.

If you want to read bad reviews of hotels, go to TripAdvisor or any of the other big travel sites. Don't give these sites the clicks.

Isn't the picture of BoardWalk Inn actually the Yacht Club? :magnify: And the picture of the Swan is actually the Dolphin :D Gotta love their photos, not even accurate! Everyone has different opinions on what is valuable to them.

I like Trip advisor, I never stay at a hotel without checking it out there first. I agree that this one was a click bait.

I like Trip advisor, I never stay at a hotel without checking it out there first. I agree that this one was a click bait.
I travel a lot and always check out TripAdvisor to gage hotels no matter where I go. I always make sure to look at the number of reviews compared to the ranking. So, for instance, I may be more inclined to stay at a #3 hotel with 3,000+ reviews than a #1 or #2 with under 100 each. Just my thought about it.

I travel a lot and always check out TripAdvisor to gage hotels no matter where I go. I always make sure to look at the number of reviews compared to the ranking. So, for instance, I may be more inclined to stay at a #3 hotel with 3,000+ reviews than a #1 or #2 with under 100 each. Just my thought about it.

Funny, I no longer find Trip Advisor reliable. It was 10 or so years ago. Now it's full of bait reviews too, both good and bad. I no longer trust the majority to be valid, real people reviews. I think they are plants

Me too. You usually get unbiased reviews there. Really good source, probably better than the Dis since the Dis folks (me included) are sometimes too forgiving on Disney.

Yes, the Polynesian Resort is overpriced and the walls are thin at the All Stars but I question the rest. I have never seen dirty rooms at any of the resorts. This article is nonsense.

I love the messed up pictures. That was a good catch. :)

Funny, I no longer find Trip Advisor reliable. It was 10 or so years ago. Now it's full of bait reviews too, both good and bad. I no longer trust the majority to be valid, real people reviews. I think they are plants
Possibly, but I think its the best they got out there at the moment--I've always thought there were plants, but that's why I only trust those with reviews in the thousands going back years. Also, I really haven't been stirred wrong over the years--generally it's worked out for me.

The article is a bit over the top but not nonsense, I have read a bunch of the same type of negative posts here on the DIS. We have over 30+ trips and yes I can say we were assigned some bad rooms(broken furniture or bed), dirty(previous guest towels, dirty sheets or shower), or smelly(throw up or sour milk odor). Did we stay in those rooms, no we went back to the lobby asked for a manager and we were given a new room. Mousekeeping has definitely declined over the years. WDW is still our families favorite vacation destination but I do not wear Disney rose colored glasses when I discuss WDW. They charge more because they know they can and I know that when I make my reservation, I know better then to compare them to normal hotels.

I wish more people would look at Trip Advisor. I posted a bad review about a resort (it was horrible, whole bottom level where all but one of the bedrooms were was unusable) and a few months after I posted, someone had the same exact negative experience. I was like, didn't you see my review????

I prefer to watch YouTube vlogs/reviews when I'm choosing a resort now, whilst it does ruin the surprise a little I think it gives you a much better idea of whether you'll like a place or not.

I wish more people would look at Trip Advisor. I posted a bad review about a resort (it was horrible, whole bottom level where all but one of the bedrooms were was unusable) and a few months after I posted, someone had the same exact negative experience. I was like, didn't you see my review????
It's just that it's impossible to know which reviews to belive. They have shown some on there are not true reviews. That reviews are plants both by the properties to help ratings and by competitors to hurt ratings. So yeah, some reviews are real but how do you know which ones? Since you can't is ruined the credibility of the site in my eyes. Heck, disgruntled employees have trashed businesses to hurt ratings.

It's just that it's impossible to know which reviews to belive. They have shown some on there are not true reviews. That reviews are plants both by the properties to help ratings and by competitors to hurt ratings. So yeah, some reviews are real but how do you know which ones? Since you can't is ruined the credibility of the site in my eyes. Heck, disgruntled employees have trashed businesses to hurt ratings.
Couldn't that honestly be said of just about any review site out there? Word of mouth isn't much better. Neighbors went to WDW 1 1/2 years ago. We were talking about their trip and they def. misspoke about stuff. Person a few months ago on our neighborhood social networking site mentioned they were a travel agent and someone piped in with a question then another person (not the travel agent) gave incorrect information about discounts available for Disney resorts,

FWIW, whether you believe TripAdvisor adheres to its own rules, here is what they say about reviews:
upload_2017-7-22_19-32-26.png
upload_2017-7-22_19-35-30.png
upload_2017-7-22_19-35-55.png
upload_2017-7-22_19-36-19.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter