Mum's surprise 60th birthday trip PTR

loladelorean

DIS Veteran
With less than 5 weeks to go, my sister and I are getting seriously excited about the birthday trip of a lifetime that we have planned for our mum's 60th!

For those who don't know us, here's the cast:

Lisa (me), 28
Samantha, 23
Morna, turning 60 two days before we set off

Here we are on our first and last trips to DLP (1994 and 2014)

Now, this isn't just a DLP trip, it's a bit of a train odyssey with some Disney squeezed in at the end. Right now, our mum knows everything about the trip EXCEPT the Disney part. Still need to decide when and how we are going to tell her....watch this space.

The pre-DLP trip (everything by train because mum is scared to fly....also because it's better for the environment and trains are amazing)
  • Fri 10 March - Glasgow to London, dinner with family
  • Sat 11 March - Eurostar to Paris, spend the day in Paris and one night in hotel near Gare du Lyon
  • Sun 12 March - Train Paris to Turin, some time to wander and get dinner, then train to Venice
  • 3 days and 3 nights in Venice - somewhere mum has always wanted to visit
  • Wed 15 March - Sleeper train back to Paris
This is where my mum thinks the holiday ends, with another Eurostar, a night in London and the train home to Glasgow. But instead...

The DLP part
  • Thu 16 March - we get off the sleeper train and head straight to DLP! Check into the Newport Bay, where mum has always wanted to stay. Dinner at Annette's, our favourite!
  • Fri 17 March - Enjoy the St Patrick's Day festivities at the parks, and end our holiday with dinner at Inventions
  • Sat 18 March - Lots of trains home to Glasgow....this day will probably suck!
So it's a flying visit but we'll have almost two full days in the parks, and we can squeeze a lot into two days.
Everything is booked and organised, including 2 day/2 park tickets (waiting for these to arrive in the post), dinner at Inventions and a nice email sent to NPB telling them it's mum's birthday trip and requesting balloons in the room. We got a brilliant deal on Expedia for room only, hence buying the park tickets separately.

Sounds lovely, your mum will be thrilled - well done keeping it secret!

Well, there's just over a week to go and we can't keep the secret for much longer. Mum is confused by the missing two days in the itinerary and our attempts to confound her are wearing thin!
If we can keep her guessing until next Wednesday, we're going to tell her all the details of the trip on her actual birthday which is the 8th, two days before we go. I've ordered a vintage Newport Bay Club pin from ebay to pop into a card for her to open!

Well done for keeping the secret until now. I'm sur she'll be thrilled when she finds out what you've got planned.

That sounds amazing! Your mum is very lucky. I hope she doesnt guess or interrogate it out of you before the surprise!:)

I would love to hear how she reacted to the news! Hope you guys enjoy your time in the parks tomorrow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!