m

Thanks for all the great input on the mental game - lots to put into practice. I have a 10 mile race on Sunday and I know it will be a mental challenge more than anything (esp with some serious hills around miles 7-8). It’s already in my head a little bit - but I am going to practice this week and hope to keep it at bay next weekend!

I heard an amazing quote on a podcast a few months ago that has stuck with me - but it was long and I can never remember the exact wording. I need to try shortening it to a mantra - it was something like “do the best that you can with what you brought to the table today.”

My big question is my walk interval pace. I think I said 16-17 - but I was definitely wrong - it’s more like 15 (so the prescribed 17 felt reallllly slow) - is it ok to keep my easy pace at 10:14 and bump the walk pace to something like 15-15:30?

By changing the walking pace from 17:00 min to 15:00 min it just influences the duration of the run. So we'd get the following instead.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 7.55.58 AM.png

Thoughts?

I have the same issue with going to fast on the easy after doing faster intervals. I'm told it's not uncommon. Hopefully you'll figure it out soon!

Also ... I have to check if my treadmill has a "last pace" button. That could be a lifechanger for me ...

I have the same issue with going to fast on the easy after doing faster intervals. I'm told it's not uncommon. Hopefully you'll figure it out soon!

Also ... I have to check if my treadmill has a "last pace" button. That could be a lifechanger for me ...

Mine is at the YMCA - has a touch screen with a number pad in the corner where you can punch in the pace you want and toggle between 2 paces. Sooooo nice!

Last edited:
Mine is at the YMCA - has a touch screen with a number pad in the corner where you can punch in the pace you want and toggle between 2 paces. Sooooo nice!
The ones at our Gym don't have that. Every once in while I'll get on one that has a couple pre-programmed paces and those are nice. I have the hardest time trying to punch in numbers while I'm running. Either that or I'll hit the numbers and forget to hit submit and wonder why the treadmill isn't speeding up or slowing down.

That would be awesome. I have to just repeatedly push the up/down speed button on mine.

Awesome race!!! Such a great performance and a great start to the HM training!

Based on this race though, I do have a question: Pacing on hills…..when out on a regular training run, and you encounter a hill -- do you try to maintain pace, or maintain effort? I’m thinking that maintaining pace makes sense of hills that are short and/or not very steep, but if the hill is large/long, maintaining effort is more reasonable?

Always maintain effort for me. The downhill will allow an increase in pace at the same effort. Things won't even out (as uphill costs more than you gain from downhill). Maintaining that effort means you're pushing your body equally as hard and thus the bodies physiological response should be very similar between up, down, or flat.

Awesome race!!! Such a great performance and a great start to the HM training!

Always maintain effort for me. The downhill will allow an increase in pace at the same effort. Things won't even out (as uphill costs more than you gain from downhill). Maintaining that effort means you're pushing your body equally as hard and thus the bodies physiological response should be very similar between up, down, or flat.

I knew that would be your answer! Thanks :)

Congrats on a great race!! We found when we switched to shorter intervals that our pace increased as well. Like you said, it doesn't seem to make sense, but I've heard the same story from multiple people, so clearly there's something to it.

Congrats on a great race!! We found when we switched to shorter intervals that our pace increased as well. Like you said, it doesn't seem to make sense, but I've heard the same story from multiple people, so clearly there's something to it.

:teacher: #math

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!