Musical Theatre majors....

Minnie_me

DIS Veteran
My 16-year old DD is heading into her senior year of high school. She is planning on majoring in Musical Theatre when she goes to college next year. We've started visiting colleges and working on audition songs and monologues with her voice and acting coaches. But we know this is not an easy road, and it's so overwhelming.

Anyone here have kids majoring in Musical Theatre? What colleges do you recommend? Any advice for the process we have ahead of us? We live in the Northeast (NY state), and she doesn't want to be too far from home (6-8 hours max).

My D also loves musical theater, but thankfully has decided to make it an avocation and not an occupation. It's a bit further away, but here if you are interested in Musical theater they steer you to the U of Michigan, which is supposed to be amazing if that's how you want to go. Another fine place is the Conservatory of Theater Arts at Webster University. Both of these are pretty hard to get into, but she'd get an amazing education from people who have worked (and continue to work) in the business.

My daughter is a theater major, but she specializes in the technical side of things. She goes to a school with a small theater department, and all the kids that are in the department are heavily involved with every production that takes place during the semester. She recently did a summer stock program at a much larger University, with a pretty big MFA program. One of the things that she came home talking about was the students who were in the program from many of the bigger schools have had a different experience than at her school: apparently at many schools, undergrads are not as heavily involved in the productions, esp. during freshman and sophomore years. That might be something worth looking into when considering which programs you might apply for.

One of DD's friends attends a school called Five Towns College in Long Island NY and he is heavily involved in all the productions they put on.

I have my batchelors in Theaterical Lighting Design. My advice is go on broadwayworld.com or playbill.com and look where most Tony winners have gone. The best schools are going to be NYU, Marymount Manhattan (my alma mater), Columbia, University of Michigan, Elon, Carnegie Melon, and a handful of others. No matter where she goes it will be not just the education she recieves but how dedicated she is.

My next door neighbor went to Pace, and now at 26, is in a traveling musical production. She was in a Celtic all girl band that played regularly in NYC since 16, a true triple threat, plays many instruments, always had lead roles in HS and college, and did a lot of babysitting after college.

She also got into NYU, but Pace was cheaper. She's also brilliant.

My next door neighbor went to Pace, and now at 26, is in a traveling musical production. She was in a Celtic all girl band that played regularly in NYC since 16, a true triple threat, plays many instruments, always had lead roles in HS and college, and did a lot of babysitting after college.

She also got into NYU, but Pace was cheaper. She's also brilliant.

I forget about Pace but they are great too. I have a couple friends who went there. The big thing in NYC is whatever of the 4 major theater schools you go to you apply yourself and go all out in class and auditions. Just the NYC schools churn out hundreds of theater majors a year so putting in the work will set you apart.

We just spent the last year going through the musical theater college audition process with DS! There's tons of information I can give you, probably too much to type here. If you would like to PM me, I would be happy to answer any questions you have and share our experiences.

Basically, if your DD is entering her senior year, it's time to start researching programs and requirements. I would strongly recommend an audition coach. DS's coach was invaluable in explaining audition requirements, deadlines, choosing and filming monologues, etc. Musical Theater (MT) programs are generally limited in how many students they take each year. Two of the top programs, University of Michigan and Carnegie Mellon, each admit only 12 students. Pace takes up to 25. I believe NYU takes up to 60, but not all are admitted into the main MT program. Point Park in Pittsburgh admitted 30 this year. Texas State has quickly developed an excellent program. They admit between 12 and 14. Boston Conservatory took 60 MT students this year. It's very competitive, but a coach can help your student stand out, from song and monologue choices to clothing to interview questions. DS's coach held a mock audition for her students and made it as close as possible to a real audition. DS auditioned for 10 schools and received a good number of offers. He accepted a spot at the University of Miami and is very excited to start there next month! Again, feel free to PM if you have specific questions. I would be happy to help!

University of Cincinnati has an excellent theatre program and it's very competitive

DH's younger cousin went to NYU (Tisch). He is now in his mid 30s. He worked for years waiting tables and trying for his big break. He lived in New York and Los Angeles over the years. He did get cast in a couple of very small traveling productions (they played at schools) and was in 2 different bands. One of the bands actually cut an album, but it didn't go anywhere. He has finally given up the dream and is now selling real estate in Northern California.

For those who make it big, it is a great life. For those who don't, it can be very hard and very frustrating. Having a fall back career is a must.

I would also recommend looking at Collegeconfidential.com. Go to the area under majors and click on Musical Theater. There's information on there about the schools, programs, requirements, etc. There are also many students and parents who have been through the process or are at the same place as you. Lots of good discussions going on and a great place to get advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter