Must-see beautiful drives?

yfamdiscruise

Mouseketeer
What is your favorite spot/drive on the island? **Bonus points for breathtaking scenery!** I know so much of the island is beautiful, but what are your must-see spots? Beautiful drives/viewing areas would be more our style than strenuous hikes this time around.

What is your favorite spot/drive on the island? **Bonus points for breathtaking scenery!** I know so much of the island is beautiful, but what are your must-see spots? Beautiful drives/viewing areas would be more our style than strenuous hikes this time around.

I'm an Oahu resident. For amazing views, drive either up or down the Windward side of the island. Lots of photo-worthy beach and mountain views. Aloha.

I'm an Oahu resident. For amazing views, drive either up or down the Windward side of the island. Lots of photo-worthy beach and mountain views. Aloha.

I totally second this, it is hard to believe how incredible the drive can be on the East side. One of my most favorite things about Oahu is taking the H3 highway across the middle of the island to the East through the mountains. I know it isnt ocean views but the mountains are seriously breathtaking and then when you come out on the other side and you see the ocean it is unreal.

upload_2019-1-22_7-45-32.png

I totally second this, it is hard to believe how incredible the drive can be on the East side. One of my most favorite things about Oahu is taking the H3 highway across the middle of the island to the East through the mountains. I know it isnt ocean views but the mountains are seriously breathtaking and then when you come out on the other side and you see the ocean it is unreal.

View attachment 377425

That's gorgeous! Great tip! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for replying!

View attachment 377425
yes this!!!!!

Lots of great suggestions above. We especially like the tip about the H3. Also, try following the coastal road along the south east side of the island. Spectacular coast line and a blow hole to see along the way.

We’ve been to Ko Olina 5(?) times now, and finally on this last trip drove up the coast from Ko Olina. We didn’t really do any research ahead of time, just winged it, and the road ended at Ka’ena Point State Park. There was a trail to walk on, but were in flip flops, so we just walked up a little bit. We enjoyed the view and took lots of photos! We want to go back with proper attire, and explore some more!

Attachments

• F70F5F4D-5076-4D61-B55F-3EC961FAD5E0.jpeg
    F70F5F4D-5076-4D61-B55F-3EC961FAD5E0.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 21
There was a pretty big landslide on the Pali highway/H3 on Sunday and it is going to be closed for a while so heads up to any one looking at this thread and thinking of travelling through the island via the Pali

There was a pretty big landslide on the Pali highway/H3 on Sunday and it is going to be closed for a while so heads up to any one looking at this thread and thinking of travelling through the island via the Pali

Just to clarify since I’m not familiar with the area, is the H3 itself still open? That’s still a beautiful drive, right? Or is the issue that with another highway closed, the H3 may be extra busy or something? Just trying to figure out if we could/should still drive the H3 for some beautiful views. Thanks!!

Pali Hwy and the H3 are the same thing-it is currently only open to cross island traffic during commute hours and closed the rest of the day while repairs are made. It is a beautiful drive but probably not a good choice for the next couple of weeks.

Pali Hwy and the H3 are the same thing-it is currently only open to cross island traffic during commute hours and closed the rest of the day while repairs are made. It is a beautiful drive but probably not a good choice for the next couple of weeks.
Thanks for this info. Hopefully repairs will be complete before we go in a few months.

I know they have a car rental place on site, can you do day rentals so if i wanted to drive the island one day I could rent for just that day?

We drove on the west coast only. It was horrible. Next time we’ll take the time to drive on the other side.

We visited Hanauma Bay and from there there is a beautiful scenic drive.

F63503AD-A438-46F3-8274-8157F5E6CD80.jpeg 8394E798-B07B-4BC5-BC58-64F619327C64.jpeg 718D6F56-ABAF-439C-A914-CFF5A130CE5B.jpeg 9403F11C-5C90-4CA6-8CE7-BB5A23155164.jpeg D17421F9-C9D2-4680-89B0-4F8178441932.jpeg

Attachments

• F73918D0-C281-492B-ADCC-A73DC3836093.jpeg
    F73918D0-C281-492B-ADCC-A73DC3836093.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 6
Pali Hwy and the H3 are the same thing-

I'm an Oahu resident. The Pali Highway and the H-3 are NOT the same roads. There are three routes over the Ko'olau Mountains: the Pali, the Likelike, and the H-3. Only the Pali is closed. (Currently they are opening it during the morning and afternoon rush hours, M-F, but that could change.) Aloha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter