My 12 & a half yr old wants to be a teen

lovethatdisney

Mouseketeer
Going on my first disney cruise 8/3/03. Im afraid my 12 & a half year old son will be bored in the kids club vs. the teen club since he'll be close to turning 13 (but not within the month requirement) How strict is Disney about the age requirement?

Also, is there anyone that can let me now how their twelve year old boy enjoyed the kids club activities?:smooth:

Thanks!

The last time we sailed my son was exactly 12.5 also. The first afternoon in the Lab he met a boy his age from the Boston area. By that evening the parents were meeting and setting common ground rules. Both were given sign in and out privileges and requirements on checking in. From then on they were inseparable for the entire cruise. They did quite a bit in the Lab and when the activities were not to their liking they'd sign out, check in with one set of parents or both, and then either go to the pool, game area, etc. Never had a problem out of them and they had a blast!

BTW-they were allowed to "visit" Common Grounds a few times and felt out of place and not really ready to be there. I've heard this from other posts on the board as well.

Deb

I understand what you are going through! My dd was 2 months (1 month 5 days to be exact) shy of 13 when we cruised and she was upset about not being able to go to Common Grounds. However, once we were onboard, she hooked up with some friends and had a blast. She still emails a few of them. DCL does stick to their rules on age limits in the Teen area. I felt bad about her being so close yet so far away when it comes to the teen excursions, but then I realized she wouldn't have any of her friends on those excursions anyway. She had a lot of fun in spite of her (and my) apprehensions beforehand. He'll have a great time - there is so much to do for every age group. They did get to spend some time in Common Grounds on their own while the teen group was somewhere else.

Let me assure you, that a 12-1/2 yr old would most likely NOT feel comfortable with the "Common Grounds" group. My daughter has been with the teen group for our last cruise and there is a BIG difference with being "almost a teen" and even the 14+ teens. I hate to say it, but my daughter and others her age (16-17) don't appreciate having anyone younger than 13 in the teen area. That's why they separate them into groups. It's not that my daughter is snobby -- it's just the older teenagers don't appreciate the younger teens and the younger teens will feel left out. ;)

My DD had just turned 13 when we cruise this year and we decided to keep her back with the 10-12 year olds (her sister and cousin were in that age group). We were very happy we did. There is a big difference from just turning 13 and being a real teen at 16-17. I'm sure your son will have a great time in his age group.

When we went, my ds was almost 12. He had a great time. He can't wait to get back to the clubs and he'll be close to 13 at the time. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter