My 50th Birthday Solo Trip Blow-Out (Sept 2-13, 2017)

useakiss

Am I there yet?
Pre-trip and Friday, September 1st

With the encouragement from several people both here and on Facebook, I've decided to document my recent trip. I've been thinking about the best way to capture everything, and I've decided to break the 12 days into separate entries for each day's activities, along with observations, thoughts, and very rare complaints (consider them more as suggestions for improvement).

If you'd like to read about my pre-trip thoughts and reasons for my trip, please read my initial post at Time for Some Me Time.

I'll start this thread out with a little explanation of how my trip was actually planned.

Once I committed to this trip, an online friend recommended me to a friend of hers who ran a small travel agency that was affiliated with Disney (no names to respect DIS). I knew next to nothing about modern Disney World (I hadn't visited since 1986) or how to go about planning day-to-day reservations and Fastpasses, etc. The very scope of it all was mind-boggling. I'm somebody who prefers to plan things on my own, but I was concerned that it would take me too long to do my homework and that there would still be too many unknown factors. All I wanted was for this to be as snag-free as possible. So I agreed to sign up with the agent, whose method is to handle EVERYTHING. She not only does booking for all reservations, but she also works out an efficient walking plan for each day to limit backtracking, catching shows, and standing in long lines, etc.

In the long run I think she did a great job, with the exception of one decision that I'll go into a little later. In the months and days leading up to my trip, however, I found myself more and more anxious because I felt that not only was I not in the driver's seat, but I was essentially locked in the trunk and blind to where we were going. Her method is to create a My Disney account for me, with an ID and password and email also created by her, which meant I was locked out from seeing anything. Because she was the middleman, Disney sent the package with Magicband to her, and then she turned around and sent that, along with printouts of her day-to-day schedule and walking plans and password information. Because of that delay, it meant I didn't receive any of this information or materials until two days before my flight...so you can imagine my distress as the clock ticked down. I only had those couple of days to familiarize myself with the times and directions before I was on my way. She did also include a "day bag kit" of all sorts of essentials (hand wipes, pocket kleenex pack, small first-aid kit, hair ties, safety pins, etc.) and a $25 Disney gift card, things I wasn't expecting so it was a very nice and thoughtful gift.

My employer gave us a nice 4-day weekend for Labor Day, but I wasn't flying until that Saturday, Sept 2, so I spent Friday running last-minute errands, setting up my three cats for limited pet-sitter visits, some house chores, and packing. By Saturday morning, I was essentially ready to go and just had to pack the last-minute essentials.

Things I forgot to do before leaving?
  • I purchased extra cat litter but forgot to bring it up from the car (my friend and volunteer pet-sitter had to use my car keys and haul up the bag herself)
  • Close my windows (it was nice and cool when I left, but got hot and humid again while I was gone)
Things I forgot to pack?
  • A hat (frustrating because I'd bought one just for the trip, had to buy one onsite because the sun was brutal--it was worth it as it also cut down on the number of times I had to dig into my backpack to swap glasses/prescription sunglasses)
  • Sudefed or other antihistamine (I don't normally have allergy issues, but one day something I encountered set me off and it was bad enough that I worried I'd caught a cold--I picked up some Sudefed from the resort gift shop and it cleared me right up, no problem the rest of my trip)
Things I packed that I never used?
  • Swim goggles
  • Rain poncho (I used it once, briefly, but it was too darned hot to wear and I got wetter from sweat than from rain--a small umbrella was much more convenient)
  • Sunscreen lotion (too difficult to apply traveling solo, had to pay resort price for spray-on type)
Things I didn't pack and didn't anticipate needing?
  • Product to drain my ears after spending half a day at Typhoon Lagoon (despite everything, I could not get my left ear to drain--in desperation, I went to the resort gift store in hopes of finding a solution, and god bless Disney for selling a product specifically for this problem!)
Things I packed that were super useful?
  • Large size carabiner clip on my day-bag/backpack (awesome for hanging the bag from restroom doors if no hooks were present)
  • Small Umbrella (perfect for handling the typically brief Florida summer afternoon showers, easily fits into a side pocket of my backpack)
  • Wine bottle opener and wine bottle stopper (for obvious reasons)
  • Little bottle of hand sanitizer attached to strap of day bag for quick and regular access
  • Small and large ziplock bags (great for snacks, protecting electronics from rain, leftovers, collecting receipts, etc.)
  • Industrial sized bottle of Aleve (Advil just wasn't cutting it)
  • Two pairs of excellent walking shoes to alternate daily
  • Foot-specific first aid kit (included sheets of moleskin, a small foldable scissors, alcohol wipes, nail clippers, tweezers, safety pin for popping blisters, and blister-specific bandaids) (the scissors came in handy for lots of things)
  • Tennis ball (use as acupressure on bottoms of feet after a long day of walking)
  • Individually packed wet lens wipes (my glasses regularly got smeared, sprinkled, and smudged throughout the day)
  • Hand-held rechargeable fan (this was a life-saver due to the heat/humidity, both walking and while standing in line)(bought a good one on Amazon, uses USB charger, puts out an excellent wind)
  • A couple of loose and light-weight white button-up shirts I could throw on over a tank top to "dress up" for signature dining (rolled up easily and didn't take up much room in the pack)
  • Laundry kit (ziplock containing detergent pods and dryer sheets--with machines already costing $3 per machine per load, I didn't want to spend additional money on supplies that were easily packed)
  • Two rechargeable battery packs (you can spend $30 on a fuel rod and swap them out regularly onsite, but I already owned two of my own, which allowed me to leave one charging while taking the other with me for the day)
  • Four-slot wall-socket/USB charger with two iPhone/iPad adapters and two lines with the other standard charger type (this allowed me to charge two phones, a battery pack, and my portable fan all at the same time, etc.)
Purchases I regretted?
  • The resort refillable mug (I wasn't using a meal plan, so spent $18 on the mug, but almost never had TIME to use it--I usually ate either at Disney Springs or at the parks, and doing rope-drop nearly every day meant lugging the mug around if I took it with me. Plus I was arriving back at my room too late to want to drink anything. I DID eventually use it a lot when I was forced to extend my stay due to Hurricane Irma, particularly the Monday afterward when the parks were closed, but that was NOT anticipated, and I wouldn't have gotten my money's worth otherwise. I didn't even bring it home with me because it didn't actually hold much and wasn't particularly good at keeping the drink cold for long--that's what I have Tervis glasses for--and it would have just become clutter. I don't even drink soda anymore, but I knew they also offered iced tea, which is why I got it in the first place. I'd have to think hard about whether I'd buy it again--it would totally depend on how many "down days" I've scheduled.)
Purchases I didn't regret?
  • Travel package insurance (Hello, Irma!)(While Disney offered me 40% off on the three additional nights I ended up staying before I could fly home, it was still a substantial additional expense, plus meals, so the insurance was absolutely worth it--if you're planning any sort of trip to a hurricane-prone region, it's a wise investment.)
I think that'll do it for this entry--next I'll start the day-by-day notes. :tink:

Last edited:
Saturday, September 2nd
I woke up early that morning of departure, eager to go! I'd already packed all but what I needed that morning, so I quickly emptied the dish washer, cleaned the cat pans one last time, set up their dry food feeder and cleaned their water fountain, set out cans of cat food and additional dishes for the pet-sitter, took out the garbage, and then finally showered. While dressing, I put on my shiny new bright green Magicband because why not?! (It rarely left my wrist for the next 12 days.) I'd allowed myself enough time to have a simple breakfast before calling for a taxi because I knew I wouldn't have time for a proper meal until early evening at the soonest--and I was glad I did.

I arrived at Reagan National in DC and checked in without incident, but we were about 10 minutes late in boarding my Southwest flight. The flight down to Atlanta was uneventful. I was a little concerned about my 30-minute window for my connection since I'd never been to that airport before and had heard stories--I'm used to dealing with O'Hare and having to transfer wings because of the stupid logistics whenever flying home to central Wisconsin. But since I was sticking with Southwest for both legs, the gates were close to one another, which was a good thing because as our plane came to a stop at the boarding dock, they couldn't get it to latch on properly to the plane. We sat there for a good 15 minutes before they finally gave up, asked everyone to stow away their carryons again and sit back down while they backed up the plane and moved to another gate. Feeling a little panicked, I flagged down one of the flight attendants to let her know that I had a connection in less than 30 minutes--she got my connecting gate/flight numbers and said she'd notify the pilot about it. Then she came back a minute later and told me my next gate was only two away and that their flight hadn't started boarding yet so I still had a little time. They finally succeeded and we were able to deplane. I had just enough time to hit the restroom before getting on onboard. Unfortunately, that leg was extremely rough and bumpy, to the point that they canceled the drinks and the flight attendants rode it out strapped to their seats. By the time I arrived in Orlando, it was after 3pm and I was already feeling a bit beat up.

One of the best perks from staying at a Disney resort is their Disney Magical Express (DME) service. It provides a special luggage tag and airport sticker that directs your luggage straight from the plane to the DME buses, meaning I never had to reclaim my bag--I could go straight to the DME service desk and board the appropriate bus that would take me to my resort, where my bag would arrive and be delivered to my room later without my needing to wait for it.

I stepped outside the airport toward my designated bus and was nearly bowled over by the virtually solid wall of humidity that hit me! Ugh! The reality of doing a Disney trip over Labor Day weekend sank in as I realized this is what I'd have to deal with for the next 9 days. I was grateful to get on the bus, which was comfortable and blessedly cool. They played Disney orientation videos and the occasional classic Mickey cartoon on the way to WDW. Unfortunately it was right around rush hour and the traffic reaching WDW was quite heavy at times, with periods where the lights changed but we didn't move. When we finally reached WDW, my bus first stopped at the Old Key West and Port Orleans: Riverside resorts before we finally arrived at Port Orleans: French Quarter. I actually liked the opportunity to see the Old Key West resort--it was very lovely and relaxed.

Once I got off the bus, I decided to stop at the Front Desk anyway, even though I didn't need to technically check in since that was handled via the My Disney app by my agent earlier that day. I wanted to get a map of the resort, I had some questions, and I wanted to ask for one of the Birthday pins I'd been told I should get. The cast member was friendly, helpful, and personalized the pin for me. :)
full

I headed off to find my room. PO:FQ is what's called a Moderate Resort (meaning moderately priced), and all the rooms face the outside, akin to a motel. I had decided while booking the resort that I didn't want to pay extra for an upgrade (most resorts have tiered prices depending on where the room is located and what it faces). With the PO:FQ you have the choice of water, pool, garden, or standard (no "glamorous" views). I went with Standard. The next step up (garden view) was around $20 a night more and since it was only me and I'd probably rarely be there during the day to know the difference, I didn't feel it was worth it. I quickly discovered that the resort is so small (the smallest in all of Disney) that the differences in views were almost nonexistant--all I had to do was walk to the end of my floor and I would view the garden, and there was enough lush foliage that I couldn't see the parking lot from my room anyway. I was placed in Building 3, on the third and top floor in Room 3339. As it turned out, my building was right next to the main lobby/shop/restaurant building, so I actually had better placement convenience-wise, IMO, than those who'd paid more. Here's the view from outside my door.
full

Here's my room. The decorations were simple and functional, which I appreciated. Although I was alone, I liked how the toilet and shower/bath had their own solid door, but the mirrors and sinks had the additional curtain you could draw to not disturb fellow guests. I did NOT like the choice of white coverlets on the beds. While I'm sure that's easier for cleaning, I found it offputting because they always looked unmade to me. They also made me self-conscious about staining it, and it kept reminding me of hospital beds. :crazy2:
full

My main bag had not arrived yet from DME, so I quickly unpacked my carryon bags, freshened up, then headed out to wander around and familiarize myself with the rest of the resort. I was gratified to find that the resort lived up to my expectations for delivering a well-shaded, relaxed, quiet, and intimate feel that would act as an oasis from the parks. The day I took these pics it was overcast so they don't do the beauty of the place justice. It was lovely and I'd absolutely stay there again (best ratio of convenience to value in all of Disney, from what I saw on my trip). Of all the Moderate and Luxury resorts, this one had probably the least elaborate or themed pools, so I didn't think to take pictures--sorry.
full

full

full

I then walked over to the boat dock with the intention of enjoying the leisurely ride over to Disney Springs (while it's within the WDW grounds and features some of the same perks, like using the MagicBands to charge to your room, same level of customer service, and and open and family-friendly environment, it is a functioning public mall with all sorts of non-Disney shops and restaurants, etc.). However, it was raining on and off and so the boats weren't running. I then headed over to the one and only bus stop at our resort (all the other much larger resorts have multiple stops) to catch a bus to DS. I'll say that in my entire stay, this was the only time I had to stand because all the seats were taken.

It took about 20 minutes to reach DS from PO:FQ (lots of stoplights and traffic). My first impression was that it was a very confusing maze with no logical layout, made even more confusing by the fact that it was dusk when I arrived. I was trying to hold an umbrella with one hand, a confusing map with just numbers (all the accompanying names were inside the crease on the other side) all while navigating through the heavy Saturday night/Labor Day crowd. While I had done a little studying of the map while at home, I'd done it from the orientation point of the boat dock--but the bus stop threw me off because I wasn't sure where I was in relation to things and it took me a while to get a clue where I was or where I was heading. It's also confusing because most all of the stores have multiple wide-open entrances without doors, so it's easy to forget which side you entered from or what direction you're heading when you leave.

All I knew was that that my blood-sugar levels had to be rock-bottom by that point because I hadn't eaten anything since the peanuts on my first leg of the flight in, and a PB&J sandwich for breakfast. I had one destination in mind by that point--I wanted to find Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar! I'd read about it, friends told me it was great, and I'm a huge Indiana Jones fan, so it was a MUST DO stop. It felt like forever by the time I finally found it. I shook off my umbrella and stepped up to the door. The group of cast members at the door greeted me with big Happy Birthdays because of my button. I told them I was just relieved to have finally found the place. One of them told me to follow her and she led me into the back and proceeded to introduce me to every single bartender in the place because she wanted them to know it was my special day and she wanted me to know each by name! :thumbsup2

My impressions of Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar? I LOVED it. The decor was rich with details and in-jokes and an exotic collection of 1940s-era memorabilia that you would expect to find in an Indy movie, etc. The cast members were a hoot--friendly and funny and clearly enjoying themselves while still being super helpful and efficient.
full

full

I tried a couple of crazy drinks including Reggie's Revenge, the toxic green brew in the bubbling decanter (Florida Cane 'Orlando Orange' Vodka, Midori Melon Liqueur, White Cranberry Juice, and fresh Lime Juice). I also tried the Mac's Pork Belly Sliders (crisped Pork Belly Slider with Braised Red Cabbage, Swiss, and House-made Russian Dressing served on a Butter-brushed Baguette) which were tasty and just what I needed.
full

While sitting at the bar (the place was packed) I struck up numerous conversations with fellow customers as they came and went, as well as the two bartenders serving me. At one point I asked if someone could take my picture, and as she did so, the bartender photobombed me and handed me a pair of pewter "Wings"--my first magical moment!
full

The next drink I ordered had to be the one in the monkey head because reasons. It was okay but I'll admit I liked Reggie's Revenge more.
full

full

At one point another cast member entered the bar and suddenly the other cast members and a number of the customers started cheering, as if he was some minor celebrity. I was a little nonplussed as I watched my bartender walk over to him, say something and then point at me! He came over and introduced himself (sadly I can't recall his name and I can't read his nametag in the pic). He was wonderful, enthusiastic, and said he wanted to make my birthday vacation very special.
full

He asked me if I knew what gris-gris is. I said that I'd heard the term before and thought it had something to do with Voodoo. He explained that yet, it came from that origin and how there were different types and how he was going to help me create my own piece of gris-gris for good luck. He handed me a penny and asked me to mark my initials on one side and to draw some sort of symbol on the other side. I drew the Mickey ears. Then he had me hold the penny in my palm and close my hand tight, then start to imagine it getting softer, like something was melting. After a minute, he had me open my hand and the penny had bent! ::yes::
full

Later I was talking with a young couple that settled next to me, and we had a long and entertaining conversation, and they bought me a drink! I didn't want to abuse their generosity by ordering one of the expensive novelty drinks, so I just got a Hanger Lime vodka with soda. :thumbsup2

After probably a good two hours, I figured I should finally leave and wander a bit before heading back to the resort. It had stopped raining by then, so I explored several of the Disney-related shops looking for cool souvenirs and shirts I might want later. I found a couple of things, and just enjoyed walking around and soaking in the night life while feeling perfectly safe.
full

There was a live concert on one dock, and next to the Dockside Margarita stand there was a single guitarist playing Santana-style music. He was fantastic so I decided to have one last drink for the night, ordering the Sunset Margarita (Don Julio Reposado Tequila, Cointreau, fresh Lime Juice, Sweet-and-Sour and Orange Juice), which was fantastic and became in my instant go-to whenever I wanted a drink for the boat trip home.
full

After a couple of false starts, I finally figured out how to reach the boatlanding that would take me back to my resort (it's out of the way and a bit of a walk from the shops). The view along that boatride at night was lovely, calm, quiet, and relaxing. There's no question, if I have a choice between a bus or a boat, I'm going with the boat!

It took about 20 minutes to reach my resort, and my luggage was waiting for me in my room when I got there. I finished unpacking, organizing my room, and basically making myself at home.

My first overall impressions after that first evening? Excellent service everywhere I went, cast members from all strokes and levels wishing me a happy birthday (and even a lot of fellow guests), a clean and safe environment, and just lovely landscaping and decorating everywhere. I didn't have a single moments' doubt that I'd made the right decision in coming to Disney World for my first destination vacation in over 15 years. I was looking forward to my first full day at Disney!

Last edited:
Sunday, September 3rd
When I'd originally spoken on the phone with my agent, I'd explained how long I wanted to be there and how I'd want a break day at some point to sleep in, rest my feet, hit one of the water parks, and maybe explore one of the luxury resorts. That conversation was in February. I never saw how she planned out my 9 days/8 nights until after she'd already completed my Fastpasses 60 days later, at which point I learned that she'd made my FIRST day my "rest day." I'm still not sure I understand what her reasoning was, but by then it was too late because of all the dinner and Fastpass reservations. I was stuck with the conundrum of what to do that first day, when I'd squeeze in doing laundry (I certainly didn't need to do it my first day), and whether I could survive 7 straight days of rope-drop park days! No matter what I did, it would mean abandoning some of the plans she'd laid out or booked.

For that first day, I did have a late breakfast reservation at Kona Cafe at the Polynesian resort, but nothing else planned, so I decided it would be the best day for me to hit Typhoon Lagoon, and then maybe Animal Kingdom Lodge afterward to find some dinner that evening. It would give me the chance to get familiar with Monorail and bus systems, as well as see one of the luxury resorts I'd not had any intention to visit otherwise (I hadn't booked at dinner reservations at AKL because it was just too inconvenient). I put on my swimsuit and then shorts and a top over it so I go head straight to the waterpark after breakfast.

Because there are no direct Disney transport routes between resorts (well, there are a few, but not many and not in my case), I hopped on a bus from PO:FQ to the main entrance for the Magic Kingdom, where I could in theory then get on the Monorail that would take me to the Polynesian resort. I'd given myself plenty of time to explore the resort and just lounge around and absorb the atmosphere, so I wasn't hurried. I went through the two lines of security inspections at the gate (one searches your bags, the second is a metal scan), but then made my first big mistake of my trip. I couldn't figure out where to go, so rather than turn left and onto the path that lead to the Transportation Center, I thought it was on the path to the right where a lot of people were walking toward the gate. The path followed the Monorail line, so I thought it was right. But I kept walking, and kept walking, getting closer and closer to the Contemporary resort. Then I walked past the security line those people had passed through, and I realized my major mistake but by then it was really too late so I just continued on. I had essentially done a huge and unnecessary (and hot and muggy) walk all the way to the closest resort. A bit frustrated but determined not to let this put me in the wrong mood, I just laughed it off as a learning experience and as an opportunity to explore a bit of the Contemporary while I was there.

My impressions of the Contemporary luxury resort? Eh. I know that back in the 1970s this DID feel modern and awesome and cool (OMG, the Monorails runs THROUGH it!), but IMO it hasn't aged as well as those that are specifically themed like the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian, which are sort of timeless. Now it sort of feels like any other high-end convention hotel, all polished steal and patterned carpeting and expansive but empty spaces. There's no question that guests staying there are paying premium rates for the sheer convenience of being within walking distance (I should know!) of the Magic Kingdom, and of that handy Monorail that can zoom you to the other resorts or to Epcot. But "contemporary" implies modern and it really isn't anymore.

Of course, once I'd left the secured area around the Magic Kingdom, it meant I had to go through the security line in the Contemporary to get on the Monorail. Then I was finally recovered from my goof and on my way to the Polynesian resort.
full

The Monorail drops you off on a platform attached to the second level of the Polynesian's main lobby. You walk in and are greeted by one of the coolest spaces I found on my entire trip. It was instant love!
full

This resort always fascinated me, even when I was a little kid. It is still on my Bucket List for staying there, if even for just one night. I just love the theme, landscape, and feel of it. It's one of the few that truly transports you to something exotic.
full

full

full

I offered to take pics of a family so they could snap one for me as well. I'm just waiting to get lei'ed here.:rolleyes:
full

I checked in for my reservation and then found a cushy chair to relax in and update Facebook. When I was finally called and seated, this is what I ordered. The pancakes with Macadamia Nut Butter, Pineapple Sauce, with Bacon, and a glass of Liliko'i Juice (Orange, Passion Fruit, and Guava blend). It was fantastic!
full

Afterward, I had to take a bus to Disney Springs and then hop on yet another bus that took me to Typhoon Springs (again, no direct means), so that took over an hour. Once there, I rented a locker and stuffed my bag and clothes and electronics in there (barely, the guidelines on the automated rental kiosk are not accurate, IMO--I would have got the bigger one but I'd already paid for the first). I'd been proactive in packing a snug neck-strap for my prescription sunglasses so I could swim with them and see my surroundings. I don't have any pictures from this park for obvious reasons, but you can certainly visit the My Disney images or Youtube videos for an idea of what it's like.

My impressions of Typhoon Lagoon: I haven't visited a LOT of water parks, and even fewer lately, but I've been to a handful over the years and this one was the best. Once again the Disney attention to detail when it come to landscaping and theme are excellent, although I'll admit I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't any anamatronics--that seems an obvious oversight, but it might be due to the simple issues of this being all outdoors and exposed to weathering. It has the longest Lazy River I've ever enjoyed, with thick tropical vegetation and flocks of wild Ibis birds that contributed to that exotic jungle feel. I definitely spent the majority of my time just drifting around and around. My other favorite attraction was the huge Surf Pool--it's the biggest in North America, with 6-foot waves that would really send you tumbling if you weren't prepared. I spent a lot of time treading water out in the deepest part so I could try and bodysurf, etc. Loved it! On my next trip I'd want to visit this park again, but I would want more than one day (you pay a single $69 for unlimited visits while you're there in a resort, and it's relatively close to PO:FQ so it only take about 40 minutes to go from room to pool).

EDIT -- An additional thought about the water park that occurred to me later: I did find myself disappointed by just how many of the raft-related attractions there were family-only. I've been to other parks where they would make attempts to place solo riders with other small groups so you could still enjoy the attraction, but that didn't happen here. This meant I couldn't enjoy more than half of the thrill features there, which did put a bit of a damper on my enjoyment and sense of value for the additional admission charge. While I absolutely spent most of my time on the Lazy River and Surf Pool, that was in part because the so much of the rest was off-limits. There should be some sort of explanation of this when you purchase so at least you don't spend 30 minutes in line only to be let down and sent away (as happened to me). This was the only real moment of shame I felt in my entire trip because I was traveling solo. Not cool.

Eventually I was exhausted and had enough sun, so dried off and got dressed, then took a bus back to Disney Springs and transferred to a bus that took me all the way out to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. That took another good 60 minutes or more, so I was glad it was on my "off" day.
As with the other luxury resort, this one stuns you as you walk into the main lobby. It was huge and beautifully appointed, with a strong African flavor that made you feel like you'd been transported to a lodge while on safari, fully of ingenious decorative touches and detail.
full

full

Off to one side of the main lobby you could look down into the Victoria Falls lounge on the mid-level floor and the Boma buffet restaurant on the ground floor. I didn't have reservations so I could only admire.
full

I was pretty hungry by this point since I hadn't eaten since breakfast, so I headed for the cafeteria-style restaurant, The Mara, for some dinner. I ended up ordering the Braai Chicken Flatbread (Oak-fried Chicken, Sun-dried Tomato Pesto, Bacon, Red Onion, Mozzarella, and Sag Dahi Ranch), which was excellent, filling, and only $10 (a steal by Disney prices).
full

Here's a tip: If you want to eat some great food but don't quite feel like dealing with 120-day reservations or high prices, look for restaurants and lounges located NEXT TO the signature restaurants. They often share the same kitchens and you can sample the same quality for less money and hassle. :rolleyes1

After dinner, I still had enough energy to wander through the main courtyard a little, which allowed you views of the safari grounds of Animal Kingdom. I'm talking real animals. I got to watch them feed some giraffes along with various other antelope, etc.
Here's the view from outside Boma.
full

full

By then I was pretty exhausted, plus I couldn't get my left ear to drain after the swimming and it was starting to kill my mood because I couldn't hear with one ear, so I took the bus back to Disney Springs, did a little bit more shopping, getting more familiar with the grounds, and then grabbed another Dockside margarita for the boat ride home, where I made an early night of it since I was hitting the Magic Kingdom first thing the next morning. But I did see one last awesome sight before the boat ride. While walking past the huge Lego store, I saw the most impressive Lego statue, a dragon and knight!
full

I took the boat back to my resort again, then checked the gift store's basics section to see if they had anything to help--and lo, they had a product just for that purpose! Once I got to my room, my ear was cleared within minutes. :dumbo:
Then I showered and kicked back with a ginger ale and Captain Morgan mini that I happened to pack for just such emergencies.

Last edited:
It sure sounds like you had an excellent first two days! I did a solo trip for my 50th last year and LOVED it! In fact, I loved it so much I did another solo trip this summer, except for longer! Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!

Having fun reading about your adventures! The travel agent thing made my blood pressure skyrocket though, I can't imagine waiting so close to trip time to have your plans and things!! I wish you'd have had access to My Disney Experience so you could have swapped things around yourself. But I'm admittedly a control freak!!

After several family trips, I did my first solo visit in May. I love reading about others' solo experiences with WDW!!

Sounds like the arrival and first full day were successful - looking forward to more!

Thanks, guys. I'm enjoying writing things up because the memories are still fresh and making me smile going through them again.

Yeah, the travel agent thing was not the normal experience, I learned after the fact. While I thought her walking plan was fairly sound and helped cut down on extra walking and unnecessary wait times, the stress I experienced leading up to the trip drove me crazy. I'm sure that there are people who would love to let someone else handle everything, but it's clearly not for me. Now that I know what's involved and how to do it, I'll be handling it myself next time.

Yeah! :tigger:! you're doing a trip report! So far it sounds like you are having a great trip. Thanks for the part on what you packed and did/didn't/etc use. That is a hugh help as I haven't been since 2004 and that was with my mother and sp needs daughter. PO-FQ sounds lovely. We where supossed to stay there in 2001 but with so few people going, they closed it and sent us to PO-RS. We stayed at the AKL with a savana view for a couple of nights and spent time watching the animals - it was worth it for us. I hope to go again if only for 1 night but it will be a down day so I can enjoy it.

I can't imagine using a travel agent who controls that much! I would be stressing also. Love your report and photos!

Sorry for the delay in more postings--life and work have been crazy since I got back. You know it's bad when you forget it's payday! I'm still going through my pics, too. I'm hoping to write up the next post later on Friday, so stay tuned.

Great report! Although I have been to the parks and resorts many times, I am enjoying in effect, "seeing things for the first time" as I read your report!

Monday, September 4rd
My first park day! As it should be, I spent it at the Magic Kingdom. Understandably excited, I got up early and ate a breakfast granola bar while getting dressed, then I headed straight for the bus. By the time I arrived and walked to the two-part security line, the opening ceremony was already going on (I could hear it).

Observations about security: They appreciate (and usually ask) that you unzip every single compartment of your bag while you're waiting for your turn, and they examine everything in it, so be prepared and be patient and spend a few moments afterward repacking. Don't carry anything you won't absolutely need because if you plan to park-hop or hit a resort or use the Monorail at some point, you're going to go through this process multiple times and it's a pain. Keep it simple to keep it fast. Also, you have to remove any celebration pins from your shirt to pass through the metal detector, so do yourself a favor and attach it to something else like the arm strap of your backpack or outer shirt you can just strip off and pass around so it's still easily visible while walking but you don't have to remove it every time you go through security.

Even though I missed seeing the opening show, I stepped over to the side to just gaze upon the main gate for posterity's sake because it felt a bit like a family tradition.
full

The first thing on my planned agenda for that day was to take a hard right into the "Town Hall" building for a meet-and-greet with Tinkerbell. I stepped in and joined the longer line, and only then learned that this was the line for Mickey. I debated switching, but then decided to stay since I had no other planned opportunity to meet Mickey, and this was likely the shortest line for him that I would face, while Tink's was comparatively very short anyway, so I could do both without throwing off my plan too much. While in line, I ended up talking with a large Hispanic family in the park for a big family reunion from across the nation, which was very cool. I was just glad I was ahead of them in the line. :)
I have to say, the talking Mickey is a bit...weird. I think I prefer the full-body characters to be silent because it's a little disconcerting trying to have a conversation with a bunch of pre-recorded messages.
full

Tinkerbell, on the other hand, was a blast and I'm so glad I didn't decide to skip meeting her. She was funny, her enthusiasm was contagious, and she helped get me into the right mindset to enjoy the rest of my day and vacation (if I wasn't already).
full
:tinker:

Observation: There's a saying that no matter where you go, there you are. It basically means that unless you deliberately change your attitude, you will bring your troubles with you. When I left on this trip, I made a choice to leave behind worries and concerns and stress that 1) I had no control over, and 2) would only negatively taint everything I did while I was there. So I pushed them out of my head and as much as I could and embraced the happy message around me. I was there to have fun and to be happy. I decided not to let the crowds get on my nerves. I decided that rather than get frustrated, I'd let it roll off me and find other ways to occupy my mind, be it through talking with other people or just going to find a quiet spot to relax and reset if it got overwhelming (which was rare). I decided that if I really wanted to experience some of the famous magic of Disney World, I would first had to open myself up to it--and that meant interacting with characters and talking with kids and helping others and paying the smile forward at every opportunity. And in nearly every instance, throughout my entire stay, this proved to be the right attitude. I walked around with the biggest dumb grin on my face every day, even in the worst of the heat (it probably looked as much like a grimace as a smile at times), but dang it, I was ENJOYING myself. And the magic kept finding me.
:smickey:

Tips, particularly for solo travelers but really for everyone:
  • Talk with cast members, and I don't mean just make demands. Speak to them like you would to anyone you see on a daily basis. Ask them how they are. When they wish you a magical day, return the favor. Be considerate of their time and effort. SMILE. Remember that magic isn't compulsory--you can't MAKE it happen. But they CAN if you inspire them.
  • Talk with people around you, whether on the bus or in line or even seated at the table next to you in a restaurant. They'll let you know ASAP whether they want to return the conversation--and read the signals if they're not interested in engaging. But it was my experience that most people were happy to talk about why they were there, what they'd already done or were planning to do, and where they were from, etc. It not only helps to pass the time while in line and share a few laughs, but it can have a positive impact both on your own experience and on theirs. You may even come away as friends!
  • Don't be afraid to be silly. Don't go to Disney World thinking you're too old to hug Tigger or ride the Teacups. If you think you're too old, you're missing the point and doing it wrong. It's for children of all ages, and it's one of the few times and places in the world where you can still be a child. This is what memories are made of, and those are the best souvenirs.
So anyway, after those character meet-ups, I wandered down the middle of Main Street as best I could (it was Labor Day and the park was packed). I stopped a couple of times to try out the professional photographers stationed at scenic or significant spots throughout all the parks to take photos for you (both with their camera and with whatever you hand them). They'll direct you where to stand and even ask you to pose in certain ways if they have special post-picture special affects that can be added later. I usually hopped in line whenever I spotted one since I'd paid for the Memory Maker package and there was no limit or extra charge. Depending on where they were located, I often found them just standing with no line or maybe just one or two people, so it only took a few moments to have a few snapped.

Opinion regarding the Memory Maker photo package and service: IMO the results were mixed for me. I'll freely admit that I'm too harsh on myself and don't consider my self photogenic at all (I'm jealous of people who make it look so easy and strike instant and natural poses--I just usually look drunk), so some of them I just don't like, period ,and it isn't their fault. But some of them just didn't look good for lighting or set-up reasons. I did find that some of my best photos came from my iPhone, probably due to automatic settings or whatever. However, I can also see a huge value in this for families because it enables everyone to be in the picture. Another point--I expected more close-up and personal photos and not so many distant shots that sometimes lose me in the crowd. I don't want full-body shots, I want it to feel the face. Because of this I'll admit that I didn't download about half the pictures from them, which is a disappointment considering how much the package cost. I always think pictures are more more successful when they focus on the person and just use the Disney stuff in the background AS background--it's a subtle difference, but let me show you.
Here's me in the middle of Main Street in front of the Castle--as classic a Disney pic as you can get but nothing special.
full

And here's one from in front of Thunder Mountain. I love this one. :tink:
full

Moving on, because I had a very busy walking plan for that day, I didn't browse through the shops along Main Street or linger in front of the Castle, but I did pause long enough to snap a picture of the Crystal Palace, which is still one of my favorite structures in the Kingdom--I just love the Victorian-era design and feel of this greenhouse-like restaurant. This had originally been on my restaurant reservation list, but it ultimately was cut due to time and budget, but I think I'll do it next time.
full

Then I headed straight for Adventureland and the Jungle Cruise, which was the first big attraction on my list and one of my priorities.
full

Unfortunately I wasn't the only person with this idea, and this was why my walking plan started to go off the rails because I didn't have a Fastpass and the Stand-by line was much longer than my agent had estimated. By this time the heat and humidity was really starting to set in and while the line was under a roof and there were the occasional fans along the way, it wasn't nearly enough and by then sweat was rolling down my back. True to the entire Disney experience, there are tons of details along the zig-zagging line to create that sense of immersion and occasionally make you laugh (the difference between a real themepark and a no-frills amusement park). I snapped a few pics so show some of that detail that I love so much.
full

full

And of course the famous hissing spider! I said it's official name should be The Big Nope.
full

Once boarded on the boat, our guide and skipper was very entertaining rattling off an endless string of corney jokes and bad puns--exactly what everyone expects on a ride that's nearly 40 years old and beloved. This was one of my favorites from my childhood and it didn't disappoint--heck, it had been so long since I've been on it that there were portions that caught me by surprise.
Here was our fearful fearless skipper.
full

full

full

full

Once done with the Cruise, I headed over to the Enchanted Tiki Room (another classic childhood favorite), but there was still a wait before the next ride, so I decided to finally give the Dole Whip a try (I've heard so much about it!). I decided, though, that I'd get the swirl with vanilla ice cream to cut the sweetness a bit. However, I don't know if they screwed up or the machine was malfunctioning, but what he gave me was solid ice cream, no pineapple in it whatsoever. I was pretty disappointed but didn't have time to go back and make a deal about it, so I just ate half and threw the rest out and got into the line for the Enchanted Tiki Room. (Sorry, no pictures, but you can find video on Youtube, etc. I don't tend to take pictures from inside attractions because I don't want to break the spell or risk a flash that will disrupt it for others.) By today's standards this is pretty mild and the thrill seekers would call it boring, but honestly, how can you complain about anything that means sitting in the dark in the A/C while animatronic birds and flowers and Tiki statues sing at you for 15 minutes?

By this point I was actually nearly an hour behind on my walking plan and my Fastpass for Thunder Mountain was available, and the Stand-by Line for Pirates of the Caribbean was estimated at over 30 minutes, so I skipped it rather than risk missing my opportunity on the other. Sadly, I ended up running out of time this day and never made it back, so it had to wait until my next Magic Kingdom day and I would only get to ride it once. Likewise, I only got to ride the Cruise once because of time and then Hurricane Irma--but I'm getting ahead of myself!

I slogged up the incline and used my first Fastpass to skip the worst of the Thunder Mountain line, but there was no relief from the heat and sun until the last part before I was boarded. This was probably our favorite ride the last time my brother and I were there (during the last hour we rode it endlessly because the line was nonexistant). One advantage to doing the parks solo is that you often get a seat/car to yourself, which is what happened in this case. Even though this coaster is nearly 35 years old now, it's still one of the best on the grounds because of the combination of immersive theming and the relatively smooth ride. Nearly every coaster in Disney (with the exception of Rock N Rollercoaster at Hollywood Studios) trades the usual loops and extreme thrills for smarter designs that utilize banked curves and multiple dips. Frankly I prefer that. I think it means they have to think more about every inch of it.
Here's a glimpse of it. Again, the attention to detail about the surroundings and "story" are what separates Disney from all the rest, IMO.
full

Unfortunately Splash Mountain was closed for renovations during my entire stay (it had been scheduled since the spring), which was a real disappointment because I've never been on it--it opened a few years after my last visit. Maybe with luck I'll finally get to ride next time.

I'll admit that I skipped Tom Sawyer Island and riding on the steam paddlewheeler, etc. Partly because I was bored with them 30 years before and didn't feel an urge to revisit (it's a static walk-through that's more kid-oriented), and partly because it was around Noon by this point and somebody had left the sauna door open! I was getting a real wake-up call for what the rest of my week was going to be like and I was going to have to conserve energy as much as possible. I found a spot in the shade along the riverbank and just admired the ship as it rounded the bend in the river and was content.
full

I then headed for the Haunted Mansion, another one of my family's favorites and a MUST DO on my list. I didn't have a Fastpass so was relieved to see it less than a 30-minute wait. This is one of the few attractions were you actually miss some of the best stuff by doing a Fastpass. When in the Stand-by Line you weave through tons of funny and even interactive tombstones and statues that make the line seem to move faster. This is one of the attractions built on a constantly moving conveyor belt of individual cars--you step out on the moving track and then walk to your car, sit down, and the bar lowers to your lap. That means you aren't standing and waiting, starting and stopping, while each car unloads and reloads. It means the lines move much faster than typical rides, but you still have time to chuckle at the bad puns and other entertainment.
full

full

full

full

Observation: Several of the attractions I rode that use the conveyor system stopped multiple times--often in awkward positions that left you sitting in the dark or watching the same animatronic scene over and over again--until things started moving again. This was probably due to the increasing attendance of people with special physical needs, or maybe just a technical glitch, but from the number of personal scooters everywhere, my guess is the first reason. While I think it's great that Disney is able and WILLING to accommodate them as much as possible, it does sometimes bring everything to a stop while they do so. You just have to be patient and remind yourself that you would want the same consideration if you were in their shoes, and that it's great that physical limitations for the most part don't prevent guests from enjoying everything there is to do there.

Observation: Since I mentioned the personal scooters, I'm going to quickly comment on this topic regarding the Disney buses. All of them are capable of lowering and adjusting/folding seats in order to accommodate these machines. The only issue is that the most they can handle is two at any time. But there were LOTS of the scooters everywhere, and as a pedestrian you always had to watch where you were walking or risk getting run over. Most drivers were cautious and conscious of what they were doing, but these things are not very precise and sometimes they just jump forward, etc., particularly if you're not used to using them. The real issue, though, is that at bus stops you could see as many as six of them lined up for the same bus...but if only two can go at a time (assuming one isn't already on there), that means those on machines had to wait for the next bus...and the next bus. If there was a couple together on machines (which I saw) they either got split up or both had to wait. I think that, at this point, Disney should address this issue and perhaps create some sort of shuttle or exchange system specifically designed to handle the popularity of scooters--either build scooter exchange shops next to the bus stops so there's one waiting for you when the bus stops, or some sort of bus/van that has greater capacity. Just a thought...

Since the forum has a limit on pictures per post, this seems like a good place to break. Please see the next post for a continuation of this day...

Monday, September 4rd (continued)

I didn't linger too long in Frontierland (really not as much to do there with Splash Mountain and Hall of the Presidents down), but I did pause long enough to ask a family if they could take my picture in the stocks so I could have a matching photo from 31 years ago! ::MinnieMo
full

I guess I've moved up in the world? :earboy2:
full

I headed into Fantasyland, where there's little shade and that sun was just beating down on the pavement in the hottest part of the day, so I'll admit I didn't take many photos because I didn't hang out long in the area. I did take this one of the back of Cinderalla's Castle because it's a view you never see unless you've been there and took a moment to notice. The architecture is very different and lovely. There's not much inside the Castle to look at (gift shop, restaurant with almost-impossible-to-get reservations, and an exclusive club I think, plus some very exclusive resort rooms for lottery winners and special guests) however. In fact you can find a very funny clip on Youtube of a little girl's disappointment with the castle... lol
full

I had some time before my second Fastpass, so I decided to get in line for the Under the Sea--Journey of The Little Mermaid attraction. I've never been on it but since it's one of my favorite "newer" Disney films, it felt like a must-do. The line seemed to move rather slow considering it was a conveyor-style ride, but I did eventually get a "shell" to myself. I'd say the ride was nice, but I'll admit that my experience was tainted a bit by the woman in the car next to mine who kept taking flash photos. Several people in other cars--including me--asked her to please stop but she kept right on doing it. It was the only time in my entire vacation where I started to feel my temper rise a little, but luckily the ride didn't last long and then I was able to get out and away from her evil influence.

Tip:
Want to piss off other people at Disney World? Use your flash in a dark attraction despite repeated instructions to NOT use a flash. Not only does it break the spell for everyone around you, but it can actually blind performers involved in live shows. Plus, seriously, photos dark shows look like crap when you use the flash, which defeats the entire purpose. And odds are you'll never look at those photos again anyway, so you ruined everyone's experience--including your own--for nothing. Honestly, anywhere else but Disney and she would have probably gotten beat up afterward. Don't be that person!

I used my second Fastpass for Peter Pan's Flight. Don't ask me why, with the possible exception of the Seven Dwarfs coast, this is the most popular--and longest line!--in all of the Magic Kingdom. It makes no sense.

Tip: If you or your kids want to ride on this, USE A FASTPASS. I know they're precious and you'd rather use it on something you WANT to ride on, but this is the only attraction, IMO, that is NOT worth the Stand-by Line wait. Not even close. We're talking easily over 60 minutes no matter what time of day. When I was there it was 90 minutes! But it IS one of the few true classic Walt rides and it's very kid-friendly and you ride around in a swing chair, so it's unique. But there's nothing spectacular or thrilling about it, certainly not 45 years later. But using that Fastpass will shave your wait down significantly (although you STILL have to wait!) so you can spend your time on much more worthy rides. Just trust me on this.

Magical Moment!: While waiting in the Fastpass line for Peter Pan, I struck up a conversation with a couple and their adult kids behind me, and we had enough time to exchange our Disney histories and where we were from, etc. They were very cool and we said goodbye after the ride. Then I wandered off to find something quick to eat, and ended up going back into the Liberty Square area to sit for a bit and eat a quick lunch (had to go with the corn dog because reasons!). Took my time to give my feet a break, sharing a table with another solo traveler who was from England and there for over a month (she wrote a travel blog). When I was done, I headed back to the Fantasyland area and, since I had some time yet before my last Fastpass for Seven Dwarfs, I decided I'd have enough time to squeeze in It's a Small World (another conveyor belt ride so never a long wait). I got into line, then glanced behind me only to watch the same family from the Peter Pan ride fall into line behind me! We let out a shout like were were long-lost friends! I laughed and said, "Wow, it really is a small world after all!" and we all laughed and groaned at that, then picked up the conversation where we'd left off. And remember, this was a busy day. So yeah, I consider that a magic moment.
:tink:
Afterward, I headed for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, one of the few new-to-me attractions in the Magic Kingdom (built in 2014). This roller coaster instantly jumped to my top 3 favorite rides in all of Disney World, and it's no wonder that it's nearly impossible to get Fastpasses after that 60-day reservation mark. It isn't super tall and has no loops, but the cars are shaped like half-barrels and hung on hinges so that they can rock as you go into banking curves (of which there are a lot!). It's got quick acceleration on the short slopes that make you shriek as you fly into those curves and over the little humps that lift you out of your seat. On top of that, this has the coolest incline hill ever because you go into the mine and suddenly the dwarfs are singing and working and marching up the hill with you and you can't help but sing "Hi hooooooooo!" along with them as you go up, and then you're shrieking and laughing as you fly into more corners. It's probably the most ENGAGING ride I've ever been on and I was instantly hooked. ABSOLUTELY Fastpass-worthy if you can get it--just because you'll probably want to get right back in line again.

By this time, it was mid-afternoon, I was exhausted from the heat and walking, and I had a dinner reservation outside the park, so I started heading back toward the main gate, this time browsing a little bit through the Main Street shops as I went.

Observation: The Disney folks are no dopes. They know people will do just about anything to escape the heat for a little while, so all these seemingly different shops are really just one block-long shop with wide-open doorways everywhere. And they know that if you have the choice between walking down the road or "shortcut" through an air conditioned shop, you're going to pick the A/C, so they bombard you with merchandise the entire way. They're geniuses!

I'd learned my lesson from the day before and now knew where the closest Monorail and boat landing were. If the boats are running and I have the time, I always go with the boat! It's probably because I live within a Metro train commuting area so the Monorail doesn't feel as unique to me as a boat does. Plus, the boat reminds me of the African Queen, so yeah.
:sail:
full

I was heading for the Grand Floridian luxury resort across the lake to have dinner at the signature restaurant, Narcoossee's, but I had a good 60 minutes to rest and recoup from the day, so I walked through the resort's courtyard and entered the main lobby to check it out. I was blown away by just how beautiful it was--a tribute to Victorian-era luxury with a vaulted ceiling and guilded decor. There was live music all the time, alternating between a gentleman in tuxedo playing on a Grand piano in the center floor or a small band up on the second floor balcony, playing mostly Disney tunes in gentle or jazz arrangements.
full

full

This is a bit of the lovely tile work in front of the little restaurant where you can have High Tea.
full

And this stunning example of sculpted chocolate!
full

I had TWO very magical moments happen while I was waiting there! It was a truly moving start to a wonderful evening.

Magical Moment 1: As I mentioned in my initial pre-trip post, one of the reasons for why I decided to go to Disney World for my first major destination vacation in 15 years was because it felt like a way to remember my Dad whom I'd lost 2.5 years ago. He had loved coming to Disney--not because he was necessarily a child at heart but because he was a self-taught engineer who appreciated and felt a kindred spirit with Walt (trains was another connection). I miss talking with him and this felt like a way to reconnect a little bit. Anyway, I was lounging on a couch in the main floor lobby while my phone charged, just enjoying the music drifting down from above (they were playing "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" in a wonderful arrangement that I was digging!), and then the song changed and I instantly choked up. They had started playing an old song you almost never hear anymore called "Harbor Lights."
It's not a Disney song, and it was the last thing I would expect to hear...but it was my Mom and Dad's song. Truly. It was THEIR song. I had tears in my eyes because in that moment it really did feel like my Dad was there with me. (It's making me tear up again writing about it.)

Afterward, I ran up the stairs to the second floor and waited until their set was over, then walked up and told them my story and how much they had touched me and what it meant to me. And I think I made their night, too, so I hope it was magical for them as well that somebody not only recognized that old song but appreciated it.
full

Magical Moment 2: I was wandering around the ground floor appreciating the decor and checking out the little shops attached, then watched as the man in tuxedo at the piano got up and allowed this young man to sit down at the keyboard. I don't think anyone even noticed this was happening until he started to play--and what we heard was a perfect concert-level pianist! I'm not exactly sure what he played, but my gut said it was two more obscure Debussy pieces. He played so beautifully that he brought the entire LOBBY to a stop to watch and a crowd gathered or found seats to just absorb what he was playing. When he finished he got a standing ovation from the entire room. Again, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to witness this special moment.
full

I finally had to leave that magic room for my dinner reservation. I walked back through the courtyard. It was starting to sprinkle a bit and the lighting was beautiful as I headed to Narcoosee's on the water.
full

full

I checked in and as I waited for my table, I spotted yet another spectacular chocolate sculpture!
full

Here was the view from my table.
full

Are you ready for the food? :donald:

My server's name was Steve, and he was great. After going over the menu, I asked for a wine recommendation to go with my picks and he suggested a light Sauvignon Blanc that did indeed go perfectly with what I ordered.
full

I decided to start with Maine Lobster Bisque (Butter-poached Lobster, Coral, Chives). It was rich and flavorful, with a nice subtle heat that built up as you went. There was also a generous amount of lobster in it, so it was more filling than it would seem. Excellent choice!
full

Then I had the Shrimp and Crab Cake (Creamy Rémoulade Sauce, Red Quinoa-Cabbage Slaw). I can be picky about my crabcakes because I've lived in or near Maryland for nearly 25 years now and know a good one when I have it. This wasn't trying to be a Maryland crabcake--it was unique with the shrimp and with fresh corn, etc. I really liked it, which was a good thing since I wasn't a fan of the slaw--it just didn't do much for me and I didn't finish it.
full

I was debating ordering desert because I was feeling full, but Steve answered the question for me be surprising me with their most popular dessert as a Happy Birthday treat on the house. Almond-crusted Cheesecake (with Lambert Cherry Sauce) and vanilla-bean foam. And yes, it was as delicious as it looked!
full

During dinner a rain storm passed through, but it was finished by the time I was done and walked back outside. I hung out on the docks for a little while, just enjoying the cooler air and beautiful view. This is Narcoossee's on the water.
full

full

The boats weren't running because of the storm, and by this time I was truly exhausted and didn't feel like going through security again, so I decided to take a bus back to Disney Springs and then the boat from there back to my resort and call it a night. I'll be honest, the nightly fireworks had completely slipped my mind or I would have stayed on the dock to watch them. A dumb mistake I won't make again if I get another chance.

Disney Springs that night was a very different experience than the night before! It was Labor Day evening and practically empty with no lines for drinks or shopping!
full

I got a margarita to go for the boat ride to my resort, then walked to the dock and relaxed as the lights slipped by.
full

Allow me to state again that I loved the French Quarter resort. It was exactly what my soul needed after a overloaded and heated day--intimate, quiet, and lovely.
full

full

I have to say, the talking Mickey is a bit...weird

I agree! He's kind of creepy!

but dang it, I was ENJOYING myself. And the magic kept finding me.
:smickey:

LOVE this!!

If you think you're too old, you're missing the point and doing it wrong.

100%!!

This is sooo cute!! One of the few magic shots I haven't had yet. As a huge Princess and the Frog fan, I will be on the hunt for this.

full

I guess I've moved up in the world? :earboy2:
full

I love everything that is happening in these two pictures!! Genius idea to recreate this

I laughed and said, "Wow, it really is a small world after all!" and we all laughed and groaned at tha

Totally me, haha!

It's not a Disney song, and it was the last thing I would expect to hear...but it was my Mom and Dad's song. Truly. It was THEIR song. I had tears in my eyes because in that moment it really did feel like my Dad was there with me. (It's making me tear up again writing about it.)

Oh my gosh, that's so special!!

Afterward, I ran up the stairs to the second floor and waited until their set was over, then walked up and told them my story and how much they had touched me and what it meant to me. And I think I made their night, too, so I hope it was magical for them as well that somebody not only recognized that old song but appreciated it.

I am so, so happy you went and told them!

What a great MK day! Your dinner looked great and I am jealous of that birthday cheesecake!!

Monday, September 4rd (continued)
I forgot to mention two other things from that first day at the Magic Kingdom.

While bumming around in the lobby of the Grand Floridian and enjoying the music, I was admiring the lovely tilework in the floor when I stumbled across a hidden Mickey that I bet most people never notice! Can you spot it?
full

Later, while passing through Disney Springs and getting a better feel for the layout, I decided to drop in at Amorette's Patisserie for a treat for that night, something fun for breakfast, and something to nibble on for the next few days. That's (left to right) Key Lime Pie Tart, Citrus Eclair, and some famous macaroons. And yes, they were very tasty.
full

This was also the first day that I started hearing more serious speculation that Hurricane Irma might be heading for Florida, although it was way too soon yet to be sure of anything. Half-jokingly, I justified the purchase of the macaroons as the start of my hurricane survival kit...

I just found your report and have to say that it is one of the best I have ever read - and I've read many! Your tips and magical moments are really great and I teared up when you described the band playing your parents' song. Your notes about adjusting your attitude and being in the right frame of mind are on point as well.

We were there during the same time, though not for as long. We arrived on Labor Day and departed that Friday evening, less than 24 hours before they shut down the airport in preparation for Irma. We stayed at Pop this time but during our last Labor Day week trip we stayed at POFQ and fell in love with it. This trip was a budget trip all the way, but I would not hesitate to stay at the FQ again. You made a good choice!

I am really looking forward to reading the rest of your report! Very well done! :)

I just found your report and have to say that it is one of the best I have ever read - and I've read many! Your tips and magical moments are really great and I teared up when you described the band playing your parents' song. Your notes about adjusting your attitude and being in the right frame of mind are on point as well.

We were there during the same time, though not for as long. We arrived on Labor Day and departed that Friday evening, less than 24 hours before they shut down the airport in preparation for Irma. We stayed at Pop this time but during our last Labor Day week trip we stayed at POFQ and fell in love with it. This trip was a budget trip all the way, but I would not hesitate to stay at the FQ again. You made a good choice!

I am really looking forward to reading the rest of your report! Very well done! :)

Thanks so much for your kind words. I had posted periodically on my Facebook page but hating dropping out of the moment to do so, and just posting photo-dumps at the end of the day wasn't enjoyable either, so I felt I was leaving out so much. Plus, I had several friends suggest I write a blog because they felt I'd offer some insights that would be helpful for both new and old Disney goers, etc. I agreed that it would be nice to really flesh out my experience, plus this way it would all be in one place and easy to find when I want to look back.

And hey, if somebody some day wants to pay me to travel and write a blog about it, I'm game! :smooth:

Last edited:
I absolutely am loving your report! Your observations and Magical Moments are making me smile this Monday morning!

I am also a solo traveler (usually) so your bullet points really made sense to me! Often I forget to do those things, but I'm introverted and spend most of my time just watching all the people as they go by.
Excellent reporting and I'm glad that it sounds like you had fun, despite the issues with your TA.

Sue, this is an amazing blog. Having been to Disney World and Disney Land multiple times with the kids I was tired of it and couldn't really imagine going back again even though my family would go every year. You have given me a whole new way of looking at Disney that I just missed shuffling the kids everywhere. Next time I go, I am going to be sure I get in the right mind-set as you said and really try to enjoy all Disney has to offer instead of focusing on the heat, the crowds and those other parts that can get in the way of a good trip. Thanks for taking the time to write all of this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!