My Camping Tent is Blazing Hot. PLEASE ADVISE ON HOW TO COOL IT

MiaPacker

Earning My Ears
Hi Campers, Mia here

My crew and I are camping while shooting short video scenes. Yesterday afternoon temperatures increased to 30 degrees heating the interior of our tent to a sizzling 36, and it was a mess :(. We have those closed tents, and had to shoot indoor scenes which made it even unbearable.

Please ADVISE. What do we do to cool things in here because we’re literally burning up!

You can make a workable ac from a styrofoam cooler, ice, pvc pipes, duct tape, and a battery operated fan. Google it, there are lots of instructions online.

ETA: Some friends of mine did this when they camped at Pennsic, so it has worked. I'd give instructions but I'm sure you'll find clearer ones on Instructables.

Hi Campers, Mia here

My crew and I are camping while shooting short video scenes. Yesterday afternoon temperatures increased to 30 degrees heating the interior of our tent to a sizzling 36, and it was a mess :(. We have those closed tents, and had to shoot indoor scenes which made it even unbearable.

Please ADVISE. What do we do to cool things in here because we’re literally burning up!

Not sure where you are used to camping, but in the south especially, it is hot, hot, hot beginning (sometimes) April - October. No matter how you camp you will need AC to be comfortable.

When I was much younger, we tent camped all summer. Upper 30s (upper 90s F) Good old canvas tents. Heavy as ... , well, really heavy and hot. No portable A/C then either. You avoid the tent when the sun is up. We were out in the shade (and hopefully breeze) during the day. The tent was only bearable once the sun went down and the temps cooled.

Today, tents are much thinner (and lighter), many with flys to block the direct sun. There are quite a few tents now with "boots" for portable A/C units. That seems to be the best way to manage now.

j

Sorry, your shooting session is getting all sweaty Resha Lol. The first mistake your team made was a poor choice of tents. There are many options, but when I go camping with my husband, we use the Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Tent

But a good tent alone can’t help your situation, you’ll need one or more small portable air conditioners. We've used the Frigidaire FFRAO511R1 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner before and I've also seen photos on other forums of people using air conditioners.

We use reflectics for the bunk ends of our pop up camper. Those help immensely. Also, if there are some windows that you can leave open a bit to let the tent ventilate, that will help as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!