My challenging day at the park yesterday + free map offer.

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Decent day at the park yesterday, at least crowd-wise. They were relatively low, which was nice. However, the day started clunkily (SP?) and never really improved. I hopped onto the tram after the “no more boarding” announcement and the driver reprimanded me sharply. In my defense, I couldn’t make out what she said and I thought it was something like “final boarding.” The tram wasn’t very full and it seemed reasonable. As we exited at the park, I went to her and apologized. She seemed slightly surprised at that as she smiled and thanked me. I suspect that a lot of people do things like that and rarely if ever try to make good on it. I always will.

I met some friends at the gate and then at the rope. They asked if I’d seen someone I used to spend time with at the park. I hadn’t seen her in at least seven months and their bringing her up kind of put me in a sour mood (no blame to them, of course). I’d been absolutely crazy about her and I thought she liked me. We’d text each other often and she said and did many exceptional things. We didn’t didn’t work out, though, and it still bothers me, as silly as that sounds. A short time later they also asked whatever happened between us. I didn’t mind that they asked but it brought me lower, since we no longer speak. We all have things in our past that we feel bad/sad/shame about and anytime I’m reminded of her, I get… well, sad. Someone like her doesn’t come around very often. In fact, I told my friends that I have no trouble meeting women. Rarely does a day pass when I don’t meet someone new. But finding someone special? That’s a rarity.

Anyway, at Fantasyland, the three main rides –- Peter Pan, Mr. Toad and Alice –- were closed due to a refurb (pics below). Rode Dumbo and then went on to Buzz. After about a dozen rides, I couldn’t get a reasonable score. Never even came closed to 2M. My highest score was around 1.7M. On every ride something went wrong. A gun didn’t work well, targets didn’t work and/or other things simply weren’t in sync. The guy “NAP” was there (with whom I’m acquainted, we’re on good terms and we’re matched on our Buzz skills and scores) and early on he did break 2M. My highest score for the day only made fourth place. That was the third unpleasant event of the day.

Lastly, when I asked for a hot-water cup at Pizza Planet (I bring my own tea), they wouldn’t give me one. The CM told me that I’d have to pay full price for it -- around $3. That policy came into play a while back but most of the time CMs will simply give me the cup without an argument or even a mention of the extortionate policy. It was the fourth unpleasant thing to happen that morning. I decided that it was time to cut my losses and call it a day. My mood wasn’t going to improve. To salvage what positive feelings that I could, I planned to take a friend’s dog (who I absolutely love and adore) for a walk at Griffith Park.

We hiked all the way up to the Observatory after already walking three miles at the park earlier (6.4 miles in total). We happened upon a pleasant scene of a picnic blanket with pillows, a blanket and rose petals setup for a guy to ask his friend to be his girlfriend. It was really sweet and several of us helped as and when we could with about 100 of us watching as the couple arrived (pics also below). It was a nice, uplifting and reassuring way to end the evening. She said “Yes,” by the way.

I have park maps if anyone would like a pair. Simply send me a DM (“Start conversation”) and I’ll drop a set in the mail for you.

Decent day at the park yesterday, at least crowd-wise. They were relatively low, which was nice. However, the day started clunkily (SP?) and never really improved. I hopped onto the tram after the “no more boarding” announcement and the driver reprimanded me sharply. In my defense, I couldn’t make out what she said and I thought it was something like “final boarding.” The tram wasn’t very full and it seemed reasonable. As we exited at the park, I went to her and apologized. She seemed slightly surprised at that as she smiled and thanked me. I suspect that a lot of people do things like that and rarely if ever try to make good on it. I always will.

I met some friends at the gate and then at the rope. They asked if I’d seen someone I used to spend time with at the park. I hadn’t seen her in at least seven months and their bringing her up kind of put me in a sour mood (no blame to them, of course). I’d been absolutely crazy about her and I thought she liked me. We’d text each other often and she said and did many exceptional things. We didn’t didn’t work out, though, and it still bothers me, as silly as that sounds. A short time later they also asked whatever happened between us. I didn’t mind that they asked but it brought me lower, since we no longer speak. We all have things in our past that we feel bad/sad/shame about and anytime I’m reminded of her, I get… well, sad. Someone like her doesn’t come around very often. In fact, I told my friends that I have no trouble meeting women. Rarely does a day pass when I don’t meet someone new. But finding someone special? That’s a rarity.

Anyway, at Fantasyland, the three main rides –- Peter Pan, Mr. Toad and Alice –- were closed due to a refurb (pics below). Rode Dumbo and then went on to Buzz. After about a dozen rides, I couldn’t get a reasonable score. Never even came closed to 2M. My highest score was around 1.7M. On every ride something went wrong. A gun didn’t work well, targets didn’t work and/or other things simply weren’t in sync. The guy “NAP” was there (with whom I’m acquainted, we’re on good terms and we’re matched on our Buzz skills and scores) and early on he did break 2M. My highest score for the day only made fourth place. That was the third unpleasant event of the day.

Lastly, when I asked for a hot-water cup at Pizza Planet (I bring my own tea), they wouldn’t give me one. The CM told me that I’d have to pay full price for it -- around $3. That policy came into play a while back but most of the time CMs will simply give me the cup without an argument or even a mention of the extortionate policy. It was the fourth unpleasant thing to happen that morning. I decided that it was time to cut my losses and call it a day. My mood wasn’t going to improve. To salvage what positive feelings that I could, I planned to take a friend’s dog (who I absolutely love and adore) for a walk at Griffith Park.

We hiked all the way up to the Observatory after already walking three miles at the park earlier (6.4 miles in total). We happened upon a pleasant scene of a picnic blanket with pillows, a blanket and rose petals setup for a guy to ask his friend to be his girlfriend. It was really sweet and several of us helped as and when we could with about 100 of us watching as the couple arrived (pics also below). It was a nice, uplifting and reassuring way to end the evening. She said “Yes,” by the way.

I have park maps if anyone would like a pair. Simply send me a DM (“Start conversation”) and I’ll drop a set in the mail for you.
Sorry you had a subpar day at Disneyland. But it will be better next time.

Sorry your day wasn't the best. But there's always next time, right?

Rule #2 of my BFF's and my hard and fast rules was "Never talk about bad/sad things at Disney". Although the "Have you seen XX lately?" was an innocent question, the follow up of "What happened with you two?" would have fallen under Rule #2.

Rule #1 was PP first thing and last thing!

Sorry you didn't have a great day at Disneyland. Your friend's dog is a cutie. At least your day ended on a better note with the walk and seeing the proposal.

Sorry your day wasn't the best. But there's always next time, right?
Yes -- exactly! I suspect that next Sunday will be much better. It's rare that I have an unpleasant day at the park. Certainly today was a better day and it was productive.
Rule #2 of my BFF's and my hard and fast rules was "Never talk about bad/sad things at Disney". Although the "Have you seen XX lately?" was an innocent question, the follow up of "What happened with you two?" would have fallen under Rule #2.

Rule #1 was PP first thing and last thing!
Excellent rules! Yes, I agree about the questions. But they're good people and I'm sure that the questions were asked out of genuine curiosity and concern, since they're both acquainted with the person I mentioned. Hopefully they won't ask again :-). About a year ago, a friend texted a small group of us and said that he'd seen the same person at the park. The next time I saw the various group members, I asked them not to mention her to me again. No blame or judgment but it's distressing to have those feelings brought up again. They all understood.

Sorry you didn't have a great day at Disneyland. Your friend's dog is a cutie. At least your day ended on a better note with the walk and seeing the proposal.
Yes it did! Thank you. Today was better as well. I've also got a few cool things scheduled for this week, which always makes me feel better.

Yes -- exactly! I suspect that next Sunday will be much better. It's rare that I have an unpleasant day at the park. Certainly today was a better day and it was productive.

Excellent rules! Yes, I agree about the questions. But they're good people and I'm sure that the questions were asked out of genuine curiosity and concern, since they're both acquainted with the person I mentioned. Hopefully they won't ask again :-). About a year ago, a friend texted a small group of us and said that he'd seen the same person at the park. The next time I saw the various group members, I asked them not to mention her to me again. No blame or judgment but it's distressing to have those feelings brought up again. They all understood.

It sounds like overall you have a good group of friends. That's so important in life.

My last day at DLR was a pretty bad day, too. It was a solo day, and I really don't have the knack for those. I'd have left early but hadn't been there since 2018 so I had an 'agenda' and persevered.

It's pretty much the only day I've ever left actually feeling "Well, that was one for the books". And NOT in a good way!! I guess I've been lucky as I'd never had a 'bad' day at DLR before.

I haven't given up on DLR, I just learned that I'm going to have to 'tweak' the way I do Disney.

It sounds like overall you have a good group of friends. That's so important in life.

My last day at DLR was a pretty bad day, too. It was a solo day, and I really don't have the knack for those. I'd have left early but hadn't been there since 2018 so I had an 'agenda' and persevered.

It's pretty much the only day I've ever left actually feeling "Well, that was one for the books". And NOT in a good way!! I guess I've been lucky as I'd never had a 'bad' day at DLR before.

I haven't given up on DLR, I just learned that I'm going to have to 'tweak' the way I do Disney.
You sound like you have a great positive attitude... "tweaking" is a great way to put it! I am trying to get the courage to do a solo trip. I have offered to take my niece and her 2 daughters 3 different times and they have cancelled out every time. Next is supposed to be in Sept but I have a feeling it is a no go too...so I am thinking just me.

You sound like you have a great positive attitude... "tweaking" is a great way to put it! I am trying to get the courage to do a solo trip. I have offered to take my niece and her 2 daughters 3 different times and they have cancelled out every time. Next is supposed to be in Sept but I have a feeling it is a no go too...so I am thinking just me.

I've never been on a solo 'trip', per se. I have family in the area and I'll spend a day or two solo when I'm visiting them. They'd rather chew glass than go to DLR. After my 'bad day' I vowed never to go solo again. But I suppose after enough time has passed I may feel like giving it a try once more.

Many people LOVE solo trips, but I'm not one of them. The 'positives' are being able to ride what you want, eat where you want, and shop when you want. The eating alone is fine and shopping alone can be great, but my main love is riding rides and doing that solo is just kinda, IDK, 'flat'. I want someone sitting next to me to squeal and laugh with, then relive the experience afterwards.

My former 'Disney Sistah' and I did Disney in exactly the same way and our annual trips were simply fabulous. I think that's colored my feelings about solo too. But due to changes in her life, she and I aren't in communication anymore. And it's just not the same without her.

nDH (nonDisney Husband) tries his best, lol. He won't go to DLR but will go with me to WDW. He hangs in there until we've ridden all the rides and had a nice TS meal. Then he heads back to FtW leaving me to 'shop til I drop'. That works for me!

But I digress. I don't want to discourage you from giving solo a try. I think if I were to try a multi day trip I'd probably limit it to 2-3 park days and stay onsite for the first one. Being 'in the bubble' is great and if you go during warm weather there's nothing like lazing by a pool, even on your own.

Oh, Rob, your biorhythms must have been off…YOU are waaaaayyyyy too positive of a person to get down like that! Once in a while, we all get them though..you are just usually so upbeat but I sure understand that not getting your usual scores on Buzz might set you off. here’s a little fairy dust for you :tinker:

However…sounds like you had a perfect day at Griffith and what a little cute doggie…and the couple looks really sweet.

I think you might have mentioned this girl before and you know what? Her loss. I have never met you but you are always so kind to other, offering maps, tips for Buzz, chatting up strangers in the park. I hope you find that special one soon who’ll make you forget all about the other one.

For me…the only time I get sad at the park is when I see Iron Man, hurry to get in line and the CM says, “oh, he’s just leaving, sorry…”. EVERY TIME I SEE HIM :rotfl2:

Oh, Rob, your biorhythms must have been off…YOU are waaaaayyyyy too positive of a person to get down like that! Once in a while, we all get them though..you are just usually so upbeat but I sure understand that not getting your usual scores on Buzz might set you off. here’s a little fairy dust for you :tinker:
Thank you so much! Yes, I'm usually pretty positive, upbeat and optimistic. Once in a while, though, things can pile up or all combine to make me feel a little less so. Fortunately, those days are far outnumbered by the good days.

Yes, I may have mentioned the girl once or twice before. It's now been about seven months since we've seen each other or spoken/texted. It's hard to believe that I'll never hear from her again but that seems increasingly likely. Nothing I can do about it. Certainly I tried to remain on good terms with her but that takes two people to make that happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter