My College Graduation Trip (and first ever) Disney PTR! 5/21-5/26 UPDATED: 10 days!

aggiegirl1234

Mouseketeer
Hello everybody! This May I'm finally graduating from college and, of course, I have to get in one last Disney trip before I start work in July. This definitely isn't my first trip to Disney, but it is my first trip report :yay: I absolutely love the DIS, and it has been invaluable to me being the obsessive planner that I am!

Background Info: So this will be my 6th trip to Disney World. My first trip was back in 1996 when I was 9 (do y'all remember the pink birthday cake decorated castle?). My dad had been to DW for the first time on a business trip a few years before and decided he had to take my sister and me. After that first trip I was hooked! When I was 14, I went again with my tennis team because the Junior Olympics were being held in Orlando that year. I thought, like most things seem to as we get older, that DW would feel smaller than I remembered it and not as fun, but I was wrong! When I was graduating high school, my mom said I could go anywhere in the world for a graduation present and it took me all of half a second to say "Disney World!" I went again after my freshman year of college, and then for Christmas with my family in 2008, which began our new tradition of vacationing for Christmas instead of giving presents (totally my idea). So, once again, I picked Disney for my graduation present!

When: May 21st to 26th
We'll be there for 6 days and 5 nights. I liked this block of time because the crowd calendar has half of the days at 4s and the other half at 6s. Of course anything would be better than the crowd levels (all 10s) we had on our last trip. I took this picture then just because I'd never seen Fronteirland that packed:scared1::

DSCN0222.JPG

Where: We'll be FLYING in from Dallas and staying at the Contemporary (Tower Bay Lake view). I emphasize the flying for two reasons. One, I rarely fly, and I'm a bit terrified of flying honestly. Two, my family never flies to Disney. We always drive the 1,157 miles from San Antonio and it always takes away from time in the parks!

Now, onto the hotel choice. Ever since my first Disney trip, I have always been in awe of the Contemporary as we rode through it on the monorail. We've always stayed at Downtown Disney area hotels, but on our most recent trip we decided to try a Disney resort (POFQ). I don't think I'll ever stay offsite again! Now, I almost booked at the GF for this trip, but I realized that I really only love its public areas and really prefer the CR overall, so I booked CR and made ADRs for Narcoosee's to get my GF fix!

Who's Going: Just us!

Screen%20shot%202010-03-05%20at%2011.28.02%20PM.png

This will be my first trip with just myself and one other person going. That's John, my DBF (I'm sort of new to the acronyms so I'm assuming this one means "dear boyfriend"?). We lived on the same floor of our college dorms and have been dating for about two and a half years now :love: He's only been to DW once, actually the same time I was there in 1996. I know this because he says he really only remembers two things from DW, one of which being the pink castle. The other was all of the stuff hanging from the ceiling in the POFQ food court :confused3 You'd think it'd be a ride... Anyway, he's from Texarkana, a nuclear engineering major, really good snowboarder, and not a crazy Disney fanatic like me. He does like all the Pixar films though! I'm really looking forward to showing him around DW and seeing his reaction to it. He even says it'll practically be like his first time since he doesn't remember his first trip.

Then there's me. I'm Shelley and I'm just finishing graduate school, I'm majoring in accounting, and I get ridiculously excited about four things in life: chocolate, snow, puppies, and Disney!

Who's not Going:

Screen%20shot%202010-03-06%20at%2012.32.54%20AM.png

My puppy Sydney...I don't think she's too terribly upset though. She weighs 3 and a half pounds, doesn't care to be outside, and is scared of the wind.

Up next: dining reservations!

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! And what a great way to celebrate! You will both have a wonderful time! Too bad your puppy can't go.... she's a cutie!!!! lol

So when we went to DW back in 2008, my family used the Disney Dining Plan for the first time. Being the accounting nerd that I am, I was keeping a mental tab of the costs and let me tell you, we saved a lot of money. We really liked the Dining Plan except for one thing; we used the snack credit for breakfast, so we either had to purchase a drink to go with it or go without :confused3 Otherwise, it was a great deal and the food amount was just right.

So of course this time we'll be using the Deluxe Dining Plan :rotfl: I know it would be a great deal if you normally eat three full meals a day. However, my boyfriend and I are the type that usually skip breakfast and appetizers. I'm normally pretty thrifty, but like I said, who knows when I'll get to DW again once I start working. AND, I'm already spending six days in the park (the most days I've ever spent in one trip) and I've booked a tower room at the CR. Why not just continue the splurging?! If I were thinking normally, I would probably just get the regular dining plan, a garden wing standard CR room (if at all...normally I'd stay at a moderate. Probably CSR because their new rooms are gorgeous), and four, maaaaybe five days in the parks.

Anyway, I'm excited about the Deluxe Plan! We get to try so many restaurants that would have taken us two trips to try normally. My boyfriend is also kind of a foodie. He's really interested in the Epcot restaurants we'll be going to. And he's addicted to CocaCola, so the refillable mugs are a definite pus. So, I booked all of our ADRs online in about an hour a few nights ago. The process was so quick and easy. I was able to get 10 of the 12 restaurants that I wanted. I knew I had a very small chance of getting seats at CRT, so no surprise there, but Le Cellier was all booked up :sad: Another restaurant that I wanted to try but couldn't seem to fit in anywhere was Ohana. Oh well! I'm more than happy with what I've got, especially since I only booked about 75 days in advance. So here's the list!

May 21
Breakfast: Main Street Bakery
Lunch: Crystal Palace
Dinner: California Grill

May 22
Breakfast: Sunshine Seasons
Lunch: Coral Reef
Dinner: Teppan Edo

May 23
Breakfast: Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery
Lunch: Yak & Yeti
Dinner: Narcoosee's

May 24
Breakfast: Main Street Bakery
Lunch: Liberty Tree Tavern
Dinner: The Wave**

May 25
Breakfast: Starring Rolls
Lunch: Sci-Fi Dine-In*
Dinner: Hollywood Brown Derby

May 26
Breakfast: Ohana's***
Lunch: Chefs de France

Now, I'm just guessing on the breakfasts. We'll be using our snack credits so we're kind of winging that part. If anyone knows of any great breakfasts in the parks that use snack credits I'd love to know! So all of the restaurants are new to me except for the breakfast locations, Liberty Tree, Coral Reef, and Sci-Fi Dine-In. So really, I'm kind of excited about them all! I think I'm really excited about the three signature restaurants and San Angel, just because they're signature restaurants and I loooove the inside of the Mexican pavilion (not actually a huge Mexican food fan).

So thanks for reading, and expect lots of yummy food pics once I get back!

Next up: my itinerary!

*Update: I decided last night to change from 50's to Sci-Fi...one, while I think the food and servers are better at 50's, you really can't beat the atmosphere at Sci-Fi, and two, John actually requested Sci-Fi and any interest he takes in Disney I'm going to encourage!

**Update #2: I decided to change from Tony's to The Wave. The menu just really wasn't happening for DBF or me at Tony's, but we both liked The Wave's a lot. I feel like the MK doesn't really have too much to offer in terms of table service restaurants. While they all seem to have a great atmosphere (this is why I initially booked Tony's), the value/quality seems to be lacking.

***Update #3: I realized that I'd be leaving too early on the last day to do lunch and dinner, so I decided to do breakfast and lunch. We'll be doing breakfast at Ohana's (I'm excited to visit the Poly!), I cancelled lunch and San Angel's, and moved Chefs de France from dinner to lunch. I wasn't really too excited about the food at San Angel's, but I had always wanted to eat there simply because of the gorgeous atmosphere.

RAIN :scared: Something I had not factored into my trip. How will I take pictures of everything like I always do if it's raining? Even if I did take pictures they would be of thunderclouds at Disney World! My hair will be ruined for said pictures. They'll close down the rides. My DBF won't like Disney and he'll never want us to come back EVER AGAIN!

I was wondering why there was a lull at the end of May in the crowd calendar. Being from Texas, I didn't think it could be the average highs in the high 80's. That's definitely tolerable. While scanning through the DIS Disney World tips board :-)disrocks: by the way), someone had asked what happens when it rains. Rather than continue reading, I went straight here and looked up Orlando and then looked up my corresponding travel dates a year, two, three, four, five years back in the History and Almanac section. Almost every day there was rain, thunderstorms even!

After a one-minute bout of depression, I went back to the thread where the DISer asked what to do when it rains, it was almost unanimous...keep going! Bring your ponchos and keep going. Many of the rides are inside anyway (that seemed to slip my mind during my panic attack), and the rain there usually lasts all of 20 minutes (I went back to Orlando's weather history and looked at the detailed quarter-hour observations and yes, the rainstorms are that quick!). :yay: There were also several other great rainy day tips!

So, in summary, my trip is no longer ruined, I'm no longer in a state of depression and, I'll say it again, :disrocks: !

Hello everybody! So I was watching a great HD version of Fantasmic on youtube this morning. I'm so excited about seeing it, in full for the first time on my trip. I only saw a part of it on my 2005 trip because we would have missed the bus back to the hotel otherwise, and we were in the standing room only section. I was in awe the entire time and it was so hard to tear myself away in the middle of it. So this time, I want to do it right! However, seeing the video made me want to plan my day at DHS a little more, and after reading the boards, I realized that I might have to wait up to 2 hours to get good seats :scared1:

Fantasmic only had one showing the night I planned to be in DHS and my ADR at Brown Derby was for 7PM. There was no way we'd be out of there in time for Fantasmic. The only other time we could see it would be two days later, but then I would have to move DHS forward, MK back a day, and AK back a day, not to mention seven ADRs. It ended up taking me half the afternoon but I everything worked out! I'm actually much happier with this itinerary, aside from the fact that I won't get to be at DHS for Star Wars Weekend. It was a trade off, but I think this will make the day at DHS much more pleasant (hopefully shorter wait times and less crowds, especially for Fantasmic). It also ended up working in my favor for the trip in general; crowds are at 4's for three days and 6's for the other three, and I'll be at the "best" parks 5 out of the 6 days. The day I'm at DHS, it's not a park to avoid or a "best" park. And I cannot believe that I was still able to get an ADR for California Grill! :thumbsup2

So here it is, (hopefully) the perfect itinerary!

Friday, May 21st - Magic Kingdom
Depart Dallas
Arrive Orlando, Magical Express, Check-in Contemporary Resort
Monorail to Magic Kingdom
Lunch - The Crystal Palace
Dinner - California Grill, watch Wishes from CR 15th floor observation deck

Saturday, May 22nd - Epcot
Monorail to Epcot
Lunch - Coral Reef
Dinner - Teppan Edo
Illuminations!

Sunday, May 23rd - Animal Kingdom
Bus to Animal Kingdom
Lunch - Yak and Yeti
Dinner - Narcoosee’s
Electrical Water Pageant

Monday, May 24th - Magic Kingdom
Monorail/Walk to Magic Kingdom
Lunch - Liberty Tree Tavern
Dinner - The Wave
Back to MK for Wishes

Tuesday, May 25th - Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Bus to DHS
Lunch - Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Dinner - The Hollywood Brown Derby
Fantasmic!

Wednesday, May 26th - Epcot
Check-out
Breakfast - Ohana’s
Monorail to Epcot
Lunch - Les Chefs de France
Magical Express, Depart Orlando, Arrive DFW

I am SO excited! I wish I could say the same for DBF. Well, he's not really one to get hyper or show it when he's excited...unless there's a new video game coming out or he's going snowboarding :confused3 Anyway! I'm at the ten day mark. I stayed up tonight because I thought at midnight I would be able to do online check-in. Apparently not :sad1: Oh well! I'll just have to keep trying...every ten minutes or so :rotfl: Have I mentioned I'm excited? Right now I'm listening to my Disney Pandora station. I also just printed out our itinerary, touring plans, and trip info and put it in our Disney folder because I think I'm finished changing my ADRs. It's also got our ME stuff, vouchers, and paper for notes to take while I'm there! Here's a pic (I'm quite proud of it):

DSCN0899.JPG

And here's my pre-trip check list in case anyone's interested. I think it's pretty comprehensive:

Screen%20shot%202010-05-10%20at%2011.59.25%20PM.png

Yeah, I haven't really started packing yet...It's so overwhelming! I always feel like I'm going to forget something and I worry that I won't really be feeling an outfit once I get there. I have however finished most of DBF's packing for him. The best thing about doing that is that I'm choosing everything he'll be wearing on the trip. Not to say that he doesn't dress well everyday :rolleyes:

So the weather is looking like it's going to be crazy on the trip! Especially since the weather reports have been crazy. I know they can't predict that well 10 days out, but really. Accuweather was saying it was going to be blazing hot and raining every day, and weather.com was saying it would be dry and mid-high 80s. Then they flip flopped. How can one say a 1% chance of precipitation when the other says there's a 60% chance :confused: People reporting back to the DIS are saying it's been great, terrible, unbearable, bearable....ahhhhh! So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Crowds. A few weeks ago touringplans.com decided to change the numbers on me :mad: I was supposed to have three 4's and three 6's. Now I've got three 4's, one 6, and two 7's. 7's! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I also noticed that Disney added a second showing of Fantasmic the night we'll be at DHS and extended the park times by one hour. So that's good at least! I heard that when there are two shows, the second is not as crowded and you don't have to show up as early to get in. More time in the park :woohoo: Oh well, we're still going to the "best parks" each day. And to be safe, I finally decided to make up some touring plans. I used the ones offered on touringplans.com and modified them a bit. I actually felt way better as I was making them. I have no idea if they'll actually work, but I'll report on that, the weather, the crowds, the food, and and much more once I'm back!

So to end this post, here's another picture of my puppy!

DSCN0634.jpg

Thanks for reading y'all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter