• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My cruise dropped 2k

Is DCL charging a premium for the Wish?

LAX
I think DCL historically charges more for cruises out of Port Canaveral vs other ports with similar itinerary. For a decade it generally cost more for the Dream than a cruise to the Bahamas on the Magic. Now it costs more fore the Wish than the Dream.

Whether it’s the ship or the port, yes those cruises tend to be priced higher.

We cruised on the Wish and loved it. We enjoy the Aft rooms with the large verandas at a regular cabin rate. On the Wish the adult area is right above the Aft. If we wanted to avoid the screaming minis, it was very easy to do (ya know, some mornings...).

This past September we booked a Fantasy VTY room 7 weeks out and the price was not any better than booking the cruise at the inception.

I think DCL historically charges more for cruises out of Port Canaveral vs other ports with similar itinerary. For a decade it generally cost more for the Dream than a cruise to the Bahamas on the Magic. Now it costs more fore the Wish than the Dream.

Whether it’s the ship or the port, yes those cruises tend to be priced higher.

Classic supply and demand: people are willing to pay more to travel on the newest ships. This is true regardless of cruise line.

With DCL, historically people are willing to pay more to travel out of PC as they desire the full Disney experience. E.g. riding the DCL bus with Disney entertainment (RIP), traveling through the DCL terminal, etc.

I wonder if this will hold true in the long-term as DCL builds FLL. Hard to beat the convenience of the location in terms of airport proximity. But obviously the converted terminal isn’t a big hit with Disney fans.

I wonder if this will hold true in the long-term as DCL builds FLL. Hard to beat the convenience of the location in terms of airport proximity. But obviously the converted terminal isn’t a big hit with Disney fans.
I have no issue with the terminal at FLL, it is wonderful, convenient, and easy to use. Way better than PC in my opinion. Only disadvantage for us is personal - the PC port is closer to home.

I have no issue with the terminal at FLL, it is wonderful, convenient, and easy to use. Way better than PC in my opinion. Only disadvantage for us is personal - the PC port is closer to home.

Agreed. The DCL port at Port Everglades is really nice and is very close to the FLL airport. It is new, dedicated to DCL, and is a smaller version of the DCL port at Port Canaveral, but cleaner. Easy in and out.

Closer to the airport doesn't really help us out as much as being closer to WDW - we'll still fly in the day prior this Nov for our first trip from FLL. Its not the drive to the port that makes same day risky, its what might happen to the flight. We've only skipped WDW one time when cruising from anywhere in Florida to date and that was only because it was a special itinerary so dates were inflexible, and I was otherwise out of vacation days for the year.

Agreed. The DCL port at Port Everglades is really nice and is very close to the FLL airport. It is new, dedicated to DCL, and is a smaller version of the DCL port at Port Canaveral, but cleaner. Easy in and out.

We'll see it next week. But I think it's an aged, renovated terminal rather than a new facility. Was wondering if it was a renovation like the Paradise Pier Hotel (acquired property that Disney choose to do minimal renovation on) but sounds like it was pretty thorough.

We'll see it next week. But I think it's an aged, renovated terminal rather than a new facility. Was wondering if it was a renovation like the Paradise Pier Hotel (acquired property that Disney choose to do minimal renovation on) but sounds like it was pretty thorough.
Here are some pics of the terminal at FLL. We thought it was done very nicely.

DCL FLL.jpg

DCL FLL 2.jpg

DCL FLL 3.jpg

DCL FLL 4.jpg

DCL FLL 5.jpg

DCL FLL 6.jpg

DCL FLL 7.jpg

DCL FLL 8.jpg

DCL FLL 9.jpg

DCL FLL 10.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter