MY DGS was just "diagnosed" with SID

mimimom

<font color="red">YOUR TAG IS IN THE MAIL!<br><fon
I posted this on the community board and they recommended I post here. My very caring wonderful 7 year old grandson has sensory integration disorder. I have known for years that there was something amiss but my daughter has had a hard time coming to terms with it.She actually has ignored it for the past 5 years and now the school is basically forcing her to do something about it. It is almost a relief to put a name to it.Yesterday he had a melt down as soon as I brought him to the classroom and walked across the hall to talk to the principle. A boy in his class that picks on him and calls him a loser was bothering him. He left the classroom 3 times on his own without asking he pked a little person inm the face with a pencil I could go on and on. Im feeling very overwhelmed. I have 4 children of my own and none have anything that I can draw from the experience of raising them. Im going out tomorrow and buying the book the out of sync child. Thanks for letting me release some sadness,anger frustration and several other words that i cant come up with right now. Mimimom :wave2:

Just wanted to send hugs your way :grouphug: ! I know how difficult it is to have a special needs child. My son has high functioning autism and I am always fighting for his rights with our school district. Thank God his teachers are helpful!
Hang in there!

My son has SID as well as being high functioning autistic. I wont say it's easy, but in our case it hasnt been terrible.
Through therapy we are both learning to anticipate melt downs. Sam will even tell me "Mommy, we cant do that becuse I will have to cover my ears' Ear covering, actually deep jaw pressure, is his self soothing technique.
He also regulates himself by spinning or rolling on a yoga ball.
Anyway, my biggest piece of advice is to have patience. Remember his bratty moments are not bad behaviors, they are reactions to sensory overload. Get him away from the situation and let him regroup. If he needs sensory input, a good bear hug might help. If he cant handle the touching, let him unwind in a quiet place.
As far as knowing what he needs...it can vary from kid to kid and from situation to situation. There are times when Sam benefits from me rubbing his arms or legs, hugging him, etc. At other times he needs to go somewhere (his room for example) and just unwind himself. It's hit or miss...although as time passes I can read the meltdowns and know if it is a touch or no-touch unwind.

The Out of Sync child is a great book to get you started and you will have it dog-eared and tattered over the years.
I would see an Occupational Therapist. Private will be more attentive and much faster. Ask him/her to develop a sensory diet for her. My son has high functioning autism and many sensory issues. He has an extensive sensory diet and has activities through out the day to soothe him. My older son has lesser sensory issues and also has activities to help him self-soothe.
Since she is have problems at school, I would have the mom write a letter to the school requesting a meeting for eligibility of a 504 plan. Without another learning disability or other disability, I think it is doubtful she would qualify for an IEP, but you never know.
I am sure if it was difficult to get the diagnosis, but probably a relief at the same time to have a name to put with it and know that there are things that can be done to help. Good luck. :grouphug:

It really does help knowing there are people out there that do truly understand how we feel. I know we will adjust. I love this little boy with all my heart and soul. Thanks Mimimom :wave2:

mimimom said:
I love this little boy with all my heart and soul. Thanks Mimimom :wave2:
That will never change, in fact, your love will likely become deeper than you can ever imagine. :love:
So sorry I referred to your Grandchild as a "she". When I reread your post I realized my error.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter