My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures

Did you reproduce the soup recipe or obtain it from Disney? I would love to be able to replicate that particular tomato soup!
We've tried asking at Disneyland and they didn't have the recipe available. We found one for the Disney Cruise Line, posted on Allears.net, that came out very similar. I'll have to check at home tonight to see if we made much in the way of changes, but I think this was the starting point:
http://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/recipe-tomato-basil-soup-disney-cruise-line/

Did the Black Rose dessert turn Figment's mouth black? I've heard of that happening but just wanted to confirm one way or the other. Thank you Figment for all of the food photos!!!!! I always look forward to your trips!
I don't recall it turning Figment's mouth black, but it did kind of turn his family member's teeth a funny (greenish maybe) color. :rotfl:

Are the pommes frites at Red Rose the same ones you get at Cafe Orleans?
Yes, they're very similar to the ones at Cafe Orleans, but without the remoulade and with a little less of the cheese/garlic topping.

Does anyone know how long the Halloween food offerings stay around? After the 31st?

Thank you so much for the awesome photos and reviews! I'm having a blast reading this!

Figment’s Halloween Happenings (September 2018), Continued...

Award Wiener, Snack
Award Wiener tends to have a lot of interesting seasonal items. They also have funnel cake fries, which have been really good so far!

Oktoberfest Dog - Kielbasa Sausage topped with Caramelized Onions, Sauerkraut, Oktoberfest Beer Cheese, and Green Onions. The Oktoberfest Dog was surprisingly spicy! It was good, but spicy.
AW_OktoberDog_zps87jvtjjz.jpg

Cookies and Cream Funnel Cake Fries - Dusted with Crushed Chocolate Cream Cookies, topped with Cream Cheese, Chocolate Cream Cookie pieces and Whipped Cream. This was one of the new seasonal funnel cake fry offerings from Award Wiener. These were really good! Figment couldn't really taste the cream cheese, but the cookie flavor was strong (and yummy).
AW_FunnelCakeFries_zpssyvwvk1n.jpg

Schmoozies, Snack
Bat-shaped Whoopie Pie - Filled with Espresso Chip Ice Cream. Figment likes coffee ice cream so this Whoopie pie was right up his alley! The bats and moon were neat to look at and the Whoopie pie was very tasty (but melts fast when it's warm out!).
BatWoopiePie_zpsf3ywdnxu.jpg

BatWoopiePie_Detail_zpsy2rylzq6.jpg

Bengal Barbeque, Snack
Pork Belly Skewer & Jungle Julep - Grilled Pork Belly with Hoisin Sauce, Pickled Carrots and Daikon topped with Cilantro and a refreshing Slush of Pineapple, Orange, Grape, and Lemon Juices. Two of Figment's favorite snack items. The pork belly is very tender and flavorful. The slush is nice on a hot/warm day!
BB_Skewer_zpsbp7bw6nn.jpg

Gibson Girl, Snack
Figment had three ice cream sundaes on his trip! He also learned that you cannot customize the ice cream sundaes when using mobile ordering, but you can if you order at the counter. So, if you want to change the ice cream flavor of a sundae, order at the counter!

Apple Pie à la Mode Sundae - Vanilla Ice Cream with Warm Spiced Apples, Crumble Topping and Caramel Drizzle. This was one of Figment's favorite HalloweenTime treat. It was like eating an apple pie, but with lots of ice cream!
GG_AlaMode_zpshuupteen.jpg

Chocolate Chip Cookie Hot Fudge Sundae - two Scoops of Mocha Almond Fudge Ice Cream and two Freshly Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies topped with Whipped Cream, Chocolate Morsels and a Cherry. Figment likes this sundae...it has ice cream and cookies!
GG_CookieSundae_zps2ln79vme.jpg

Strawberry Street Car Sundae - two Scoops of Strawberry Ice Cream served in a Waffle Cup with Strawberry Topping, Whipped Cream and a Cherry. Lots of yummy strawberry flavor!
GG_Strawberry_zpshtjnieow.jpg

The Golden Horseshoe, Snack
Churro Sundae - Cookie Dough Ice Cream with Cookie Butter Sauce garnished with a Cinnamon Sugar dusted Churro, Cajeta and Whipped Cream. This was also a really good sundae! Lots of yummy ice cream and two big churro pieces. Cookie Butter sauce is very similiar to caramel sauce.
GH_ChurroSundae_zpsfkiz9zlx.jpg

Hungry Bear, Snack
Churro Bites Cereal Sundae - Fruity Cereal-dusted Churros, Cereal Milk Anglaise, Strawberry Ice Cream, and Raspberry Sauce. This was probably one of the most disappointing HalloweenTime offerings; not so much because of the flavor, but because of the portion size. The churro sundae didn't look anything like the photos in the promotional items. The scoop of strawberry ice cream was tiny (maybe three small bites) and the banana slices were thin. The churros were okay, but a pretty basic churro.
HB_ChurroSundae_zpsuhzwbj9v.jpg

Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe, Snack
Sleepy Hollow Cupcake - Red Velvet Cupcake with Headless Horseman Chocolate Piece. This was a fun cupcake to look at! It was a pretty standard velvet cupcake was a lot of frosting!
TT_Cupcake_zpse3wj4mvv.jpg

TT_Cupcake_Closeup_zpsisj4zoyg.jpg

Churro
Sour Apple Churro - Figment likes sour apple flavored foods, so he wanted to try the sour apple churro. It was kind of a weird combination...a very sweet churro with occasionally very sour bites. It would have better (probably) if it had been a sour apple beignet or something where the sour sugar would have been more evenly distributed.
Churro_SourApple_zpsxicljpa3.jpg

French Market
Halloween Trio of Desserts - Worms and Dirt, Salted Caramel Pudding Cup and Pumpkin Pie. Figment didn't try this dessert, but he stopped by the French Market to take a quick look.
FM_Desserts_zpsx7ynfngt.jpg

Hello everyone. I've never been to Disneyland (plan to go), and have been to WDW many times. I enjoy all of the food pictures in the WDW section of The Dis. It's great seeing food pictures and thinking "Hey that looks good, I will eat there!"
I was wondering if anyone has pictures of their food from Disneyland to share? If so...post 'em here! :thumbsup2

Came here mostly to compliment your user name. Jeff Goldblum is a National treasure :D

I'm also planning my first DLR trip so following along as well

I share Figment's fondness for ice cream sundaes. Has Figment tried the House-made Chocolate Chunk Cookie Sundae at Golden Horseshoe? It seems to be the Jack Jack cookie num num with ice cream on top plus some drizzled sauces and two more (unexceptional) chocolate chip cookies as ears. It is served to look like the chocolate chip cookie sundae you picture above. It was a very fun, tasty sundae too.

I share Figment's fondness for ice cream sundaes. Has Figment tried the House-made Chocolate Chunk Cookie Sundae at Golden Horseshoe? It seems to be the Jack Jack cookie num num with ice cream on top plus some drizzled sauces and two more (unexceptional) chocolate chip cookies as ears. It is served to look like the chocolate chip cookie sundae you picture above. It was a very fun, tasty sundae too.
Figment has not, but he did like the Jack Jack cookie. I'll put this on the list of things in the future!

Figment’s Halloween Happenings (September 2018), Continued...

Snacks, Treats, and Other Goodies
There were a number of HalloweenTime and non-HalloweenTime treats available at the candy and snack shops throughout the resort. These are the items that Figment saw, but didn't get to try.

Chocolate Caramel Apples - There were a variety of different chocolate covered caramel apples. Jack Skellington, Green Poison Apple, Evil Queen Apple,
Apples_zpsv0hrbmm6.jpg

Cake Pop - Woody and Buzz Lightyear, Half Moon Bats, and Green Poison Apples.
CakePops_WoodyBuzz_zpstzjjkshh.jpg

CakePop_HalfMoon_zps7xmwsm2w.jpg

CakePop_PoisonApple_zpsxtxoitx4.jpg

Marshmallow Wands - Mummies, Chocolate, Cheshire Tails, and Tigger Tails.
Marshmallow_Mummy_zpsuuqjhnnx.jpg

Marshmallow_TiggerCheshire_zpsuxdtedvc.jpg

MummyMarshmallow_zpsj0lab2v7.jpg

Rice Crispie Treats - Incredibles
RiceCrispie_Incredibles_zpsyvptya4s.jpg

Souvie Items
There were a number of special souvie items released for HalloweenTime. Some were repeats from last year (the Headless Horseman and Pumpkin Tire straw clips), others were new (like the Poison Apple Cauldron popcorn bucket).

Poison Apple Cauldron - This was the big new popcorn bucket for this year. It was pretty impressive; it even lights up!
CauldronBucket01_zps1qwm707l.jpg

Oogie Boogie - Very similiar to last year's Oogie Boogie, but with a more colorful base and strap and a slightly brighter green color.
OogieBoogie_zpsbazjggva.jpg

Coco Jarrita - The Coco Jarrita was back! Figment found his at Cocina Cucomunga! It's actually a ceramic cup, so it comes in a box with styrofoam!
Jarrita_zpsfzn5cqrx.jpg

So that's it for this trip! Hopefully there will be a Holiday trip coming up at the end of year (there are always so many yummy holiday treats to try!)!

Figment’s 2018 Holiday Celebration (November-December 2018)
Figment and his family went to Disneyland to celebrate the Holidays again this year! The parks and resorts were fully decorated with all of their holiday finery and the weather mostly cooperated (it did rain one day). It wasn't too hot or too cold (although, the evenings were definitely chilly). The crowds were bigger this year than in 2017, so no more "secret" "not busy" week after Thanksgiving! Still, it was a lot of fun and there were lots of good things to eat!

Festival of Holidays
Returning for a third year was the Festival of Holidays. The Festival was set-up much like it had been in the past two years, with booths lining the main walkway in DCA. The prices seemed like they might have edged up a little this year, but the AP Sip-and-Savor pass really helped out!
DSC_0242_zpszpbuedtx.jpg

Favorite Things
DSC_0227_zps55ujflyg.jpg

DSC_0011_zpstnskwu3r.jpg

DSC_0229b_zpskbh3oo8h.jpg

Holiday Ham Shanks with Brown Sugar-Pineapple Glaze ($8.00) - These were pretty sweet, but the pineapple flavor really came through. Some pieces were a bit dry, but the there was enough extra sauce/glaze, to make for it. (Repeat: Yes)

Reuben Potato Tots with Russian Dressing and Rye Toast ($6.75) - Like a Reuben sandwich, but less messy because you used a fork to eat them! There was a slight bite, but the flavors were good. The tots alone were a bit dry, but when mixed with the dressing and sauerkraut, they had good flavor. (Repeat: Maybe)

Holiday Duets
DSC_0230_zpsepcovfna.jpg

DSC_0004_zpslbug64mi.jpg

Curry Cauliflower Soup with Braised Lamb and Mintchurri ($7.50) - This one got mixed reviews in Figment's family. One member really liked it, the others did not. Could not tell that it was cauliflower, and the curry flavor was mild. It was very creamy. The lamb was very salty, but the saltiness was cut when it was mixed into the soup and eaten together. (Repeat: Yes and No)

Shrimp and Grits with Andouille Sausage ($8.00) - The grits were very creamy (almost like mashed potatoes, but with more texture). The shrimp were a little over-cooked and the sausage had a bite. The flavor was okay, but given the price-point, it's probably only worth getting if you have the AP Sip & Savor (Repeat: No)

Merry Mashups
DSC_0266_zpsstkkfki6.jpg

DSC_0250_zpsfgrdj40m.jpg

DSC_0231_zpswdrogcop.jpg

Turkey & Stuffing Tamale with Cranberry Relish ($7.75) - This was one of the big favorites! Lots of turkey and good flavor. It tasted best when the bite had a little bit of everything (turkey, veggies, gravy, cranberry, and masa). (Repeat: Yes)

“Hot Cocoa” Marshmallow Macaron ($5.50) - The macaron was dusted with peppermint, but didn't have a strong peppermint flavor. It was very sweet, and very chocolaty! (Repeat: Yes)

Blissfully Braised
DSC_0274_zps3nwfgtrw.jpg

DSC_0244_zpslvh3cskx.jpg

DSC_0232b_zpsowffjpa3.jpg

Braised Pork Belly Adobo with Garlic Fried Rice ($7.75) - This was another favorite. The adobo did not have a strong vinegar flavor, but it was very tender and had a nice slightly tart, but also salty flavor. Could taste the garlic in the rice and it went well with the meat. (Repeat: Yes)

Cornbread Cakes with Braised Collard Greens and Smoked Bacon Gravy ($7.00) - These were kind of hush-puppy like, kind of sweet, and kind of dry. The gravy had bits of bacon in it, but no bacon flavor in the gravy itself. Couldn't really taste the greens at all. (Repeat: No)

Figment’s 2018 Holiday Celebration (November-December 2018), Continued...

Grandma's Recipes

Beef Pot Roast on a Potato Roll with Horseradish Cream ($8.50) - The meat was very tender and flavorful. The bread was kind over-powering, so we skipped most of the roll. (Repeat: Maybe)
DSC_0240_zpstbzazvqb.jpg

Merry Cherry Pineapple Punch with Red Maraschino Cherries ($6.00) - This was very sweet...like, way to sweet for even Figment! We ended up cutting it with Sprite (about half and half) and then it was pretty good. (Repeat: Maybe)
DSC_0255_zpslxcqeyun.jpg

Winter Sliderland
DSC_0314_zpsxbpnucvo.jpg

Milk Chocolate Candy Cane Pot de Crème ($4.50) - These were really good! Very smooth and rich, with a good amount of candy cane flavor. (Repeat: Yes)
DSC_0320%20-%20Copy_zpsp7y22syz.jpg

Spicy Celebrations
DSC_0711_zps8bd0cb0m.jpg

Nashville Hot Fried Turkey with Dill Pickles ($7.50) - Very spicy! The turkey itself was okay (moist), but the outer coating of hot seasoning was over-whelming! (Repeat: No)
DSC_0703_zpsjgnkyots.jpg

A Twist on Tradition
DSC_0710_zps6ig2mdwu.jpg

Pozole Rojo Beef with Hominy Polenta ($7.50) - Very spicy, but the creamy polenta went a long way in cutting the heat. The meat had good flavor. (Repeat: No)
DSC_0701_zpsrqa3p0m8.jpg

Overall Figment enjoyed this year's Festival of the Holidays. There were a few new things and some repeats. Some things were really good (Candy Cane Pot de Creme, Adobo, and then Turkey Tamale) and a few disappointments (but nothing nearly as bad as the Frushi from the F&W). The AP Sip & Savor pass definitely helped with the prices and it was fun to collect the little buttons!

20181228_094024.jpg 20181228_094009.jpg The Mint Julep and Mickey Beignets from the Mint Julep Bar on December 28th. Our First time trying them. The Beignets were so soft fresh and yummy. ( We actually bought a pack of 6. But we started eating before I got a change to take a pic) The Mint Julep was very refreshing. We got there about 9:30ish and there was no line-up.

Last edited:
20181228_112733.jpg On December 28th we went to the new Tropical Hideaway for a quick snack/ lunch around 11:30ish. Since it was new, I expected a long line, but there was no line. However, as soon as we got our food, a long line started. We were planning on trying one of their Dole Whips, but since the line was long we decided to skip it. We each got one Bao bun ( 3 of us got the Beef and 1 got the Veggie) Pictured below is my Veggie Bao. We also got an order of the Sweet Lumpia. Pictured above is the sweet Lumpia It comes with a sweet dipping sauce which is not in the picture. (i cant remember how many Lumpia we recieved exactly? i am not sure if it was just the 2 or was there more?). Everything was great. 20181228_112714.jpg

Last edited:
Figment’s 2018 Holiday Celebration (November-December 2018), Continued...
I just realized that I never finished posting the photos from the holiday trip! :o

Alien's Pizza Planet, Dinner
Cosmic Chili Pasta - Chef's Choice of Pasta Topped with Chili, Jalapeno Cheese Sauce, and Corn Chips. This was introduced as the seasonal offering during the later half of HalloweenTime. Figment had hoped to try it then, but it wasn't offered yet. The Aliens still had it on the menu during the Holidays! It was pretty good; the chili had a nice robust flavor, but not too spicy.
Aliens_Pasta_zpswxmrl1vq.jpg

Nebula Noodle Salad - Grilled Chicken Breast atop Edamame, Sweet Green Beans, Mint, Cilantro, Red Cabbage, shredded Carrot, and Cold Soba Noodles in a Ginger-Lime Vinaigrette. This is still Figment's favorite salad at Alien's Pizza Planet.
Aliens_Salad_zps8hxumj4g.jpg

Green Alien Holiday Macaron - Still very cute and very yummy!
Aliens_Macaron_zpsun0f2fs4.jpg

Award Wieners, Snack
Award Wiener always has a number of seasonal offerings!

Holiday Beer Cheese Dog - Kielbasa Sausage topped with Caramelized Onions, Sauerkraut, Beer Cheese, and Green Onions served with Filmstrip Fries. This was surprisingly spicy. Nothing in the description indicated it would be hot, but the beer cheese sauce was quite spicy.
Award_HotDog_zps01kktvrf.jpg

Gingerbread Funnel Cake Fries - Churro Funnel Cake Fries topped with Crumbled Gingerbread, Caramel, Icing, and Whipped Topping. These were so good!
Award_FunnelCakeFries_zpsephaoozm.jpg

Stocking Stuffer Funnel Cake Fries - Churro Funnel Cake Fries topped with Peppermint Icing, Crushed Chocolate Cream Cookies, Candy-coated Chocolates, Crushed Peppermint, and Whipped Topping. These were a bit hard to eat (the M&M's kept falling off), but they were still very yummy.

Bengal Barbeque, Snack
Pork Belly Skewer - Grilled Pork Belly with Hoisin Sauce, Pickled Carrots and Daikon topped with Cilantro.
Jungle Julep - Refreshing Slush of Pineapple, Orange, Grape, and Lemon Juices. Still good, even when it's chilly outside!
BengalBBQ_zps73qtgkw9.jpg

Carthay Circle Restaurant, Lunch
Figment really enjoyed his lunch at Carthay Circle during HalloweenTime, so he decided to go back again during the holiday season.

Carthay Signature Fried Biscuits - Stuffed with White Cheddar, Bacon, and Jalapeño with Apricot-Honey Butter. This is still Figment's favorite appetizer at Carthay! So yummy!
Carthay_Biscuits_zpsxe8vxpcx.jpg

Cuban Braised Pork - Grilled Pineapple Salsa, Lime Vinaigrette. This was something new for Figment! The pork was juicy and tender, and wrapped in a filo dough packet. The salsa added a nice brightness and slightly sweet note.
Carthay_Cuban_zpszfxmuotp.jpg

Korean Chili Glazed Angus Sirloin - Cashew Fried Rice, Tropical Pineapple Red Bell Pepper Sauce. Figment really liked this steak last time, so he was very happy to see that it was still on the menu. Still very tender and had lots of good flavor.
Carthay_Flank_zpsukuxxhu5.jpg

Roulade - Alas, Figment forgot to take a picture of the menu and he couldn't find this item on the online menus. It was a rolled steak filled with mushrooms, onions, and a chimichurri sauce. The meat was very tender and the filling was very tasty. The salad was a bit to salty, but it went well with the meat.
Carthay_Beef_zpsh6awaeka.jpg

Snowflake Glow "Cube" - The Carthay had another exclusive glow cube; this time it was a snowflake!
Carthay_Snowflak_zpsagfy8j45.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!