• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My family thinks I'm crazy! (Studio vs. 1BR for solo trip)

Debi

<font color=teal>I go to WDW 2,179,872 times a yea
Okay, here's the dilemma: I'm planning my next solo trip to WDW in August 2008. I can start calling DVC for my reservation on Tuesday (my dates are August 24-29, 2008). Anyhow, because I have some points that I banked in to 2008, I have some extra points to play with. I have enough points to stay in a 1 bedroom, plus my normal Christmas trip, and still have 2 points to bank in to 2009 (gotta love being able to bank points!).

The question is, do I splurge and stay in a 1 bedroom for a solo trip, or conserve points and stay in a studio? I love the space in a 1 bedroom (having a full kitchen, washer/dryer and jacuzzi can spoil anyone!), but will the 1 bedroom be to big for a solo traveler? Any thoughts/advice?

If you have the points to spare I say go for it. I have been a solo traveler who has stayed in a 1BR. I also like having the laundry in the room, the king bed, and the kitchen.

Go for it!! I too have stayed in a 1br on a solo trip and it was absolutely decadent! I loved the space and the extras in the room.

If you have the extra points, why not?:thumbsup2

The washer/dryer alone makes it worth it...I'd go for the 1BR since it sounds like you have the points. Why not splurge a little on yourself! :)

I vote for teh 1 bedroom too! I NEED my Jacuzzi and laundry!

We get a one bedroom for just the two of us so I would definately do it if traveling solo. Love the jacuzzi tub!

Thanks, everyone! I discussed this with my mother last night, and she thought I was off my rocker to even consider staying in a 1BR on a solo trip. I love, love, love the 1BR villas, but I don't know if I'd feel out of place staying there on a solo trip. Thanks for all the positive vibes!

if you are staying anywhere but OKW - then the studios are fine!!!

if you are staying at OKW - then go for a 1-bedroom.

while I love the studios for 2 people or more because of the 2 queen beds.

for one person I really prefer the sofa bed plus queen. (hard for me to admit)

like studios and do studios for my solo trips. there is nothing wrong with a studio.

Thanks, everyone! I discussed this with my mother last night, and she thought I was off my rocker to even consider staying in a 1BR on a solo trip. I love, love, love the 1BR villas, but I don't know if I'd feel out of place staying there on a solo trip. Thanks for all the positive vibes!
We have a rule in our family that anyone who thinks we're nuts doesn't go. We don't want to risk them getting caught up in our craziness!

Have a great trip.

I say go for the 1BR also.

The merits of the 1BR vs the Studio are relevant whether you travel solo or with someone else. You might as well enjoy them!!!!:thumbsup2

Sorry, I agree with your mother. I think it's "crazy" to spend points on a 1BR for only 1 person. I would go for the studio myself and bank the extra points for a later trip. Do you really need a KING sized bed for one person? Are you really going to cook full meals? The microwave and toaster are enough for us. Do you really need the laundry in your room? The laundry facilities at BWV are easy to use and free. Need a soak? Jump in the hot tub.

Another thing is that I know that if I were in a 1BR by myself, I would wander from room to room and feel lonely. A studio with be much cozier with a nice couch to relax on with plenty of room to spread out. If you still have a need to "splurge", then book a Boardwalk view.

Just my alternate opinion :).

I love the studios for solo trips because it feels like the right size for me. In fact, I felt like Goldilocks the first time I stayed in one because it was the first time a hotel room felt "just right." With that said, if I had the points for a one bedroom and absolutely knew I wouldn't want them for another trip, I'd definitely splurge. The only trouble is, I always want my points. I'd rather do a longer trip or two trips than spend my points on a bigger room.

I consider the 1BR to be a waste of points for me because I don't have any points to spare. But if you have them to spare and you want one, then go for it.

They'd be nice though...the 1 BR at OKW is probably bigger than my condo. The 2 BR is bigger for sure.

I think you should get one of the special studio rooms that come with a queen bed, love seat and a briefcase containing $600.

Actually you have to supply the briefcase yourself. Rent out the extra points that you save by staying in a studio, put the money in a briefcase and take it with you so that you can look at it while you enjoy your studio.

From time to time you can walk over and grab some cash out of your briefcase and go spend it at a nice restaurant or in the parks. Unfortunately, none of the one bedrooms come with a briefcase.

I love, love, love the 1BR villas, but I don't know if I'd feel out of place staying there on a solo trip.

That's all that needs to be said: You love, love, love the 1BR villas.

They're your points. You're the one who enjoys it. Go for it and do not worry about what anyone else thinks.

We all have our own opinions based on our own tastes. You state you love it. You have the points? Enjoy! :)

We have a rule in our family that anyone who thinks we're nuts doesn't go. We don't want to risk them getting caught up in our craziness!

Have a great trip.

Jim is right. The fact that we all post to this board is proof that we are all a little nuts.

I think you should get one of the special studio rooms that come with a queen bed, love seat and a briefcase containing $600.

Actually you have to supply the briefcase yourself. Rent out the extra points that you save by staying in a studio, put the money in a briefcase and take it with you so that you can look at it while you enjoy your studio.

From time to time you can walk over and grab some cash out of your briefcase and go spend it at a nice restaurant or in the parks. Unfortunately, none of the one bedrooms come with a briefcase.
:rotfl2:

I was going to suggest that the OP rent her extra points too, but sometimes that doesn't go over very well on the DIS boards.

I thought about renting the points, but even as a potential renter, I'm a bit nervous about the transaction (don't know why, though).

I decided to book the 1 bedroom (actually, I'll be booking it starting tomorrow), because this is a one-time splurge for myself. This is the only year I'll have the extra points (we didn't use our full allottment last year, which is very rare for us - this is the first time it's happened), and I'll be back to a studio for my solo trips starting in 2009. For a 1-time trip, to me, it's worth it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter