• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My First PTR--8/16-8/20/21

JayMass

Dis Dad #871 Disney Deadhead
So this is my first PTR but I have been to WDW many times before.

Here are basics:
The Fam: DW, DS15, DS15, and me
The Dates: Monday 8/16 to Friday 8/20
Flight: Nonstop from Boston to MCO on Delta (Basic Economy--more on this later)
Hotel: Swan
Park Reservations: Tues-DHS, Wed-Epcot, Thurs-AK
Special Event: Boo Bash Tuesday (8/17)
ADRs: Ohana (Breakfast), Topolino's, La Hacienda de San Angel, Oga's, Sci-Fi, Yak & Yeti

Background:
This trip was originally scheduled for April 2020 but then, you know COVID. We rescheduled to June 2020 hoping things would get better but we all know how that went. We then rescheduled AGAIN for September 2020 but the kids weren't feeling great about traveling and school was about to start. We then moved the trip to this one and we are super excited. We have done Disney for years but always as a one day trip to the MK when the kids were little and later as 4 parks in one day trips during school vacation weeks (February or April) where we also visited family in FL.

Travel/Arrival Day (Monday):
We fly out on 8/16 on Delta at 1:45p direct to MCO arriving at 4:45p. We are flying Basic Economy which means you don't get to choose seats and we'll probably be split up all over the plane. I'm not sure what to expect but I'll keep everyone updated on my experience.

The plan is to take a Lyft from MCO to the Swan. Our plan is to check in, get settled, and maybe head to the pool for a bit. We have reservations at the Big River Grille on the Boardwalk. I had to make the reservation on Open Table because it wasn't available for ADRs through Disney.

Park Day 1 (Tuesday): DHS+Boo Bash

The plan is to get up early and have all four us be ready to snag a BG for RotR at 7am. I did a practice run-through with the fam, so they all know what to do! If we don't score a BG there is always the 1 pm chance. We're going to walk over to DHS for open but probably not rope drop (I feel like when you rope drop you are waiting around a lot so I don't see how that reduces wait times!) We haven't done Smugglers Run, Mickey and Minnies, or Slinky Dog before so those are top priority. We also love Rock n Roller Coaster and ToT, so those are in the cards too. We have ADRs at 11:40 at Oga's and 3:50 at Sci-Fi. We are all really excited to get to these as both are new to us! A lot of this day is going to be determined by the BG we get so we'll have to be a bit flexible.

Boo-Bash: Our goal here is to ride rides with little to no wait at MK and eat free ice cream, popcorn, and soda. We like the theming but are not big on characters or parades/calvalcades/entertainment (although I do want to see the Cadaver Dans!) Based on the reports from the first night of Boo Bash I think this should be good. We are looking forward to a late night at the MK!

Park Day 2 (Wednesday): Epcot

Epcot doesn't open until 11am so after the early get-up and late night MK we are going to sleep in a bit. We'll make our way over to Epcot around open with the goal of hitting Soarin', Test Track, and sampling everything Food and Wine has to offer (well, maybe not everything!). We have an 8:30 ADR at La Hacienda. Hoping for a relatively chill day at Epcot. We might park hop at 2pm based on what we accomplished at DHS the day before.

Park Day 3 (Thursday): AK

This day is going to be a little different because DS15 is scheduled to go to band camp on the Sunday we return. The camp is requiring a PCR covid test regardless of vaccination status (he is fully vaccinated). So I'll get up early and take a Lyft over to the Hilton at Disney Springs to rent a car from Avis ($65 through Costco) and then pick up the fam and drive to AK. The main goal here is FoP which we have never done because the lines have been CRAZY. We aren't rope dropping so our plan is to either ride during the day or at the very end at close. We have an 11:30 ADR at Yak and Yeti for lunch. We are planning to ride Everest, Safari, Kali River, and whatever else seems like fun. Again, we will play by ear and make decisions based onwhat was accomplished on the previous days. DW and DS will leave and drive to CVS for the drive through covid test. DD and I will either continue at the parks or go back to the hotel for pool time. After DW and DS return I'll take the car back to the Hilton and take Disney transpo back. We have an ADR at Topolino's at 8:50.

Travel/Departure Day (Friday):

Breakfast at Ohana's at 10:30. This will be new as well, love the Poly! Hang around and relax until 4 or so and take Lyft to MCO for 6:30 flight, direct back to Boston.

That's if for now! Very excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter