My First PTR!!!

Sidhuri

Earning My Ears
I've been lurking on the boards for years, enjoying everyone else's trip reports--so I thought it was about time to try writing my own!

The Cast:

Me--H; 36 years old; lover of WDW, reading and travel in general

DH--L; 44 years old; likes WDW and is slowing beginning to understand the need for at least one trip per year; concerned about where he will watch football during our trip

We have been married almost 5 wonderful years. Our trip will be filled with all our vacation favorites: good food, good drinks, spa treatments, thrill rides and shopping (ok, DH isn't a shopper but he can sit and have a drink while I spend money). I've been to WDW at least 15 times and this will be DH's 4th trip. We especially love an afternoon or evening drinking around the world at EPCOT. :drinking1

The Plan:

We'll be at the World December 31, 2009 through January 4, 2010. Yes, we know it will be crowded but we've been for New Year's before and had a fantastic time. (Though I'm sad we won't have the option to go to the Adventurer's Club this time.) We also know we'll be back so there are no real "must dos"--we're going to have a plan but if it falls apart due to crowds or other circumstances that is okay.

Resort: Coronado Springs; We have never stayed here and the refurbished rooms look great. A value resort just isn't for us and I could not justify the cost of a deluxe over the holiday. Someday when money is no object we'll spend the holidays in a suite at the Grand Floridian! :santa:

Transportation: We're booked with direct flights on AirTran from St. Louis. I watched airfare for a few months and we jumped on $247/each. We rented a full sized car through Hotwire for a total of $188.00. I was giddy about this since when I checked directly with the rental car companies the cheapest car I could find for our stay was an economy for about $500.00. Our rental turned out to be with Alamo.

I'm working on our plan of attack and will post again soon!

By the way, does anyone know when Disney releases information on New Year's Eve dining? Last time we had dinner at Narcoosee's and watched fireworks from the dock outside the restaurant--it was fabulous!

Hi,
I am going to move you to our pre-trip report area.

I just flew from Orlando to St. Louis to Milwaukee.
We were suppose to leave Orlando at 2:45, but it ended up being 3:20. The connecting flight to Milwaukee was the same airplane, but the crew and passengers from St. Louis had to be unloaded off the plane and if the other crew and pilot didn't make it on the plane 10 minutes before the scheduled departure, TSA would not allow the plane to fly. Apparently the rules apply to everyone. I don't know why I am telling you this, but it was such a wierd situation. Me and my girls would have had to stay in St. Louis till the next day, because there were no more flights out, but I would of rented a vehicle and driven home to Milwaukee-6 hours.

Also, I heard AirTran likes to overbook their flights in St. Louis, so get there early and get your confirmed seat. A guy from St. Louis told me this when he got on the plane.

Ugh--what a mess! Glad it all worked out.

Thanks for the info on AirTran; luckily we paid a little extra for assigned seats. I'm glad we did!

What a great time to be going!! Am anxious to hear how you like the Coronado Springs resort. My DS31 wants to stay there our next trip (which hasn't been decided for 2010 but March is so far our favorite choice). We have stayed at the BWV on our 3 visits to WDW and am spoiled esp since the last visit in December 2008 was with a boardwalk view. The CSR looks so beautiful in pics I've seen and love the southwest flavor. Maybe a split stay would satisfy our hunger ;)

Have you made ADR's yet? I called the dining reservation line this morning to see how early we can book reservations for next year and the recording says up to 90 days in advance. So I think you have to wait until the end of September (please correct me, anyone, if I am wrong!)

Any plans for which parks to visit? Can't wait for all the planning to begin!

I wanted to add that I found this on another site:

"There are special meals available at certain restaurants on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. You can reserve holiday meals up to 90 days in advance by calling (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463).

Note that "holiday pricing" (i.e. higher prices) will be in effect for some restaurants (particularly the buffets and character meals) December 16, 2008-January 3, 2009. Other restaurants may charge a premium on New Year's Eve and/or New Year's Day, so be sure to ask when booking reservations.

New Year's Eve Buffet at Epcot

A themed buffet with musical entertainment is offered at the ShowPlace Pavilion in Epcot each New Year's Eve.

For New Year's Eve 2008, the theme was "Fantasia 2009." The event was held from 4:00 pm to 10:30 pm. Cost is $54.99 for adults (age 10+) and $24.99 for kids (age 3-9), including tax and gratuity. Alcoholic beverages are available at an additional cost."

Not sure if this helps towards your meal planning :confused3

We haven't made ADRs yet but I've calendared to do so the minute my window opens! I'm excited about CSR--I'll definitely give a full report and post pics when we return. I think it may be a good compromise--it has a few amenities of a deluxe (nice lounge, fitness center) and the rooms are newly refurbished. We've stayed at French Quarter a couple of times and really enjoyed it so I think we'll like CSR.

I am impatiently (very impatiently) waiting for the release of WDW's January park hours so I can make some decisions about ADRs and what parks to visit on what days. The only concrete plans at this point are for New Year's Eve:

December 31: arrive in Orlando at 3:30 p.m. I'm hoping to be checking in at CSR by 5 to 5:30 p.m. We plan to drop our bags, jump in a cab (no driving this night; you'll see why below :rolleyes1) and head to one of the monorail resorts for pre-dinner drinks. Disney hasn't announce New Year's Eve dining options yet, but we are hoping for a reservation at Narcoosee's around 8:30 p.m. (The last time we were at WDW for New Year's Eve was in 2003; we had just gotten engaged on Dec. 13 so I'd love to repeat some things from that special trip. :love:) We'll watch the early fireworks and then hit the lounges in the monorail resorts for the evening. My goal is to watch the late fireworks from the Polynesian beach which would be a first for both of us. I also plan to try my first Lapu Lapu!

I haven't done much planning for the remainder of our trip since I'd like to wait and see what parks have extra magic hours, etc. I did make a reservation for parasailing the morning we leave, January 4. I'm so excited about this! Hubby has done it before so he's going to take pictures of me. I also know we'll have lunch at Brown Derby one day, which is becoming a tradition for us. Restaurants we'd like to try for dinner include Cali Grill, Jiko, Flying Fish (my favorite on-property restaurant), Bluezoo, Bistro de Paris and Citricos. We also want to visit the Stone Crab Lounge at Fulton's after so many fun reviews. (I've been to Fulton's for lunch but somehow totally missed the lounge.)

I'll be back with an update once park hours for January are released!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!