My issues with the multi-use toiletries

Where are the units located in the shower? On the side or the rear wall? It's hard to tell from the above pictures.

PHOTO CREDIT: Pixie Dust Fan

They are mounted below that niche on the back wall where you see small bottle toiletries sitting. In my picture you can see the niche.

Pop-Century-Bathroom.jpg

Do people think the toiletries couldn't be tampered with before? The housekeepers don't sweep the room of toiletries between each guest, particularly if they appear to be full/not used. At some resorts the toiletry carts are stored in stairwells that anyone can access. Why would it be more likely to happen now than it was before? I think it is silly to worry about.

The individual ones had much smaller openings, which would make it more difficult to do, plus they used to have a seal on the edge of the lid to let you know if it had been opened (I didn’t see the seals on the most recent incarnation of individual toiletries though). The individual ones without the seal were at least in clear tubes, so you could see inside. These new ones are a bottle with a standard size opening that allows for much easier tampering, and they are not clear at all, except for a very narrow strip that runs up one side a short distance from the bottom so housekeeping can see when it’s empty. It would be easy to leave enough product in the bottom of the bottle to camouflage what they have done.

What resort stores their carts in stairwells? I have stayed at almost every Disney resort, and they all had housekeeping rooms to store the carts and there weren’t any in stairwells when using the steps. That would be against fire codes, wouldn’t it?

JUST us... we see these? NOT touching them. We generally bring our own, anyway.
Others? Absolutely do as you choose.
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

JUST us... we see these? NOT touching them. We generally bring our own, anyway.
Others? Absolutely do as you choose.
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Same here, and I don’t judge anyone who opts to use them. It’s a personal preference.

Just have to say, this scrimping on toiletries by Disney ticks me off. I share the opinion of many of you that this is about money rather than reducing plastic. Last weekend, we stayed at a really budgety budget motel right near Hershey Park. They provided shampoo, conditioner, lotion, 2 types & sizes of bar soap as well as a liquid body wash. If this cheapy motel can do it...give me a break Disney.

Just have to say, this scrimping on toiletries by Disney ticks me off. I share the opinion of many of you that this is about money rather than reducing plastic. Last weekend, we stayed at a really budgety budget motel right near Hershey Park. They provided shampoo, conditioner, lotion, 2 types & sizes of bar soap as well as a liquid body wash. If this cheapy motel can do it...give me a break Disney.
Yes. At the end of the day the cheapness of these really drives things home for me. Disney is screaming "we cut corners at our hotels." If they cut corners there, they might not use hot enough water for washing their sheets, etc.
Why not? Disney is definitely not saying "we care about the environment and are willing to pay extra to do so." (Like they would if they switched to better packaging of the individual products.) Nah, instead Disney is saying "We like to spend less money on guests at our hotels." So if this is what we SEE, imagine what they are spending less on that we DON'T see.

Interesting thoughts. The funny thing is that the higher end hotels I've been staying at, both here and in Europe, have had the hung units vs those individual toiletries. I do tend to bring my own soap. I prefer soap to body wash in the shower. I don't wash my hair while taking a bath, so where they are hung isn't an issue. And I'm very lucky...my hair just loves Disney's shampoo!!! It always looks great when I'm down there.
I just don't see an issue, but that's just me. I've stayed in several Disney resort rooms with these units..no issue at all. I prefer it actually.

I was just at a conference and my hotel had the wall mounted dispensers and no bar soap what so ever. I have no issue what so ever with refillable dispensers and the environmental impact is more important than any issue I would have.

As to the OP, I haven't had the two issues that were mentioned. I do use shower gel even with a wash cloth. You have to use a bit more and really lather it up but it works for me. I also don't really wash myself when I take a bath. The idea of sitting in my own filth isn't appealing. If I do soak, and I do ice baths after long runs so it happens from time to time, I drain the tub and then do a quick shower after so the placement isn't an issue.

Can't speak to the kids thing. Mine is 1 and we bath him with stuff we bring ourselves so I don't care if he can reach it. Actually it's better he can't.

Last edited:
Aside from the aesthetics related to a communal toiletry dispenser, I have an issue with cleaning the shower walls. Maybe our water is a heck of a lot softer than Orlando water, but anything hung on the walls in our showers need cleaning regularly or there is a significant build up that requires soaking. Vinegar works well. I would hate to take HK away from their security check duties, but I personally wonder about how much time it will take to keep up with the likely build up. Not sure how environmentally friendly I will find my shower walls with the communal dispensers.

They aren’t providing bath soap anymore? I always use the H2O Disney products. I don’t have a problem with them and don’t want the extra weight in my luggage. I use the body wash, I pack a bath thingy. What I find that does my hair in is the Florida water, not the product.
I’m glad they haven’t installed these in WL or any of the deluxe yet.
I can see how this would be a problem with placement if having a bath. Don’t know what the answer is. But if I have a bath, I’m not washing my hair in the bath water. At the end I stand up and use the shower to wash hair.

But they have. They have been testing them since April at Saratoga Springs. Unknown what building (read as, they wouldn't tell me at DVC member services).

Well I have become a fan of the H2O products since our recent stay at AKL and I assume this change to what I refer to as bacteria makers are so Disney can save a few more pennies by installing stuff that I will never use. My daughter had read the change was not going to the deluxe resorts so she is using the soap an another bullet in her battle to permanently get me to upgrade to deluxe.
Direct from DVC, they are in the deluxe resorts as a "testing" phase and getting good feedback.

Nope.............
I'll not use shared toiletry items.
I know where mine have been and what's in my bottles.
And I intend to tell them during my next check in what Disney Management can do with those non tamper proof bottles. :mad:
Write to guest relations. more effective. yes, it's gross.

I hope they don't make this change to deluxe or DVC resorts. I've been using H2O products exclusively since our first family visits to WDW a decade ago.

I can usually stockpile enough of the toiletries from our visits to last me until the next visit. (Fortunately I'm the only one in the family to use them.) Running out of toiletries is what prompts me to book another trip to WDW! ;)

They started in April at Saratoga Springs. Member Satisfaction says they're getting good feedback!!! Call!!

Not so sure I go with the reuse thing, and I have never seen a cart stored anywhere after hours but ....

I think it's more fun to talk about the tampering .......... :D

That would not be my concern but then I have short hair and it will grow back fast ::yes:: and if Disney had to make it right ....

No, but seriously ....

My issues are ...

1) Units not being completely disinfected between guests (mine has soap scum on unit on arrival)
2) Previous guests washing bodies ... then touching units .... and repeat (these are not just hand soap dispensers)
3) Bacteria is proven to grow in pump soap containers (lots of science to back it up)
4) If Disney is truly cutting down on plastic that means they are refilling these things, which leads to ^

When I was there I covered the unit with a plastic grocery bag so DS1 would touch it. They can take them out and stop providing toiletries for all I care, I pack my own. I even pack pump soap for sink if I'm going for more than a couple days. That would save lots of money and plastic.

i agree 1000% what about if someone cuts thneselves shaving. A nice bloody hand tougching the pumps. Blech. I have seen blood on toilet paper cover in the MK Adventureland ladies room. I don't use that restroom anymore and always carry tissues. I work in healthcare, humans are icky. It's suggested even in your own home to change soap dispensers regularly because of bacteria. And once at 7:30 AM I was on a bus from AKL to AK for extra magic hours. I had to stand under this guys armpit and it STUNK. Like a few days worth of BO. No way do I want to share toiletries with anyone.

A bunch of people are saying check a bag. Checked bags are not free anymore. And if the SUPER 8 & Motel 6 at $70/night can give you some shampoo daily. So can WDW and even in the DVC resorts, I was fine with it every fourth day.

i agree 1000% what about if someone cuts thneselves shaving. A nice bloody hand tougching the pumps. Blech. I have seen blood on toilet paper cover in the MK Adventureland ladies room. I don't use that restroom anymore and always carry tissues. I work in healthcare, humans are icky. It's suggested even in your own home to change soap dispensers regularly because of bacteria. And once at 7:30 AM I was on a bus from AKL to AK for extra magic hours. I had to stand under this guys armpit and it STUNK. Like a few days worth of BO. No way do I want to share toiletries with anyone.

A bunch of people are saying check a bag. Checked bags are not free anymore. And if the SUPER 8 & Motel 6 at $70/night can give you some shampoo daily. So can WDW and even in the DVC resorts, I was fine with it every fourth day.

No difference between them touching a pump and touching the water controls. Or the shower door. Or housekeeping having to touch the little bottles to put them out or move them. Not sure how touching the pump is any different than touching anything else many hands have been on. Which is something you can't avoid if you leave your house.

I am hoping the Poly has the same setup that Pop does, if the word about deluxe resorts having the communal bottles is true. At the Pop, the shower had the communal bottles, but there was also still a bar of hand soap, next to the sink. Since I bring my own shampoo, using the bar soap in the shower is good enough for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts