My issues with the multi-use toiletries

I read a comment on a blog about these mounted pump community toiletries that made an impression on me. I can’t recall the exact comment but it involved the perception people have when they enter a hotel room. They want a fresh room and although they aren’t so delusional as to believe other guests haven’t stayed in that room thousands of times, they don’t want that fact waived in their faces in quite the way a community toiletry bottle does.

Human nature I guess.

Last edited:
I guess I’m in the minority here, but I like the new toiletries on the wall. It just made things easier - no fiddling around with little bottles and caps with wet hands; no dropping bottles, it was just easier. They were easier for my kids to use, too. On the side of each bottle, there is an area where you can see how much of each liquid is left. I left a note for our mousekeeper that we were low on conditioner (noted by looking at the side of the bottle), and the conditioner was replenished when our room was serviced that day. The toiletries are locked on the wall so I’m not worried about tampering. If I were worried about tampering, I’d never eat the ketchup from a ketchup bottle in a restaurant. The same with salt, pepper, vinegar, etc. It’s just something that never crossed my mind honestly, but those bottles can be tampered with much easier than the toiletries on the wall in the bathroom.

No doubt. But I think they are shooting themselves in the foot for several reasons:
  1. One of the reasons that hotels and cruise lines provide fancy toiletries with their corporate name on them is to have people take them home with them, be reminded of the hotel/ship at home, and then hopefully book another trip! All that is lost with multi-use toiletries that you can't take home with you.
  2. Many people will be grossed out by the prospect of multi-use toiletries. And while it may be "green," it feels cheap.
  3. As a DVC member, pretty much the only reason I get the daily trash & towel service is to have the toiletries restocked, and the travel-size toiletries cost them a lot less than the $15 I pay for this service. I also tip the housekeeper.
Here's hoping this trend doesn't extend to the deluxe/DVC resorts (or the DCL ships!), or there will be little to distinguish them from the values and moderates, especially for the prices that Disney charges.
On our last DVC stay in April they replaced the toiletries when they took the trash every day.

On our last DVC stay in April they replaced the toiletries when they took the trash every day.

Which DVC resort was this? I didn’t have toiletries replaced with daily trash removal at BWV, BC or POLY this year.

All of those plastic dispensers are cheap plastic. The soap dispensers and paper towel holders are always breaking at my job. It just takes one or two more aggressive people with the them and snap, the cheap plastic breaks. We replace the soap dispensers several times a year.
The ones at Disney (at least POP) are metal not plastic

I'm betting that is part of the reason for going to the wall dispensers. People stockpiling. Not saying I wouldn't do it if I actually liked the H20 stuff, but I have to believe it is a big part of the reason for the change.
What difference is it if she uses it at the hotel or uses it later? She bought it with the room. She's not going to the cart and filling her bag.

I love the toiletries at the Disney resorts. H2O is great and I like having a personal bottle. I bring a few products of my own but for the most part we used the products they provided. And ours have always been replenished with daily housekeeping. Maybe it would be better if they installed the ones that work like automatic hand sanitizers where you put your hand under the dispenser and a sensor pumps a certain amount in your hand. That way there is no touching of those bottles. Also those type of dispensers usually have a bag refill so it makes it difficult to tamper with. I'm sorry but those holders just scream mold and mildew and germ haven to me.

Did you order the trash & towel service, or was this done as part of the new complimentary daily trash service?

Did you order the trash & towel service, or was this done as part of the new complimentary daily trash service?

Excellent question. It would help if Disney would let us know what’s included in the “complimentary” daily trash service that we can’t refuse anyways.

Excellent question. It would help if Disney would let us know what’s included in the “complimentary” daily trash service that we can’t refuse anyways.
The "complimentary" trash "security check," is just that. They take your trash.

If you are lucky, like us, you will get to see everyone's trash because he brought the half full bag into my room and dragged it around the room collecting trash and recyclables. Yes, all into the same bag. No, they don't always recycle your recyclables.

The "complimentary" trash "security check," is just that. They take your trash.

If you are lucky, like us, you will get to see everyone's trash because he brought the half full bag into my room and dragged it around the room collecting trash and recyclables. Yes, all into the same bag. No, they don't always recycle your recyclables.

I would not appreciate HK/security dragging a trash bag half full with other guests’s trash through my room. I thought they left the carts in the hallway??? Heaven only knows what they do when you are NOT there. Likely better we have no idea.

Yea, it was pretty obvious they were not worrying about recyclables when they were emptying my regular trash and recycling trash bins in my DVC units this year. It’s a red herring that they are moving to the community pump dispensers for environmental reasons. It’s $ driven like many other recent changes. My opinion only.

I would not appreciate HK/security dragging a trash bag half full with other guests’s trash through my room. I thought they left the carts in the hallway??? Heaven only knows what they do when you are NOT there. Likely better we have no idea.

Yea, it was pretty obvious they were not worrying about recyclables when they were emptying my regular trash and recycling trash bins in my DVC units this year. It’s a red herring that they are moving to the community pump dispensers for environmental reasons. It’s $ driven like many other recent changes. My opinion only.
My opinion too.

They like to claim they are doing so much for environmental causes. But it seems that they are actually trying to save money or make their customers spend money. They are going to charge for bags, they are no longer using individual toiletries, but I am sure you can buy them in their stores and straws are going away at least for the time being.

And I believe it is so they can make more money. It doesn't bother me, other than that they are trying to pass it off as being because it is better for the environment.

My opinion too.

They like to claim they are doing so much for environmental causes. But it seems that they are actually trying to save money or make their customers spend money. They are going to charge for bags, they are no longer using individual toiletries, but I am sure you can buy them in their stores and straws are going away at least for the time being.

And I believe it is so they can make more money. It doesn't bother me, other than that they are trying to pass it off as being because it is better for the environment.

I agree. It's annoying at best - offensive at worst - for Disney to provide inferior service while telling us that they are being altruistic. I don't like being gaslighted.
There is also a group of Disney lovers who will believe anything - and I mean anything - Disney tells them. Disney could say they were going to keep the air conditioning at 85 degrees to save the environment and some people would defend this decision vigorously, praising Disney for being such a good steward of the earth.
To me it's obvious that this is not about the environment. They could use disposable/recyclable plastics and they don't. Not hard to see why.

I will definitely be bringing my own now, although I do tend to do that anyway, unless we are flying and bringing only carry-on.

My main concern is what several others have posted, that we don't know what the last guest may have done to what is in those bottles. I do tend to be a tad on the paranoid side about that kind of stuff though. :)

There have been several news stories of communal bathroom soap pump dispensers being tampered with - you can google those - and you will no longer see yourself as paranoid. There are some really sick people out there.

My opinion too.

I wouldn’t put it past them to SELL the little bottles in the gift store once they put the community pump dispensers in all the rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!