My issues with the multi-use toiletries

Did you order the trash & towel service, or was this done as part of the new complimentary daily trash service?
They replaced what we used. We never saw anyone in our room-trash was just gone and new toiletries. This was at AKL.
Room was immaculate, by the way. These boards have me paranoid sometimes, but luckily we’ve never had an issue-just a minor plumbing issue they fixed within the hour-and mopped the bathroom floor before they left.

I have taken my own toiletries for over 25 years now. This way I am not surprised by a product that I break out from and miserable on my vacation. The community bottles don't bother me as long as they are cleaned and there is not soap scum under or behind them. If we fly I just pack them in my checked bag unless my mom is paying for the flight and restricts us to 1 suitcase for every 2 people in which case I put them in a flat rate box and ship them ahead of time. I also try and find the nearest health food store when I travel in case I need to get more supplies in an emergency especially since my youngest has extremely sensitive skin and seems to react to everything. The only shampoo, conditioner, and body wash that has not caused a reaction is Desert Essence Fragrance Free line. https://www.desertessence.com/store/fragrance-free-conditioner#essentials. If anyone knows of which store carries this brand near WDW that information would be very helpful.

I have taken my own toiletries for over 25 years now. This way I am not surprised by a product that I break out from and miserable on my vacation. The community bottles don't bother me as long as they are cleaned and there is not soap scum under or behind them. If we fly I just pack them in my checked bag unless my mom is paying for the flight and restricts us to 1 suitcase for every 2 people in which case I put them in a flat rate box and ship them ahead of time. I also try and find the nearest health food store when I travel in case I need to get more supplies in an emergency especially since my youngest has extremely sensitive skin and seems to react to everything. The only shampoo, conditioner, and body wash that has not caused a reaction is Desert Essence Fragrance Free line. https://www.desertessence.com/store/fragrance-free-conditioner#essentials. If anyone knows of which store carries this brand near WDW that information would be very helpful.

Per their website ~ easy to get to from Disney.

Whole Foods

8003 Turkey Lake Rd
Orlando, FL 32819

The toiletries are locked on the wall so I’m not worried about tampering. If I were worried about tampering, I’d never eat the ketchup from a ketchup bottle in a restaurant. The same with salt, pepper, vinegar, etc. It’s just something that never crossed my mind honestly, but those bottles can be tampered with much easier than the toiletries on the wall in the bathroom.

They aren’t locked. On the initial threads regarding the switch, people were talking about how easy it was to turn the little latch and take the bottles out. The latch is there simply to hold the bottles in place. It would be so easy to tamper with them. No one wants to find something like Nair where the conditioner should be (or worse).

For the record, I don’t use communal condiments either. I was having dinner at the Concourse Steakhouse at CR one time and the couple at the next table went to use A1 Steaksauce on their steak and a sauce coated crayon came out of the bottle. Yea, people can and will tamper with anything. If it’s not individually sealed portions, I will do without.

They aren’t locked. On the initial threads regarding the switch, people were talking about how easy it was to turn the little latch and take the bottles out. The latch is there simply to hold the bottles in place. It would be so easy to tamper with them. No one wants to find something like Nair where the conditioner should be (or worse).

For the record, I don’t use communal condiments either. I was having dinner at the Concourse Steakhouse at CR one time and the couple at the next table went to use A1 Steaksauce on their steak and a sauce coated crayon came out of the bottle. Yea, people can and will tamper with anything. If it’s not individually sealed portions, I will do without.

It’s not locked?!?! Mine was locked. There was a circle with two holes in it, I’m assuming to put a key in or something to open/lock it. I’m really surprised people can open them because I was playing around with it and it wouldn’t budge (the circle thingy that is). I guess if you insert a Bobby pin or something you can probably jiggle it around enough to open it.

It’s not locked?!?! Mine was locked. There was a circle with two holes in it, I’m assuming to put a key in or something to open/lock it. I’m really surprised people can open them because I was playing around with it and it wouldn’t budge (the circle thingy that is). I guess if you insert a Bobby pin or something you can probably jiggle it around enough to open it.
Those sound like a type of two pin Spanner Locks and any Spanner Key with the appropriate pin size and distance between pins will open them.
Also two small nails and a pair of pliers will do the same thing.
They are a prime example of the adage, "Locks only keep out honest people."

Those sound like a type of two pin Spanner Locks and any Spanner Key with the appropriate pin size and distance between pins will open them.
Also two small nails and a pair of pliers will do the same thing.
They are a prime example of the adage, "Locks only keep out honest people."

Fair enough, but I still think that 99% of people travel to Disney with no intent of tampering with the toiletries.

Twenty million people travel to WDW per year. If 99% of them have no intention of tampering with the toiletries, that leaves 200,000 people who are up to no good. ;-)

I also laughed at the 99% and thought it better be at least 99.9999%. It just leaves too many people with bad intentions !;)

Twenty million people travel to WDW per year. If 99% of them have no intention of tampering with the toiletries, that leaves 200,000 people who are up to no good. ;-)

200,000 is alot of no gooders, and it only takes one ............

V: What happened Pat?
P: I went to Disney World.

giphy.gif

Fair enough, but I still think that 99% of people travel to Disney with no intent of tampering with the toiletries.

What Jen1995 said.
I've learned that there are just enough people out there who are either ill raised, stupid, or malicious, to make it my permanent lifestyle to be extremely cautious at all times.

All I could think about when I saw this comment was that you clearly have not seen the Friends episode where Ross takes literally everything from the hotel room, including the light bulbs.

On a more realistic note, I have seen people not only take their hotel room toiletries but also walk past and take additional ones from the cleaning carts!!! Apparently these goods must have a high price on the hotel room black market... :confused3

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I like the new toiletries on the wall. It just made things easier - no fiddling around with little bottles and caps with wet hands; no dropping bottles, it was just easier. They were easier for my kids to use, too. On the side of each bottle, there is an area where you can see how much of each liquid is left. I left a note for our mousekeeper that we were low on conditioner (noted by looking at the side of the bottle), and the conditioner was replenished when our room was serviced that day. The toiletries are locked on the wall so I’m not worried about tampering. If I were worried about tampering, I’d never eat the ketchup from a ketchup bottle in a restaurant. The same with salt, pepper, vinegar, etc. It’s just something that never crossed my mind honestly, but those bottles can be tampered with much easier than the toiletries on the wall in the bathroom.

They aren't locked. Anyone can open it and take them out.

66b37ba3-e882-4ccd-ad67-51bc2642ca36-jpeg.297078

Do people think the toiletries couldn't be tampered with before? The housekeepers don't sweep the room of toiletries between each guest, particularly if they appear to be full/not used. At some resorts the toiletry carts are stored in stairwells that anyone can access. Why would it be more likely to happen now than it was before? I think it is silly to worry about.

Do people think the toiletries couldn't be tampered with before? The housekeepers don't sweep the room of toiletries between each guest, particularly if they appear to be full/not used. At some resorts the toiletry carts are stored in stairwells that anyone can access. Why would it be more likely to happen now than it was before? I think it is silly to worry about.

Not so sure I go with the reuse thing, and I have never seen a cart stored anywhere after hours but ....

I think it's more fun to talk about the tampering .......... :D

That would not be my concern but then I have short hair and it will grow back fast ::yes:: and if Disney had to make it right ....

No, but seriously ....

My issues are ...

1) Units not being completely disinfected between guests (mine has soap scum on unit on arrival)
2) Previous guests washing bodies ... then touching units .... and repeat (these are not just hand soap dispensers)
3) Bacteria is proven to grow in pump soap containers (lots of science to back it up)
4) If Disney is truly cutting down on plastic that means they are refilling these things, which leads to ^

When I was there I covered the unit with a plastic grocery bag so DS1 would touch it. They can take them out and stop providing toiletries for all I care, I pack my own. I even pack pump soap for sink if I'm going for more than a couple days. That would save lots of money and plastic.

Where are the units located in the shower? On the side or the rear wall? It's hard to tell from the above pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter