My Journey: 5K to Full Marathon ... Only with runDisney!

TheTXTaylors5

He's the Mickey to my Minnie
It has been YEARS since I've posted on the DISboards. Lately, I'd open the webpage to pull up the Podcast and then listen as I went along with my daily chores. I used to be on the DISboards for HOURS at a time and it became an addiction. I honestly needed a break. What I have done with my two years away???

I've lost over a hundred pounds and embraced runDisney. Yes, I found a new addiction! lol!!!
(Have you seen the ***bling***?)

I did my first ever 5K race in 2011 at Walt Disney World. It was the Halloween 5K during Food & Wine which has now been renamed Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K. Okay, I didn't run, I walked it. It was a fun race and an amazingly positive experience. However, I wasn't bit by the runDisney bug at that race. It took me having gastric surgery in 2013 to search out a healthier lifestyle to keep me on-track with my weight loss journey. I am passionate about anything Disney. I love to visit the parks (on both coasts) and am a person that needs a carrot dangled in front of her to keep motivated. runDisney is a perfect fit to get this Disneyphile moving in the right direction ...:car:

Since running that first race in 2011, I have run a few more runDisney and local races. It has been a slowwwww progression from my first "running" step to completing my first Half Marathon last year. I can attest, if I can do it ... You can do it! I am NOT a runner. I will never categorize myself as a runner. After fully running my first 5K race using the Couch-5K Method, I was miserable and thought that these people are crazy! I just don't physically have the endurance to run continuously for 30+ minutes. Some of us are not born runners or athletes. I thought that I would have to find another exercise source until I found the Run-Walk-Run Method from Jeff Galloway. He's a former Olympian and current runDisney consultant. This method has been a game-changer in my life. I can actually tolerate running (in short intervals) and have been able to build up my distance endurance. (I've now done THREE Half Marathons!!!)

So, how does the title of this thread come into play? I am not getting any younger. I'm a 42 (almost 43) year old stay-at-home mother of three that is honestly on borrowed time with my knees and overall health. Being overweight for so long has reeked havoc on my body. I've already had knee surgery and have zero cartilage in both my knees. I've put off knee replacements. I know that once I opt for knee replacements, my running and quality of life will be iffy. I've had a horrible past year health wise with blood transfusions, iron infusions, a major surgery and an uncertainty on whether I need more surgeries. Right now, it's a time of ... "I'd better do it now, while I still can!" Also, I must admit it's on my "Bucket List".

On April 14, 2015, I officially signed up to run my very first marathon, The Walt Disney World Marathon on January 10, 2016. After the registration was submitted, I was excited. It was surreal!!! Then, in the next moment I thought to myself, "What have I done?" How am I going to complete 26.2 miles?!?! I have never run/walked more than 13.1 miles!!! So, my marathon journey begins ...

Yesterday was the very first official training day for the marathon from the runDisney site. However, I am following the eCoaching training I have through Jeff Galloway. My husband bought me an eCoaching Program for Mother's Day. I wasn't sure if I should have been insulted or thrilled. But, it should help avoid arguments on my training because an expert is giving me advice along on the way. I have to note that my husband is also participating in his first marathon too. We've been on this gastric surgery and running journey together. It helps when you have a support system and even better when they can totally relate to your struggles and successes. This has actually brought us closer. :love:

So, here I go in full swing marathon training. It should be an interesting next six months ...

What an inspiration!!! I am currently training to run/walk my first 5K, the Jingle Jungle 5K, this November! It was pretty much the only way my husband would go back to Disney and for me to get healthy so it's a win-win for us both. It's been rough since I am so overweight but I've gotten great support from these boards. Thanks for sharing your story!

Awesome!! Good for you! I too like the Jeff Galloway method and is the only way I've found so far that makes me feel like "yes!! I can do this!!" I'm doing my first PHM this year. :)

This is awesome. I used runDisney to get myself in shape too. I am your age, almost. I will be 42 in September. I started running last March after signing up for the Tower of Terror 10 miler in October. I had never run a step before signing up. But, I knew Disney would keep me motivated. Along the way I began to love it. Two weeks after the ToT race I ran my first marathon. It was hard.

I think you should be thrilled that your husband got you Jeff Galloway for Mother's Day. He is awesome. I met him at the ToT Expo. I have heard him on many podcasts. He loves what he does and he will help you reach your goals.

I am also running the WDW Marathon in January. You should come join the marathon thread and post your story there. You will get a lot of support and encouragement. The good news is, the training is the worst part of a marathon. The race itself, at WDW, will be the reward. And when you approach and cross that finish line you will cry and be so proud of yourself. It's an awesome feeling. Then you get to walk around the parks with that medal around your neck. I am excited for you!!!!

Congrats on your successes TheTXTaylors5! !! I too love all things Disney and was quite OBSESSED with the disboards!! I would lose myself for hours at a time here and comment, weigh in and chime in on any and every thread possible... Them my life got busier and busier with kids and worked and I kind of slipped away! Now that my kids are older, our trips are changing a little bit... We all still love Disney but its different. Hard to explain, but still good.

I am not a "runner". Sure I have run over the years, but have only competed in a handufl of oranized races and such. I am a life long athlete but put that on hold while raising my kids. Now I am getting back in shape and have a little more "me" time... I have always wanted to run a Disney 1/2 marathon and have made it a goal of mine for my 40th birthday! I turn 40 in Dec of 2016. I hope to get into the Princess 1/2 and meet that goal. This year we happened to have a trip planed the same week as t he Wine & Dine Race weekend... I waved my magic wand, shuffled some things and dates around and entered my 16 year old son and myself into the Jingle Jungle 5k! That in inself was a feat as it sold out in less than an hour!! I almost signed up for the 1/2 but didn't want to run it alone... and my time with DS16 is limited. He will be off to college before I know it! This will be my first experiece with RunDisney events and I am thoroughly lookinig forward to it! I wish I had signed up for the 1/2 because I think I could do it now... Maybe not in March but now I think I can do it! In fact I KNOW I can!

Keep up the good work - i feel this becoming anew obsession of mine now too!! The medals look AMAZING!!

You can do it!! I had gastric bypass when i was 21..so a little over 10 years ago! Running/jogging and training for 1st 5k in feburary and ill be just over 2 years post op a 360 degree l5/s1 fusion.

Your post gave me some extra needed motivation!

Did you have RNY or the newer gastric sleeve? Around my 5 year mark after RNY i kept getting severe anemia, b12 deficiency, and i have had 3 strictures (including one two weeks ago) & i am thinking it closed right back up because im getting sick again. Or it could be my gall bladder..
it is definitely not an easy path to weight loss like many assume. Ive struggled to keep 125lbs off (was 275) & several of my friends havent been so lucky. .

So... How is it going?? I am 26 days away from my first 1/2 marathon and first RunDisney event!!! Training has been going well... I kicked BUTT during the summer when we were all out of school - running 4 -5 times a week... but now that we are back into overdrive, I am lucky to get 3 runs in a week! I am excited for the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon Weekend and Jingle Jungle 5K. We have out "outfits" all figured out, so I just have to get on track and keep squeezing runs in... in between football games, 2 jobs, golf lessons, laundry and day to day life!!

It has been an awesome journey and I am please with the strength I have gained and the progress I have made. No mater the finish - its the personal achievements I have made on my way to the race is what I am most proud of!! And yes, with a bib # like 14814, and being in the last Corral (because I missed the Proof of Time submission) there is now where else to go but up!

So... How is it going?? I am 26 days away from my first 1/2 marathon and first RunDisney event!!! Training has been going well... I kicked BUTT during the summer when we were all out of school - running 4 -5 times a week... but now that we are back into overdrive, I am lucky to get 3 runs in a week! I am excited for the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon Weekend and Jingle Jungle 5K. We have out "outfits" all figured out, so I just have to get on track and keep squeezing runs in... in between football games, 2 jobs, golf lessons, laundry and day to day life!!

It has been an awesome journey and I am please with the strength I have gained and the progress I have made. No mater the finish - its the personal achievements I have made on my way to the race is what I am most proud of!! And yes, with a bib # like 14814, and being in the last Corral (because I missed the Proof of Time submission) there is now where else to go but up!

You are 3 weeks away from an amazing experience and I don't just mean the race. That's is awesome but the feeling you will get when you finish your first 1/2 marathon is so awesome. It's a lot of work to get ready for a 1/2, as you now know, and it just shows what you can accomplish when you set your mind to it. Congrats on your journey. Have a great time at your race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter