My Knott's experience: positive with exceptions

I just got back from California last week and did visit KBF while visiting. I had never been there before and was actually pleasantly surprised. If you buy tickets online, you get an $18 discount per one day ticket and my hotel let me email the confirmation and printed the tickets for me. Parking is $15. I am a roller coaster fan and had that in mind for my plan. The park opened at 10 for the general public but not all rides were open. We were able to ride 5 coasters in the morning however, but had to scope out which ones were running.

By the afternoon, we were ready for the shows in the parks. They are actually quite a nice diversion. Definately check out the native american show. The hoop dance is spectacular. The best thing I did? Ghost Rider is by far an excellent wooden roller coaster. I loved it. Also, the Accelorator is very good albeit short.

Lines were completely manageable all day. We only had a snack in the park and waited to eat a substantial meal later outside the park.

AgaveGirl, I would agree that for a summer (Friday) day in a theme park the lines were very manageable with the one big exception of the capacity-challenged Silver Bullet. It would also have helped spread the midday crowds around if everything had opened at 10 -- not sure if that is a usual thing or just both of our bad luck.

I should have mentioned that parking is a steep $15. Thanks for the reminder.

I would have loved to do more of the shows but my teens' priorities were roller coasters.

PHXscuba

Thanks to everyone for their helpful and informative posts! I see the last post was from July 2012....does anyone have any more helpful hints/updated information since then?

Specific question: We have a 50" 7 year old son :-( who won't be able to ride on Wind Seeker, Supreme Scream, Xcelerator and Silver Bullet, it looks like...
I know we want to do Ghost Rider (first? I'm thinking?)...
Do you have any "touring plan" order of events that we should try to follow? What is most important (if you take out those 4 rides that he can't do)?

TIA!!

This year, ERT starts on June 15 and is daily through Labor Day weekend, so the previous warnings apply.

Suggested order:

Ghostrider, Bigfoot Rapids (on a sunny morning), Pony Express, Boardwalk rides, log ride, mine ride, stagecoach, Sierra Sidewinder ..

You could decide to skip Ghostrider at opening if there is a long line of ERT riders already waiting.

Thank you!
ERT is when the hotel guests get into the park an hour early, correct?
Am I correct that only certain rides are open for those guests? or do they have access to the whole park?
(or what do I need to know to work with ERT to minimize waiting for Ghost Rider?)

TIA!!!

Is it worthwhile to get the 'Fastlane' (or whatever it is they call their express pass)?

We were at Knotts this past Sunday, and though there were a lot of people, it wasn't super crowded. I wouldn't advise getting those passes unless there is an unusually large crowd there.

I waited maybe 20 minutes for Silver Bullet (omgosh - so much fun), and the log ride line was maybe a 30 minutes. This is with 3 big rides down for refurbishment.

As for ERT, I believe only certain rides are open during that time. We were at the park last Sunday for Coasting for Kids, so were riding Jaguar at 8am. We saw people coming in at 9, and there were still some rides closed, like the Log Ride (that would be one I would want to ride right away). At 10am, the rest opened up.

Summer Early Ride Time
June 15-Labor Day (Daily)
9:30 AM

Season Pass Holders can enter the park 30 minutes early, at 9:30am, and enjoy all of Camp Snoopy and a select coaster all summer long! ... Available coasters may include Silver Bullet, Ghost Rider, and/or Sierra Sidewinder.

Thanks for the info, Perlster!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the cleanliness/gang/safety status of KBF as of late?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the info, Perlster!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the cleanliness/gang/safety status of KBF as of late?

Thanks!!

I can only tell you what I observed last summer, but it appears from the new rides they are putting in and refurbishing that Knott's is trying to polish its image. I know the restrooms I visited last summer were as similarly clean as Disney's, and that I felt safe at all times. We visited on a Friday and I could definitely feel the crowd skewing younger and a little more boisterous after dark as families/daytrippers from DL left and more locals came into Knott's. Annual passes are cheap enough that I think it could be a regular hangout for teens.

PHXscuba

Thanks for the very helpful review - we are visiting in September and will have a spare day - again due to Disney not wishing to sell 6 day hoppers anymore and this is what people will do - go elsewhere.

We are from the UK so have never been to a Six Flags or similar but still looking forward to the change of scenary (we too have a teen)

We are intending to get the public bus from S. Harbor Bvd.

Hopefully the park will be a little quieter on a mid week day in September

I never really liked Knotts the workers always seem bleh. However I will say...Ghostrider at night the first time I rode it in the front seat I was ducking like a madman :rotfl2:

I never really liked Knotts the workers always seem bleh. However I will say...Ghostrider at night the first time I rode it in the front seat I was ducking like a madman :rotfl2:

I felt like the workers, especially the ride operators, were stretched a little thin -- often the only CMs were the ones loading and operating the ride, so there is no greeter, or someone at the chokepoints, etc. They had to be all business.

The others we interacted with in gift shops and the "street performers" were as nice as any I saw at Disneyland. I think some of the positions are so overwhelmed that it's hard to be "magical."

I have to go back and ride Ghostrider sometime because it was closed the day we went. I think I would love it!

PHXscuba

I enjoy Knott's, as it was a place I went as a child and I have so many memories of my family spending wonderful days there. One thing I'd like to point out is that Knotts is extremly unfriendly to the "pooh sized." As a big guy, I can onlu go on a few, and it kinda sucks because I always feel more like the "chaperone" for the kids. I wait in line with them, then have to use the "chicken door" because I cannot ride with them. For those of you in the same situation as me, this is something to think about when planning your day at Knotts.

Good to hear Knott's may be on the mend. The last time my wife and I went we swore never to go back. To many gangs and to much gang violence going in inside and outside the park.

Maybe we will give it a shot again on our next visit.

Thanks for the very helpful review - we are visiting in September and will have a spare day - again due to Disney not wishing to sell 6 day hoppers anymore and this is what people will do - go elsewhere.

We are from the UK so have never been to a Six Flags or similar but still looking forward to the change of scenary (we too have a teen)

We are intending to get the public bus from S. Harbor Bvd.

Hopefully the park will be a little quieter on a mid week day in September

Mid-week in September you will have the park mostly to yourself! It's a great time to visit. My DD13 used to be off in September and we would got to KBFs. After Labor Day the place becomes a "ghost town" :rotfl: I remember one trip we did 26 rides and another time 29. We basically left before the park closed because we had done all we wanted to do. Their hours aren't posted for Sept. yet but I think it's either 10-6 or 10-5:30. Depends on the day. The Halloween Haunts starts around the last few weeks of Sept. and that affects the closing time.

Let me know if you have any questions. I love Knotts for what it is. Will be going one day this week. (My Disney AP has expired and I won't be getting my new for a few months at least.):confused3

Mid-week in September you will have the park mostly to yourself! It's a great time to visit. My DD13 used to be off in September and we would got to KBFs. After Labor Day the place becomes a "ghost town" :rotfl: I remember one trip we did 26 rides and another time 29. We basically left before the park closed because we had done all we wanted to do. Their hours aren't posted for Sept. yet but I think it's either 10-6 or 10-5:30. Depends on the day. The Halloween Haunts starts around the last few weeks of Sept. and that affects the closing time.

Let me know if you have any questions. I love Knotts for what it is. Will be going one day this week. (My Disney AP has expired and I won't be getting my new for a few months at least.):confused3

That's great to know - thanks - I looked at the hours for last September and the Halloween party started the last Friday in September so our plans at the moment (if the schedule is similar to last year) are to visit the day before - the Thursday as we don't wish to visit the party. The shorter hours won't bother us either - I suppose that on the day of the party, they will ask the regular guests to leave early anyway and we plan to arrive at park opening - lets see if we get anywhere close to your target of 29:banana::banana:.

That's great to know - thanks - I looked at the hours for last September and the Halloween party started the last Friday in September so our plans at the moment (if the schedule is similar to last year) are to visit the day before - the Thursday as we don't wish to visit the party. The shorter hours won't bother us either - I suppose that on the day of the party, they will ask the regular guests to leave early anyway and we plan to arrive at park opening - lets see if we get anywhere close to your target of 29:banana::banana:.

Yes regular guests will have to leave on party nights. I've been there a few days when they've had the party that night and Knott's we so quiet-I love it!

Ride Challenge is on!:rotfl2: Good luck!

Yes regular guest will have to leave on party nights. I've been there a few days when they've had the party that night and Knott's we so quiet-I love it!

Ride Challenge is on!:rotfl2: Good luck!

;) So from what you say, maybe Friday during the day (with a party later that night) could be quieter than the Thursday without a party?

What time do they allow the party guests enter the park? Is it like at DLR, where the party guests come in at about 4pm and mingle with the 'regular guests' for a couple of hours or so before the 'regular guests' have to leave?

;) So from what you say, maybe Friday during the day (with a party later that night) could be quieter than the Thursday without a party?

What time do they allow the party guests enter the park? Is it like at DLR, where the party guests come in at about 4pm and mingle with the 'regular guests' for a couple of hours or so before the 'regular guests' have to leave?

At that time of year you will be fine on either day. They may close 1/2 hour earlier on party days, I can't really remember.

No, unlike Disney they do not allow early entry, except for those who buy the pre-party meal. They get in 1/2 hour early. They will completely clear the park and then they have a lot of work to do to get ready for the Haunt.

Last year The Haunt started on Sept. 21st.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter