My Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway Theory

The trackless ride system and screens as used in Ratatouille in Paris was not at all what was imagined. The screens used were not a computer monitor, but floor to ceiling (in perception). The fast pace of the cars as we moved through chasing the Rat from room to room kept interest at peak. Sounds and air effects meant the knife heading toward the Rat narrowly missed our heads. Just another simulator ride? If they add nothing to the Ratatouille underpinnings, it will still be a great ride.

Completely agree, I absolutely hate the way the new cartoons are animated and it's seriously affecting how excited I am for this ride. I really want to support Disney whenever they do 2D-animated work, but that's hard to do in cases like this. Goofy looks absolutely grotesque.

Came here to say exactly this. I really can't stand the new animation style. Such a turn off for me. It really is dampening the excitement for this ride for me.

It's basically Ren and Stimpy with Mickey and company. But while the animation is that odd "grotesque" style, overall, the stories I've seen are pretty funny .. similar to the old shorts back in the 30, 40s and 50s. The problem is the funny antics are disrupted by the grotesque animation or grotesque bits of humor thrown in. (Like the old Ren/Stimpy style of "closeups" or "potty humor" or things like that.

I think they are making a poor choice using this animation style for sure .. these cartoons feel more geared towards tweens and teenagers and 20-somethings (like Ren and Stimpy was) .. NOT children. It feels like it will date the attraction too much too.

YES! I’ve been comparing this style to Ren and Stimpy to my husband but he never watched it so didn’t get the comparison. I hate this Mickey style and agree it will be dated very quickly.

I didn't like the new style of animation either...until I watched the actual episodes. It's kinda awesome and hilarious. Potatoland may be the greatest episode ever LOL.

To be fair, while I adored... ADORED all the original Mickey and CO shorts, they had their fair share of humor that wasn't meant for little kids either.

I didn't like the new style of animation either...until I watched the actual episodes. It's kinda awesome and hilarious. Potatoland may be the greatest episode ever LOL.

To be fair, while I adored... ADORED all the original Mickey and CO shorts, they had their fair share of humor that wasn't meant for little kids either.

We love Potatoland, too! It's our favorite.

Surely we aren't the only two.

Agree that the "classic" cartoons .. whether it is Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck or even Bugs Bunny aren't always kid appropriate when you look at them with adult eyes. There is violence, ogling over women, cross-dressing, temper tantrums, etc. Just have to remember that they were written and drawn by ADULTS.
But I think you can still have the humor of these new episodes without the "grotesque" style they chose.

Now I need to find that Potatoland episode!

Wonder why Potatoes are so popular for cartoons/kid shows ... before Mickey Mouse, Pepa Pig did a whole stretch of episodes around a Potato themed amusement park (and did it 2.5 years earlier)

Potatoland vs Potato City.jpg

On the animation note, we really like the new style. Retro-modern. They seem to be targeting a little bit older kids, and my kids really like it. On our last visit, we would have it on any time we were in the room. They were 7 and 10.

I get it may not be for everyone, but the Clubhouse cartoons aren't going to do much for anyone north of preschool.

I agree. The new style is strange, but honestly that's why I like it. I enjoy that Disney was willing to do something different with their big main group of characters. Not to mention that the shorts themselves are pretty good quality. Interesting, funny, and a good characterization of Mickey (in my opinion. I'm admittedly not an expert on the different interpretations of Mickey's character throughout the years.) Sometimes you have to look past your initial opinions and actually watch the shorts and see them for what they actually are.
All in all I'm pretty excited to see how this ride turns out. If the people in charge of the actual shorts are helping with the ride story/animation at all, I don't doubt that it'll be a fun one.

When we stay at WDW, the Mickey Mouse cartoon channel is pretty much all we watch during the fleeting moments in our room ... and when Potatoland (or Yodelberg) comes on, everything stops for 5 minutes. My entire family finds the new style absolutely hilarious - I understand why it might be offputting at first (it was for me too), but we have grown to love it.

It's basically Ren and Stimpy with Mickey and company. But while the animation is that odd "grotesque" style, overall, the stories I've seen are pretty funny .. similar to the old shorts back in the 30, 40s and 50s. The problem is the funny antics are disrupted by the grotesque animation or grotesque bits of humor thrown in. (Like the old Ren/Stimpy style of "closeups" or "potty humor" or things like that.

I think they are making a poor choice using this animation style for sure .. these cartoons feel more geared towards tweens and teenagers and 20-somethings (like Ren and Stimpy was) .. NOT children. It feels like it will date the attraction too much too.

EXACTLY right. ...and I can't stand R&S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!