My mind sparked an idea...

LifeIsTinkIsLife

Mouseketeer
Some of my family have suggested since I have been to DLR so much that I try out WDW. I have been before but I was young so I don't remember very much of it. I was just wondering if it is "worth," for lack of better word, the extra money to go there instead of just going one state over to DLR. I don't even know how I would begin to plan it!

Some of my family have suggested since I have been to DLR so much that I try out WDW. I have been before but I was young so I don't remember very much of it. I was just wondering if it is "worth," for lack of better word, the extra money to go there instead of just going one state over to DLR. I don't even know how I would begin to plan it!

The first thing you should do is read HydroGuy's "An Introduction to WDW for DLR Vets": http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636.

I want to go again, as well. DH and I went in 2000, but we tagged along at the last minute with some friends who had planned the trip. We had a great time, but next time we go, I want to plan the park visits, dining/entertainment experiences, etc.!

YES! It is absolutely worth it. We went on our first trip to WDW this past summer and we are hooked. We enjoy Disneyland but fell in love with Disneyworld. We spent two weeks there and barely scratched the surface. There is a wealth of information to help you plan right here on the boards. :goodvibes

We are in Az and have done a dozen or so DL trips. We just got back from our WDW/3 night DCL cruise last week. This is our second time doing this. Our first time was back in 2006. I'm ready to go back again!! I don't care very much for the Magic Kingdom but the rest of the parks are so much fun! And even with 2 trips under our belts there's still so much we didn't get to see.

We did free dining and that was sooooo nice:goodvibes

Head on over to the various WDW boards and start your research. When to go, where to stay, dining, parks etc. We booked our cruise 18 months ahead of time and then booked the WDW portion this past summer. I've been researching daily for about a year now and when it got closer I bought a Tourguidemike membership to help with park touring.

I do think that the amount of research I did helped us avoid crowds, learn the ins and outs of the dining plan, see as much as possible and basically have a great time.

Just do a little at a time and you'll slowly get excited.

I think it's totally worth it to make at least one trip over there to see what the big deal is. Happy planning. :cool1:

Thanks guys! Yeah my trip would definitely be a ways away. I was sort of thinking it would be a neat place for when DBF and I finally decide to get married. We could have a honeymoon there, sort of like a new thing for us (he's never been). That won't be until probably after I am out of dental school but you can never have too much time to plan! :goodvibes If we do go there I would want to spend like 2 weeks so we could get the most out of it. I just got the planning DVD in the mail (just for fun, it was free!) so I will check that out too! :) So I can't even remember, what are the 4 parks?

It is wonderful. It is different from Disneyland in many many ways, while still being Disney and therefore, being similar at the same time.

"Worth" is only something you can answer as you know your situation, priorities, etc., but we had an amazing trip annd have been trying to find our way back!

As for where to start...
DH and I took a trip to WDW last October for our 10 year wedding anniversary. It was our first trip to WDW in almost 15 years. 2 adults - no kids. No idea if this will help or not, but I dug up my planning threads for you to glance over - maybe you will find something in them useful for you. :).

Planning it all - some great tips from fellow DIS'ers.

The final pieces

What to do in the Parks themselves.

Pre-Departure panic

1 shortest trip report ever (that I forgot I wrote until I just found it - and it made me smile, over a year later)

- Dreams

Wow, that is so nice of you to post that! I have been reading it and becoming more and more interested. :goodvibes I will definitely talk to DBF about taking a trip next year (2011). We are going to be moving out into an apartment in a couple months so we will have to see how we do with that. But I'm sure since he just got his raise and I still have my job that we will be able to save up enough! I do have another question, do you need a car to get around? We won't be old enough to rent a car for another few years. :confused3

I do have another question, do you need a car to get around? We won't be old enough to rent a car for another few years.
No need for a car if you're staying on site. You can use the WDW bus system as well as the monorail and boats.

If you're staying on site and fly in on certain carriers you can use the free "Magical Express" bus from the airport - you check your bags at your local airport with tags provided by Disney and they'll handle the bags all the way to your room.

http://www.mousesavers.com/magicalexpress.html

Wow, that is so nice of you to post that! I have been reading it and becoming more and more interested. :goodvibes I will definitely talk to DBF about taking a trip next year (2011). We are going to be moving out into an apartment in a couple months so we will have to see how we do with that. But I'm sure since he just got his raise and I still have my job that we will be able to save up enough! I do have another question, do you need a car to get around? We won't be old enough to rent a car for another few years. :confused3

Hope some info in the threads help you - they helped me! :goodvibes

One key thing to point out as you are reading through them... You mentioned a few money issues above. DH & I were in a position with this trip to splurge a little. We spent more money than we should have, decided going in that we were okay with that given all the details in our life at that time. You can definitely enjoy WDW on a more budget-minded trip than we did. As I mentioned, we have been trying to go back. If we do, there will be no concierge level, no waterfront room, and so forth. You really can plan a trip for varying budgets. We decided it was our 10th anniversary and we were going to splurge.

Your question about a car is a great one. We stayed on property and did a WDW only vacation. We had absolutely no need for a car at all at any point in our stay. There is all sorts of transportation to get you to thee various parks and resorts on-site and Magical Express was fabulous for airport transportation. We didn't have a car and never missed not having one.

- Dreams

It is good when one's mind sparks an idea. Sometimes though my mind sparks some kind of riot with words. ;)

We just recently finished our 'Disney til' we puke' vacation this Fall after my husband's 15 month afghanistan deployment. We live in San Antonio and drove two days straight to Cali. Spent three days in San Diego and then went to Paradise Pier for three nights. We had been to WDW twice before and thought it was great...and it is; however, the appeal of DLR is that you park in one place and everything is within walking distance. No need to wait in line for 20 minutes to ride a bus, monorail or ferry to get to another park or your room. Especially when it's late, you are tired and little ones are cranky!!! Well worth just walking across the street or right in the back door of the resort to get to your room at DLR....plan to go there many more times too!!

I love em' both, but I love DCL even better!!!

Sorry! It's been a while. I've been BUSSYYYYY! I am also trying not to think about my trip too much because it's driving me crazy! I was listening to F! yesterday and I started tearing up. :sad1: Pathetic? Probably. But I'm asking the wrong set of people. :laughing::rotfl:

We just recently finished our 'Disney til' we puke' vacation this Fall after my husband's 15 month afghanistan deployment. We live in San Antonio and drove two days straight to Cali. Spent three days in San Diego and then went to Paradise Pier for three nights. We had been to WDW twice before and thought it was great...and it is; however, the appeal of DLR is that you park in one place and everything is within walking distance. No need to wait in line for 20 minutes to ride a bus, monorail or ferry to get to another park or your room. Especially when it's late, you are tired and little ones are cranky!!! Well worth just walking across the street or right in the back door of the resort to get to your room at DLR....plan to go there many more times too!!

I love em' both, but I love DCL even better!!!

Yeah, I do love the fact that DLR is close together and everything is walking distance. I was just thinking about it, but we would have to go for a few more days than we normally would at DLR, to be able to experience it the most. I love CA weather more than FL. I have naturally poofy hair and I wouldn't like the sticky humidity! I remember being there and my hair was a mess the whole time haha. :scared1: And what point do you have to be at Disney until you puke? I don't think I'd ever get tired of it. :cloud9: The crowds maybe, but not DL itself! :love:

It is good when one's mind sparks an idea. Sometimes though my mind sparks some kind of riot with words. ;)

Haha, tell me about it! :goodvibes

No need for a car if you're staying on site. You can use the WDW bus system as well as the monorail and boats.

If you're staying on site and fly in on certain carriers you can use the free "Magical Express" bus from the airport - you check your bags at your local airport with tags provided by Disney and they'll handle the bags all the way to your room.

http://www.mousesavers.com/magicalexpress.html

Good to know! We were hoping to not need a car! :car:

Hope some info in the threads help you - they helped me! :goodvibes

One key thing to point out as you are reading through them... You mentioned a few money issues above. DH & I were in a position with this trip to splurge a little. We spent more money than we should have, decided going in that we were okay with that given all the details in our life at that time. You can definitely enjoy WDW on a more budget-minded trip than we did. As I mentioned, we have been trying to go back. If we do, there will be no concierge level, no waterfront room, and so forth. You really can plan a trip for varying budgets. We decided it was our 10th anniversary and we were going to splurge.

Your question about a car is a great one. We stayed on property and did a WDW only vacation. We had absolutely no need for a car at all at any point in our stay. There is all sorts of transportation to get you to thee various parks and resorts on-site and Magical Express was fabulous for airport transportation. We didn't have a car and never missed not having one.

- Dreams

Yeah, I will definitely refer back to those threads when I start trying to plan it! It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. We would really want to save up a ton of money so we could splurge too. Well we decided not to move until I get out of school for the summer. Taking 7 classes and having a part time job will be enough work for me to be worrying about moving out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter