My mom asked me an interesting question...

Magpie

DIS Veteran
My birthday was a little while ago, and my mom asked me, "How old are you?"

"Um... let me figure it out," I said, and started counting on my fingers, a bit puzzled because she's usually better at knowing my own age than I am.

My mum cut me off. "No, I mean, how old are you really? At what age did you feel most fully yourself? What age are you in your own mind, forever?"

I couldn't figure out how to answer that question! I've always just been whatever age I am, which is really hard to remember sometimes. I'm not very good with calendar math and I occasionally get confused counting up. (Yes, I tutor children in math! :laughing:)

I don't think I've ever felt like an age that I'm not. I've always just been me, here and now. (Though I do sometimes notice that my hair is grayer and my skin more wrinkled than it used to be.)

My mum, on the other hand, apparently still feels like a 25 year old. I'd make jokes about "immaturity" here, but what she really means is that when she was 25 she felt like she was completely herself.

So... are you like my mum? Is there an age at which you felt you were most fully you? Or are you like me, and you're always just whoever you are in whatever moment you're in? Or do you have some other answer to her question?

That's a good question. I have pretty much been "myself" since high school. I'd say that is when I really developed my sense of self. Of course things like marriage and kids have changed me, but more so I feel like it's added to what I already had.

I rarely feel my age. I usually feel much younger. Sometimes that's a blessing... I have no problem keeping up with my kids. Sometimes it's a curse... Like today when I totally butchered the cantaloupe I bought because I had never cut my own before :rotfl:

If that's a thing, I haven't reached it yet but I am happily easing into the "grumpy old man" role. Get off my lawn you damn kids!

23 that was the year that everything just came together and I still feel that age even though it's been many moons.

I was always confused as a kid when people would say "just be yourself". I didn't exactly know who "myself" was, and I was still figuring out how I naturally wanted to act in different situations. Then one day, it was all together and comfortable and I knew exactly who I was.

I've never thought about it like your mom put it, but she's spot on with how I've felt.

I get it. I usually have to 'do the math' to know my age.

I once had a conversation with my mom and grandmother about this and we all felt younger than our real age. Gran died this year at 97- hopefully there's something it.

That's a good question. I have pretty much been "myself" since high school. I'd say that is when I really developed my sense of self. Of course things like marriage and kids have changed me, but more so I feel like it's added to what I already had.

I rarely feel my age. I usually feel much younger. Sometimes that's a blessing... I have no problem keeping up with my kids. Sometimes it's a curse... Like today when I totally butchered the cantaloupe I bought because I had never cut my own before :rotfl:

I always figure, who cares what it looks like, it's all the same when it's in your stomach! :laughing:

TBH, I'm not sure I really know what "feel your age" means. How do people my age generally feel? Do they feel like me? I do know I don't always behave my age, and I'm completely okay with that. ;)

I am currently 44 and I finally felt like my true self at 40. I was very insecure all through high school and college and did a lot of things that I look back on and think, ***? I think once I hit 40 I truly became myself and felt comfortable in my own skin.

In my mind I'm about 30, I was older than my years most of my life and looked younger than I was until about 50. Physically it depends on what time of day it is and what I did the day before. Early morning, I'm about 100, it takes me at least a half hour laying in the bed after I wake up and discussing the fact that I have to get up with my bones and joints to actually make them agree to do so. If I've done a harder than normal workout the day before, my body is around 150. In birthday years, I'm 60.

Oh very intersting question.

I would say that, like you Magpie, I mostly have felt like myself at all ages--at least sicne I was about 16. I have liked all the ages and not felt particulraly like I want to go back to any one, etc. I'm just hte age i am.

Physically is another matter. I find that in my mind's eye I still look like I did at about 35 (9-10 years ago) and am always a little started to see photos and be overweight and have a deep worry line, etc.

24 1/2.

That's when I had my first child. I had always been "motherly" my whole life, and raised several of my siblings from a young age due to our parents' life choices. I always knew I would be most comfortable in my life as a mom, and that still holds true to this day!

I am currently 44 and I finally felt like my true self at 40. I was very insecure all through high school and college and did a lot of things that I look back on and think, ***? I think once I hit 40 I truly became myself and felt comfortable in my own skin.

I was about 33 before I finally figured out me.

I feel about the same now as I did 20 years ago from a mental standpoint, but physically, I feel older than I am.

For decades now I've felt like "I" am a different age than the calendar says I am. For awhile I was 24, then 32, then 36. I'd say I'm maybe 40 now, MAYBE, and don't plan on getting any older. It's weird, but my "self" is totally disconnected from my chronological age. For example... DD is an only child. I had her when I was 37 and she's now 24. You do the math. Anyhow, the other day I was looking at some toddlers in the park and thought, "gee, maybe we should have another baby, I could do that again." Ummm, THAT ship has sailed, awhile ago, yet in my head I was really thinking about having another child!

I still feel myself to be in my 20's - and it's been a long time since I was chronologically. Now my kids are in their 20's, yikes!

Actually, I've started to feel much older than my actual age - consecutive illnesses have worn me to the bone, and I feel like an old woman. I'm trying to shake that fragile feeling, but it's hard when each step forward tosses me back.

Magpie, your mom is astute! What an interesting question to ask, thanks!

I turned 60 this year, and feel no different mentally or physically than I did at 30.

My Doctor however, feels differently, so I am taking medicine to lower my blood pressure and blood sugar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter