My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

Ugh. The spasms are the worst! I’m going to a new PT soon. Maybe they will have a solution. We moved a couple of years ago and I haven’t had PT here, yet. I’m glad you’ve found a way to stop yours. I know if they get too bad, they’ll use Botox or a baclofen pump and I’ve talked to people who’ve had good luck with both of those. Right now, I use a tens unit sometimes when my back is spasming and it helps stop them sometimes. I have mild spasticity in my bicep that the tens unit doesn’t help. Maybe the PT will.

Overall though, I am very blessed and looking forward to the next time we go to Disney. We’re talking about 2022. We usually go once a year, but my DS has some special needs and I’m not sure he would keep a mask on the entire time. Of course, if it’s for Disney, he might. DH & I might be the ones who struggle. LOL

We usually go in September and January (weird schedule, I know LOL) and we are skipping our fall trip this year. We are still hopeful for January, but unless things change significantly, we will cancel that too.

I hate it, for many reasons, but selfishly I hate it most for me. WDW is my respite; it is the one place in the world where I can go, and have fun, and not worry about needing wheels under my butt. When I am there, I sleep through the night, and my pain nearly completely vanishes. I laugh and smile all day, and my family says I am more myself than they see me at any other time. I need less medication, and I move more; my family would gladly move to Orlando tomorrow if my husband could transfer his job so that I could go to WDW regularly. Sadly, it is not possible. And, honestly, I have always been scared - what if WDW only works it's "magic" on me because it's vacation? What if it stopped working if I lived near enough that it because routine? :oops:

The TENS unit used to work for me, but over time it has become basically useless. As long as the the dry needling works, I will stick with it (bad pun, sorry) but my rhuemy has said we still have lots of options if that ever fails to do the trick.

Finding a good PT that was the right "fit" for me was tough - it took time, and I wound up going to a *lot* of different clinics before I found one that was compatible with me. The clinic I have now has a "no more pain" theory that they interpret 2 ways: First, that they want you to not have any more pain, that's the goal. And secondly, they don't want to add *more* pain along the way to reach that goal. I have been to those clinics where "no pain, no gain" is not just a motto; the last one I went to actually did damage me further. I'm so grateful that I found my current PT and that the clinic she is at is so supportive and caring of it's patients.

How old is your DS? I just found these on Amazon today; I think I'm going to try some of them to see if they help with the claustrophobic feeling that I get sometimes from wearing a mask for longer periods. I make our masks from a pattern I developed myself, and I think there should be more than enough room for that device. We'll see!

My DS 38, almost 39. I’ve thought about using those for the masks but didn’t know if they would help.

Ugh September would do me in! It’s so hot. I don’t handle the heat at all (and I live in San Antonio). It triggers MS symptoms.

The PT I had when we lived in west Texas was awesome. I was having issues with balance and falling multiple times a day. He worked with me and was very patient in getting me to where I fall much less often. Unfortunately, he moved not long before I did. The clinic I’m supposed to try here, comes very highly recommended. Hopefully they will help with the neck.

I loved Disney and we have a lot of fun, but the place that makes me feel like me again is the beach - especially Hawaii. I couldn’t afford to live there, but even if I could, I’m like you. I wonder if it would cease to be special.

We’re looking at 2022 for Disney. We just went in Nov 19. I’m hoping by Nov 21 or Jan 22 it will be better and we can feel comfortable going.

How old is your DS? I just found these on Amazon today; I think I'm going to try some of them to see if they help with the claustrophobic feeling that I get sometimes from wearing a mask for longer periods. I make our masks from a pattern I developed myself, and I think there should be more than enough room for that device. We'll see!

I just ordered them. We thought we would try them. :flower1: I will let you know what I think!

So, I said all of that, to say this: Please don't worry - I have every expectation that by the time any of us here need a battery for our chairs that they should be back in stock; this is most likely just a little bump in the road!

Mamma Bunny, I saw that Fold and Go will be at the Abilities Expo in Houston next August. I’ve not been to an Abilities Expo before, but we signed up. Unless something changes between now and August we’ll check them out there.

Mamma Bunny, I saw that Fold and Go will be at the Abilities Expo in Houston next August. I’ve not been to an Abilities Expo before, but we signed up. Unless something changes between now and August we’ll check them out there.

You will love the Abilities Expo.

Abilities Expo hasn't been to Atlanta for years.

They have so many things to see and use.

If you see, Michele, please say hello and give her one hug from me.

She is a dear friend. She is also the Founder and CEO of FOLD & GO Wheelchairs.

Before and if you go, could you look for something for me?

Oh that's so cool! I've never been to one, so it will be interesting to see your review next year!

@RaySharpton I see 👀 you lookin' at that Kia Soul! 😉 Did you know there's a whole marketplace for folks who are selling their used special needs RVs? Kind of interesting, to think that I might still be able to RV it up - in a more budget-friendly fashion!

That looks really cool. I’ll put it on the calendar to check it out. (If I don’t put it on my calendar, I’ll never remember.)

Thank you.

I wasn't sure if I could safely walk out the rear after backing it in the car.

Walking down the ramp with a walker or how much I would have to bend over to walk out, etc.

I also saw a driver transfer seat, but that might be a future issue

Thank you.

Walking down the ramp with a walker or how much I would have to bend over to walk out, etc.

I did a minivan taxi with handicap access a couple of times. From the look of it, I didn’t think I could safely walk down the ramp. Both times the drivers pushed my scooter inside. I wonder about the side entry vans? Would they be easier.

I‘ll snap some photos and see if I think I can manage the ramp after locking a wheelchair in place. I’m 5’7” so that should give you an idea.

Thank you.

Ray, I am not sure (maybe contact that conversion company) but I think that ramp may be intended more for pushing a device up inside, rather than riding it in.

Being as familar as I am with a Kia Soul, there is not going to be adequate headroom to ride a chair into the back, even with the load floor "dropped" to it's lowest possible position. (Which would be the bottom of the spare tire well, which might be low enough, but I don't think it's wide enough without structural modification) Unless they *heavily* modify the car (and with it being a unibody, I would have some concerns about structural integrity, and how that would be addressed) there won't be enough headroom to sit upright in the chair and drive it in.

Addtiionally, you would have to double over in half just to get back out to the ramp.

Now, I could be wrong - if they cut out the load floor, and drop it to the lowest possible level (and possibly move the gas tank, and/or heavily modify the rear wheelbase) then you *might* be able to drive it in; shoot they could maybe even figure a way to get you all the way up to the driver's position. But, that scenario would leave you with *very* little ground clearance, and a very heavily modified vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts