My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

So when taking Disney busses, my wife prefers to transfer rather than use the ramp and use up one of the fold up bench spaces, leaving those open for those who *need* it. we have a regular manual fold-up wheelchair. So she'll board on foot, grab a "regular" seat and we fold up the wheelchair and tuck it either in front of us, or between bench spaces.

is that something you can see as possible with this? Or do you think even folded up it would be too wide to do that?

So when taking Disney busses, my wife prefers to transfer rather than use the ramp and use up one of the fold up bench spaces, leaving those open for those who *need* it. we have a regular manual fold-up wheelchair. So she'll board on foot, grab a "regular" seat and we fold up the wheelchair and tuck it either in front of us, or between bench spaces.

is that something you can see as possible with this? Or do you think even folded up it would be too wide to do that?

Yes, that would be possible.The height with the chair folded is 32 inches tall and 13 inches wide.

Here’s what mine looks like folded up:
2E30058B-D239-456D-A47F-12F72B3D47B6.jpeg66D98D6F-3EFA-42EC-9144-CC79DDD9F8D2.jpeg

And what it looks like unfolded: 8DB9FB63-BC68-4400-9836-C82392910220.jpeg

Please tell your wife not worry about using up those spaces on the bus. Even if she prefers to transfer to a standard bus seat after she boards the bus, it's fine. Most folks who drive an ECV around here do that, day in and day out at WDW - it's the norm, not the exception.

If she really needs the chair (and the fact that you are interested in the Fold and Go says that she does) then she has every right to use that space - as much as anyone else.

I know, however, that a lot of folks worry about other Guests watching or "judging" them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. Here's what she needs to know about that:

I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

I'm always kind of surprised that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be "judging" or staring, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not us. :)

And if anyone *should* make a snippy little remark? Try to remember that people who make remarks like that tend to leap to conclusions - and to also work from a place of ignorance and denial.

At WDW especially, it's like all the boundaries are broken - people who ordinarily would never say something like that suddenly feel like because we have all been standing in line together for the last 23 minutes, it's OK to tell you how to run your life, or parent your kid, or cure what ails you.

I no longer try to "educate" people at WDW - nowadays, I just give them my biggest old smile, and a heartfelt "Bless your heart!" (if you are from the south, you know exactly how much shade I just pitched back at them) and I ignore them thereafter.

They are the ones with the problem - not you, or your DS, or your family. Sometimes, we just have to make like Elsa, and Let It Go... :)

Best. Thread. Ever. Thank you, OP! It’s given me a lot to think about. I only require a cane at home but have to cobble together an assortment of assistance when I’m out and about which means I tend to do less now.

Disney trips end up being cane/wheelchair/ecv. The two parts I’ve come to most dislike these days are needing wheelchair assistance through the airport and rides that require transferring from an ecv (Pirates and haunted mansion, I’m looking at you). It seems like this Fold and Go could smooth out so many problem areas while also offering back a lot of self-sufficiency. Hmmm.

Best. Thread. Ever. Thank you, OP! It’s given me a lot to think about. I only require a cane at home but have to cobble together an assortment of assistance when I’m out and about which means I tend to do less now.

Disney trips end up being cane/wheelchair/ecv. The two parts I’ve come to most dislike these days are needing wheelchair assistance through the airport and rides that require transferring from an ecv (Pirates and haunted mansion, I’m looking at you). It seems like this Fold and Go could smooth out so many problem areas while also offering back a lot of self-sufficiency. Hmmm.

Would Disney allow this type of wheelchair in the lines at Pirates & HM? It’s a powerchair, but not one of those huge gigantic ones that weighs 400 lbs and it can easily be flipped into manual mode and pushed from behind. I’d have to test it out if my mom would ever let me take mine down to Florida...

Would Disney allow this type of wheelchair in the lines at Pirates & HM? It’s a powerchair, but not one of those huge gigantic ones that weighs 400 lbs and it can easily be flipped into manual mode and pushed from behind. I’d have to test it out if my mom would ever let me take mine down to Florida...
In general, power wheelchairs are handled the same as manual wheelchairs because they can turn sharply, manouver well and have a similar ‘footprint ‘ to manual wheelchairs.
The weight of the heavier power wheelchairs is not usually an issue - depends on the total weight of the chlorine plus the user.

Hi, CIN. Thank you. I remember the first time I went from renting an ECV from the WDW parks to renting a mobility scooter from an outside vendor to use at WDW.

It was like a revelation and freedom to go where ever I wanted to go on the WDW property.

I didn't have to leave the WDW ECV at the park and walk to the bus and walk from the bus to my resort room anymore.

I could take the rental mobility scooter anywhere on WDW property using their buses, monorail, boats, sidewalks, etc.

And when I bought my new Fold and Go Wheelchair, I felt the same way.

I could roll my wheelchair through the airport with my suitcase attached to the back with a Carabiner Clip.

Once I checked my luggage, I could use my wheelchair to roll to the gate and even to the plane's door via the jetway.

When I arrived, I could reverse the procedure.

There are more WDW rides that allow wheelchairs like mine unlike using a mobility scooter.

It is easy to fold up and to easy to unfold to save space.

I still can't use it in the for the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, but I will test it again. I could use a manual chair as a walker, but I haven't tried that yet.

I might ask again in December if I can use my wheelchair again at the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.

I think that there is a problem with moving the wheelchair from one side to the exit side. Maybe Sue could help with these questions.

I still use a folding cane that I fold up and hang on my armrest when needed.

Yes, this is what we do. My question was whether this could be done with this fold and go wheelchair...

Hi, xipetotec.

So yes, you can fold it, but it may be a few inches wider placed in front of you on a bus versus a manual wheelchair.

It doesn't fold like a manual wheelchair where you may pull the center of the manual wheelchair up and the left and right side come together. This allows rolling the closed manual wheelchair forward.

My wheelchair closes from front to back instead and the wheels are in a different place than a manual wheelchair. The wheels do not close together like a manual wheelchair.

Front to back open measures 38-inches and closes to only 13-inches.

This is nice, but if I had to pull it closed, I would have to pull it being 24-inches wide.

So you could push a manual wheelchair down the bus aisle with it being only about ~10-inches wide.

If I pull my wheelchair it is about 24-inches wide until I sit down in a bus seat, then I turn it and it is 13-inches in front of me.

And rolling it closed in a constricted aisle my chair is much wider.

@RaySharpton and @xipetotec from the picture above, the chair in a folded state reminds me very much of a folded stroller, a jogger-style stroller (not umbrella stroller). Maybe that visual helps. Not necessarily something I'd try to push down the aisle of the bus, but definitely similar size to something than gets folded to carry onto the bus. It likely is heavier than a stroller, though, so you'd want to consider the weight and who would be carrying it on.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hi, lanejudy. Thank you.

That's right. Like a large stroller. I have seen guest pick up these folded strollers down the bus aisle because they are told to fold them to enter the bus' front door and they may be too wide to roll down closed.

@RaySharpton and @xipetotec from the picture above, the chair in a folded state reminds me very much of a folded stroller, a jogger-style stroller (not umbrella stroller). Maybe that visual helps. Not necessarily something I'd try to push down the aisle of the bus, but definitely similar size to something than gets folded to carry onto the bus. It likely is heavier than a stroller, though, so you'd want to consider the weight and who would be carrying it on.

Enjoy your vacation!

I am still waiting for my wheelchair maker to post their wheelchair lift. I know, I've been waiting a long time. They are still working on it and they haven't posted anything yet.

Since the costs of my WDW stays in December 2019 are costing so much more and the inability to get all of my nights at Pop Century Resort together, I am think about renting an SUV to travel to WDW for my vacations and staying offsite.

I really don't want to do this though.

The one time I rented an SUV to go to the Smoky Mountains I found folding my Fold and Go Wheelchair without removing any parts and loading into the rear of the SUV was a lot better than taking apart my mobility scooter which, for me at this time in my life, is really labor intensive.

When I used to own my own car and drive down to WDW, I would have to remove the seat, both armrests, lift the two batteries, separate the rear wheel/motor section from the front section consisting of the floorboard and steering tiller.

Then I would have to lift each section and place it in the trunk of my car.

When I reached WDW, I had to do the reverse.

I sometimes thought that I couldn't do it and I had to go back in the air-conditioned car and rest.

This was my old 3-wheel Pride REVO mobility scooter.

And these were the separated parts. I didn't have a basket like the newer models, but everything else is the about the same. Back then, this was the only model that had the batteries with a built-in cabinet with handles and no wires to attach. They were built as part of the mobility scooter like the batteries of my fold and go.

I have only rented an SUV once using my Fold and Go Wheelchair and I got lucky with the rental of an SUV with a flat rear entrance door that was level to the rear opening instead of a drop down like you might see in a car trunk.

I own the heavy duty version and I carried a bath towel with me and placed it sideways over the bumper and into the rear SUV area that I was loading into.

I closed the wheelchairs with the wheels facing the rear of the SUV area and up close to the bumper.

My plane was not to lift my wheelchair and put it directly in.

My plan was to lean against the wheelchair and rear of the SUV to lift the wheelchair from the bottom metal area and to get it half of the way up to a tipping point into the SUV.

The towel helped slide my wheelchair up and over the edge.

Once I reached the halfway point, my wheelchair tipped forward and it became much easier.

I still lifted the bottom of my wheelchair and with the wheels on the bottom, I was able to push and roll the wheelchair all of the way into the SUV with the help of the towel and wheelchair wheels.

Then I locked the rear wheels again and just folded the towel into the SUV.

I reversed the process when removing the wheelchair.

I don't like to do it often and that is why I like WDW. I can fly, use DME, and use WDW transportation without me lifting it.

I thought about buying a collapsible ramp, or rather two ramps to roll the closed wheelchair into the rear of a rental SUV.

Since the Fold and Go Wheelchair folds front to back instead of side to side like a manual wheelchair, I can use this advantage of the four wheels to roll it up and into the rear of the SUV.

At least that is my theory.

I am still waiting for the company to come out with a lift that they are designing. I don't know what it will look like or how it will work or much it will cost, but if it is made especially for their wheelchair, I am interested.

Anyway, it is far easier than taking apart a mobility scooter, loading each piece and reversing the process and putting it together again.

My Fold and Go Wheelchair is all one piece. I don't even remove the joystick like I would on an Airline.

This isn't my photo, but this is just about what my heavy duty Fold and Go Wheelchair looks like when it is folded and rolled up to the bumper of an SUV. And I used a towel instead.

I would leave it in freewheel mode.

I would lift it using those cross bars between the two large rear wheels. So I had a good grib on the heavy part at the bar and I would lean against the wheelchair and SUV as I lifted and slid the wheelchair to a space between the front and rear wheels.

For me, this was the tipping point.

Then the front wheels are ready and positioned to roll forward automatically.

Then with less lifting and more pushing until the rear wheels touch the SUV floor until it is inside the SUV.

I lock the freewheels and push any protruding towel around the wheelchair and close the SUV rear door.

I reverse the procedure when I take it out.

I am always looking or Googling different types of ramps to use with a rental car and my wheelchair. I saw a Utube video of an experimental, foldable ramp that is interesting below.

.He appears to be using a wheelchair that is similar to mine because he says that instead of pushing it up the ramp, he used the joystick to roll the wheelchair up. And in the video, it folds up. I saved the video in case they actually start selling them in the future.

I like the design using minimal metal and material.

And it folds into a small package to fit into the SUV or car trunk.

Here is another self-made ramp that is interesting below.

A little bulkier, but it works and he also uses the joystick to drive the wheelchair down the ramp. That way he can control the speed and direction and stop it by letting go of the joystick like the earlier video.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for my wheelchair maker to post their wheelchair lift. I know, I've been waiting a long time. They are still working on it and they haven't posted anything yet.

Since the costs of my WDW stays in December 2019 are costing so much more and the inability to get all of my nights at Pop Century Resort together, I am think about renting an SUV to travel to WDW for my vacations and staying offsite.

I am also thinking of doing an off site stay have you thought about where you would stay. I am looking at Comfort Inn Maingate it is at Comfort Inn Maingate, 7675 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, Kissimmee, FL 34747 and about 1 miles from Disney world. It is $75-80 a night with a $12 resort fee but Hs free hot breakfast and the rooms look nice. Just wondering if you found anything.

I am also thinking of doing an off site stay have you thought about where you would stay. I am looking at Comfort Inn Maingate it is at Comfort Inn Maingate, 7675 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, Kissimmee, FL 34747 and about 1 miles from Disney world. It is $75-80 a night with a $12 resort fee but Hs free hot breakfast and the rooms look nice. Just wondering if you found anything.

I haven't gotten to that point yet since I already have my Pop reservation in December, but I should.

I really dislike having to stay offsite since I like all of the accessibility of WDW transportation.

I haven't gotten to that point yet since I already have my Pop reservation in December, but I should.

I really dislike having to stay offsite since I like all of the accessibility of WDW transportation.
I too do not like staying off site but I can see with the prices going up as they are having to stay off site

@RaySharpton - I saw that homemade ramp video a couple of years ago; the hubs thought about making it, and actually creating a smaller "stage" that my device would rest on, and then you could just slide the ramp under the "stage" for storage, and it wouldn't have to fold (but my device was too tall to do that) - but the new folding metal one you found is *very* interesting! I wish they would do a Kickstarter for that! I would be all in!

I'm like you, and @gap2368 - I don't really want to stay offsite... I love the WDW internal transportation, and our family in particular comes to Orlando to do ONE thing - and that one thing is Disney, so we want to stay onsite! But we just literally found out that guest rooms at the *WALDORF ASTORIA* (not a fancy suite, just a standard hotel room) compare favorably in price to the moderate Resort hotels that are on-property at WDW. And you are at the *WALDORF ASTORIA* for crying out loud! I know that we pay a premium for staying on property, near the Parks, inside "the bubble". And I know that part of that premium price is because of things like theming, transportation, and Disney's CMs (who are, by and large, an amazing group of people). But it's getting to be harder and harder to justify those rates, when (for example) you could get 2 hotel rooms, or a nice multi-room suite offsite that typically gives you a free breakfast as well for less money than 1 night at the new Grand Destino in a standard view room.

LOL don't know if y'all remember the "Knight Bus" from Harry Potter? I think we need a DISbus that goes around the country, picking up homesick DISers, and taking them to/from WDW! LOL

I too do not like staying off site but I can see with the prices going up as they are having to stay off site
@RaySharpton - I saw that homemade ramp video a couple of years ago; the hubs thought about making it, and actually creating a smaller "stage" that my device would rest on, and then you could just slide the ramp under the "stage" for storage, and it wouldn't have to fold (but my device was too tall to do that) - but the new folding metal one you found is *very* interesting! I wish they would do a Kickstarter for that! I would be all in!

I'm like you, and @gap2368 - I don't really want to stay offsite... I love the WDW internal transportation, and our family in particular comes to Orlando to do ONE thing - and that one thing is Disney, so we want to stay onsite! But we just literally found out that guest rooms at the *WALDORF ASTORIA* (not a fancy suite, just a standard hotel room) compare favorably in price to the moderate Resort hotels that are on-property at WDW. And you are at the *WALDORF ASTORIA* for crying out loud! I know that we pay a premium for staying on property, near the Parks, inside "the bubble". And I know that part of that premium price is because of things like theming, transportation, and Disney's CMs (who are, by and large, an amazing group of people). But it's getting to be harder and harder to justify those rates, when (for example) you could get 2 hotel rooms, or a nice multi-room suite offsite that typically gives you a free breakfast as well for less money than 1 night at the new Grand Destino in a standard view room.

LOL don't know if y'all remember the "Knight Bus" from Harry Potter? I think we need a DISbus that goes around the country, picking up homesick DISers, and taking them to/from WDW! LOL

I guess we're both seeing the higher prices at Disney Resorts. I usually stay at Pop Century Resort and I have been checking several times each day just for one night to no availability. Actually, no availability to any value resort. I am getting very frustrated with this. Sometimes I think that Disney is playing with me as I check each day.

I search for value resorts and they insist on showing me some of these resorts...no way Jose.

This is what I see every day, except they are placed at the bottom of the list.

But they also show me these one night stays.

Last edited:
I guess we're both seeing the higher prices at Disney Resorts. I usually stay at Pop Century Resort and I have been checking several times each day just for one night to no availability. Actually, no availability to any value resort. I am getting very frustrated with this. Sometimes I think that Disney is playing with me as I check each day.

I search for value resorts and they insist on showing me some of these resorts...no way Jose.

This is what I see every day, except they are placed at the bottom of the list.

But they also show me these one night stays.

Sometimes we can find availability by shifting our stay a few days in either direction; other times it seems to be the total number of room nights that makes a difference. One thing I will say is this: Because I have to have that HARIS room, I have started just calling in to book through Disney directly, because they can search the entire property for me for that one room *type* and tell me where they find it for the dates that we want. We can sometimes then play around with the dates and length of stay to get into the Resort that we really want to be at.

It doesn't always work, but since the Res Center folks have access to sort those rooms in ways that we can't, it does make it easier to find and book either what we want, or something close enough.

(Also remember to check at the 90, 60 and 30 day mark before you want to travel, because people tend to dump rooms, especially at the 30 day mark when they will have to pay the $200 cancellation fee. If you can travel on short notice, it can actually be shocking what's available 30 days out! It's just like FP+ - We always check *while we are in the Parks* because other guests will drop FPs to go do something else, and we often get those "impossible" FPs while we are right there in front of the ride! Works for ADRs too, LOL. Moral of the story: Never stop checking the Disney website! :)

edited to add this: Remember to periodically sign out of the Disney website, and then clear cookies/cache before signing back in. That way you are seeing the actual current inventory - it forces the website to reload the search results fresh. Also remember that they are doing backside system updates overnight (they historically start about 2 am Orlando time and it can go anywhere from 10 minutes to *hours*) so after that time you may see rooms start to pop up that weren't there just hours before. The prices have gone up so much, just in the last 5 years or so we have had to rework our "standard" budget every time to accommodate higher costs.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but Disney is cutting off their nose to spite their face. All the money I have to spend to stay onsite is money I would have spent on dining or dessert parties or shopping - but increasingly it goes to the hotel and the Parks gates. It becomes more and more difficult to justify as time passes and the increases continue, unabated. Maybe we will just go on a Disney Cruise instead...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter