My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

Thanks Ray, I'll definitely talk with my insurance agent. And I hadn't thought about how easy it is to remove the joystick, that would at least prevent anyone from taking it for a "joyride."

Would like to hear any other thoughts people have to discourage theft. Even if I insure the wheelchair so I can get it replaced if stolen, I'd still have to rent a replacement to cover me for the rest of my trip (and that wouldn't help me on the trip home, where I need it in the airport/connecting airports).

I have a question I don't think I've seen addressed before. Since the Fold & Go doesn't have a key, what can I do to prevent theft of it when I have to park it and leave it, such as at attractions at Disneyland or WDW? I don't know if the chances of theft are very high, but it's still a possibility. It still has to be movable by the CM's as they rearrange/clean up wheelchair and ECV parking, so I know I can't lock it to anything or lock the wheels so it can't be moved. I never thought about it before because I've always rented ECV's and they had keys. But it's different since I'll own this one and can't readily get a replacement if someone steals it.

I’m thinking that this might be the best case scenario.304B5B28-EF3C-468F-BC05-1ECD41B2E617.jpeg

I’m thinking that this might be the best case scenario.View attachment 438820

That's one thing you can try - although I would have concerns about using it at WDW, because if the alarm went off when you weren't around to silence it, I'm not sure what Security might do?

Although I still use my personal ECV, this might apply - Angus is also very lightweight, and could easily just be rolled away (he does, after all, resemble an oversized tricycle LOL)

Whenever I park my device, I disconnect my battery, and tuck the end of the cable out of sight. But the Fold and Go doesn't have that kind of setup.

What if - instead - you just popped the battery out enough for it to disconnect, but not enough to be noticed? I don't know if the Fold and Go can do that, but I have seen other devices with similar battery setups where you could leave the battery in place, but not fully seated, and unless you knew what to look for... it wasn't obvious that the battery wasn't in operating position.

That would certainly stop anyone from getting too far.

And for tracking the chair, you could always hide one of these guys on it somewhere so that you have the Fold and Go version of "Find My Phone"! That way if someone did run off with it, you could track it, and show the police where it was on your phone.

I know I'm probably a bit cavalier about theft at WDW, but considering the sheer numbers of people that pass through there every year, there are remarkably few incidents of theft, especially ECVs and Wheelchairs.

There have been a few times when I have discovered someone sitting on my device, because there was no place to sit, it was handy, and I wasn't around... No, it's NOT cool, but when I asked them to move, they always did, and apologized. The *worst* thing that ever happened to me was I came out of a ride one time to discover that a mother was letting her kids "play" with it/on it. I just told her that other peoples mobility devices are NOT a toy, and if I saw her kids playing with any other devices again I would call security. She scurried away, telling them that I was just a mean old lady. (I bet those little monsters are giving her a hard time now... they are all probably all between puberty and driving age. Ha!)

Thanks to your thread Ray, and all the information shared here, I'm excited to say that I ordered a Fold & Go MagShock today! By the time my research was done and I was ready to order, the purple color was out of stock. After 3-4 weeks it finally came back in stock today. I made sure to put Ray's name down as the referrer. Without this thread I don't think I would have had the courage to even think about getting an electric wheelchair.

I have a question I don't think I've seen addressed before. Since the Fold & Go doesn't have a key, what can I do to prevent theft of it when I have to park it and leave it, such as at attractions at Disneyland or WDW? I don't know if the chances of theft are very high, but it's still a possibility. It still has to be movable by the CM's as they rearrange/clean up wheelchair and ECV parking, so I know I can't lock it to anything or lock the wheels so it can't be moved. I never thought about it before because I've always rented ECV's and they had keys. But it's different since I'll own this one and can't readily get a replacement if someone steals it.

Congratulations! I hope you love your chair as much as I love my turquoise beauty.

Yes, you want it to be moveable by CMs without losing it completely. I can only speak for my experience at Disneyland. At first, I thought I would take the joystick off each time I left to go on rides, but on the (now) older model of the Heavy Duty Fold & Go, while it is easy, unscrewing the knob multiple times per day would be too hard on my wrists. I think I might have read that it is easier to remove on the MagShock model.

From experience of having a high-end model stroller stolen at DL years ago, I can tell you the first question Security will ask you is if your (insert missing object such as stroller, scooter or wheelchair) is marked somewhere with your name. If you do not have some way to prove that particular item does belong to you and not to the person currently in possession of it, Security really can’t / won’t do much to help you. Knowing this, I have marked my name / address / phone number on multiple areas of my chair (including hidden areas). I have a picture of myself in my chair at DL to show as ID if I need to report it missing. I also have a Bluetooth GPS tracker hidden on my chair. I’m using a TrackR Pixma, some people might use a Tile. Both of those use CrowdSource data where my device would ping off of other phones running the app (as the device has a 100 foot range to my phone) and let me know on a map where it was last pinged. I prefer that over a more expensive tracker with a monthly subscription/payment.

I hope these ideas help you.

That's one thing you can try - although I would have concerns about using it at WDW, because if the alarm went off when you weren't around to silence it, I'm not sure what Security might do?

Although I still use my personal ECV, this might apply - Angus is also very lightweight, and could easily just be rolled away (he does, after all, resemble an oversized tricycle LOL)

Whenever I park my device, I disconnect my battery, and tuck the end of the cable out of sight. But the Fold and Go doesn't have that kind of setup.

What if - instead - you just popped the battery out enough for it to disconnect, but not enough to be noticed? I don't know if the Fold and Go can do that, but I have seen other devices with similar battery setups where you could leave the battery in place, but not fully seated, and unless you knew what to look for... it wasn't obvious that the battery wasn't in operating position.

That would certainly stop anyone from getting too far.

And for tracking the chair, you could always hide one of these guys on it somewhere so that you have the Fold and Go version of "Find My Phone"! That way if someone did run off with it, you could track it, and show the police where it was on your phone.

I know I'm probably a bit cavalier about theft at WDW, but considering the sheer numbers of people that pass through there every year, there are remarkably few incidents of theft, especially ECVs and Wheelchairs.

Hm... I like that idea better than mine.

Not to be too off topic but @RaySharpton i
Am glade to see you back online after your accident and posting ( I know you did a few times but they were very short). I hope you are all better and that your trip went well ( I am pretty sure you had a none Disney trip to FL planned) any ways glade to see you posting like you used too

I’ve had the new MagSHOCK now for a little over a month and maybe you all can offer some driving tips. The one thing I hadn’t considered when switching from an ECV to this was how differently it would behave with rear wheel drive. I was always pretty good at parallel parking an ecv but not so much now with the Fold ‘n’ Go and am already worried about getting it properly parked on a bus. Trying to turn and simultaneously back up ends up with the front wheels sometimes flipping around wonky, so that when I try to go forward again it moves in the wrong direction and is difficult to straighten out. It’s been a bit frustrating. And I’ve had poor experience with trying to go acrossed a sidehill - the wheels want to turn downward no matter how much (or little ) I work the joystick. Is this all normal and will I eventually adjust? I’m having trouble envisioning, say, backing into or out of an elevator much less trying to load it properly on a bus.

Admittedly, I haven’t been able to practice as much as I’d like. I live in the country, on a hillside, with a very steep driveway and don’t have the confidence to practice in that area. So I’ve mostly been working with it in the house, thinking if I can get the driving fine-tuned in a small area than I should be okay when there’s more room. Next month I’ll be taking it to a concert and will finally be out around people, and then a week after that we’ll be heading to Epcot (meaning through airport, on buses, and LOTS of people at F&W 😳)

I have lifelong experience on ATVs, so switching to an ECV was a breeze. This, not so much and need some confidence.

I’ve had the new MagSHOCK now for a little over a month and maybe you all can offer some driving tips. The one thing I hadn’t considered when switching from an ECV to this was how differently it would behave with rear wheel drive. I was always pretty good at parallel parking an ecv but not so much now with the Fold ‘n’ Go and am already worried about getting it properly parked on a bus. Trying to turn and simultaneously back up ends up with the front wheels sometimes flipping around wonky, so that when I try to go forward again it moves in the wrong direction and is difficult to straighten out. It’s been a bit frustrating. And I’ve had poor experience with trying to go acrossed a sidehill - the wheels want to turn downward no matter how much (or little ) I work the joystick. Is this all normal and will I eventually adjust? I’m having trouble envisioning, say, backing into or out of an elevator much less trying to load it properly on a bus.

Admittedly, I haven’t been able to practice as much as I’d like. I live in the country, on a hillside, with a very steep driveway and don’t have the confidence to practice in that area. So I’ve mostly been working with it in the house, thinking if I can get the driving fine-tuned in a small area than I should be okay when there’s more room. Next month I’ll be taking it to a concert and will finally be out around people, and then a week after that we’ll be heading to Epcot (meaning through airport, on buses, and LOTS of people at F&W 😳)

I have lifelong experience on ATVs, so switching to an ECV was a breeze. This, not so much and need some confidence.

Shouldn’t be too hard. The main difference between a scooter and a powerchair is that you won’t have a “Nose” on a powerchair so that it’s easier to make those tight turns. Here’s a video that demonstrates how to turn:

The best thing that I can tell you about traversing a sideways hill (Like going across a driveway) is to point the joystick northeast (If it’s uphill) or northwest (if going downhill). Imagine that you’re driving a MUCH SMALLER car.

As for going up a hill, go slow if you’re not completely sure, I’d say at about speed 2-3. NEVER GO AT FULL SPEED!

...From experience of having a high-end model stroller stolen at DL years ago, I can tell you the first question Security will ask you is if your (insert missing object such as stroller, scooter or wheelchair) is marked somewhere with your name. If you do not have some way to prove that particular item does belong to you and not to the person currently in possession of it, Security really can’t / won’t do much to help you. Knowing this, I have marked my name / address / phone number on multiple areas of my chair (including hidden areas). I have a picture of myself in my chair at DL to show as ID if I need to report it missing. I also have a Bluetooth GPS tracker hidden on my chair. I’m using a TrackR Pixma, some people might use a Tile. Both of those use CrowdSource data where my device would ping off of other phones running the app (as the device has a 100 foot range to my phone) and let me know on a map where it was last pinged. I prefer that over a more expensive tracker with a monthly subscription/payment.

I hope these ideas help you.

THIS - This is such good advice. I never thought about it. The only thing I think we should add to this is if your device has a serial number, be sure and keep that in your phone, in a Note or even make a "Contact" for your device that has the serial number; something to record that info in way you can find it easily.

But I certainly agree - All of us who take our personal devices out and about need to put (minimally) our name/cell phone number in several spots (including some hidden ones) in case there is any question of owner identity!

Oh my gosh I’ve never thought to put a tracker somewhere on my chair, but that is such a great idea I am totally doing that! My manual chair has a barcode/serial number on it from the manufacture and can be traced back to me with a call to the company, but a tracker is such a great idea I need to do that as well!

Also, my mom has an Air Hawk power chair which is very similar to the Fold-n-Go and she really enjoys it, she did great with it at WDW this year and we like the ease of getting it into and out of our car.

THIS - This is such good advice. I never thought about it. The only thing I think we should add to this is if your device has a serial number, be sure and keep that in your phone, in a Note or even make a "Contact" for your device that has the serial number; something to record that info in way you can find it easily.

But I certainly agree - All of us who take our personal devices out and about need to put (minimally) our name/cell phone number in several spots (including some hidden ones) in case there is any question of owner identity!

I noticed that there is a large engraved serial number on the push handle on my wheelchair when I took off the soft, velcro grip thing.

I need to take a photo of it and put it on my phone.

I’ve had the new MagSHOCK now for a little over a month and maybe you all can offer some driving tips. The one thing I hadn’t considered when switching from an ECV to this was how differently it would behave with rear wheel drive. I was always pretty good at parallel parking an ecv but not so much now with the Fold ‘n’ Go and am already worried about getting it properly parked on a bus. Trying to turn and simultaneously back up ends up with the front wheels sometimes flipping around wonky, so that when I try to go forward again it moves in the wrong direction and is difficult to straighten out. It’s been a bit frustrating.

Hi, CJN

And I’ve had poor experience with trying to go acrossed a sidehill - the wheels want to turn downward no matter how much (or little ) I work the joystick. Is this all normal and will I eventually adjust? I’m having trouble envisioning, say, backing into or out of an elevator much less trying to load it properly on a bus.

I have this same issue. It was worse on the carpet. I experiened that the front wheel(s) don't like to turn from a stationary position in 180-degrees from going frontwards to backward, etc.

I just slightly turn the joystick to get the front wheels to turn a little bit the I Can go backward.

I still try to parallel park when entering a WDW bus out of habit when I used to parallel park with my old Pride Revo 3-wheel mobility scooter.

It doesn't work as well with my wheelchair.

I tried driving straight on and a little bit toward the left and slowly started turning to the right as I reached the folded bus seat. I'm not very good at it, yet. Then I try to make a harder right turn as my front wheel start turning. My thought process is a wheelchair can turn around in place, unlike a mobility scooter. Once facing toward the front of the bus I try to manipulate my wheelchair closer to the bus wall or folded bench seat.

If my front wheels won't move, I try to slightly turn the joystick to get started moving and the move backward and forward as needed.

Hopefully, I'll discover a better war with a wheelchair and get as good at parking my old scooter. I'll be at WDW this December.

This happens all of the time with me, too, when I drive from a flat surface on a sidewalk to slant in the pavement like on a driveway. The wheelchair wants to go in the direction of the slant. I don't always fight the wheelchair if it is steep, but I do go slow until I turn my joystick to go in the direction of the sidewalk so I don't roll to near or into the street.

Sometimes that transition may be different.

I cross one driveway that was designed to flare the driveway outwards toward the street causing my wheelchair to turn where I don't want to go, which is straight.

Since my wheelchair has an independent motor on each of the two rear wheels, one rear wheel's motor has to use more power to keep going straight which means I need to turn the joystick in the direction I want to go until I am back on the flat sidewalks.

I dislike rolling on poorly designed sidewalks that may slant down toward the street. Then I have to hold my joystick further in a direction other than straight in order that the rear wheels can adjust their power to keep me going straight along with the poorly designed slanted sidewalk.

So when going from a flat area to a slanted area, either go slow and use your joystick to compensate for the transition.

Or for a sidewalk cutoff or ramp to cross the street, I will drive straight onto the cutoff or ramp and then I will turn 90-degrees in place before I roll down the ramp into the street's crosswalk.

Sometimes when I reach the other end of street's sidewalk cutoff or ramp, the ramp either has broken concrete or the pavement was not paved up to meet the sidewalk cutoff or ramp. One time my wheelchair set on the highest power couldn't climb over and onto the sidewalk cutoff or ramp. I had to turn my wheelchair around and my larger rear wheels with their motors were able to climb up and over this flawed section. This also happened to me during a road repaving.

@RaySharpton

Ray, thanks for the specific details. It helps a lot. Clearly it’s going take experiencing some of these situations before figuring out how to handle them. Fortunately I have companions along for these next few trips and they’ll make sure we traverse everything safely. If I can’t figure out how to properly park on the bus I suppose it could be free-wheeled into place. I want that to be a last resort, though, because I do want to be able to do things on my own. Thanks again.

Not to be too off topic but @RaySharpton i
Am glade to see you back online after your accident and posting ( I know you did a few times but they were very short). I hope you are all better and that your trip went well ( I am pretty sure you had a none Disney trip to FL planned) any ways glade to see you posting like you used too

H, gap2368.

Thank you.

I rented a car to drive from Atlanta to Daytona Beach for 2-weeks. Then I drove to Kissimmee for another 2-weeks.

I had to leave Daytona Beach after a week because of a Volusia County Hurricane Evacuation.

The resort was nice to find me another resort to stay at before my last two weeks in Kissimmee.

I did fall down a couple of times. After checking in at Daytona Beach I went to went Walmart for groceries to get that out of the way at 0200. After getting back to SUV with groceries, I lost my balance getting out of their scooter, landed face first, right forearm, etc. A couple of staff got me up. I guess my body was tired. I should have waited until later to shop.

I was okay and ended up with scabs on my forehead, forearm, and knee.

In Kissimmee, I lost my balance in the shower and I severely sprained my dominant left wrist/hand. I didn't think that I would ever get off the bathroom floor only using my right hand and left leg.

I put ice on it and after a couple of days, I was lucky enough to roll to a nearby Walmart to get medicine, medical supplies, etc.

I felt awful a didn't use the resort's WDW shuttle even though I kept making reservations each day to go.

I wasn't sure about driving home, but with help from staff loading my wheelchair, luggage, it wasn't as bad as thought driving home using my right hand.

It is better, but I can't even lift a t-shirt with my wrist support.

And it takes forever to do common tasks like typing with one hand, but I am better.

I might cancel my October Fall Smoky Mountain trip since can't lift my wheelchair into a rental car with one hand.

Can you say pity party for me...ha...ha...ha.

@RaySharpton

Ray, thanks for the specific details. It helps a lot. Clearly it’s going take experiencing some of these situations before figuring out how to handle them. Fortunately I have companions along for these next few trips and they’ll make sure we traverse everything safely. If I can’t figure out how to properly park on the bus I suppose it could be free-wheeled into place. I want that to be a last resort, though, because I do want to be able to do things on my own. Thanks again.

I think that you will do great.

Reactions: CJN
@RaySharpton

Yeah, the chair does have a freewheel mode. Just turn off the joystick and flip the two red handles near the rear wheels forward.

Reactions: CJN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter