My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

So tempted to rent one of these and see if it would be a good long-term fit. After being physically MISERABLE during our last trip and diagnosed with a chronic illness last month, I need to find something for mobility. I can't get over how these can fit into the trunk of my car. My family loves amusement parks and I'm sick of them having to leave early because I get sick from walking!

Hi, NotTheBatesMotel. It is amazing they designed a wheelchair so powerful to take my 350-lb body up a very steep hill and to weigh so little compared to heavy-duty mobility scooters, and to fold to fit in a space like a rental SUV.

I have a preference for a rental SUV because the back area is flat, unlike a car trunk. When folded, all four wheels touch the floor and instead of lifting into a trunk, once I deadlift it halfway up, it tilts into the SUV and then becomes easier to roll it the rest of the way in.

I had to cancel my Smokey Mountain vacation because I fell down hard on my dominant left hand and I didn't think I could enjoy myself with my greatly decreased ability to perform my daily activities of living.

Even though I am flying to WDW on 12/01/2019, I still have less than 3-weeks to decide if I need to cancel this trip also.

I would call them and to see how they could help you in your decision making.

I rented one before buying, too. Best Wishes in your decision.

They do have rentals for the Regular (All rented out currently), HD (Now available, although since they’re discontinuing this model, don’t expect it to last long) and the MAGshock (Not available for rent until early 2020.) Here are your rental options and what you need to do:View attachment 452044View attachment 452045View attachment 452046

Hi Groot. They do rent out fast.

Fold & Go announced a giveaway on their Facebook page today. All you have to do is like their page. On Friday November 22 they will give a free Pearl-colored MagShock wheelchair to one of the people who like their page (via random selection).

Hi, bluecruiser. I saw that on Facebook, too. I have seen those giveaways by them before. Some lucky person may get one.

FOLD & GO Wheelchairs
12 hrs ·
We are GIVING AWAY a Pearl colored MagSHOCK WeatherPROOF Wheelchair on Friday, November 22, 2019.
Here's How to Enter for our FREE Pearl Giveaway:
**Just Click to LIKE our FOLD & GO Page**
On Friday, November 22nd, we will randomly select one person to receive our WeatherPROOF MagSHOCK Pearl. WINNER must have LIKED our Page - We will pull from all the people that have liked our page from past giveaways also! This is your chance to get a FOLD & GO at NO COST TO YOU!
This is a Worldwide Giveaway - We will pay for Shipping, Duties, Taxes and Fees!

75258505_3050045241678071_2577888810427744256_o.jpg
75567305_3050045028344759_69947927576969216_o.jpg

This thread made me remember something I saw last week in Epcot.
There was a group of 3 or 4 people near France and one of the women was pushing a folded power wheelchair or ECV. It was about the size of a medium to a large suitcase. Not sure why it was being pushed instead of driven.

I wonder why, too. Maybe the owner ran out of power or the person just couldn't use the joystick for some reason.

@SueM in MN they were probably conserving the battery.
Hi, NotTheBatesMotel. It is amazing they designed a wheelchair so powerful to take my 350-lb body up a very steep hill and to weigh so little compared to heavy-duty mobility scooters, and to fold to fit in a space like a rental SUV.

I have a preference for a rental SUV because the back area is flat, unlike a car trunk. When folded, all four wheels touch the floor and instead of lifting into a trunk, once I deadlift it halfway up, it tilts into the SUV and then becomes easier to roll it the rest of the way in.

I had to cancel my Smokey Mountain vacation because I fell down hard on my dominant left hand and I didn't think I could enjoy myself with my greatly decreased ability to perform my daily activities of living.

Even though I am flying to WDW on 12/01/2019, I still have less than 3-weeks to decide if I need to cancel this trip also.

I would call them and to see how they could help you in your decision making.

I rented one before buying, too. Best Wishes in your decision.

Hi Groot. They do rent out fast.

Hi, bluecruiser. I saw that on Facebook, too. I have seen those giveaways by them before. Some lucky person may get one.

75258505_3050045241678071_2577888810427744256_o.jpg
75567305_3050045028344759_69947927576969216_o.jpg

I wonder why, too. Maybe the owner ran out of power or the person just couldn't use the joystick for some reason.
It was weird that it was all folded up.
I don’t know how hard it would be to push it unfolded, but it seems to me that it would be easier to not fold it if it would be pushed long distances.

Fold & Go announced a giveaway on their Facebook page today. All you have to do is like their page. On Friday November 22 they will give a free Pearl-colored MagShock wheelchair to one of the people who like their page (via random selection).

That's almost tempting enough to get me to sign up for Facebook. Almost...

I have a question I’d like answered from a Fold and Go user. First, I use a manual wheelchair, and occasionally I’ve been caught in the rain. No problem for the manual. I’ll be getting a Fold and Go before the end of the year. I’ve read that the Fold and Go can be rained on and go through puddles and snow, but I find that hard to believe. So I’m asking someone with personal experience - have you had your chair get soaked, and did you have any problems afterward? Did you have to let your chair dry out for a day or two before using it? I realize that I have to keep the joystick protected from the weather.

We are going to a trade show in Dallas in a couple weeks to look, try, and hopefully buy. Fold and Go will be there and I hope they have my color. I’d like yellow, but I don’t think the MagShock comes in yellow, so I’ll have to see what they have available at the show.

Thank you.

Hi, MidWax

I have a question I’d like answered from a Fold and Go user. First, I use a manual wheelchair, and occasionally I’ve been caught in the rain. No problem with the manual. I’ll be getting a Fold and Go before the end of the year. I’ve read that the Fold and Go can be rained on and go through puddles and snow, but I find that hard to believe. So I’m asking someone with personal experience - have you had your chair get soaked, and did you have any problems afterward?

I have driven mine in the rain with an umbrella, in a heavy downpour at Walt Disney World and got undercover on a porch at Magic Kingdom's Liberty Tree Tavern. Even undercover, the rain came down so hard it came in sideways before the afternoon parade. I got soaked and I guess my wheelchair did, too. My umbrella turned inside out. It gets wet, but from I didn't have any issues.

I guess I was more upset about my shoes and pants and shirt were soaked. But I didn't think about my wheelchair not working again.

It just started up right away and off I went. I did use my hand to wipe the water off of the joystick which is waterproof.

FtGYsOSnJxco-XNjSQUHotGP1ylODGbK62PNwAD3H7XPOFZdAY1DTAfJs7-LXOh-rpkKwOoZ0jqag77TU2U1N3QEfEAHMGUxspSuhXcHAvAjIPItwX_Ly81wxQUZb1gGCz4pcQ4LYq0M7hGkiE7XCnZBI31CXYljd94zyN0vgv5-BtSfEwqMAlqghGzeBVVy2h-nm_c3HycFQxF7fNbFo3lfpi_ey3c7bmzBJbAgu-lkGkTpnsAUrFOKzaJVAmQdJ3yulBY3w8H-rId2C2qvKHt-89ZOJaswovi0GbNv2bge4MO-6jxHYRJJ2O7iIz7ldHetoCAVfD7u-g_pnieln0SQ18Uzh05SiUvz56EuKa4Nw74OQFfwrqnjjgJKPla-pSlkP9o8wRvXChtVPQGdqjIBPgPPN3NpHBmgUeXubaibkfKsVKrT_j1eLQ1MY4QJXmsjlOUAL6trZgAuQKymNp4tukUjajve0kjc8Nnt0dzzn31R0M0pSuK0KflaHPLEvtfs6ApHnn_fKVkWtJ1MhrKG6lrAGcaHPTEPeHPU1mj1uvCabZrlN2MDLApZ--Nbbdxu9lF4bj_wVXN-czgiM51PmamY4GAGp9A0FqtgWuRikmzWw946lqyLlVwm543mHkX44JoaakkXa4qd382en5UBHRS1nEBEF7VlwzBWcCUlT5qtxCLILg=w1179-h663-no

The seat did not get as wet as the backrest, but it seemed to be waterproof because when I got back to my resort to change clothes, I checked it and unzipped the mesh waterproof cover and the foam inside was dry.

The outside rubber cover has a mesh covering that collects water and I just tried to shake the water off and then I used towels to dry it completely.

I guess I didn't have to do that since it was waterproof, but I just wanted to check it out.

The batteries are enclosed and built into the frame and didn't get wet at all.

The motors were both enclosed on each rear wheel and all the wiring was waterproof, too.

Did you have to let your chair dry out for a day or two before using it? I realize that I have to keep the joystick protected from the weather.

Not at all. One day I had to wash the seat cover because of an accident from waiting too long and being stuck on the Magic Kingdom train. I stuck the seat cover in the washer and driver and it was ready to go.

We are going to a trade show in Dallas in a couple of weeks to look, try, and hopefully buy. Fold and Go will be there and I hope they have my color. I’d like yellow, but I don’t think the MagShock comes in yellow, so I’ll have to see what they have available at the show.

Thank you.

I just looked on their website and I didn't see the color yellow either.

Best of luck.

If you buy one could you mention my name Ray Sharpton.

I was already planning on mentioning your name. 🙂. Your posts have been a great help. Thank you so much.

Thank you. Have you called the web page to see if they are going to make a yellow one? You never know.

I'll be at WDW next week. It will be a little different for me since I broke my left wrist in September. I thought it was a bad sprain, but after four weeks the physician said it was a broken and he didn't want to rebreak it until after physical therapy.

It really is a pain for me not being able to use my dominant left hand to do simple things like bathing and dressing and using my walking cane and opening doorknobs. I thought that I would have adapted by now using my right hand for everything. I guess with my bad right leg I am even more vulnerable to falling. I find it very difficult to walk with my cane now and even with a brace, I still can use my left hand and cane which I am used to using when walking when not in my wheelchair. I guess since I have a tendency to fall, using my left hand with my cane gave me more balance security. The physical therapist said my left cane hand and left leg created better stabilization since I cut lock my right leg when walking.

Sorry for my rambling. I will be traveling alone and I live alone and I have been thinking a lot about this since I leave for WDW this Sunday.

I was thinking about cancelling my trip, but I don't want too.

But this is my best vacation every December.

Thank you. Have you called the web page to see if they are going to make a yellow one? You never know.

I'll be at WDW next week. It will be a little different for me since I broke my left wrist in September. I thought it was a bad sprain, but after four weeks the physician said it was a broken and he didn't want to rebreak it until after physical therapy.

It really is a pain for me not being able to use my dominant left hand to do simple things like bathing and dressing and using my walking cane and opening doorknobs. I thought that I would have adapted by now using my right hand for everything. I guess with my bad right leg I am even more vulnerable to falling. I find it very difficult to walk with my cane now and even with a brace, I still can use my left hand and cane which I am used to using when walking when not in my wheelchair. I guess since I have a tendency to fall, using my left hand with my cane gave me more balance security. The physical therapist said my left cane hand and left leg created better stabilization since I cut lock my right leg when walking.

Sorry for my rambling. I will be traveling alone and I live alone and I have been thinking a lot about this since I leave for WDW this Sunday.

I was thinking about cancelling my trip, but I don't want too.

But this is my best vacation every December.

Ray, can you grip at all with your left hand? If so, would a walker work better than your cane? It would provide a lot more stability and could be attached to the back of the power chair. At any rate I do admire how much traveling you do solo. I’m still at the stage of wanting someone along for security.

I have a question I’d like answered from a Fold and Go user. First, I use a manual wheelchair, and occasionally I’ve been caught in the rain. No problem for the manual. I’ll be getting a Fold and Go before the end of the year. I’ve read that the Fold and Go can be rained on and go through puddles and snow, but I find that hard to believe. So I’m asking someone with personal experience - have you had your chair get soaked, and did you have any problems afterward? Did you have to let your chair dry out for a day or two before using it? I realize that I have to keep the joystick protected from the weather.

We are going to a trade show in Dallas in a couple weeks to look, try, and hopefully buy. Fold and Go will be there and I hope they have my color. I’d like yellow, but I don’t think the MagShock comes in yellow, so I’ll have to see what they have available at the show.

Thank you.

I think you will be fine, because @RaySharpton said so! 🙂 but if you are super-worried, you could buy this: Waterproof power wheelchair arm joystick cover

Hi, CJN.

I tried, but I still can't put any weight on my left hand and wrist. I try not to put weight on it using my walker, but when I do, the shock of the sharp pain makes me move in a way that I fell like I am going to fall down. I never had a cast and I still use a brace.

I know what you mean about traveling solo. I hope you can soon.

Ray, can you grip at all with your left hand? If so, would a walker work better than your cane? It would provide a lot more stability and could be attached to the back of the power chair. At any rate I do admire how much traveling you do solo. I’m still at the stage of wanting someone along for security.

I think I'm ready for my first trip using my Fold & Go MagShock next week to Disneyland.
  1. Insurance coverage added.
  2. Tile installed for tracking and confirmed working via the Tile app.
  3. Serial number recorded on my cell phone (picture). On the MagShock the serial number is underneath the CPU, below the chair. Easiest way to find it is to fold the chair and turn it on its side. The serial number is in larger font so it's easier to read.
  4. Name and cell number on chair.
  5. Contacted airline and gave them info they requested so it's on all my flights. Printed copies of the MSDS (material safety data sheet) provided by the manufacturer in case of questions at the airport.
  6. Made sure transportation to airport has enough space for both my suitcase and wheelchair.
  7. Did a lot of practice driving at home, grocery stores, and mall. As others have said, it's very different driving an electric wheelchair when you're used to an ECV.
  8. Have headlights, tail lights, airline cover, and travel bag with mesh cup holders that hangs on the back of the chair.
  9. Bringing 2 rain ponchos (one for me and one for the WC when I have to leave it outside an attraction). Although the chair is weatherproof, I don't relish the idea of sitting on a wet seat cushion.
I'm very much looking forward to this trip since I'm staying on Disneyland property and won't have any shuttles, etc. to worry about (except for the Monorail, and that's an attraction, not needed transportation at Disneyland).

Last edited:
This is so very cool, bluecruiser.

I am going to keep your tips to help me get organized like you are doing.

My serial number on my wheelchair is underneath the soft velcro cover on the push rail of the back rest.

I have never been to Disneyland and I hope to someday. Especially in December to see all of the Christmas lights as I do at Walt Disney World.

I hope you have a wonderful time and you get to do and see everything you want to.

Maybe you could take some interesting photos of any handicap areas that may be of interest when using your Fold & Go MagShock at Disneyland.

Next year, I might add a Disney Merriest Cruise before my WDW December trip.

But then again, I may try to go to Disneyland.

I hope you have a wonderful time and a great trip.

Ray

I think I'm ready for my first trip using my Fold & Go MagShock next week to Disneyland.
  1. Insurance coverage added.
  2. Tile installed for tracking and confirmed working via the Tile app.
  3. Serial number recorded on my cell phone (picture). On the MagShock the serial number is underneath the CPU, below the chair. Easiest way to find it is to fold the chair and turn it on its side. The serial number is in larger font so it's easier to read.
  4. Name and cell number on chair.
  5. Contacted airline and gave them info they requested so it's on all my flights. Printed copies of the MSDS (material safety data sheet) provided by the manufacturer in case of questions at the airport.
  6. Made sure transportation to airport has enough space for both my suitcase and wheelchair.
  7. Did a lot of practice driving at home, grocery stores, and mall. As others have said, it's very different driving an electric wheelchair when you're used to an ECV.
  8. Have headlights, tail lights, airline cover, and travel bag with mesh cup holders that hangs on the back of the chair.
  9. Bringing 2 rain ponchos (one for me and one for the WC when I have to leave it outside an attraction). Although the chair is weatherproof, I don't relish the idea of sitting on a wet seat cushion.
I'm very much looking forward to this trip since I'm staying on Disneyland property and won't have any shuttles, etc. to worry about (except for the Monorail, and that's an attraction, not needed transportation at Disneyland).

I'm trying to get ready for my annual WDW trip tonight organizing what to go in my suitcase, backpack, etc.

It is supposed to rain hard when I need to be outside to go from my apartment to the MARTA train.

I am having a hard time holding my umbrella with my broken wrist and using my joystick with my right hand.

I have been using my left hand with the broken wrist to reach over and use the joystick will using my right hand to open doors, etc.

It should be interesting when I leave for the airport Sunday morning.

The physician this week said it may take up to two years for me to heal my left wrist. I hate that because I can't put pressure down on it when I use my cane or walker when I walk at home.

It seems my bones are healing slowly.

He said if I hadn't waited so long to see him before the bones started healing, he might have operated.

Now he says after the bones are fully healed, he might operate on my tendons that go from my hand up to my lower arm to help me rotate my wrist and to use my cane with my left hand again and to use my walker with both hands.

Then he might operate on my arm and shorten the bone since my radius bone that jammed into my wrist bones and pushed my ulna bone to the left and into my wrist bones.

I almost canceled this vacation.

I don't know how well I can balance myself just using my right hand. I hope that I can still ride some of the attractions that I want to ride when I have to use my cane.

I really feel uncomfortable feeling unsteady when using the cane in my right hand with a disfunctional right leg and unable to grab anything with my left hand for support.

But, I am very grateful.

I have both arms and legs and I can walk.

I'll be writing a report when I can and taking more photos.

I'll try and update some of the photos at my Disney Pop Century Resort roll-in shower room, too.

I'll also try and get measurements and photos of the two other resorts that I will be staying in too at Disney CSR Gran Destino Tower and Boardwalk Villas roll-in shower using my wheelchair.

Ray, take it slow and enjoy what you can. Knowing you from your many posts here, you'll be back at WDW in the future, so don't feel you have to push yourself on this trip.

Enjoy the time you have in the resorts, I know I'll be looking forward to reading about your experiences in a trip report. You always post such useful information!

I'll try to remember to take pictures on my trip as well. I'm not always good about taking a lot of pictures and making notes, but I'll try to capture some useful accessibility information on my trip.

Ray:

If you had more time before your trip, I would suggest you get a Brella Bag. Works pretty well; I like mine.

http://brellabag.com/
Might you be able to use the concept and jury-rig something for this trip ? An inexpensive bag (simple basic purse) from Walmart could be made to work.

SW

Ray:

If you had more time before your trip, I would suggest you get a Brella Bag. Works pretty well; I like mine.

http://brellabag.com/
Might you be able to use the concept and jury-rig something for this trip ? An inexpensive bag (simple basic purse) from Walmart could be made to work.

SW

@Starwind - I just tried to go to Brellabags website and it's down ☹

@RaySharpton - I searched Amazon for "Hands free umbrella" and got some... interesting results! But there are things there that might work for you. I personally have a "Sport-Brella" that I like OK (purchased it for WDW, but never use it because it just gets in the way and irritates me! LOL) that clamps on to my handlebars.

If it's going to be windy + rainy, it may not matter much...

Do you have a rain poncho that you take to the Parks? That would keep you and your chair dry - just make sure you put the back of the poncho *over* the back of your chair to help keep rain from falling down between your upper back and the top of the seat back.

Hi, Starwind. I'll check that out later this morning.

@Starwind - I just tried to go to Brellabags website and it's down ☹

@RaySharpton - I searched Amazon for "Hands free umbrella" and got some... interesting results! But there are things there that might work for you. I personally have a "Sport-Brella" that I like OK (purchased it for WDW, but never use it because it just gets in the way and irritates me! LOL) that clamps on to my handlebars.

If it's going to be windy + rainy, it may not matter much...

Do you have a rain poncho that you take to the Parks? That would keep you and your chair dry - just make sure you put the back of the poncho *over* the back of your chair to help keep rain from falling down between your upper back and the top of the seat back.

Hi, mamabunny. I'll check that out later this morning. And I do have a heavier duty wheelchair poncho and I may have to use that.

I usually roll my luggage beside me with my left hand. I might have to attach it to the back of my chair with a carabiner. But that is where I usually carry my backpack. I might have to see if I can piggyback both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter