My Poly, CCV and BLT purchase decision. Thanks,

harbourxie

Earning My Ears
If you read my previous post, you will know I am trying to decide between Poly direct at $220 and CCV direct at $182. Ironically, my guide told me that my wait-list on BLT for 125 points was cleared as well. Now, instead of choosing between two, I got 3 options. Here is a summary of the 3 options:

1. CCV at $182. I can get either only 75 points or go for a guaranteed week in a studio around Thanksgivings for 118 points.
2. Poly at $220. Only 75 points available and I don't think I want more than that at $220 either. (too expensive and I can buy resale if need more)
3. BLT at $191. I wait-listed for 125 points, but hopefully, DVC will agree to sell me only 75 points.

* buying without seeing
I have been to WDW once but have never stayed or visited any DVC. In another words, I am buying based on my research only without seeing the real thing. My daughter is 3 and son is 8, I don't want to wait any longer to get into DVC. So I am willing to buy remotely. Plus, if I wait another half year, the price will be higher. It is only about 75 points so I won't make too big a mistake.

* buying direct
Also, I want to buy at least 75 pts direct to get the extra benefits. For my family of 4, the gold pass will easily save us $1000+ per year. If we only buy it for 3 years, it is still $3k to $4k savings. Plus, we know we will purchase the PhotoPass for sure. If we go to WDW 2 times a year for those 3 years, we will save another $169 x 6 = $1014. Let's assume I will get another $1000 savings from other benefits: dinning, shopping, parking, magic express, etc. In summary, my saving is at least $5000. $5000 / 75 = $67 per point saving. So the savings per point for me make it a reasonable decision for buying 75 pts direct.

* Poly is out
Poly is too expensive at $220 and requires too many points to stay. Although it is beautiful, but I rather save the money for a real hawaii trip. Here is the math: (direct $220 - resale $170) X 75 pts = $3750, it is about 7 nights in a 4.5 star resort in Maui and I am sure Maui is more beautiful than Poly. Not to mention that I will get daily service in Maui.

* CCV or BLT?
I can go with either one but I do think BLT wins slightly. Here are the reasons:
1. BLT offers the best location in WDW. You may argue BWV/BCV have great location as well. But I do think BWV/BCV can be somehow replaced by Swan/Dolphin, which is much cheaper and also within walking distance to EPCOT. So BLT has the best location. Since we will go to WDW around Thanksgivings and Spring Break, I think this convenient location brings more value.
2. Top Of The World Lounge is conveniently located at BLT. Although the studio at BLT is as small as CCV, we can always stretch out in TOTWL for more space.
3. BLT is more Disney than CCV. Staying at BLT, I know I am in Disney. I will see that the monorail is right there, the castle is right there, the firework is right there, the music is right there. The theme at BLT is not so Disney but you know you are at Disney when you are at BLT. CCV will be a different vibe. It is really quiet and beautiful, but not so Disney.
4. The most important part is the financial perspective.
a. Cheaper due at BLT ($5.92 per pt). CCV is at $7.26 as a new resort. The difference is very big.
b. BLT might be able to retain both its rental value and resale better than CCV. BRV is among the DVC with lowest resale value. BRV is better than OKW, but much lower than BCV and BWV. BTW, all 4 of the DVC expire in 24 years. If BRV is comparable to CCV, then it is reasonable to assume CCV won't appreciate well either. Plus, some people even think that Wilderness Lodge is not popular enough and that's why Disney makes half of it CCV. I can definitely see the charms of CCV during holiday season. However, if I can potentially make more money or save more money by buying BLT, I can rent points to stay at CCV.
c. I know BLT has only 42 years left and this might be the only downside for BLT financially.

I know I will probably be happy purchasing either CCV or BLT. But since I did not visit either I focus my decision making on the financial part.

What will you do? Thanks a lot,

Last edited:
We own at BLT and like it for many of the reasons you list. We stayed at CCV last trip and thought it was great, but BLT is more convenient with lower MF's (which cost seems to be your #1 focus). While I like CCV and Wilderness Lodge in general if everything was equal I'd still choose BLT.

That said, i do wonder how plan to do 2 trips a year with only 75 points. If you are calculating your points needed based on BLT standard studio costs, I'd be careful. Those can be tough to get. I'd buy enough points to be able to book your desired numbered nights based on the lake view. If you snag a standard you can always add a day to the current or future trips. But going in and hoping to book 3 nights and only having enough points for 2 would stink.

If you go with CCV and plan to travel between Thanksgiving and NYE I would strongly consider the fixed week option they talked about. That resort is amazing with the holiday decorations and is a very in-demand time to stay there. I think the fact DVC allows the initial buy ins to be so small now, coupled with 50pt minimum current member addons, the demand for studios at CCV during NOV to Jan is going to be crazy. It already is at Boulder Ridge, but I think it will be worse at CCV. Once it's completely sold out, I wouln't be surprised to see threads about members being shut out of studios at 11 months for December. I hope I'm wrong for all those who buy there.

Whatever you decide, good luck. If there's anyway for you to make a quick trip down and check both out before buying I would. You will be spending a lot of money on both initial cost and subsequent vacations. I'd hate for you to get a few years in and realize you wish you'd picked another resort.

We own at BLT and like it for many of the reasons you list. We stayed at CCV last trip and thought it was great, but BLT is more convenient with lower MF's (which cost seems to be your #1 focus). While I like CCV and Wilderness Lodge in general if everything was equal I'd still choose BLT.

That said, i do wonder how plan to do 2 trips a year with only 75 points. If you are calculating your points needed based on BLT standard studio costs, I'd be careful. Those can be tough to get. I'd buy enough points to be able to book your desired numbered nights based on the lake view. If you snag a standard you can always add a day to the current or future trips. But going in and hoping to book 3 nights and only having enough points for 2 would stink.

If you go with CCV and plan to travel between Thanksgiving and NYE I would strongly consider the fixed week option they talked about. That resort is amazing with the holiday decorations and is a very in-demand time to stay there. I think the fact DVC allows the initial buy ins to be so small now, coupled with 50pt minimum current member addons, the demand for studios at CCV during NOV to Jan is going to be crazy. It already is at Boulder Ridge, but I think it will be worse at CCV. Once it's completely sold out, I wouln't be surprised to see threads about members being shut out of studios at 11 months for December. I hope I'm wrong for all those who buy there.

Whatever you decide, good luck. If there's anyway for you to make a quick trip down and check both out before buying I would. You will be spending a lot of money on both initial cost and subsequent vacations. I'd hate for you to get a few years in and realize you wish you'd picked another resort.
I have booked 8 nights at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress for this year Thanksgiving so I will be able to see the DVC in person and decide where I would like to buy thru resale. I plan to swap a couple of Hyatt nights to DVC for the trip to experience it for the whole family. Since I am using points for a couple nights, I should have over 100 points for the spring break 2019 and hopefully I have bought more resale point by then. And swan dolphin can always
be my backup plan.

It all depends on you, if you don't care where you stay and you are willing to live with your best guess without having the experience of trying before you buy then just do it.

For us the resort is more important than the parks so the resort matters. We made mistakes when buying but we did so when the prices were lower and the resorts that we own but don't visit are in our rental pool.

:earsboy: Bill

Oh, you are going to want to stay at the Lodge for Thanksgiving. Trust me.
That's why I will probably be equally happy with either one. My wife likes Poly more and son likes BLT. I guess my 3 year old daughter will like BLT more for its view of MK.

For all the reasons you quoted, BLT is the clear choice. My wife and I made the same decision to buy at BLT (although we bought most of our pounts resale) for pretty much the same reasons.

BLT may be a clear choice for some but as I often post, we own there and just don't care for the place. In addition consider a MK resort and an Epcot/DHS resort. We seldom travel from park to park anymore and book a resort that is close to the park selected for that vacation. Doesn't make sense to pay these high prices for a vacation and to spend your time traveling across property or waiting in lines.

:earsboy: Bill

That's why I will probably be equally happy with either one. My wife likes Poly more and son likes BLT. I guess my 3 year old daughter will like BLT more for its view of MK.

75 points isn’t going I get you much of a stay booking theme park view.

And as a family of 4 why are you focusing on studios? We’re a family of three and have only stayed in a studio at OKW. I’ve stayed at bay lake (we own there but hubby and son haven’t yet been there) with one other adult and were falling all over each other.

I’m not anti buying unseen. We bought bay lake having never been to Orlando before. But I think you’re overestimating the size of bay lake studios, the trip you can have with a theme park view room and the intended 75 points, and your potential use of totwl to “stretch out in”.

75 points isn’t going I get you much of a stay booking theme park view.

And as a family of 4 why are you focusing on studios? We’re a family of three and have only stayed in a studio at OKW. I’ve stayed at bay lake (we own there but hubby and son haven’t yet been there) with one other adult and were falling all over each other.

I’m not anti buying unseen. We bought bay lake having never been to Orlando before. But I think you’re overestimating the size of bay lake studios, the trip you can have with a theme park view room and the intended 75 points, and your potential use of totwl to “stretch out in”.
great point!

We own at BLT and LOVE IT! However I would not recommend buying there if you plan to stay in studios as a family of 4. The studios feel very small to us. We pretty much only book 1br and 2 br villas so that’s why BLT is such a good fit for us.

I haven’t stayed in the studios at poly but I would buy there for studios.

Last edited:
I do not think you can always “ stretch out in TOTW Lounge for more space.” That’s not what the Lounge is about, it has limited hours. However, my grandchildren enjoyed the community room. I think the pool is small for the size of the resort. I like the pools at WL more.

I own at BLT primarily for access to that Lounge for the black out dates around July 4 and Dec 31. I can not always get standard view, this December 29, 30 we are in the lake view 2 bedroom. Would have liked to save the points, but lost out.

BLT owner and agree with others. Don't always plan on Standard view. Studios are small but doable. The one-bedroom seems massive compared to the studios. We love the location. TOWL is a nice treat but this is not a "lounge" in many senses. It is more of an upscale bar with an adult feel. I would buy 75 direct from Disney and buy resale for more points.

I would go with BLT and get all 125 points that came through on your wait list (if your budget allows). The difference in price between the two right now will quickly be eaten up in the difference in maintenance fees.

I actually really like the BLT/Contemporary area at Christmas. While I don't think it is as good as Wilderness Lodge, it still has some nice decorations.

Good luck!

* buying direct
Also, I want to buy at least 75 pts direct to get the extra benefits. For my family of 4, the gold pass will easily save us $1000+ per year. If we only buy it for 3 years, it is still $3k to $4k savings. Plus, we know we will purchase the PhotoPass for sure. If we go to WDW 2 times a year for those 3 years, we will save another $169 x 6 = $1014. Let's assume I will get another $1000 savings from other benefits: dinning, shopping, parking, magic express, etc. In summary, my saving is at least $5000. $5000 / 75 = $67 per point saving. So the savings per point for me make it a reasonable decision for buying 75 pts direct.

Good luck with your decision! We are trying to make the direct vs. resale decision right now and our math worked out different, so I thought I’d share it—as I appreciated the clarity of yours. We are a family of 4 and the DVC discount on the platinum annual pass will end up being $120 per person, or a savings of $480 per year. We’ll probably end up buying it every other year, so over 10 years, this will be a savings of $2,400. The PhotoPass is included in any annual pass regardless is we get the $120 pp discount, so this does not save us any additional money. We are intrigued by the idea of additional savings on dining and shopping, but since we already have a Disney Visa (no need to actually use it regularly, of course), the DVC discounts don’t seem to actually be much different. In summary, our savings over 10 years would be about $2,400 + whatever enjoyment we get out of “members only” events.

For this reason, we’re leaning toward straight resale, but we’ll see if we decide to split them in the end :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter