My recent cruise on RCCL. Comparison with DCL

This review gives me hope. We took an RCL cruise this past spring break on Liberty of the Seas and much of what you are stating is not what we experienced. It confirmed that for us DCL is better for a few more years at least. My sister and brother in law were originally split but recently decided Carnival was slightly better then RCL for them. I too did a review but it is on the Royal Caribbean forum. We probably will sail RCL again but it will be several years down the road and will most likely be out of Florida on the larger ships.

We took a Costa cruise out of Venice they held our passports the entire week. Had to stand in line at an appointed time the last afternoon to get back. All accounts had to be settled first.

Following your trip report with great interest. Was booked on this same cruise but ultimately decided to cancel in favor of a land based trip of Paris and Normandy.

We did a private excursion to Normandy which we loved. Made us want to go back and spend more time in France

This review gives me hope. We took an RCL cruise this past spring break on Liberty of the Seas and much of what you are stating is not what we experienced. It confirmed that for us DCL is better for a few more years at least. My sister and brother in law were originally split but recently decided Carnival was slightly better then RCL for them. I too did a review but it is on the Royal Caribbean forum. We probably will sail RCL again but it will be several years down the road and will most likely be out of Florida on the larger ships.

You will want to read my next installment, about the activities and teen programming.

We took a Costa cruise out of Venice they held our passports the entire week. Had to stand in line at an appointed time the last afternoon to get back. All accounts had to be settled first.
Dcl held our passports for 11 days. We picked them up at an appointed time the night before we disembarked. It doesn't sound any different then costa except we didn't have to settle accounts.

I've been on Royal Caribbean and Carnival and although I would sail again on them I rather sail Disney. My husband went on one Carnival cruise and flat out refuses to cruise on anything but Disney. He calls himself a Cruise Snob, lol. So this Oct. will make our 10th, yay Platinum, Disney Cruise. This time to Nova Scotia and we can't wait. Looking forward to more of your review.

I've been on Royal Caribbean and Carnival and although I would sail again on them I rather sail Disney. My husband went on one Carnival cruise and flat out refuses to cruise on anything but Disney. He calls himself a Cruise Snob, lol. So this Oct. will make our 10th, yay Platinum, Disney Cruise. This time to Nova Scotia and we can't wait. Looking forward to more of your review.

Congrats on making platinum!! I can only dream

Friendliness of staff/ customer service. I went in not expecting much. After all everyone knows Disney excels at customer service. People go to Florida to take courses on "the Disney Way". Apparently the staff on RCCL (or it appears it is now RCI) took the course.
My husband and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary on 7/7 on RCI. It was our first non disney cruise and your review was right on. We too boarded with low expectations but RCI exceeded them all. I couldn't agree more with your thoughtful review. However, I did miss the "classy" feel that you get on DCL and with three little ones, DCL is best (for now).

Okay comparison RCCL to DCL Part Two:

One more thing about the passengers, and I don't want to anger anyone, this is just my observations and opinions. But I felt like I saw less people complaining and acting "entitled" than I have seen on DCL. I wonder if it has to do with paying so much to cruise DCL and then feeling angry if something doesn't live up. (...)

Oh yeah... I heard that "I paid 4000$ for this cruise and..." once. So, IMHO, the more people pay for something, the more they feel entitled. (Not just on DCL).

Formal night: way, way more people dressed up in formal attire on RCI. (...)

I noticed that on the Carnival Victory as well. And many people taking photograph sessions dressed in gowns and tuxedos.

Luggage tags: On DCL prior to departure date you get nice luggage tags in the mail. Helps you get excited for your upcoming cruise. On RCL you get a page to print out on your computer and directions on how to fold it and to use tape or staples to secure it. Was I disappointed at first? Yeah sure. Was it worth extra $2000? Nope. Did it do the job and get our bags to us? You bet

Yeah, that was a little turn off too when it comes to Carnival/RCCL tags... but I'm well equiped for next time: I ordered plastic sleeves for my tags. And I'm going to print it in color. Wheeeee!!!!

Great review so far! Thank you so much! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter