My son is mildly autistic - anyone else? Will he be freaking out the whole trip?

NeverbeenB4

Earning My Ears
We are taking our 4 kids, ages 3,5,6, and 8 to WDW in December. My 5-yr-old is mildly autistic. He may either be totally enthralled or totally wig out. We never know! He tends to be sensitive to loud noises. Anyone else ever take a "special-needs" like this to WDW? How did they do? Can the WDW staffers do anything to accomodate us? We want to all have fun and we want him to be included in our first family trip. Thank you in advance. :D

You should try asking this question again on the DISabilities board. There are lots of folks there who will be happy to help you in lots and lots of ways.:cool:

Our youngest son is also mildly autistic. He has been to WDW with us 3 times since age 3 (he is 8 now). The first year was a little tough on him because everything is new and sometimes loud. Now WDW is his favorite place to go!

Don't be too worried. I think you will be fine. With Andy the first year we learn to take breaks often and not push when he seemed tired.

Lisa

What should we avoid because of surprised, sudden loud noise? Is there anything that wigged-out your kid unexpectedly? Thanks

Our son is also mildly autistic (PDD). He went for the first time in May 2000 when he was 'almost' 3 and had a GREAT time. We were a bit concerned about some of the shows and their noise levels so we avoided the REALLY loud ones (like Indy Jones) and stuck to the more mild ones. Sitting in the back helped a lot too.

He had a bit of a breakdown on the boat ride across the lagoon at Epcot - the other passengers were not pleased with his screaming but the employees were very understanding.

The interaction with the characters seemed to do wonders for my son - really brought out a lot of communication.

Hope you guys have as positive of an experience as we did :)

Welcome to the disABILITIES Board.
I'm sure teri will be along soon to welcome you. She has a link to a lot of information gathered from the board that will be helpful.
You can also do a search for "autism" or "autistic" on this board. Toward the top of the page, you will find a line withuser cp > register> calendar> members> f.a.q. > search > home. Click on search and you will be all ready to find what you need.
You can get a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities at each park. It's not real informative, but some of the information will be helpful to you. It lists how long rides/shows last, which will help you prepare. It does tell a little about each ride, like is it a high speed, turbulant ride, or a slow, quiet boat ride. It doesn't really tell how noisy a ride is, but most of the ones that it lists as "not recommended for guide dogs" tend to be on the noisy side.
WDW also has Guest Assistance Cards that help you to do things like wait in a less crowded or noisy area or use the wheelchair entrance even though you don't have a wheelchair. They don't provide immediate access to rides and are not meant to bypass lines, just let you wait in a place more appropriate to your needs.

Hello Neverbeen! You should have a great time at Disney!

Our son, who is also autistic, had the time of his life at WDW when he was five. It helped a lot to take things at a slow pace and do more sightseeing than riding. He really enjoyed the small things, like the balloons that go up and down in the ceiling of the Land Pavilion, the spinning sculpture things on the poles in Innoventions Plaza, and the circle vision movies, so we spent a lot of time just walking around and looking at these things. We took his own familiar stroller which seemed to comfort him in unfamiliar situations. We also asked guest services for the guest assistance card (GAC) that allowed him to use his stroller as a wheelchair so he could take it into the queues and the various pavilions -- it was a necessity because he couldn't walk at the time -- but I know it helped him feel more safe and secure too. If your son is overwhelmed by the closeness in the queues you can also ask for a GAC that allows him to wait in a different area away from the hubbub. It also might help for him to have a familiar toy to comfort him and keep him occupied in more stressful situations.

Luckily for us, our son didn't have any moments of wigging out, but we always tried to put ourselves in a position to leave the attraction quickly in case he did. I believe WDW was an extremely positive experience for him. The most amazing thing was that in the month after we visited WDW, his communication was the best it ever had been. He even said some words, which is very unusual for him, the most memorable being "I love you Mom"!!! I'm taking him back this December too, so if you see a cute blond seven-year old in a green jogging stroller, be sure to say HI! It might be us! :)

One more thing -- for MK fireworks viewing try the beach at the Poly. The music is piped in through the speakers on the beach path, and the view is fantastic! Plus, the kids have plenty of room to stretch and play, and the "booms" aren't nearly as loud as inside the MK. Hope you have a great trip!

Hi, welcome to our board! Click on the link in my signature for discussions about travelling with a special needs child, pacing, and the GAC.

I am kind of wiped out right now, my son had a major meltdown tonight... but here are a couple of links to recent posts that might be of interest to you:
taking an autistic child to WDW
autistic kids at WDW
PDD-NOS diagnosis and therapies
constructive ways to deal with staring

That should get you started!

If you have specific questions, we will do our best to help you.

I don't have much to add because the above posts were all great.

I have taken my five year old PDD child to WDW four times and we are headed again in 6 days. A few things that helped us.

As stated before, watch the fireworks from the beach at the Polynesian, it is still very beautiful and not nearly as loud. We had a major meltdown two years ago because we were just coming off a ride when the fireworks started going off. My daughter totally lost it, it almost appeared like she was having a seizure. There was no way to escape it because even though we rushed out of MK the fireworks seemed to be surrounding us. Ducking in a shop helped a little, but the damage had already been done. It took a very exhausting hour to calm her down.

We also only tour the parks in 3-4 hour increments and plan some calm, non stimulating time in our resort between park touring. I brought some of her favorite toys from home that were calming to her. We also try to keep her sleeping and eating schedule very close to what it is at home.

My daughter head bangs against the back of her stroller as a calming mechanism-this helped me know we needed to take a break. Be mindful of your child's "warning" signals.

Several of the shows are very loud-The Lion King at MK is one of them. I made sure my daughter wore ear plugs when seeing these shows.

My daughter does not do well with surprises-the very best thing I did was buy the Disney Sing Along Songs--Disneyland Fun video. Although it is about Disneyland several of the rides are almost identical. When we got to MK I think it helped her out a lot to have already seen the rides and know what to expect.

Most of all remember that WDW is truly a magical place. We have had a fabulous memories from our vacations there. My life is so hectic at home-speech therapy, physical therapy, psychologist's, etc.....that sometimes I forget to "enjoy" life with my child-our frequent trips to WDW enable me to concentrate on enjoying my precious daughter and take a break from the constant stress of trying to "fix" her disabilities.

Have fun!!!!!!

Welcome from a fellow PDD mom, I found and you will too, there are a lot of us out there who check into the disabilities board in just your situation. Everyone is very supportive and I agree with all the suggestions I've read so far, especially about taking WDW in smaller bites. A couple of hours here and there we found in the parks to be ideal. Plus we spent a lot of time at the Wilderness Lodge and really enjoyed that too. Definately avoid the "loud" shows. My son would freak, he is very sound sensitive. Definately get the GAC card and I found with my son to take along some familiar things he could carry with him like his blankie. The comfort items. I think you guys will have a terrific time. Please let us know how it goes. Definately post anymore questions.

My DD is not autistic, but has ADD along with her other problems. We found MK to be too mich stimulation without some stops. One ride where her reaction surprised us was Small World. We expected she would like it, but until she was about 5, she would stick her thumb in her mouth and sit with her arms over her eyes. It was just too much stimulation. But she enjoyed the things at Epcot much more. They were quieter and darker and your attention is directed by lighting and the way the ride ar is facing. A really good attraction is the Living Seas. (Except you need to bypass the movie; it is very loud and goes from light to dark in places). The attraction itself is very calming, like being inside an aquarium.

Just wanted to say that, as a mother of a child with PDD, the other posts have all been right on. My son will be 7 this year and we took him for the first time when he was 21 months (wasn't diagnosed yet). We have been 5 times since that trip and he absolutely loves it now. He actually slept through the whole first trip, so I lucked out.

I think that since you know best what your son can handle, you'll have to determine what he will be able to do.

My son has a mild sensitivity to loud noises, he doesn't really have a problem with many of the attractions and if he does he covers his ears and still wants to do the attraction again. Of course, now that he's been often enough he knows when the loud parts are coming and covers his ears. This happens in Honey, I Shrunk the Audience and MuppetVision. Can't recall if there are any others.

I know this probably didn't help much, but since all the other posts were good, I know you're not being let down.

Have a great trip and I'm sure your son will do just fine.

I'm a mom of two with autism. Take advantage of early entry. Alternate between quiet rides & wild rides. Rest as needed. . I give ds a lollipop so he's good for the parade. Noone sits too close & we leave for a swim/rest/wash right after parade. Change parks if it's too crowded. We leave before the fireworks. (My ds hates fireworks) Don't worry about what others think! You know your child best. I drag dd onto every ride kicking & screaming the first day. By the end of the trip(or by the end of the day) she's dragging me! Again again...

My son is HF PDD. We just returned from our trip on 6/3, yes just last Sunday. We have been to WDW 2 other times as well. We went when he was 5 and at 8. He is now 10. Each trip provided a new experience.

Disney is so "real" to him. We finally figured out that it is the villains that bother him...but that was not always the case. Next, we really discovered it's the closed in, dark places that bothers him the most. He loved and I mean loved Fantasmic. And it is so scarey. I bought a package of earplugs from Eckerds. He would turn to me ask me for them if he had any concerns. He wore a hat that he could hold over his face and peak around if he wasn't sure of what was to come. Sometimes I was afraid we were torturing him, but he would always seem fine afterwards. He can be hard to read...he won't do Snow White and Peter Pan...but loved Fantasmic! Go figure!!! He preferred having a means of escape I suppose. But don't we all in certain situations?!

Here are my tips:
1. Take seveal sets of earplugs and show him ahead of time how they work. I still had to put them in his ears for him.

2. Take something for him to hide behind, like a hat.

3. Don't force him do to attractions. Or, let him know that at the last minute he can leave. The CM's are very understanding.

4. DO GET A GUEST ASSISTANCE PASS - The one we had, allowed us to go to a place to wait at each attraction. We told Guest Services that he was Autistic and we would require the pass. If my son got inside and didn't want to do the attraction the CM would show us a way out where he and I could wait for the rest of our group. Hint: on the simulator rides, you can ask to view the movie of the simulator without having to feel the motion of the ride. There is a place they will put you for this. Unfortuantly, when they told my son they'd have to close the door for him to see Star Wars, he decided he wouldn't watch it.

5. Do rent a double stroller in the parks. They are large and may even hold 3 children. We rented one when my kids were 5 and 7...it sure saved us and them. We now, even envied the parents who could still use one. LOL Don't think that your 8 year old is too old to hop in for ride sometimes too. Everyone gets very tired. Hey you may want 2 double strollers!!!

Relax, take it easy, and you know your child...but he may surprise you. Just enjoy and let your other children enjoy too!!!:) I know it can be a hard balancing act, but it is so worth it! Just go with the flow and enjoy!!!:D

Just a reminder, the GAC is not a pass... it is a notice to CMs that you need assistance, and that they should do their best to keep you safe and accomodated. Here is a link to the GAC page in the FAQ. To get to the FAQ, click on the link in my signature.Information about the Guest Assistance Card

I wanted to make sure people know it is a Guest Assistance Card. They changed the name from Guest Assistance Pass because people thought a pass meant that you get immediate access to an attraction. The Guest Assistance Card does not give immediate access, but allows people to wait in a place that is more appropriate for their needs. Also, the wheelchair entrance for most rides involves waiting in line with everyone else (called Mainstream lines) until just before boarding.

Sorry, if my term of "pass" mislead anyone. No, it is not a pass. It allows the CM's to assist the people who need it without you having to explain your situation each time. I am grateful to Disney for being considerate of all people.

HI THERE! I HAVE BEEN TO WDW TWICE WITH MY KIDS I HAVE A 9, 71/2, AND 51/2. MY 7 YEAR OLD IS AUTISTIC DID JUST FINE ON MOST OF THE RIDES. I SUGGEST NOT GOING ON THE SCARY ONES EVEN AT MAGIC KINGDOM (GOOFYS ROLLERCOASTER) DAUGHTER WAS SCARED TO DEATH. MY DAUGHTER LOVED IT. SHE HAD A GREAT TIME. WE ARE GOING BACK NEXT WEEK. I HOPE SHE DOES FINE AGAIN. I'M NERVOUS BECAUSE WE ARE ALSO GOING ON THE DISNEY CRUISE. THAT SCARES ME. I HOPE SHE DOES FINE WITH THAT. THIS WILL BE OUR FIRST TIME DOING THIS. MY PERSONAL OPINION IS THAT ITS A GREAT PLACE TO GO. IF YOUR CHILD DOESN'T LIKE CERTAIN THINGS FINE THINGS THAT HE DOES LIKE. GREAT ONES DISNEY WORLD CAROSEL, ITS A SMALL WORLD, MICKEY TOON TOWN, BEAR JAMBOREE (ALITTLE LOUD) BUT VERY CUTE WITH BEARS. MGM HAS MUPPET 3D (AGAIN ALITTLE LOUD BUT FUN) BEAUTY AND THE BEAST SHOW FABULOUS. ANIMAL KINGDOM SAFARI, DINO PARK. EPCOT LIVING SEAS GREAT HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS FUN FUN FUN. ANOTHER PIECE OF ADVICE IS THAT WHEN YOU GET TO THE PARKS EACH PARK HAS MAPS AND INFO THAT CAN HELP WITH EACH OF THE RIDES OH ALSO IF YOU GO TO THE WEBSITE WWW.DISNEYWORLD.COM YOU CAN ALSO GET INFO ON THE PARKS AND RIDES THAT'S A GREAT PLACE TO CHECK OUT. ANY OTHER INFO PLEASE WRITE BACK. lynnie

Hi NeverbeenB4 - My 4yo daughter is very sensitive to loud noises, so I had packed earplugs, which she was willing to use in some situations, though at other times she seemed to prefer her hands or mine over her ears. Our biggest problem, however, was the automatic flushing toilets that are all over WDW, and have a habit of flushing at the most awkward moments. Being inside that small stall and actually sitting on the toilet when it began noisily flushing just did her in. Fortunately I had read a great tip here on the DIS, and was armed with many bandaids. After that, I'd just cover the electronic eye with a bandaid, we'd both use the toilet, and then she'd stand outside the stall so I could remove the bandaid and let the toilet flush. It turned out to be a sanity saver.

I hate those autoflush toilets. My DD is not too steady when she's on the toilet and each time she leans forward or moves a little bit, there goes the flusher. Our current record is 12 flushes during one toilet stop.
We've tried various things to cover them. Stickers stick too well and some things, like post it notes, might not stick well enough. Bandaids sound good since they will stick quite well and also come off easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter