My son won’t eat bacon is this normal or should I worry?

Eating pork products is usually prohibited if you are Jewish or Muslim. So is your kid weird for not wanting to eat bacon? No. There are literally millions of people in this world who don't eat bacon and they're just fine. :thumbsup2

I mean, if the kid doesn't like bacon doesn't really seem like an issue. Also, more for you:)

I got food poisoning from room service at the Swolphin in August - bad, paramedics checking on me after I probably should have gone to the ER, bad. It was from bacon. I couldn't eat it for like 4 months. I wondered if I could sue them for emotional suffering due to lack of being able to eat bacon.

Our oldest kids' pediatricians never even requested it. Our youngest's pediatrician offered it as an option a few years ago but there was no driving concern so we passed. You fight your battles your way. I'll do the same.
I think it can also depend on health risks.

We had blood work every other year because my dad has diabetes. It's the same reason why the eye doctor did certain checks here and there that others may not have gotten.

My sister was god awful with needles. I didn't like it but I also didn't kick the nurses or throw fits like she was prone to do. In all fairness a lot of that for her was psyching herself out.

I mean, if the kid doesn't like bacon doesn't really seem like an issue. Also, more for you:)

I got food poisoning from room service at the Swolphin in August - bad, paramedics checking on me after I probably should have gone to the ER, bad. It was from bacon. I couldn't eat it for like 4 months. I wondered if I could sue them for emotional suffering due to lack of being able to eat bacon.
4 months!?

I got food poisoning from frozen chimichangas in December 2009. I have yet to eat another one. Mine did result in a 3 hour stay in the ER getting fluids, potassium pills and anti-nausea medication. I went to the ER when my fever got high enough to go (we had called a nurses hotline and she advised not to go to the ER until the fever was like 102.5 or something like that).

I would only get worried if they didn't like any vegetables as you need then to be healthy.

No you don't. My almost 13 year old son has NEVER eaten a vegetable in his life. Never. Unless you count ketchup. He is autistic and just won't do it. He eats a TON of different fruits, though. His doctors have always said as long as he eats lots of different colored fruits, he is getting all the antioxidants he needs. He will eat almost any fruit, except citrus fruits, because of the stringiness/pulp but he will drink citrus juices. He is a super healthy kid, at a healthy weight, and has no nutritional deficiencies.

Ironically, my other son (also autistic) ONLY likes vegetables and the only fruits he will eat are apples, grapes, and strawberries. This kid's favorite food as a 2 year old was salad with lots of raw onions. He's a weird-o. ;)

Just curious, how do you know it was from the bacon?

One of my kids didn't like bacon when he was younger but now he's 18 and likes it.
There were alot of things my kids did and didn't like when they younger but have since changed as they have gotten older.

I think context is everything.
If greasy food is making him sick to his stomach, there may be a medical reason for that.(I'm not saying there actually IS, I'm just saying for some people there IS.
Your sister may have been expressing concern for that instead of expressing it because "he's not normal" if he doesn't like bacon or greasy food.
For years my sister would have bad stomach issues after eating high dairy/cheese content foods. Pizza was a big trigger for her. Found out she had a mild form of lactose intolerance.

My [ETA vegetarian] niece's cholesterol was high when she was younger and they realized she was eating a lot of cheese.

At any rate, there is a lot of information on this subject from a medical perspective, and the evidence-based premise is that high cholesterol levels in childhood lead to high cholesterol levels in adulthood that ultimately increase the risk for cardiovascular disease.

This is from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
It is a lot to digest (pardon the pun!) but the subject is complex, and this is comprehensive.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/101/1/141

Just seeing those dietary recommendations...
A lot of fake, low fat, no fat, processed substitutions.
Are you serious?
No thanks.

It is being more well known that most high cholesterol is HEREDITARY, due to the way one's body/liver/etc. functions. Not dietary.
(Unless you live on pizza, KFC, Burger King, etc...)

You are correct; there is a lot of information on the subject. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry, so as a concerned mom (and professional scientist) I have done a significant amount of reading in the peer-reviewed literature on the subject. The current connection of cholesterol levels and cardiovascular disease is tenuous, at best. I do agree that high cholesterol levels in childhood lead to high cholesterol in adulthood, though - I've not seen any evidence to refute that fact.

And for the record, my son doesn't eat dairy either. He's essentially a vegan (his choice, not mine). However the correlation between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol is also becoming more questioned in the literature as well.

Greasy foods can be hard on the stomach but I think it may be worth looking into if the son experiences discomfort after eating greasy foods often enough. Maybe it's not necessarily the grease but something else.

It is a bit strange IMO to have it phrased as "not normal to eat bacon".

That actually reminds me of a recent adam ruins everything episode about bacon:

**Disclaimer it did not change my opinion on bacon---I still like it :laughing:

You are correct; there is a lot of information on the subject. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry, so as a concerned mom (and professional scientist) I have done a significant amount of reading in the peer-reviewed literature on the subject. The current connection of cholesterol levels and cardiovascular disease is tenuous, at best. I do agree that high cholesterol levels in childhood lead to high cholesterol in adulthood, though - I've not seen any evidence to refute that fact.

And for the record, my son doesn't eat dairy either. He's essentially a vegan (his choice, not mine). However the correlation between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol is also becoming more questioned in the literature as well.
I knew your credentials which is why I felt comfortable posting such a comprehensive article in response to your post. (I'm sure most others got through a few paragraphs and said forget it, lol.) I am a cardiac nurse and have been at it long enough to see trends that have evolved. I was surprised at what your cardiologist friend said, but it may have been the way your sentence was worded - in as, what wasn't warranted, dietary changes for high cholesterol, or medication? I'm thinking you probably meant medication, since most everyone would agree on dietary changes for elevated numbers; that's what current medical recommendations are pretty globally. I can understand the hesitation about starting a child on medication for cholesterol. But I also deal with adult disease and oftentimes people didn't take their elevated cholesterol levels seriously, or didn't really understand how heart disease develops. It's just something to think about, especially when the family history is positive.

Oh, and I also wanted to add that this is something I talk to my own kids about, especially my son who is a college athlete but eats a lot of fast food on the run and with his teammates. They love it, as do many kids today. And not just the burgers but the double burgers with bacon and BBQ sauce and such. :faint: It worries me, but the best I can try to do is educate. Growing up he ate a variety of good food and I never minded fast food or things like BACON :teeth: in moderation. I do think moderation is the way to go (unless, perhaps, there is an identified problem).

But I will say this - and there was mention of it in the article I posted, as well. During the Korean and Vietnam wars they began studying atherosclerotic disease by looking at the coronary arteries (the arteries that supply the heart muscle itself with blood) and other arteries of young men killed in action, and they found that those from the western world had the beginnings of coronary artery disease and other atherosclerotic disease even at around age 20. This was attributed to the higher amounts of saturated fats that we eat in our countries. Sixty years have passed since then and our diets have only worsened. Obesity rates have skyrocketed, diabetes has risen, etc. Put together, we're all at more risk going forward, which is why organizations like the American Heart Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics have made a concerted effort to lower elevated cholesterol levels if identified in children. Experts seem to think it's important enough to even add medication if the numbers can't become lowered by diet alone. They apparently think the benefit is worth the risk. That is basically the gist of it. Everyone has to do what they think is best for their families, but I think people should at least understand that children are affected even if they don't generally manifest a disease state [yet] at their young age.

@Mackenzie Click-Mickelson - 4 months without bacon seemed long enough. I should have gone to the ER during the worst of it, an ER visit might have saved the trip, but it was just a plague for the grown ups. The kids loved it, but not as much as the trip we took afterwards to make up for it:)

@Pea-n-Me - I was the only one affected and the only one that ate bacon, and all I'd had was that and toast as a quasi-sandwich while herding the cats. The kids both ate toast. Also, you know how you can taste what made you sick sometimes? Yeah, that was the worst. Maybe I just had a bad stomach bug, but I was great earlier, and then...not.

@Mackenzie Click-Mickelson - 4 months without bacon seemed long enough. I should have gone to the ER during the worst of it, an ER visit might have saved the trip, but it was just a plague for the grown ups. The kids loved it, but not as much as the trip we took afterwards to make up for it:)
My issue is it's like my body or mind who knows became conditioned to not want at all a chimichanga ever since then. I'm ok with that but boy I don't know if I would have the same viewpoint on bacon lol. IDK it's not exactly something I'm consciously doing either. Just the thought of a chimichanga instantly reminds me of the pain and awfulness of it all--maybe that's why I can't touch it since :crazy2:

No you don't. My almost 13 year old son has NEVER eaten a vegetable in his life. Never. Unless you count ketchup. He is autistic and just won't do it. He eats a TON of different fruits, though. His doctors have always said as long as he eats lots of different colored fruits, he is getting all the antioxidants he needs. He will eat almost any fruit, except citrus fruits, because of the stringiness/pulp but he will drink citrus juices. He is a super healthy kid, at a healthy weight, and has no nutritional deficiencies.

Ironically, my other son (also autistic) ONLY likes vegetables and the only fruits he will eat are apples, grapes, and strawberries. This kid's favorite food as a 2 year old was salad with lots of raw onions. He's a weird-o. ;)

If your doctors aren't concerned that's all that matters but I find it hard to believe anyone can live a long, healthy life without eating any vegetables. Just thinking about all the added calories and sugar needed to replace the nutrients (way more than antioxidants) in vegetables with fruit makes me feel diabetic. There are so many phytonutrients that are not really available outside of vegetables it sounds like a recipe for problems but whatever works for you.

At the end of the day I don't think there is any one diet to rule them all but the best advice I've ever heard regarding how a human should eat food is from Michael Pollan: "Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants."

At the end of the day I don't think there is any one diet to rule them all but the best advice I've ever heard regarding how a human should eat food is from Michael Pollan: "Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants."

Fruits are plants, so I'd say both the fruit and veggie eaters are safe :)

Have you considered the possibility that it's the nitrites in the bacon he has an issue with? It might be worth testing out/looking into. I noticed that I had no problems eating a juicy burger but bacon was giving me stomach discomfort. Switched to nitrite free bacon and no issues. I have to be careful when I eat out because most restaurants in my area use the less expensive bacon with nitrites :(

My Dh is an anti-bacon.....
When he ordered the sweet potato at Ruby Tuesdays, and it had a pile of bacon jam, I think he almost gagged!!!!

I used to love to do the chicken sandwiches for something healthier at fast food places.
Many of them were good.
Wendy's used to be good.
Now, they make me feel sick because every one of them is now pre-processed fake crap out of a sysco bag.
My husband will order this occasionally, and I can even smell that 'smell' from across the table!!!

It can really suck in this country today to be so sensitive.

4 months!?

I got food poisoning from frozen chimichangas in December 2009. I have yet to eat another one. Mine did result in a 3 hour stay in the ER getting fluids, potassium pills and anti-nausea medication. I went to the ER when my fever got high enough to go (we had called a nurses hotline and she advised not to go to the ER until the fever was like 102.5 or something like that).

I got food poisoning from a McDonald's McRib over 30 years ago & still can't stand to look at one. I won't even eat with anyone who is eating one. Like you, I had no choice, but to go to the ER. I had a very high fever & hives all over my body, including my head. My lips turned inside out & purple. I was shaking so hard that they had to tie me to the bed in the ER. Gastrointestinal problems were the mildest of the symptoms. The others were much worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter