My son won’t eat bacon is this normal or should I worry?

I am not sure why anyone would ever try to tell you that is something to worry about. I like Bacon, but bacon makes me feel weird when I eat it. You also mentioned that she thinks you're overprotective for picking your kid up from the bus stop even though she knows there is a creepy sex offender near his stop. Honestly, it sounds like she is the one with the issue. (the issue of being overly critical of everything lol)

I got food poisoning from a McDonald's McRib over 30 years ago & still can't stand to look at one. I won't even eat with anyone who is eating one. Like you, I had no choice, but to go to the ER. I had a very high fever & hives all over my body, including my head. My lips turned inside out & purple. I was shaking so hard that they had to tie me to the bed in the ER. Gastrointestinal problems were the mildest of the symptoms. The others were much worse.
That sounds awful truly awful!

Just curious, how do you know it was from the bacon?
I'd also be really surprised to hear that something that's basically just a strip of salt and preservatives would be a medium for food-borne illness. If I had to guess I'd say it was just as likely Noro picked up somewhere in the parks.

A lot of kids actually have high cholesterol. Where I live they test all kids' cholesterol at age 9, my son (who has been a vegetarian for years; he eats no animal products) had high cholesterol. It runs in my DH's side of the family, and doesn't seem to be linked with heart issues in any way.

His pediatrician wanted us to both change his diet (how, I don't know; I don't think she believed us that he's a vegetarian) and consider some sort of medication, but we said no. I have a good friend who is a cardiologist and he didn't believe it was warranted.
My oldest who is now 31 has been a vegetarian since age 3, his choice not mine. In his late 20s he did start eating salmon. He was never sick as a kid, rarely gets sick now lol

Obesity is an epidemic in many parts of the western world; so many kids are overweight and under-active (not DIS kids, of course ;) ). It should come as no surprise children can begin to suffer the same health effects as adults, including Type 2 Diabetes and cardio/pulmonary issues like high cholesterol. I like the idea of increased awareness and learning about healthy living but unfortunately it may only be people who are already pretty diligent in those ways that would be interested in participating. Just curious but would you mind saying if your sister and her kids are normal/healthy weights?
My nephews are both small for their ages, The youngest of the 2 was born 5 weeks early. They seem healthy, my sister is overweight, I am too, just hope that changes for me soon, my life for the past 2 years has been dedicated to taking care of dad after his stroke, he will be moving out this spring and I get me time back lol

I am not quite sure how you give someone a garden first off- to me the garden is something that is in your back yard like a big patch of land filled with flowers? But either way I wish someone gave me something every time my daughter had hers checked as a little kid with all her other yearly bloodwork at her annual physical LOL. Only thing I got out of it was the 20.00 co pay I was allowed to pay LOL.
Garden - framed, filled with dirt, plant starters and seeds of tomatoes, green beans, onions, strawberries, lettuce etc

I got food poisoning from a McDonald's McRib over 30 years ago & still can't stand to look at one. I won't even eat with anyone who is eating one. Like you, I had no choice, but to go to the ER. I had a very high fever & hives all over my body, including my head. My lips turned inside out & purple. I was shaking so hard that they had to tie me to the bed in the ER. Gastrointestinal problems were the mildest of the symptoms. The others were much worse.

Correction. You got poisoning from a McRib. There is no actual food in it so you can't get food poisoning. :)

mcrib_parts1.jpg

If the worse thing my sons all did growing up was not eating bacon and other greasy foods I would consider my parenting years a BREEZE!! :)
Lol love it! Well my son hates to sleep! Yes hates it! Even as a newborn he took 2 20 minute naps a day, I was exhausted! I still require more sleep than him, arg when I put him to bed he gets board and does math problems in his head smh

Wow!

I really appreciate everyone’s input and support, lots of good info here and it’s so nice to know my kid is probably normal, no need to run to the doctor because he don’t eat bacon, French fries, Taco Bell, Mcdonald or greasy foods. His friends just say, more bacon for me lol
Anyway thanks again!

That sounds awful truly awful!

It was! I decided to try a McRib, because we were on vacation. Normally, I would have ordered a hamburger. Big mistake! My parents had to call the front desk & ask them where the closest ER was. Talk about ruining a vacation for everyone. :o If nothing else, it taught my family the difference between a food not agreeing with your stomach & having true food poisoning. Severe gastrointestinal issues, with no other symptoms, aren't the same as food poisoning. If you haven't experienced true food poisoning, you wouldn't know that.

As a side note, I also have a memory of a truly kind stranger connected to this incident that I will never forget. Thanks to him my memories of that incident aren't all bad.

Correction. You got poisoning from a McRib. There is no actual food in it so you can't get food poisoning. :)

mcrib_parts1.jpg

Whatever is was, it was wicked. All I know is the doctor called it food poisoning & the tests identified the McRib as the cause.

Last edited:
I'd also be really surprised to hear that something that's basically just a strip of salt and preservatives would be a medium for food-borne illness. If I had to guess I'd say it was just as likely Noro picked up somewhere in the parks.

Yes, food borne illness is such a broad category (not saying anyone here did or did not have it, just talking generally). All kinds of things get lumped into it. It's possible to get sick from eating good food that was handled by someone who had a virus...just like if you were to have kissed them. Or as you said you could just have picked it up in a park and symptoms coincidentally happen to start a few hours after you ate something. Poisoning from bacteria in food itself is difficult to prove. Symptoms typically take 8-12 hours to set in, or longer. Then you have to identify the presence of the bacteria, typically through fecal tests. You also then need to be able to relate it specifically back to that one food, which is difficult because usually the person has eaten or drank something else in that same time period. In many cases one of the biggest clues to identify it is multiple people getting sick within the same time frame after eating the exact same thing (can still be viral related, but is a clue toward food borne illness).

I'm surprised you got a 10 year old to go along with a blood draw. That's not a battle I would have wanted to fight (assuming they were otherwise healthy).

They get used to it- mine gets it yearly at her yearly physical since she was a toddler- the lab we use has this lady there that is great with kids so everyone I know goes their for their kids annual blood work and uses her.

Yes, food borne illness is such a broad category (not saying anyone here did or did not have it, just talking generally). All kinds of things get lumped into it. It's possible to get sick from eating good food that was handled by someone who had a virus...just like if you were to have kissed them. Or as you said you could just have picked it up in a park and symptoms coincidentally happen to start a few hours after you ate something. Poisoning from bacteria in food itself is difficult to prove. Symptoms typically take 8-12 hours to set in, or longer. Then you have to identify the presence of the bacteria, typically through fecal tests. You also then need to be able to relate it specifically back to that one food, which is difficult because usually the person has eaten or drank something else in that same time period. In many cases one of the biggest clues to identify it is multiple people getting sick within the same time frame after eating the exact same thing (can still be viral related, but is a clue toward food borne illness).

I always find it a bit suspect when someone insists they got food poisoning from a specific food. Unless you ate something that was later determined to be part of an outbreak, like spinach in 2006, it is impossible to really know. And like you said, a perfectly good piece of food could make you sick if it was handled by someone that didn't sufficiently wash their hands. In that case you didn't get sick from any food, you go sick from a person handling your food.

I'll trust the ER staff and the medical bill for testing who diagnosed me with food poisoning :)

It was! I decided to try a McRib, because we were on vacation. Normally, I would have ordered a hamburger. Big mistake! My parents had to call the front desk & ask them where the closest ER was. Talk about ruining a vacation for everyone. :o If nothing else, it taught my family the difference between a food not agreeing with your stomach & having true food poisoning. Severe gastrointestinal issues, with no other symptoms, aren't the same as food poisoning. If you haven't experienced true food poisoning, you wouldn't know that.

As a side note, I also have a memory of a truly kind stranger connected to this incident that I will never forget. Thanks to him my memories of that incident aren't all bad.

Whatever is was, it was wicked. All I know is the doctor called it food poisoning & the tests identified the McRib as the cause.
On vacation just sucks. It's a fear of mine of getting sick and welp there goes the trip. I'll spare people the details but that memory of mine is burned in my head..yuk..lol.

My oldest who is now 31 has been a vegetarian since age 3, his choice not mine. In his late 20s he did start eating salmon. He was never sick as a kid, rarely gets sick now lol

Your son is not a vegetarian if he eats salmon. He was a vegetarian but not now if he’s eating salmon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter