My son won’t eat bacon is this normal or should I worry?

So back to this garden thing, did they come to your home and plant a garden? Did they give you several packets of seeds/soil? Or were they seedlings that you just had to plant?

Congratulations. You have raised a child who will eat healthy and likely avoid a lot of the diseases that plague the rest of us .

Agree it sounds like he’s going to be a lot better than most kids. All the branches of the US military had to up Their weight charts because of kids weights now a days.

Yes, food borne illness is such a broad category (not saying anyone here did or did not have it, just talking generally). All kinds of things get lumped into it. It's possible to get sick from eating good food that was handled by someone who had a virus...just like if you were to have kissed them. Or as you said you could just have picked it up in a park and symptoms coincidentally happen to start a few hours after you ate something. Poisoning from bacteria in food itself is difficult to prove. Symptoms typically take 8-12 hours to set in, or longer. Then you have to identify the presence of the bacteria, typically through fecal tests. You also then need to be able to relate it specifically back to that one food, which is difficult because usually the person has eaten or drank something else in that same time period. In many cases one of the biggest clues to identify it is multiple people getting sick within the same time frame after eating the exact same thing (can still be viral related, but is a clue toward food borne illness).

I always find it a bit suspect when someone insists they got food poisoning from a specific food. Unless you ate something that was later determined to be part of an outbreak, like spinach in 2006, it is impossible to really know. And like you said, a perfectly good piece of food could make you sick if it was handled by someone that didn't sufficiently wash their hands. In that case you didn't get sick from any food, you go sick from a person handling your food.

So, I spent the evening & entire night in the ER with doctors running tests, diagnosing food poisoning, treating me for it & pointing out a specific food that caused it, but the diagnosis is still suspect?

I agree way too many people think a severe upset stomach is food poisoning, when it isn't. True food poisoning is so much more than gastrointestinal issues. The other symptoms are much worse. That doesn't mean they can't diagnose a real case of food poisoning, by running tests.

FWIW, the symptoms start much earlier than 8-12 hours, but they're gradual. My symptoms started with nausea a couple hours after I'd eaten. It takes around 8 hrs. for all the symptoms to manifest & you to realize something is very wrong & you need to get to the ER immediately.

I'll trust the ER staff and the medical bill for testing who diagnosed me with food poisoning :)

Exactly!

Last edited:
my son is 10, he has never been a fan of bacon, French fries, McDonald’s or Taco Bell. Yesterday we went out to dinner with my sister and her 2 boys, ages 11 and 7, my sister asked my son if he wanted bacon and he said no the grease makes me sick. She asked me about it and I just replied he isn’t a fan of greasy food, she told me that’s not normal and that I should take him to the dr to see what’s wrong with him.

I think my son is fine, oddly we checked his cholesterol last summer (to get a free garden! Yeah!) anyway the dr said his bad cholesterol was in an awesome place and same with the good - that’s what he told my son.
So is my kid weird? Should I actually worry that he hates greasy food? He will eat taco time on occasion, but a thinks taco bell is nasty and greasy, idk

Is this for real? Makes me wonder!!

So, I spent the evening & entire night in the ER with doctors running tests, diagnosing food poisoning, treating me for it & pointing out a specific food that caused it, but the diagnosis is still suspect?

I agree way too many people think a severe upset stomach is food poisoning, when it isn't. True food poisoning is so much more than gastrointestinal issues. The other symptoms are much worse. That doesn't mean they can't diagnose a real case of food poisoning, by running tests.

FWIW, the symptoms start much earlier than 8-12 hours, but they're gradual. My symptoms started with nausea a couple hours after I'd eaten. It takes around 8 hrs. for all the symptoms to manifest & you to realize something is very wrong & you need to get to the ER immediately.

Wow, easy there, don't get so touchy. I was pretty clear in saying that I wasn't commenting on anyone's specific situation, but just talking about "food poisoning" in general. I don't know your specific case, don't have your medical records. Sorry you went through that. I have quite a lot of experience with the topic of food poisoning, so I was just speaking broadly. It is difficult to prove and even harder to pinpoint back to a specific food. To be 100% clear, it does happen, and I have no clue about the specifics of your situation....nor was I commenting specifically on it. If you had it, I feel for you. My only point was that actual food poisoning happens far less than people think.

And yes, if you get contaminated from someone who handled your food that had a virus you can get sick in several hours. But illness from bacteria or viruses in the food itself typically take 8-12 hours or more (can be a lot more) to set in. That's what makes food poisoning often very difficult to diagnose.

So back to this garden thing, did they come to your home and plant a garden? Did they give you several packets of seeds/soil? Or were they seedlings that you just had to plant?
Yes they came to our home, built gardens using 2 x 4s for a frame, added soil, starter plants, seeds and thought us howmto maintain it. It’s GRUB I’m not sure if they are just in Washington State or the whole US

I cannot believe your sister actually said that your son needs to go see a doctor because he does not like bacon. I would’ve snapped back and said that she did take her kids to the doctor And get their cholesterol checked spaceas they only seem to like junk food.

As a kid I was very sensitive to any type of meats that were fatty. I would not eat salami as the little white dots of fat freaked me out. I also would not eat bacon or least the American kind if then only Canadian bacon. I would not eat stew because God for bid there was a piece of fat still on a piece of meat. I have gotten better as I have aged as I will now eat salami. And if you really do think about it bacon is kind of a gross thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!