My Stay at OKW June 22-27, 2020

AndyCapable

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

I was at the OKW for the first steps Disney is taking to open everything back up. I stayed at the OKW from Monday to Saturday (June 22-27). I was one of the first to arrive!

I will start off and say, as nicely as possible, Disney needs time to get the engine warmed up again. Let me explain.

Arrival
When you get to the OKW, it's beautiful as always. It was really empty. Finding a parking spot up front was not a problem at all. I took a deep breath in seeing the place like "great, it still exists and is as beautiful as ever!"

I knew that things would be different but had to go because hey, it's my home away from home and I missed it. It's when you actually see it closer that reality gets to you. Things are different, starting with putting a mask on the moment you get out of your vehicle.

Important Note on Masks
Let me stop right there. If you think that a mask at WDW will not be an issue, really reconsider that thought and do test your theory out fully. I'll re-emphasize it, before you go to Disney and spend that much money, absolutely 100% be sure you and everyone in your party can handle it for long stretches of time. Please, please take this statement seriously.

I'll go into it just a little bit more. It was in the upper 90s and high humidity each day. I tolerate the h&h on a normal, mask-free day (for reference, I go to WDW all year round, including June-September) but that mask is very rough to keep on after about 10 minutes in the summer weather. I tried several types of 1-layer masks during this time (I cannot image 3-layer mask would be more comfortable). Some cloth ones were better than some paper ones, but by small degrees.

Again, Disney requires a mask everywhere except when you are seated in a restaurant, in the pool, or in your room (never said anything about being in a vehicle, but that's been called out by the CDC as being advised against). Even if you're by yourself, nobody else around, tested negative each day, and about to pass out, you will have to wear the mask. I know this because I took my mask off for about 2 minutes (I was about to pass out) before a CM drove up to me within a minute of doing that and fully lectured me about their rules. I'm a big fan of CMs but that one did not even ask me if I'm ok despite leaning on a wall, sweat dripping, gasping for breath, praying for mercy :) I'm kidding about praying for mercy, but I was in bad shape that moment (the "feels like" temp was about 109). The fact that you agree to hold no liability against Disney if get COVID19 whether you wear a mask or not aside, you and everyone above the age of 2 in your party, must wear a mask.

Sorry to talk so much about the mask, but it is really essential to know this now. I'll move on now.

OKW Notes
Going into the hospitality house area, there are lots and lots and lots of signs and such to tell you what to do and when. The warnings and whatnot are there. You should read them even after you dropped points or money for the room. Another item of note, is the traffic flow is directed now. For example, if you are in Olivia's you must exit through the back exit near the Gurgling Suitcase. The only way you go out the main entrance is if you have to use the restroom. Then, you have to stick to the right side of the pathway.

Checking-in should be done with the MDE app. There was an issue with it that day, so I ended up going to the front desk anyway. It's different there. Some of the CMs I knew are back, so that's nice. The systems have been updated so there are some growing pains there. It took awhile to talk to a CM behind plexiglass, but it all got straightened out.

Alright, so that's done and I go to the building I'm staying at. I like how you can park close to the building with your villa. It makes it easier to unpack/pack the luggage.

The villas are great there. They kept up the cleanliness well. When I got in, there were signs saying they did "enhanced cleaning" but I got out the disinfectant wipes and such to be sure. They need to look at enhancing the "enhanced" cleaning. Still, it was a good effort.

There were some issues with the plumbing. You don't just let a bunch of resorts sit for months in the Florida weather and then expect it will all be fine again instantly. Things dry up and crack as well as corrode. I had to get maintenance in to fix the drains and lack of hot water. The engineer explained the situation that they are having a good number of issues and are working really hard to getting it all working properly. It was fine. They got it worked out within a few hours.

Had a few meals there. Olivia's is still great. Some tables and booths are labeled as not usable since we are all socially distancing right now (your are staying away from each other and washing your hands after touching surfaces, right?). The menu was limited but the fried chicken is still there along with the shrimp pasta and conch fritters.

The main pool was operating no problem at all. It's really empty even a few days later. Later in the stay, I checked out the quiet pool at Old Turtle Pond Road. There were a couple people there but the Turtle Shack was not operating. I did checkout the laundry facilities up front. They were running but I'm not sure about the other locations.

As you might guess, it's quiet there. The only noise there are some gardening tools as well as the carts. They seem to be getting things cleaned up with the plantings.

Buses to the Disney Springs were operating fine. They seemed to be pretty much running regularly. I did not take them but availability of seats did not look like an issue at all.

So, it is changed there at the OKW. I was hoping for a bit less regimen and more friendly faces. Beautiful there, though!

Disney Springs
I went to Disney Springs several times during the trip. Parking was a breeze. There are plenty of spaces available, no issue there. You do have to park at either the Orange or Lime Garage.

The foot traffic to get in, even at the dinner time, was fine. You go in, they make sure you have your mask on, get your temperature checked, then go in. Don't forget the hand sanitizer!

Not many people hanging out there during the week. Around lunchtime, it's really empty! The crowds pick up during dinner. It is far lighter all around. Not sure if you really need a reservation yet. Since table inventory is lowered, you probably should get one anyway if you want a particular time.

I tried the Daily Poutine, Wolfgang's Bar and Grill, Wine Bar George, and a few other items. Out of them all, Wine Bar George is at the top. They had to do some substitutions on various meats and cheeses, but still good selection.

Quick note, I saw a large group that did not bring masks. It was a bit of a stir but the CM there provided paper masks. That's pretty nice to do as availability is still pretty tight on those masks.

I went into a few stores too. The traffic flow directions are there but I wouldn't say people were following them. They were not being enforced either.

Social distancing markers are everywhere. They did not seem to be followed too closely. There were few people there when I went so that is probably not a problem

The entrance over to Saratoga Springs is blocked off with a guard. Since I was not staying there, I could not walk over as normal.

So, Disney Springs is good but there are still some things to keep in your head.

Other Resorts
Not much to do since the parks are closed right now and you are tired of Disney Springs? Check out the other resorts, then. Well, hold on, you better make sure you get that dining reservation at the resort. They will turn you away if drive up you don't have a reservation. To get one of them, you could call the reservation number or DVC Member Services, but your best bet is going to be to walk over to the Front Desk and see if they can help you.

Thinking about it, I wonder if you could go to the Disney Springs bus and transfer to the resort? I did not do that so I cannot tell you if they are checking people to make sure they are staying at the particular resort.

I checked out the Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, and Beach Club. Really, really empty at those places!

Wilderness Lodge is always beautiful! Probably the best place to experience Disney right now.

I did like Beaches & Cream as always. The CM there was great and the food was fun. Not too many people in the restaurant so a bit strange that a place once so full of excitement is now that empty!

There are plenty of signs blocking the Boardwalk pathways. You cannot just walk over to pay homage to the Hollywood Studios or Epcot. At the Beach Club, you cannot walk over to the Yacht Club even.

It was nice to see Stormalong Bay again. No one was there, but it looks inviting and made me think about a possible future trip.

What about places outside of WDW?
I thought about Universal and SeaWorld but wondered if it would be worth the cost. Universal's rides lost a bit of their attraction to me since I've been on them dozens of times. I do want to get back there to see the new stunt show but probably will wait till things calm down before spending that money.

SeaWorld is really great in my book and Discovery Cove is my favorite place in that whole Central Florida Area. I did read and see different bloggers/vloggers' reactions to SeaWorld's lack of social distancing. This made me think it would be best to not go there just yet.

With all that is happening with the increase in cases, I just stayed on Disney Property. Not what I really wanted, but I had to be realistic. This is where I'll get into my final thoughts.

Concluding Thoughts

Alright, so let's conclude my thoughts. It's rough. I went because I had points leftover and I wanted to see what is going on and report to people about what I found. There are few things open right now with a skeleton crew (working really hard!) and it's quiet so consider that if you go before the parks open.

Would I recommend going to WDW or even the Central Florida Area after the parks open back up? I would say that if this is your once-in-awhile or once-in-a-lifetime trip to the area, no, do not go till about 2022. There are far too many risks and rules right now. The Disney Park Pass system alone should be cautionary to you. Until they open up the "freedom" of going to whatever park you want whatever time of day then park hop over to another, it's probably not going to be as enjoyable as you want it to be. That's especially true for regulars who enjoy the idea of going to the Hollywood Studios in the morning then travel over to Epcot for the afternoon and evening.

If you are a guest who goes every year or more and are thinking of going to the parks next month and just cannot hold back any longer because you are about to burst, be cautious and check yourself. Keep your head on straight. It's all still a work in progress. The masks alone might be too much for you and your group. Then there are risks to your health and the health of the people around you. Give it some time to see what people experience in the first year of getting back to operation. Let the unknowns get turned into the known.

There are risks, serious risks to consider. I don't think people grasp the bigger picture right now. The businesses that operate the theme parks are putting the responsibility on you if you get sick or get someone else sick. On that legality burden alone, you are better off waiting at least till summer of 2021.

The other item is all of the rules. There were many rules there to begin with and people did not follow them. Now that there are rules for almost everything there, it might be too much and you'll get bummed out. There are also the question marks surrounding the quality of the experience with virtual queues, lack of fireworks, lack of parades, reduced menus, and more. These will all be worked at in time. Patience is important.

Look, I want to end this in a positive note. It's all there, physically, still. Don't worry about that. The CMs in the front and back areas are working hard to get the engine running smoothly again. The business architects and accountanteers are going to do their thing as expected. You, though, you can control the outcome by telling Disney what you want to see before going back. I think that in a couple of years, as long as people are honest to themselves and relay to Disney what works and doesn't, you're gong to see a better guest experience.

Thank you

Hi, AndyCapable.

Thank you.

Are OKW & DS boat taxis running?

Hi Everyone,

I was at the OKW for the first steps Disney is taking to open everything back up. I stayed at the OKW from Monday to Saturday (June 22-27). I was one of the first to arrive!

I will start off and say, as nicely as possible, Disney needs time to get the engine warmed up again. Let me explain.

Arrival
When you get to the OKW, it's beautiful as always. It was really empty. Finding a parking spot up front was not a problem at all. I took a deep breath in seeing the place like "great, it still exists and is as beautiful as ever!"

I knew that things would be different but had to go because hey, it's my home away from home and I missed it. It's when you actually see it closer that reality gets to you. Things are different, starting with putting a mask on the moment you get out of your vehicle.

Important Note on Masks
Let me stop right there. If you think that a mask at WDW will not be an issue, really reconsider that thought and do test your theory out fully. I'll re-emphasize it, before you go to Disney and spend that much money, absolutely 100% be sure you and everyone in your party can handle it for long stretches of time. Please, please take this statement seriously.

I'll go into it just a little bit more. It was in the upper 90s and high humidity each day. I tolerate the h&h on a normal, mask-free day (for reference, I go to WDW all year round, including June-September) but that mask is very rough to keep on after about 10 minutes in the summer weather. I tried several types of 1-layer masks during this time (I cannot image 3-layer mask would be more comfortable). Some cloth ones were better than some paper ones, but by small degrees.

Again, Disney requires a mask everywhere except when you are seated in a restaurant, in the pool, or in your room (never said anything about being in a vehicle, but that's been called out by the CDC as being advised against). Even if you're by yourself, nobody else around, tested negative each day, and about to pass out, you will have to wear the mask. I know this because I took my mask off for about 2 minutes (I was about to pass out) before a CM drove up to me within a minute of doing that and fully lectured me about their rules. I'm a big fan of CMs but that one did not even ask me if I'm ok despite leaning on a wall, sweat dripping, gasping for breath, praying for mercy :) I'm kidding about praying for mercy, but I was in bad shape that moment (the "feels like" temp was about 109). The fact that you agree to hold no liability against Disney if get COVID19 whether you wear a mask or not aside, you and everyone above the age of 2 in your party, must wear a mask.

Sorry to talk so much about the mask, but it is really essential to know this now. I'll move on now.

OKW Notes
Going into the hospitality house area, there are lots and lots and lots of signs and such to tell you what to do and when. The warnings and whatnot are there. You should read them even after you dropped points or money for the room. Another item of note, is the traffic flow is directed now. For example, if you are in Olivia's you must exit through the back exit near the Gurgling Suitcase. The only way you go out the main entrance is if you have to use the restroom. Then, you have to stick to the right side of the pathway.

Checking-in should be done with the MDE app. There was an issue with it that day, so I ended up going to the front desk anyway. It's different there. Some of the CMs I knew are back, so that's nice. The systems have been updated so there are some growing pains there. It took awhile to talk to a CM behind plexiglass, but it all got straightened out.

Alright, so that's done and I go to the building I'm staying at. I like how you can park close to the building with your villa. It makes it easier to unpack/pack the luggage.

The villas are great there. They kept up the cleanliness well. When I got in, there were signs saying they did "enhanced cleaning" but I got out the disinfectant wipes and such to be sure. They need to look at enhancing the "enhanced" cleaning. Still, it was a good effort.

There were some issues with the plumbing. You don't just let a bunch of resorts sit for months in the Florida weather and then expect it will all be fine again instantly. Things dry up and crack as well as corrode. I had to get maintenance in to fix the drains and lack of hot water. The engineer explained the situation that they are having a good number of issues and are working really hard to getting it all working properly. It was fine. They got it worked out within a few hours.

Had a few meals there. Olivia's is still great. Some tables and booths are labeled as not usable since we are all socially distancing right now (your are staying away from each other and washing your hands after touching surfaces, right?). The menu was limited but the fried chicken is still there along with the shrimp pasta and conch fritters.

The main pool was operating no problem at all. It's really empty even a few days later. Later in the stay, I checked out the quiet pool at Old Turtle Pond Road. There were a couple people there but the Turtle Shack was not operating. I did checkout the laundry facilities up front. They were running but I'm not sure about the other locations.

As you might guess, it's quiet there. The only noise there are some gardening tools as well as the carts. They seem to be getting things cleaned up with the plantings.

Buses to the Disney Springs were operating fine. They seemed to be pretty much running regularly. I did not take them but availability of seats did not look like an issue at all.

So, it is changed there at the OKW. I was hoping for a bit less regimen and more friendly faces. Beautiful there, though!

Disney Springs
I went to Disney Springs several times during the trip. Parking was a breeze. There are plenty of spaces available, no issue there. You do have to park at either the Orange or Lime Garage.

The foot traffic to get in, even at the dinner time, was fine. You go in, they make sure you have your mask on, get your temperature checked, then go in. Don't forget the hand sanitizer!

Not many people hanging out there during the week. Around lunchtime, it's really empty! The crowds pick up during dinner. It is far lighter all around. Not sure if you really need a reservation yet. Since table inventory is lowered, you probably should get one anyway if you want a particular time.

I tried the Daily Poutine, Wolfgang's Bar and Grill, Wine Bar George, and a few other items. Out of them all, Wine Bar George is at the top. They had to do some substitutions on various meats and cheeses, but still good selection.

Quick note, I saw a large group that did not bring masks. It was a bit of a stir but the CM there provided paper masks. That's pretty nice to do as availability is still pretty tight on those masks.

I went into a few stores too. The traffic flow directions are there but I wouldn't say people were following them. They were not being enforced either.

Social distancing markers are everywhere. They did not seem to be followed too closely. There were few people there when I went so that is probably not a problem

The entrance over to Saratoga Springs is blocked off with a guard. Since I was not staying there, I could not walk over as normal.

So, Disney Springs is good but there are still some things to keep in your head.

Other Resorts
Not much to do since the parks are closed right now and you are tired of Disney Springs? Check out the other resorts, then. Well, hold on, you better make sure you get that dining reservation at the resort. They will turn you away if drive up you don't have a reservation. To get one of them, you could call the reservation number or DVC Member Services, but your best bet is going to be to walk over to the Front Desk and see if they can help you.

Thinking about it, I wonder if you could go to the Disney Springs bus and transfer to the resort? I did not do that so I cannot tell you if they are checking people to make sure they are staying at the particular resort.

I checked out the Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, and Beach Club. Really, really empty at those places!

Wilderness Lodge is always beautiful! Probably the best place to experience Disney right now.

I did like Beaches & Cream as always. The CM there was great and the food was fun. Not too many people in the restaurant so a bit strange that a place once so full of excitement is now that empty!

There are plenty of signs blocking the Boardwalk pathways. You cannot just walk over to pay homage to the Hollywood Studios or Epcot. At the Beach Club, you cannot walk over to the Yacht Club even.

It was nice to see Stormalong Bay again. No one was there, but it looks inviting and made me think about a possible future trip.

What about places outside of WDW?
I thought about Universal and SeaWorld but wondered if it would be worth the cost. Universal's rides lost a bit of their attraction to me since I've been on them dozens of times. I do want to get back there to see the new stunt show but probably will wait till things calm down before spending that money.

SeaWorld is really great in my book and Discovery Cove is my favorite place in that whole Central Florida Area. I did read and see different bloggers/vloggers' reactions to SeaWorld's lack of social distancing. This made me think it would be best to not go there just yet.

With all that is happening with the increase in cases, I just stayed on Disney Property. Not what I really wanted, but I had to be realistic. This is where I'll get into my final thoughts.

Concluding Thoughts

Alright, so let's conclude my thoughts. It's rough. I went because I had points leftover and I wanted to see what is going on and report to people about what I found. There are few things open right now with a skeleton crew (working really hard!) and it's quiet so consider that if you go before the parks open.

Would I recommend going to WDW or even the Central Florida Area after the parks open back up? I would say that if this is your once-in-awhile or once-in-a-lifetime trip to the area, no, do not go till about 2022. There are far too many risks and rules right now. The Disney Park Pass system alone should be cautionary to you. Until they open up the "freedom" of going to whatever park you want whatever time of day then park hop over to another, it's probably not going to be as enjoyable as you want it to be. That's especially true for regulars who enjoy the idea of going to the Hollywood Studios in the morning then travel over to Epcot for the afternoon and evening.

If you are a guest who goes every year or more and are thinking of going to the parks next month and just cannot hold back any longer because you are about to burst, be cautious and check yourself. Keep your head on straight. It's all still a work in progress. The masks alone might be too much for you and your group. Then there are risks to your health and the health of the people around you. Give it some time to see what people experience in the first year of getting back to operation. Let the unknowns get turned into the known.

There are risks, serious risks to consider. I don't think people grasp the bigger picture right now. The businesses that operate the theme parks are putting the responsibility on you if you get sick or get someone else sick. On that legality burden alone, you are better off waiting at least till summer of 2021.

The other item is all of the rules. There were many rules there to begin with and people did not follow them. Now that there are rules for almost everything there, it might be too much and you'll get bummed out. There are also the question marks surrounding the quality of the experience with virtual queues, lack of fireworks, lack of parades, reduced menus, and more. These will all be worked at in time. Patience is important.

Look, I want to end this in a positive note. It's all there, physically, still. Don't worry about that. The CMs in the front and back areas are working hard to get the engine running smoothly again. The business architects and accountanteers are going to do their thing as expected. You, though, you can control the outcome by telling Disney what you want to see before going back. I think that in a couple of years, as long as people are honest to themselves and relay to Disney what works and doesn't, you're gong to see a better guest experience.

Thank you

Hi,

Unfortunately, the water taxis were not running. I was not able to get answer as to when they would be back. I hope they make a return. They are very nice and would be missed.

Thank you

Hello AndyCapable. You mentioned plumbing problems. I was curious, with the resorts staying empty for so long, did you encounter any Florida critters in the room? I am hoping you did not and that Disney kept up with their pest/bug control program! Thanks for the report!

Hi misonrisa,
I am happy to report that there were no bugs, rodents, or other types of vermin in the room. I was on the first floor too. There are those tiny lizards outside still :)
The engineer did a great job fixing the problems. I call in these immediately whenever I check-in before I unpack. They are usually quick to respond.
The interesting item I should have noted is that before people arrived, they were replacing hot water heaters that stopped working. My building that I was staying in had to gave one replaced. The front desk CM was really great about informing me after they talked with engineering.
I feel for the frontline there. They have a lot of working tuning the property back up. It takes a lot to make that experience good for so many years. I hope it gets easier for them.
Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts