My Sweet Gum has no balls

snowball22

<font color=teal>Lovin' Disney<br><font color=red>
The first couple years of my Sweet Gum tree it grew the little spikey balls but the last two years it hasn't grown any. My neighbor's tree, which was planted at the same time has the spikey balls. The only thing I have done is trim branches. Could it be the acidity in the ground? Are there male and female sweet gums and mine just has an identity crisis? Any idea to what is up? Thanks everyone!!

great title for the post.
there are male and female sweetgum trees. In this case the female trees have the 'balls'. I hope the mods aren't paying attention.
if your tree had fruit one year and not the next, it is more than likely due to your pruning.

You can have mine if you want! No pun. I'm serious! I can fill up a green garbage bag at just about any time. My HUGE tree is 55 years old and I am SO tired of those balls that just bounce around when you try to rake them up. All year long those bloody things just keep falling on my roof, driveway, and walkway. I keep telling my neighbors "If you wake up one morning to the sound of a chain saw, don't be surprised". Beautiful tree but it just never stops! Did you ever step on one in bare feet? My parents planted it in 1950. They wanted a Pin Oak but the nursery was out. Rats!

I rarely post on this particular because I'm such a black thumb, but I HAD to read this one! Whatever the solution turns out to be, May your sweet gum grow some balls soon!

Minmate............your wish for my tree is cracking me up!!! LOL :rotfl2:

eclectics said:
You can have mine if you want! No pun. I'm serious! I can fill up a green garbage bag at just about any time. My HUGE tree is 55 years old and I am SO tired of those balls that just bounce around when you try to rake them up. All year long those bloody things just keep falling on my roof, driveway, and walkway. I keep telling my neighbors "If you wake up one morning to the sound of a chain saw, don't be surprised". Beautiful tree but it just never stops! Did you ever step on one in bare feet? My parents planted it in 1950. They wanted a Pin Oak but the nursery was out. Rats!

You can have mine too. I have two of them and like eclectics said, these balls fall throughout the year. In the summer they are small and green. (They drop down when we have a good summer rainstorm.) They mostly fall during winter. Now is when all the leaves fall and just when you think you have raked all the leaves up and off the property, and your yard is looking decent, watch out...here comes the prickly balls. Can't tell you how hazardous these things are when you are trying to be careful NOT to slip on ice patches while taking out the garbage when Whoops down you go courtesy of those damn prickly balls.

momtoce&j said:
here comes the prickly balls. ...Whoops down you go courtesy of those damn prickly balls.

Yeah, I don't care for prickly balls much either! Always making a mess of things!

Please come take my gum tree! Those blasted balls keep getting stuck up in my dog's paw. She's a greyhound and her paw of curves in and makes a perfect pocket for the ball. So imagine, if you will, me trying to get my hands on her to pull it out and her limping faster than I can move in trying to get her. :rotfl2:

minmate said:
Yeah, I don't care for prickly balls much either! Always making a mess of things!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I know the kind of tree you're talking about. Don't have one in my current neighborhood, but there was one in my old neighborhood and they were always dropping their balls.

I don't personally have a sweet gum tree, but my Grandmother does. All I remember of my youth at her house was trying not to trip or slip on all those balls in her yard! I also remember the prickly balls poking through my shoes and into my feet - ouch!

snowball, :rotfl: :teeth:

Maybe your trees lack of balls is a blessing.

who knows, nutured trees may be the trend of the future. :flower:

(your title is very crafty! ;) )

Hey! It said you're in royal oak. I'm in ferndale. I've recently become obsessed with the balls. Do you know of where they are? I'd also like to tap one (make salve out of the sap, doesn't harm the tree). So maybe one that's in a park and not someone's lawn. Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter