• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Myrtle Beach

Mousefanz

Cable Girl
Hi all,
Anyone ever done an exchange at Myrtle Beach?
The sites for exchange are:
Harbour Lights
Links Golf and Raquet Club
Shorecrest Vacation Villas

We would prefer something on the Grand Strand.
Any recommendations?

Thanks!:)

I can tell you that the Links are not located in the hustle and bustle of myrtle Beach, it is located North and is on a golf course off the main drag. You have a pretty good drive to get to all the "action" that Myrtle Beach has to offer.

While the Links is nice enough, it does not compare in any way shape or form to DVC.

Cannot tell you anything else about the others you listed.

Hi S and D,
(and neighbor...I live in Riverhead)
Anyway, I could tell you a little about Harbour Lights. I have stayed there twice, the first time in '99 and then again in Aug. of '00, each time for three nights. Although I did not use the Members Getaways program for my stay, my brother-in-law is a member of Bluegreen Resorts (not sure if that is correct), which is the corporation that manages their timeshare.
The resort is around the back of the Waccamaw mall next to Medieval Times, right along the Intercoastal Waterway. It has an indoor and an outdoor pool, and a nice little lounge area with a small workout room, billiard table and foosball table, and activity counter next to the indoor pool. The rooms were nice, but definatley smaller than we're accustomed to at DVC resorts :smooth: , and if the resort is crowded, parking your vehicle can be very difficult, especially if you come back late at night (be prepared to do a little walking).
I would rate the resort a 7.5 out of 10... Its a couple of miles from the beach, but located not too far from many of the other sources of entertainment that Myrtle Beach offers, which btw is quite alot !! I have a couple of friends that live around the MB area and when we drive to HH, we usually go to MB for a few days.

Brian
DVC '94

Check out www.shorecrest.com This is located directly on the ocean and is at the beginning of North MB. We stayed at a resort near the Shorecrest and enjoyed the location. It is also very close to Barefoot Landing.

If you're going to MB in off season I wouldn't use my DVC points to exchange there. There are too many great off season rates to waste DVC points IMHO. We live about 4 hours from MB and go there fairly often, at least once a year. I'd save my DVC points for somewhere nicer, because while MB is an okay break~ it's not the greatest place to go, again IMHO.

Thanks to all for the info on Myrtle Beach.

I agree, off season is probably too good a bargain to use points. They are tooooo precious! Trying to gather info for a possible trip in May.

Brirvhd - nice to meet you neighbor! I'm a native North Forker myself. See you at the outlets!!

Sheryl

Another option would be to exchange some DVC points with a TUG member. Myrtle Beach in May is an extremely easy trade. Here is the current availability for May 2002 (all are at least 1BR units and affiliated with RCI):

Resort: Location:
3638 Taranova at Seawatch Inn Garden City Beach, SC USA
1532 Beach House Golf and Racquet Club Myrtle Beach, SC USA
5303 Harbour Lights Resort Myrtle Beach, SC USA
1329 Riptide II Beach Club Myrtle Beach, SC USA
0822 Sands Beach Club Myrtle Beach, SC USA
0774 Schooner Beach and Racquet Club Myrtle Beach, SC USA
4322 Sheraton's Broadway Plantation Myrtle Beach, SC USA
1031 The Yachtsman Myrtle Beach, SC USA
0823 A Place at the Beach-Windy Hill North Myrtle Beach, SC USA
1260 Ocean Towers Beach Club North Myrtle Beach, SC USA
1768 Peppertree Ocean Club-Equivest M North Myrtle Beach, SC USA
0620 Peppertree by the Sea-Equivest M North Myrtle Beach, SC USA
5304 Shore Crest Vacation Villas I North Myrtle Beach, SC USA
0446 The Links Golf and Racquet Club North Myrtle Beach, SC USA
5411 American Vacation Resort at Golf Surfside Beach, SC USA
0018 Deercreek Surfside Beach, SC USA
2791 Plantation Golf Villas Surfside Beach, SC USA
6045 Plantation Resort Villas Surfside Beach, SC USA
1797 Plantation Resort of Myrtle Beac Surfside Beach, SC USA
4220 Presidential Villas at Plantatio Surfside Beach, SC USA

According to TUG, the highest rated resorts in Myrtle Beach are:
Fairfield Seawatch 9.75
Sheraton's Broadway Plantation 8.50
Presidential Villas 8.50
Shorecrest 8.33
Fairfield Westwinds 8.11
Harbour Lights 8.00

There is a 2BR unit at Sheraton's Broadway Plantation available beginning May 25th. You might want to consult with Dean on how to best accomplish a swap. One option would be to swap some DVC points (100-150???) for an RCI exchange. This involves some risk and it may violate some RCI rules (uncertain if a swap of weeks constitutes a violation). Another option would be to try and rent a Fairfield owner's May week at Seawatch in exchange for money. You could rent out some of your DVC points to pay for the exchange.

My personal view is that NONE of the possible II exchanges are worthy of your DVC points. I would look for other opportunities (i.e. rent or exchange with an II or RCI member).

Good luck with whatever you choose!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter