Mystery Bruise

DLgal

DIS Veteran
Has this happened to anyone? Last Sunday I woke up and went to use the bathroom. When I sat down, I felt a pain on my upper inner thigh. Upon looking, I was shocked to see a HUGE bruise there. It was about 5 inches long and about an inch thick, traveling vertically down my thigh. It had four areas that were almost round, about the size of a quarter, that looked connected. It was very dark purple/blue. It hurt to the touch, quite badly. I have NO idea how that happened. I was fine when I went to bed the night before.

Now that it has been about 5 days, the bruise is disappearing in a way that is inconsistent with bruises I've had before after injuries. Instead of changing color and fading, it is simply disappearing in some areas, and the normal skin color has returned to those areas. It looks blotchy now and is about 50% gone The remaining bruised areas are a sort of maroon color.

What the heck was this? Anyone have any clue?

Are you certain you didn't walk into anything? I find bruises on my upper thighs sometimes and I think, "what the heck?" Then I remember walking into my dd's bed, which has kind of a sharp edge to it and is just at mid-thigh height.

I have bruised easily most of my life and always have mystery b r u i s e s. Low vitamin C can cause bruising to happen more easily

Well, for my own piece of mind I would have a dr. look at it. I never mind hearing it’s nothing. But I’m a worrier.

Are you certain you didn't walk into anything? I find bruises on my upper thighs sometimes and I think, "what the heck?" Then I remember walking into my dd's bed, which has kind of a sharp edge to it and is just at mid-thigh height.

I'm positive I did not. It's on my inner thigh (like where your thighs touch each other). I can't even imagine a scenario where I would injure that area, except maybe climbing over a railing or something and scraping it on the way over. Nothing like that happened.

I have bruised easily most of my life and always have mystery b r u i s e s. Low vitamin C can cause bruising to happen more easily

Yeah, I always bruise easily, but there is always a reason for a bruise. I bump into things a lot, and bruise my shins and stuff. So, bruising in general doesn't worry me. It's just this particular one. It's the color and severity more than anything. It literally looks like the blood vessels just opened up and blood flooded into the skin surface.

Well, for my own piece of mind I would have a dr. look at it. I never mind hearing it’s nothing. But I’m a worrier.

Yeah, I'm with you, but it's probably too late now. It's already Friday afternoon, and I imagine by Monday, it will be gone seeing how much of it has already disappeared. If it happens again, though, I'm definitely going to go to the doctor, because this is just too weird. I am 39, otherwise healthy. Just had a physical last September and blood work was normal, in regards to platelets, red and white cells, etc. I once had a blood clot scare while taking BCP and my doctor ran me through a battery of tests to check for clotting disorders or other blood disorders and those tests were all negative.

I'm convinced that DH kicked me in his sleep...or I somehow grabbed my own leg in my sleep and squeezed REALLY hard.

You probably had a blood vessel or something burst in your leg. Doesn't even necessarily take a bump. You could have moved your leg funny, or nothing at all. The vertical description sounds just like that's what happened.

I would not worry over this one-time event, but if it happens again then you should go in to see someone.

You probably had a blood vessel or something burst in your leg. Doesn't even necessarily take a bump. You could have moved your leg funny, or nothing at all. The vertical description sounds just like that's what happened.

I would not worry over this one-time event, but if it happens again then you should go in to see someone.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like the most likely scenario.

If I don't have a mystery bruise on me, something is wrong. I bruise if you look at me and am not known for being graceful. Sometimes I'll see a really nasty one and think, well hmmmm, you would think someone would notice if they hit themselves that hard.

Bruises are funny......sometimes you wack yourself and think you're going to die in agony and pain, and you look for signs of an injury a day or two later and there's nothing.

Others times you barely bump into something and a few days later you notice a huge purple bruise and think holy crap! What did I do?

Once, I watched someone I knew, walk down the beach and she had matching four circular bruises in a row on each of her thighs.
Her hubby and her were enjoying their vacation at the beach and these matches his fingertips. Think about that for a bit...

Just wanted to throw that out there just in case. Not trying to be funny or snarky or embarrassing...Just wanted to share a similar situation

Bruises are funny......sometimes you wack yourself and think you're going to die in agony and pain, and you look for signs of an injury a day or two later and there's nothing.

Others times you barely bump into something and a few days later you notice a huge purple bruise and think holy crap! What did I do?

This is my life.

Once, I watched someone I knew, walk down the beach and she had matching four circular bruises in a row on each of her thighs.
Her hubby and her were enjoying their vacation at the beach and these matches his fingertips. Think about that for a bit...

Just wanted to throw that out there just in case. Not trying to be funny or snarky or embarrassing...Just wanted to share a similar situation

I guess they were REALLY enjoying their vacation...

Has this happened to anyone? Last Sunday I woke up and went to use the bathroom. When I sat down, I felt a pain on my upper inner thigh. Upon looking, I was shocked to see a HUGE bruise there. It was about 5 inches long and about an inch thick, traveling vertically down my thigh. It had four areas that were almost round, about the size of a quarter, that looked connected. It was very dark purple/blue. It hurt to the touch, quite badly. I have NO idea how that happened. I was fine when I went to bed the night before.

Now that it has been about 5 days, the bruise is disappearing in a way that is inconsistent with bruises I've had before after injuries. Instead of changing color and fading, it is simply disappearing in some areas, and the normal skin color has returned to those areas. It looks blotchy now and is about 50% gone The remaining bruised areas are a sort of maroon color.

What the heck was this? Anyone have any clue?
Not to be nosy, but are you "older"? I get these little bruises all the time, in places I'm sure there's no way I bumped into something. My doctor said "it's not unusual for older people to have these". Has to do with thinning fat layers under the skin and more fragile blood vessels as we age.

But, for me anyway, they don't usually hurt. I agree, just keep an eye on it. If it happens again, I'd ask the doctor.

OP, this was my first thought too. Any time I've had bruising on my inner thighs it was from getting a bit carried away while enjoying adult activities :) Well, I used to get bruises there from horseback riding too.

Not to be nosy, but are you "older"? I get these little bruises all the time, in places I'm sure there's no way I bumped into something. My doctor said "it's not unusual for older people to have these". Has to do with thinning fat layers under the skin and more fragile blood vessels as we age.

But, for me anyway, they don't usually hurt. I agree, just keep an eye on it. If it happens again, I'd ask the doctor.

I'm 39.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter