MyVMK the new VMK question. Help.

HotforTeacher

Earning My Ears
I used to be a Disboard member many moons ago but I left when VMK closed :( but I recently found out that the game was reopened. I was excited until I figured out that it wasn't Disney and has been opened by a bunch of kids (computer nerds) in eurpoe. I am wondering if anybody here plays it and if it is worth my time. For me it will be more about meeting up with my old friends but if nobody is playing then I don't want to. I am also curious what the enviromnet is like. I canot remember what my old name was on this forum but my ingame name was snowdoubtaboutit and I mostly hung around funfly princesstinytina and gas.

I used to be a Disboard member many moons ago but I left when VMK closed but I recently found out that the game was reopened. I was excited until I figured out that it wasn't Disney and has been opened by a bunch of kids (computer nerds) in eurpoe. I believe some of the people running the game are in London and the others are in California. I might be off on my American region. Amy is the programmer in London and brains behind it all.

I am wondering if anybody here plays it and if it is worth my time. I did play for the first month and then I quit for several reasons. See below.

For me it will be more about meeting up with my old friends but if nobody is playing then I don't want to. I did meet up with 2 old friends. Some of them used to be on the Dis when the game was still alive.

I am also curious what the enviromnet is like. I am not sure what you mean by this. See my comments below. Hopefully that will help.

I canot remember what my old name was on this forum but my ingame name was snowdoubtaboutit and I mostly hung around funfly princesstinytina and gas. I remember your name from the game.

I have responded within your post for your questions. I am going to add my own information as well.

I played for the first month and then quit. Here are my reasons -

• They have a forum for the game. It is nothing but complaints
  • The forum is a bunch of children always fighting and being very hateful
  • The forum is moderated. If you are friends with Kevin anything goes. If you are not then you are targeted. (I have seen it not experience it personally)
  • The moderation and filters in the game are horrible. The added more but it is useless.
  • There is a great deal of favoritism. There are some who are friends with some of the staff and they can say and do anything they want. Including using the most vile of curse words and explicit sexual conversations.
  • Amy and Grizzly, neither real names I am sure, are very mature and try to make the game fun for everybody. Amy is mostly into the programming piece and Grizzly is more about setting rules and helping players. They picked all kids to moderate both the game and forum. All of the hosts are their friends as are the testers.
  • The game is open 24 hours a day with limited moderation.
  • They have another kid (16 yrs old I think) that is involved and he has no idea what he is doing. He is buddy buddy with some people and then he tries to censor everybody else. (I have seen this on the forum) He just walks around in the game showing off his rare that is available to staff. Kevin offers no real help to anybody.

I appreciated what Amy had done, but I honestly hope Disney shuts it down. I bet that sounds cruel. I am not happy about the branding and name being tarnished with this kind of behavior in the game.

They picked all kids to moderate both the game and forum. All of the hosts are their friends as are the testers.

Just a minor correction, they did not pick all kids to moderate. I know for a fact one of the moderators is an adult (and no, it's not me).

As for the rest of the comments, I can't say I have personally seen the favoritism, but it is true that the majority of the people running the game are younger. I for one am glad to have the game back, but you have to realize it's not the same. The team running the game is not Disney, they are doing the best they can for who they are. Remember they are volunteers running the site and receiving no financial benefit at all. I'm sure they are losing money for the site/server costs.

Several people have said it's just not the same as the "real" VMK, which is true. If you can meet up with your old friends you may be able to recapture some of the magic you had. Just like anything in life, I find it helpful to focus on the things I enjoy in MyVMK and ignore or stay away from the things I don't.

The game is not the same. That is the best way to sum it up, really. The game is not Disney whatsoever. The team that has reopened it has made it all about being rich and gain.

It is correct that the vast majority of the people running the game, moderating and testing are kids. That alone will ensure this game is never ran like Disney's VMK.

For the most part, the game is very childish. Jr Highish. Unless you are hanging out with people you know, the content of the conversations are generally sexual, idolizing Amy, anti-Christian, very "odd" role play or complaining about Kevin.

There has been rumor that the people running the show plan to add non-Disney items into the game so that it is no longer Disney; however it is still their lands, rides, clothing, coding, etc. I am wondering how much longer Disney will allow their branding/name to be associated with such behavior.

I haven't run into a lot of jr high behavior. And most of the ppl I've spoken with have been adults. Perhaps that is the luck of the draw.

I'm enjoying it.

The game is not the same. That is the best way to sum it up, really. The game is not Disney whatsoever. The team that has reopened it has made it all about being rich and gain.

It is correct that the vast majority of the people running the game, moderating and testing are kids. That alone will ensure this game is never ran like Disney's VMK.

For the most part, the game is very childish. Jr Highish. Unless you are hanging out with people you know, the content of the conversations are generally sexual, idolizing Amy, anti-Christian, very "odd" role play or complaining about Kevin.

There has been rumor that the people running the show plan to add non-Disney items into the game so that it is no longer Disney; however it is still their lands, rides, clothing, coding, etc. I am wondering how much longer Disney will allow their branding/name to be associated with such behavior.

I have to agree with this. It's like they took the worst parts of the community from VFK and placed it into MyVMK. As for the "economy", you have to mass clone and play Fireworks 24/7 in order to be considered "rich", and people still complain when items go offsale.

It does feel very cliquey, and I do not feel comfortable having my siblings play the game if sexual conversations and inappropriate staff members persist.

Sadly, I was looking at some of my old VMK photos, and in a lot of them, I looked at the person I was selecting and wondered "who in the world was that?" and really realized that I am growing up and that MyVMK is nothing compared to the actual VMK.

I have not experienced any bad behaviour yet which I am thankful for. However I usually keep to myself and just like to design rooms. Maybe we could come up with some sort of way to have a dis boards 'hang out space' if we all knew the name of the room we could hang out there and know it was a safe environment :) just a thought..

I haven't had any issues...but if there is drama, I know there is another room I can move to. It is kind of funny running into people that used to play when they were 10 and are now like, 19. I don't care about the economy...I purchase what amuses me.
I guess the difference is that not as many people that I know play, and new items come out sporadically and you kind of notice what items are missing and which arent'.

Kind of like reading a book you already read...you know what will happen but you enjoy it anyway.

-ppiglett

I love playing MyVmk. All my old Vmk friends are on there and it is amazing seeing how people interact now. There's no more of the silly "Are you taken?" stuff. Most ofthe players are in their 20s, if not older, though there are still some younger kids on there so it's a family friendly site.

I think it's wonderful, plus it's free if you want to try it out. I don't have one negative thing to say about it at all.

-Flips

I'm really happy that MyVMK has been reopened as it gives us original VMK fanatics the opportunity to relive the game especially with the games and room building. :worship: I personally wouldn't let a child play it though - It isn't censored enough and have witnessed a couple of times where inappropriate conversations have started, I'm an adult so I just ignored it but I wouldn't want a child to be involved with the conversations that a lot of the players have. The main area of problem is the Pirates Game, I have no idea why but large groups of them tend to stay in the lobby and have weird inappropriate conversations while playing the Pirates Game.

It has it's pros and cons, It's nice for a couple of weeks to look back on old times - But that's it. I don't have the same addiction as I had when the original VMK was open. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!