• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MYW Ticket Upgrade to AP

JJ721

Next year for sure....
I purchased 5 adult 10-day MYW passes with the no expiration option for our trip last January. We used 6 days, and I was planning on using the remaining four on our trip next June. However, we have added a trip next January, so now I am planning on getting APs with the DVC discount and a DDE. My questions are:

Can I exchange the unused portion of the MYW tix to purchase our APs?
How much credit would I get (40% of the original cost?).
Can I only do this at Guest Services?
If I have to wait until we arrive at GS, does that rule out the DDE, which needs to ordered ahead of time?

I guess the worst that can happen is that if I can't cash in the 4 days, I can save them for a rainy day.

I'm not sure exactly how this will work with the MYW passes. I'd expect you'd lose out on the none expiration costs as a minimum. Look at Deb Wills site . If you can swing it, I'd just buy the AP and save the tickets since they never expire. I'd estimate that on about half our trips I've bought new tickets even though I had everything I needed sitting in my travel wallet. Why, because it was the best long term option. Granted we have access to FL resident specials and it seems most of our trips over the last few years have corresponded to the Play 4 days or similar promotions.

Why don't you use the MYW tickets in Jan. 06 and wait until June 06 to buy your annual passes? That way your passes would be good until June 07. Just a thought ...

The only place you can upgrade passes is at Guest Services at one of the parks or Downtown Disney.

I upgraded my MYW tickets in September. They will give you credit for the 4 days you have remaining, including the price amount for the "no expiration" option. Something you need to consider though, is the fact that the date will be effective (backdated) from the first day you used your MYM ticket....not the day you change them to an AP. I would think that in most cases, it would not make sense to upgrade these unless you had just used them within a month. In my case, they were never used. I had purchased the MYW passes for upcoming/unplanned trips. They originally backdated the expiration date to when I had "bought" the passes. I had to point out to them that since they were never used, the annual renewal date should be 1 year from the upgrade date.
On a side note....having an AP is a wonderful feeling. Living about a 7 hour drive from WDW doesn't seem so far anymore.... :rotfl2:

thegoof said:
I upgraded my MYW tickets in September. They will give you credit for the 4 days you have remaining, including the price amount for the "no expiration" option. Something you need to consider though, is the fact that the date will be effective (backdated) from the first day you used your MYM ticket....not the day you change them to an AP. I would think that in most cases, it would not make sense to upgrade these unless you had just used them within a month. In my case, they were never used. I had purchased the MYW passes for upcoming/unplanned trips. They originally backdated the expiration date to when I had "bought" the passes. I had to point out to them that since they were never used, the annual renewal date should be 1 year from the upgrade date.
On a side note....having an AP is a wonderful feeling. Living about a 7 hour drive from WDW doesn't seem so far anymore.... :rotfl2:
The CM should not backdate the AP or PAP when you are doing an upgrade (I am using upgrade in the technical, "Disney-speak" sense). A true upgrade is when you get 100% credit for the original purchase price of the MYW ticket. If you have already used a portion of the MYW ticket, you must do the upgrade with 14 days of the first use of the ticket to get full credit for the price you paid for the MYW ticket. When you upgrade a partially used MYW ticket within 14 days of the first use (true upgrade), the AP or PAP is backdated to the first day of use.

When you upgrade an unused MYW ticket, the AP or PAP should be dated the day you do the transaction.

You cannot do an upgrade if it has been longer than 14 days from the first use of the MYW ticket. You can do a dollar credit transaction, though if you want to apply the remaining value of the ticket to the purchase of a new ticket.

What the OP wants to do is apply the remaining value of a MYW ticket to the purchase of a new AP or PAP. (In "Disney-speak", the OP is doing a "dollar credit" transaction). In those cases, the AP year starts on the day the remaining value of the MYW ticket is used to buy the AP.

JJ721 said:
If I have to wait until we arrive at GS, does that rule out the DDE, which needs to ordered ahead of time?
No. You can call DDE from somewhere on site after you get your AP or PAP. (The DDE office is only open M-F from 9 - 5 Eastern, though. So if you arrive on the weekend, you'll have to wait until Monday to call). Ask the DDE CM to arrange to send a temporary temporary card to the GS booth at the EPCOT main entrance. If you call early enough in the day, the card will ber waiting for you after 5:30 pm. You can use the temp card for this trip. The "regular" card will be mailed to your home for futre trips.

Read more about the DDE here.

Best wishes -

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll let you know what happens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter