Nashville or Memphis

Also, the Tomato Festival dates aren't announced yet for 2018, but its amazing and very Nashville. It's in August. We also have the pretty unique Hot Chicken Festival July 4th weekend if you do July.

The crowds in ATL make me give the edge to Chattanooga, but both are lovely. When I lived in Atlanta I wasn't that far away actually.

We tried once to get into Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon and it was a no-go. Both times we’ve gone in, we were there before opening & on a week day. Most recently, we were the very first ones in. In both cases, it was just getting crowded when we were about to leave anyway.

That said, we’ve never encountered much of a crowd at Chattanooga.

We tried once to get into Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon and it was a no-go. Both times we’ve gone in, we were there before opening & on a week day. Most recently, we were the very first ones in. In both cases, it was just getting crowded when we were about to leave anyway.

That said, we’ve never encountered much of a crowd at Chattanooga.

Oh, we'd know we were trying to buy tickets on busy Saturday/Sunday afternoons. It'd usually be a decision we'd make while brunching, ya know? Unbelievably, we always had something to do in Atlanta...lol.

OP - it also occurred to me that the Frist has an area just dedicated for kids. Not sure what goes on in there but it might be worth checking out. Again, it's pretty cheap, and if your kids will let you go threw the exhibits, you might get a good one.

Personally, I would much prefer Nashville over Memphis, unless there are specifics at Memphis that you are interested in.

Also, in a full week.. one could travel over to the Smokey Mountains.
It is a bit of a drive, but doable.

Thank you all for your replies. DH and I have looked into it further and have decided we are going to go to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area and go to Dollywood and Smoky Mountains. We are really looking forward to it

You and your kids will love this area! Stay in Gatlinburg if you like being able to walk to restaurants, shops, attractions, and tasting rooms. Pigeon Forge is where Dollywood and a lot of the dinner shows are, but it’s really not walkable at all. I adored Gatlinburg!

Thank you all for your replies. DH and I have looked into it further and have decided we are going to go to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area and go to Dollywood and Smoky Mountains. We are really looking forward to it

Stay in Gatlinburg along the strip or a block off it. Parking is a witch there and you have to pay for it unless you're staying there. The strip on that end of Gatlinburg can be walked. I don't suggest staying up near Hillbilly golf. That end has decent parking anyway whereas the other end only has the paid lots unless you're staying there. The walk is a bit too far to the other end. Pigeon Forge can't be walked.
Plus, Gatlinburg is a more pleasant place to stay.
There are also the trollies to get around Gatlinburg if the walk is just a bit too far.

We prefer to stay in Pigeon Forge, and not right on that 'walkable' strip in Gatlinburg.
You can still go and do Gatlinburg while you are there. You can take the tram if you want, and check out the main street, buy candy, eat supper, and take in the vibe on a Saturday.
For a family, look into Mainstay Suites (large room, kitchenette with full fridge), Dolly's Dreammore Resort. (less spacious rooms, but very nice, and perks to dolly's parks)
We have stayed at both of these more than once.
Dollywood is great.
And, in the summer, Splash Country too!
If you want to take advantage of perks, like possible early admission, look into staying at Dreammore or other Dollywood affiliated hotel/resort.

There are threads here on the DIS about vacationing in this area.
And, of course, trip advisor is great too.

Happy planning!

IME, the Gatlinburg vs. Pigeon Forge debate depends on how much you're willing to drive on vacation.

DH & I live in an urban area where we don't have to drive far for anything other than work. Going to work is another story. Our traffic is horrible. Both of us despise driving on vacation. We prefer to vacation in areas that are easily walkable, have convenient public transit or are well represented by Uber, Lyft or cabs. We prefer Gatlinburg.

Our extended family live in a rural area in a different state. They have to drive 20 minutes to the grocery store & limited fast food options. Walmart is further. Going to a mall takes at least an hour. They are used to driving everywhere & prefer it over any other transportation option on vacation. They all prefer Pigeon Forge.

IMO, PF is probably better for families & Gatlinburg for adults, but either could enjoy both locations. To hit all the kid friendly spots you'll have to drive from one town to the other anyway. You'll also need to drive from either location, if you want to see the Great Smoky Mountains, although Gatlinburg is more convenient to the National Park. Fortunately, the drive between the two towns isn't all that far. The traffic can be horrible though. I suggest researching to see which town has the majority of attractions you want to see & staying there. You're going to have to spend some time driving either way.

PS: If you have the time, Cherokee is also worth seeing.

Last edited:
we are going to go to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area and go to Dollywood and Smoky Mountains
While I'm a Disney loyalist I've heard good things about Dollywood. I used to live in Louisville, KY and the Smoky Mountains were very popular with the locals for a not too distant vacation trip. Have fun!

Memphis...sun studios is great as is Graceland. Bial Street st night is a blast. The Peabody hotel is pricey but you can watch the ducks come down from their penthouse every morning in the elevator to trumpet music to spend day in fountain and go back about 5 pm. Kids love it. And the bar makes great martinis for the adults. No charge to watch.

Nashville...lots of music venues but Gaylord’s hotel is great. Beautiful gardens. Lots to look st. You can get some good deals

Thank you all. I looked into the Dream Resort but so pricey. Right now I am holding the Twin Mountain Inn but keep looking for other options. The Twin Mountain Inn got really good reviews. I heard Cades Cove was a great place to see

While I'm a Disney loyalist I've heard good things about Dollywood. I used to live in Louisville, KY and the Smoky Mountains were very popular with the locals for a not too distant vacation trip. Have fun!

We have been very loyal with Disney also, going every year for 20+ years but the prices are getting ridiculous and there is so much more to see

Yes, Dreammore can be pricey!
Prices in this area in the Summer, and in October fall season can be crazy!
If you think you want to try to swing it at all, look for price breaks, and book thru one of the online travel web-sites that have the coupon codes. These can be 15% or more. And the resort does participate and is included. This is how DH and I have stayed overnight there a couple of times.

Cades Cove is great!!!!
Note: I believe that early mornings, a couple of times a week, the road is blocked for bicycles only.
The key to doing any of this in the busy season is to get there (or any of the mountain/nature destinations EARLY.
You will really want to beat the crowds.
And, on your way out, you can stop at the swimming hole there near Townsend, not too far outside of the Cades Cove Park.

It sounds like you are travelling on a budget, but I will just post what I usually say, that Splash Country, Dixie Stampede, and anything 'DOLLY' is some of the best in the area, and well worth it.

Happy Planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!