Nashville - what to see/do - best hotel

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
My DS loves music and history
He would love for us to spend a week in Nashville

suggestions of what to see/do and where to stay
thank you

DH and I just returned from a few days in Nashville. We stayed at the Omni Hotel right downtown (it is super pricey, he had a business trip and I tagged along otherwise we would NOT have stayed there). Downtown Nashville is really quite small. The Omni is literally attached to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum but there are other hotels within a couple of blocks that would be just as convenient. There is a Hilton, a Renaissance, and some other form of Marriott that I can't remember just to name a few.

The Country Music Hall of Fame is a must do. The Johnny Cash museum is a couple blocks away and was much less hokey than I thought it would be. The Ryman auditorium is also right downtown and was hokier than I thought it would be. Overpriced ($25/person!!!) and really not that much to look at. If given the chance I would try to catch a show there rather than do a tour. The honky tonks on South Broadway can also be fun.

There was a recent thread on this that should be helpful:) Nashville is a popular place these days (and we have the traffic to prove it).

Is your DH into music or into country music? Nashville has both. Very different scenes. I'm native and have literally never been to a single honky tonk or any country music related anything, but yet, there is tons of music. Regardless of musical taste, the Ryman is a must do, catch a show there if you can.

Hotels depend so much on preferences, and I obviously don't stay at many local hotels, but the rooftop bar (L27) at the Westin was really lovely when we very recently visited and the hotel looked great.

The Ryman auditorium is also right downtown and was hokier than I thought it would be. Overpriced ($25/person!!!) and really not that much to look at. If given the chance I would try to catch a show there rather than do a tour.

Blasphemy! Although I've not done the tour there since a childhood field trip. The shows there are amazing and it's a shrine for many, and my very favorite in Nashville. I'm going to see 2 shows there just in April. Would have seen 3, but I'm too old to see back to back shows. Hope OP checks out the calendar.

Probably not helpful, but for some reason I *always* manage to get lost in Nashville. On the highways, I mean. Normally I have a really good sense of direction, but that city is my bete noire. What seems to get me is that they often use multiple highway number designations for the same stretch of road.

For hotels, I like the Aloft West End, especially if it is a family trip.

Time of year brings a variety of what to do in town as far as activities. I've stayed at the Omni for staycations and have nothing but good to say about it. There's several new hotels going up near it and the construction proves it. :crazy:

As far as things to do I recommend the Hall of Fame, Opry tour, Ryman tour. You have the Johnny Cash Museum, George Jones.

Bluebird is a good one if you can get a reservation.

gaylord opryland resort- we loved it there!

It's fun to visit even if you don't stay! They also have a new indoor water park.

For history, sites that are often overlooked are the Carter House in Franklin and Stones River National Battlefield in Murfreesboro - both roughly 30 miles outside of Nashville. Both towns also have cute downtown areas with boutiques and dining.

going for the first time for a wedding in June, my advice from what people tell me, book early, we booked 6 months out and some hotels were already sold out

Spent 4 days at the Westin downtown 2 years ago. My daughter is arriving there tomorrow to spend a week. Its a beautiful hotel. We really enjoyed Monells in Germantown for some good home cooked food. I loved that they don't allow cell phones at the table. Its family style and you will sit with others. They have a different special they serve with sides each day so its not like you can order exactly what you want. The fried chicken was amazing as was the pot roast. We went a few different times. Make sure to visit Two Old Hippies which is a retail store and they have guitar vault which has tons of guitars. They also offer free live music many nights. They have a stage in the store. My daughter's MIL owns it. Its a cool place to visit. Its in the Gulch area.

Downtown Franklin is a lovely little area.

MJ

Honestly you're better off going the AirBnB route in Nashville these days. Hotel prices in our fair city (even at discount motels) rival prices in New York or Chicago! There are any number of AirBnB options in the East Nashville area that put you in a prime location to really sight see and visit.

As to where to eat there are more options than I could easily go into here! Each weekend there are at least two or three new local restaurants opening. Of the top of my head I would say some of the best options would be Otaku Ramen in the Gulch which is fantastic Japanese ramen and other dishes, Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint which is the best of its kind in the city, Prince's Hot Chicken if you want to visit and partake in what has become a Nashville tradition...and so many others.

You’re running into hotel blocks more than likely. Hotels are expensive though a lot of people are staying in the outlying cities because of it

Yeah that's getting into peak travel time in Nashville so not only are you going to see hotels having limited availability, but their rates are going to be even worse than usual.

Again I cannot advocate for AirBnB enough! I have no skin in the game (meaning I don't own one or know anyone who does) but I do know it's the better option.

My DS loves music and history
He would love for us to spend a week in Nashville

suggestions of what to see/do and where to stay
thank you

If you like country music, Nashville is for you. IF you like any other kind of music well Nashville has that too but not in better quantities or quality than most big cities. The Country Music Hall of Fame is really nice and the Johnny Cash museum is cool too. The restaurant scene is improving though Nashville doesn't crack the top 10 there.

History. You can see a replica of the parthenon as it looked before it was destroyed. Better than the real thing actually imo because it's not blown to pieces and you don't have to deal with the problems of Greece to go see it. Unfortunately many of the home tours in the area such as the Hermitage won't give you anything in the way of history. It's here is the chair, here is the study. Andrew Jackson built this (hint, no, the slaves did.) The real meat of history is left out. It's still fun to tour them though. There is Traveler's rest, Bellmeade, Belmont, The Hermitage, Rock Castle and others.
Your son might also be interested in Mansker station which features the historic Bowen house and a replica of a log station complete with folks in period dress.

Not history per say but you can tour the mansion built for Barbara Mandrell at Fontenel.
People mentioned the Ryman. I've seen all the back stage areas there are to see. IMO the tour is over priced. If there is a concert there you like go see it. The best seats in the house are actually upper deck. Some of the lower deck seats toward the back are obstructed. In fact way too many of them are.

Hotels. Opryland is pretty nice. As for the new mini water park you have to book the package. You can't just pay for the park without staying at the hotel for the time being at least. We'll see if that changes down the road. Nor can you add it even if you are staying if it is already booked up. They have a conservatory and the like too. The drawback is it is not where the majority of things you want to see and do are. But the reality is you're going to likely need a car anyway. Public transportation is extremely bad and the historic areas are well all over the place. Most of the downtown hotels near the country music HOF are decent enough but at times can be prohibitively expensive. IF you're looking to cut expenses a bit, and let's face it, sometimes those downtown hotels can be out of price range for many of us, I would suggest Mt. Juliet. Hotels are relatively new there and reasonably priced with a plethora of chain restaurants nearby. Avoid the Trinity Lane and Dickerson Road area for hotels at all costs.

Last edited:
I believe the first week in June is the CMA festival when thousands upon thousands upon thousands of music fans across the country converge upon Nashville for the week long festival. While in town, hot chicken should be on your bucket list.

I believe the first week in June is the CMA festival when thousands upon thousands upon thousands of music fans across the country converge upon Nashville for the week long festival. While in town, hot chicken should be on your bucket list.

CMA Fest is June 6th through the 9th this year.

A lot of good advice on hotels. I would add that if the price is too steep on the downtown hotels you can get a better deal on hotels in the Vanderbilt and midtown area. By moving beyond the downtown area bounded by I40 and the river the prices drop a little and you are still close to downtown.

If you are interested in Civil War history I recommend the Carter House and Carnton in nearby Franklin. There is also a brand new state museum near the Farmer’s Market.

I disagree about restaurants. There are so many really good restaurants that it would be hard to pick a few. I love Josephine’s, City House, Etch, Henrietta Red, Rolf and Daughter but could go on and on. We eat out a lot!

Honestly you're better off going the AirBnB route in Nashville these days. Hotel prices in our fair city (even at discount motels) rival prices in New York or Chicago! There are any number of AirBnB options in the East Nashville area that put you in a prime location to really sight see and visit.

As to where to eat there are more options than I could easily go into here! Each weekend there are at least two or three new local restaurants opening. Of the top of my head I would say some of the best options would be Otaku Ramen in the Gulch which is fantastic Japanese ramen and other dishes, Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint which is the best of its kind in the city, Prince's Hot Chicken if you want to visit and partake in what has become a Nashville tradition...and so many others.

Yes to Martin's Bar-B-Que!!!

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter