National vs. Avis

plutospup

<b><font color=f95602>Member of the 'Jambo! WildBu
Last time at MCO I used Avis- this time National (EA) on 11/30. To reach EA do I still have to take the tunnel to the parking garage, and then go up the elevator? Do I still have to check in at the airport desk? Obviously, I've never used National EA, but they did offer a better rate for a full size (Disney Club discount) than Avis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The National desk is on the lower level with the other car rentals - just about as far opposite the luggage carousels as you can be. Once you get through at the desk, it's a short walk out the door, up the escalator and the National lot is just to the right. Lots of signs so you can't miss it.
I belong to National's Emerald Aisle and have always gotten the luggage and then headed down the terminal (toward the National desk but not quite that far), gone out the door, across the street and up the escalator to the National lot. The attendant at the exit gate will check your ID, etc. when you leave. Emerald Aisle definitely makes it easier in Orlando!!! You avoid the line at the desk and are quickly on your way.
Will be there 11/13 for a few days - just made the reservation with National yesterday and got a really good rate (again!) Enjoy!!!!

I've used both, National (counter and Emerald Choice), and Avis (counter). I really like Avis, I think they really do "try harder". We reserved a luxury car with both, with National we got a Buick Park Avenue (had a choice of 2 on the Emerald Choice luxury aisle), and with Avis we got a loaded Cadillac Seville. The Park Avenues at National were very beat up, and they only included minimum amenities. The Seville at Avis was in great shape, and had everything except a sunroof (OnStar and Heated seats included).

Thanks 4407mark, and CaliD. I just want to make sure I have this straight...Since I'm an Emerald Club member I don't have to check in at the desk. Just go to their lot. BTW is there an easier way to get to their lot than crossing the busy street? Along with the luggage, I'll have DD5 in tow.

Emerald Club can go right out to the garage.

If you go from level 2 (baggage claim) to level 1 (car rental/ground transportation counters), there is a walkway under the road. You then take an elevator up to the garage (depending which car company, you'll go to floor 1 or 2).

We'll take the walkway/tunnel to the elevator. I can just imagine trying to walk across several lanes of traffic with several suitcases, and DD5... just like a bad sitcom!

4407 mark.....the description you give for EA must be for the Terminal A.....since EA is on the ground floor and to the left as you cross over using the crosswalk at Terminal B

pluto sup ....the traffic has to stop for pedestrian traffic i think.....the cross walk is clearly defined at both terminals.....if you use the tunnel you will have to go down one level from baggage claim

EA is on second level in Terminal A and first level ( ground level ) in Terminal B parking garages

We always arrive at terminal B. We go to level 1 (baggage claim is level 2) and use the crosswalk, to use the tunnel I think you would have to go down another level (level T?), it's under the street. The crosswalk is only over 2 small lanes and there is a stop sign. We always rent a luggage cart in baggage claim and haven't had any difficulty crossing. The traffic there is mostly shuttle busses. We've used the tunnel a couple of times on the return and it seems like a long detour but it might be safer with a child.

http://www.orlandoairports.net:/goaa/arrive/arrive.htm

lawgs, I believe what I described is Terminal A - I have always flown TWA/American and I believe it's Terminal A. The street is just two (maybe three) lanes and they do stop for pedestrians. Can sympathize with plutospup - I make the trip with DW, and DS 8 and DS 7 and luggage.

Be forewarned that the condition of cars in National's fleet has deteriorated (in my experience anyway) ever since they filed for bankruptcy. They don't have the cash to invest in new cars as frequently as their competitors. Also, a full size at Avis would be a Buick Century/Regal or comparable. At National they've changed the definition of "Full Size" to include Chevy Malibus and Misubishi Gallants which certainly are not as nice and do not hold as much luggage as the Regals, Grand Prixs and Intrigues that used to be typical of the EA.

I've been an Emerald Club member for almost 15 years. Within the last year I've noticed a big deterioration in the cars at National and have switched to Avis Preferred for my last 5 rentals. You don't get a choice of cars since they have all of your paperwork ready for you, but the cars I have rented at Avis have been newer, nicer, and in better condition.

Debbie, you just made me think, LOL. For the underground tunnel, you go from level 1 (car rental/ground transportation) to a down escalator, which is a lower level that the tunnel is on. Then, under the street, to the elevator bank, and up to whichever level you need to go to. :)

Does anyone else cross the street (Airport Road?) between Terminal B and the Garage B? I have MANY memories of trekking luggage across that street! LOL

Last December we had gotten a skycab to help us out. We traveled with another family and it made much more sense to do this with all the bags we had.

I do remember going into an elevator after getting our bags. Me and my friend had the 4 kids in one and the 2 DH's went with the luggage and skycab in the other. We did go outside and cross a street, but it was not a busy one. I only remember seeing a shuttle bus go by. There was a stop sign for traffic so the crosswalk was very safe.

I do know that having the skycab made a big difference. Well worth the $ in my opinion. I think we each tipped him $10. He was a huge help(along with being a saint!)with the emerald aisle. Took us about 10 minutes to pick out cars and was not in any rush. Also gave us a good tip about not taking a car with out of state plates. Have more of a chance of being pulled over according to him. We took his advise because we didn't want any more trouble on the road than my driving alone was going to cause.

I also want to mention that we did have to kids in stollers during all of this so it was also easier than having to chase them around. Lollipop bribery is a wonderful thing!;)

we used national this time and got a camry which had a very large trunk space.....and was a nice car to drive

we would use avis more if they did not discriminate so much on rates......they do not have the same rate for everyone....if you put in that you are from canada the rate for a car may jump almost as much as 7$ USD a day over the rate they quote someone from the USA...

asked someone from Avis why the policy but they could not give me an answer......but Avis is owned by Cendant which also owns Century 21 and is constantly buying up other travel related concerns such as lodging.com ....they also own RCI exchange company for timeshare exchanges.....so maybe they figure they can charge what ever they wish.....

just my opinion

Cali D, we always cross the road between baggage claim and the garage, even with a skycap. I didn't even know there was a tunnel at MCO! I remember being frustrated riding the escalator from the terminal's gate level down to baggage claim and seeing the rental car counters on a floor you couldn't get to by escalator (or at least that's how it appeared to me).

There are escalators between levels 2 (baggage claim) and 1 (car rental). There is also an escalator from level 1 to 3 (ticketing), and I have have often looked for one between 1 and 2, but I don't recall if I ever found it (I know there have been many times I've looked for it, and always end up infront of United's Ticket Counter!).

just wanted to revisit this thread.

so... Avis sounds great, from what i've read on this board.
however, for our dates, the rate from Avis is $25 higher than the National rate. (before taxes & fees).

i'd like opinions from those of you who've rented from both Avis and National:

is it worth it to pay an extra $25 just to rent from Avis instead of National?

disneyberry
I have used both, like both, but, since I have no real loyalty to one or another, I would go with the least expensive rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter