Natural pesticides...add yours.

amid chaos

DIS Veteran
I read on another thread how some of you were using natural pesticides like garlic and dried blood.

I figure we can all use this type of information so tell us...what do you use?

For slugs you can buy a natural product called Esgar-go. I have also heard of crunching up egg shells. They don't like squirming over them.

Great Idea!

One of our favorites:

Bug-Be-Gone (a Jerry Baker recipe)

1 Cup Murphy's oil soap
1 Cup Antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup chewing tobacco juice*

Mix all of the above together in a 20 gallon hose end sprayer, and soak your plants to the point of runoff.

*to make the juice, take three fingers worth of chewing bobacco from the package, place it in the toe of a nylon stocking, and place the stocking in a gallon of boiling water. Let the tobacco steep until the water is dark brown.

Jerry Baker should put out a non edible reciepe book! He has so many useful potions using everyday household items!! He makes it look so easy :rolleyes:

I have a problem with ants coming in the family room door. A friend of mine suggested cinnamon. It works wonders! I can sprinkle as much as I want and I don't have to worry about my dog getting into it. That was my biggest concern.
We have a huge slug population in the front garden. I'm going to try that. Thanks!

Around here they suggest putting a shallow pan of beer out to catch slugs. I guess they like it and when they get in the pan they drown. :eek:
For ants, we found that baby powder is good. You sprinkle a thick line around what ever you don't want the ants in and they will not pass through. We used to do it with our dog food. I'd circle his bowl and they wouldn't get into it. We have an awful time with ants here in south Ga.

Snuggles:

I also use the "beer solution" for slugs. Up here in Illinois, I take a shallow pan OR a used plastic tub (like from margarine) and dig it into the ground until the lip of the tub is about level with the ground. Put about 1 or 2 inches of beer in it and those slugs make a B-line for it!
- and they die "happy" too!:D

I've used the beer bait for slugs, but it attracted racoons & they destroyed the slug traps. If you get a sick pleasure out of watching the slugs die you can sprinkle a little salt on they & watch them turn to slime. Too much salt can contaminate your garden though so be careful. You can also hand pick the slugs & put them in some soapy water.

I read in "Mother Earth News" a long time ago that marigolds repel certain insects like bean beetles and flying aphids because of their strong odor. I always plant a border of these around my vegetable garden and never seem to have a problem with these insects. It looks pretty and certainly doesn't hurt!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter