Navigating the Fort - Newb Question

Part-Time Paradise

Is it camping season yet?
Hello all. I've been a lurker here for a few weeks, but so much good content, I needed to jump on in the water. I'm not a WDW rookie, but we bought a trailer last year and we're staying at FW in June 2020. I've already booked my ADRs and I'm pretty stoked.

My question is getting around FW by foot or bike (or maybe even golf cart). On FW's cartoon map, the roads, loop roads, exercise trail, etc are clearly marked on the map. However, reading through pages and pages about FW and looking at Google Maps satellite view, there are other trails out there. Sometimes a cut through from loop to loop or other trails that can let you get away from the crowds and enjoy some quiet.

Is there a map (official or unofficial) that shows these trails?

The map in the Information thread at the top of the listings has the best map.

Here it is.

new-map-jpg.315552

The sidewalks and paved paths are the thinner white lines. There aren't a lot of "back trails" at the Fort. Even less now that the road/path beyond the group camping area (past the 2000 loop) and the road to WL are closed with Reflections construction.

j

The map in the Information thread at the top of the listings has the best map.

Thank you for the reply. I agree this is one of the most thorough maps I've seen and your point about Reflections also makes sense. However, it still doesn't appear complete.

An example: If you look at the Google Maps satellite view between the 1700 and 1900 loops (approx 28.402459, -81.555015) there is a path between the two loops. It is not shown on the cartoon map you referenced.

My desire to know is probably overkill. I'm excited for the trip and I have fun looking a maps and imagery. I'm sure we'll figure it all out when we get there. I'm just a nerd like that.

🤓

An example: If you look at the Google Maps satellite view between the 1700 and 1900 loops (approx 28.402459, -81.555015) there is a path between the two loops. It is not shown on the cartoon map you referenced.

My desire to know is probably overkill. I'm excited for the trip and I have fun looking a maps and imagery. I'm sure we'll figure it all out when we get there. I'm just a nerd like that.

I understand the nerdiness. That's my space too.

Between 1700 and 1900 is a Comfort Station that has a paved sidewalk from each loop leading to it - using them together is a "cut-through". One is also between 1500-1600, 1100-2100, 900-1000, 1200-1300, etc. that I know of with paved walks through.

There are some super secret back-channels that I have been known to use.

If you are in the Tent 2000 loop and need to get down to the FW boat dock, cut across to the Creekside Meadow group campsite, take the wooden bridge across the ditch that leads to 900, but then turn left and go through the woods behind 900, 800 (long way) which is wooded but wide open, and comes out in 700 in the pet walk area across the old Fort Wilderness Railroad track bed. Walk down the 700 loop road to the dock.

There are sidewalks along the main roads (Fort Wilderness Trail and Big Pine Road) but there are a few other paths. The road behind 300 and the canal winds along the shore of Bay Lake behind 200 and 100 to the Fort beach. Exploring is fun.

Bama Ed

All that said though, I'm scheduled for a FHU loop. I'm burning holes in the imagery looking for a path from 1700/1900 down to the sidewalk by the hitch / unhitch area to get down to the Outpost. I'm not anti-internal bus. I just like fitness and options as well as my nerdiness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter