NBA at Walt Disney World

One rumor suggests NBA takes over AKL. DVC members booked in Jambo being relocated to Kindai.
It's an interesting idea but late September to December are among the most popular times of the year for DVC. I doubt there is sufficient availability at any DVC resort for these months.

Another possibility is dispersing anyone bumped from DVC Jambo to other on-property Deluxe Resorts.

But if you check DVC for reservations, there is plenty of availability in July and August, and Kadani has room of all types available.

There are many, many nights from September - December where Kidani is showing no availability.

That doesn’t preclude Disney from asking people to move to other resorts. But there are also periods where literally every studio at WDW (Thanksgiving) is currently booked.

I’m not going to fully analyze this until we know more. But I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that Disney would deliberately reduce Villa inventory for periods when there is excess demand.

There are many, many nights from September - December where Kidani is showing no availability.

That doesn’t preclude Disney from asking people to move to other resorts. But there are also periods where literally every studio at WDW (Thanksgiving) is currently booked.

I’m not going to fully analyze this until we know more. But I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that Disney would deliberately reduce Villa inventory for periods when there is excess demand.
There are 0 rooms available at jambo house from June through December. Literally 0. This has to be related to nba or mls.

There are 0 rooms available at jambo house from June through December. Literally 0. This has to be related to nba or mls.

HopperFan just posted this on the Resorts thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/resort-change-by-disney.3802935/page-10

If this holds true and they are closing all values and mods, my money is on NBA to CSR, MLS to POR and they move all general guests to DVC and the deluxes that have DVC sister resorts. It sounds like YC will not open - that may have something to do with the NBA or MLS, but YC only has 600+ rooms, so I'm not sure how that factors into that mix.

HopperFan just posted this on the Resorts thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/resort-change-by-disney.3802935/page-10

If this holds true and they are closing all values and mods, my money is on NBA to CSR, MLS to POR and they move all general guests to DVC and the deluxes that have DVC sister resorts. It sounds like YC will not open - that may have something to do with the NBA or MLS, but YC only has 600+ rooms, so I'm not sure how that factors into that mix.
I’d be shocked if they closed all values and mods. At that point they should’ve just canceled everyone and started over. I do agree that YC likely will not open. I don’t believe the NBA or MLS will stay there either though. It also doesn’t have a DVC component to worry about. They also mentioned the Skyliner in that post. Riviera is still a DVC/Deluxe resort on the Skyliner and the Skyliner would be one of the easiest modes of transportation to socially distance and clean.

Reading about this adds to my stress. Those of us on the Fl coasts go to WDW resorts if we have to evacuate since they don't lose power. It is suppose to be a busy hurricane season this year. Last year a lot of us were able to stay at Grand Destino. Now I'm reading we might be moved from AKL in Nov.? Had that reservation since Feb. I know sports fans don't care as long as there is sports! Not a fan of professional sports.

Those are the resorts that the CMs were recalled for yesterday. But that’s because those resorts are opening 3 weeks earlier than the parks. I wouldn’t read to much into it until we have an official statement, like he said in his post even if that’s the current thinking, everything is changing by the day at TDO.

Reading about this adds to my stress. Those of us on the Fl coasts go to WDW resorts if we have to evacuate since they don't lose power. It is suppose to be a busy hurricane season this year. Last year a lot of us were able to stay at Grand Destino. Now I'm reading we might be moved from AKL in Nov.? Had that reservation since Feb. I know sports fans don't care as long as there is sports! Not a fan of professional sports.
Sports fans will care if it negatively impacts their vacation.

The NBA will be over before Nov, but there might still be other reasons for a resort change.
Hard to tell.

Last edited:

The NBA will be over by November.

Based on what was posted yesterday, the last game of the Finals would be Oct 12th.
That's the latest it could be. The NBA traditionally starts the next round as soon as possible, unlike some other leagues that schedule round start dates. So if there are several series that end in 4 5 or 6 games, that will move the date up.

Those are the resorts that the CMs were recalled for yesterday. But that’s because those resorts are opening 3 weeks earlier than the parks. I wouldn’t read to much into it until we have an official statement, like he said in his post even if that’s the current thinking, everything is changing by the day at TDO.

Good point. I wonder - if MLS takes over one of the mods, wouldn't those recalls be happening soon? Or maybe they are going with one of the DVCs on that recall list? Just thinking out loud!

Good point. I wonder - if MLS takes over one of the mods, wouldn't those recalls be happening soon? Or maybe they are going with one of the DVCs on that recall list? Just thinking out loud!
I would imagine that will happen after an announcement (or leak) of the resort is made. I would expect that to come no later than tomorrow for both MLS and NBA.

Have someone reporting on DVC Fan an August DVC Reservation for Jambo was switched to Kidani... anyone with Summer DVC at Jambo seen a similar change?

I can’t really wrap my head around it yet since I feel any such change would have prompted an announcement or notification. Never heard of DVC making an unannounced change like this.
I would have my pitchfork out if that happened to me.

I would have my pitchfork out if that happened to me.

*IF* Jambo remains closed--for any reason--I suspect it will be driven by economics. The DVC villas represent only about 10-15% of all rooms in Jambo. Thus, operating the resort relies on Disney paying 85-90% of the costs, relative to the number of hotel rooms.

If Disney doesn't need those hotel rooms to accommodate cash guests, you either dramatically increase the amount charged to member dues or just leave the building closed. Neither solution is ideal.

Instead of paying 15% of the costs for front desk, security, transportation, utilities, housekeeping, lifeguards...DVC could be stuck paying 100%, albeit with a smaller number of Cast Members required. Still some increase would be unavoidable.

The unique setup of AKV with both Jambo and Kidani affords some flexibility to consolidate under one roof.

*IF* Jambo remains closed--for any reason--I suspect it will be driven by economics. The DVC villas represent only about 10-15% of all rooms in Jambo. Thus, operating the resort relies on Disney paying 85-90% of the costs, relative to the number of hotel rooms.

If Disney doesn't need those hotel rooms to accommodate cash guests, you either dramatically increase the amount charged to member dues or just leave the building closed. Neither solution is ideal.

Instead of paying 15% of the costs for front desk, security, transportation, utilities, housekeeping, lifeguards...DVC could be stuck paying 100%, albeit with a smaller number of Cast Members required. Still some increase would be unavoidable.

The unique setup of AKV with both Jambo and Kidani affords some flexibility to consolidate under one roof.
Jambo isn't going to remain closed. AKL was on the list of housekeeping staff recalled and the Mara was on the list of F/B personnel recalled. The issue is that they can't just arbitrarily take a resorts worth of DVC rooms out of inventory.

Jambo isn't going to remain closed. AKL was on the list of housekeeping staff recalled and the Mara was on the list of F/B personnel recalled. The issue is that they can't just arbitrarily take a resorts worth of DVC rooms out of inventory.
That doesn’t necessarily explain why DVC rooms aren’t available. Disney could have plans for Jambo. I don’t necessarily think Jambo will be closed to all but maybe just DVC members for a time.

Two separate issues:

- Jambo and Kidani are both under the single umbrella of "Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas." Technically Disney wouldn't be violating any commitments to owners by making one or the other unavailable, assuming there are valid reasons for doing so.

- Disney has access to DVC villa inventory via owned points, member trades and breakage. Is that inventory sufficient to consolidate it all at Jambo? I dunno.

I don't recall ever encountering a situation before where all availability was simply removed at a DVC resort. So we're wading thru uncharted waters, trying to make sense of it all. Maybe it's a computer glitch, or some overly conservative reaction to other IT changes happening behind the scenes.

There is Jambo availability showing after January 1. So this isn't a case where the entire resort is glitched. Someone deliberately removed all inventory through December 31.

If someone suggested that Bay Lake Tower or Saratoga Springs would remain closed, that would not pass the sniff test because owners have legal rights to use those accommodations. But the dual location nature of AKV theoretically allows owners to continue using one facility while the other is unavailable. Whether that actually happens, and what the underlying reasons may be, remains to be seen.

EDIT: Quick addition regarding the employee recalls, Animal Kingdom Lodge includes Kidani. Doesn't necessarily mean they're recalling enough to staff both Kidani and Jambo. Also Mara could be opening to service Kidani guests. They could open the Jambo lobby so people can reach Mara or create some alternative temporary walking route. Or they could use some mobile order + delivery process; order on the MDE app and pick-up at the Jambo Port Cochere.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter