NBA at Walt Disney World

The 6 teams that started the "bubble" below 8th place playoff spots are staying at the Yacht Club. So I assume that would be the first resort to clear out when the playoffs start.

well I was just answering a PP who asked. Sorry to invade your thread with repetitive information then. I'll move along......

They have quite a few resorts remaining closed. Very easy to move guests to the closed resorts, or move the NBA to the closed resorts.

The article specifically mentions the existing resorts will have space (Yacht Club, Grand Floridian) after teams go home. Yeah maybe they move the NBA to the closed resorts...but more than likely, it will be the resort guests being displaced. :headache:

If you were someone staying at one of those two resorts, with reservations planned for September and on, who would end up being displaced to another resort, I can imagine it could be a big deal. Especially if it's someone who has been re-scheduled and re-scheduled and changed resorts already.

Geez, have some empathy.

I don't really see the point of this. Team practice facilities are already open in the local markets and, while they can't do team practices there, they can do individual workouts. I understand these teams haven't practiced together since March, but the 2020-2021 season isn't starting until at least December, possibly later and free agency will start right after this season is over in October. Many of these teams won't even look the same heading into next season. I would bet money on this not happening.

Edited to add: the journalist who wrote that article is already saying the idea is dead in the water according to Woj:

Last edited:
Nope. It’s a resort at Disney during a pandemic. I would expect anything could happen up until the day I check in.

Okay well that's just silly. Yes you are right, anything can happen...it's a tumultuous time.

But, to act like people who go to Disney in a pandemic don't have a right to expect their resort to be open or worse, don't have the right to be disappointed if Disney throws them under the bus to accommodate other people...that's the silly part.

And to have no empathy for those people is just sad to me.

I don't really see the point of this. Team practice facilities are already open in the local markets and, while they can't do team practices there, they can do individual workouts. I understand these teams haven't practiced together since March, but the 2020-2021 season isn't starting until at least December, possibly later and free agency will start right after this season is over in October. Many of these teams won't even look the same heading into next season. I would bet money on this not happening.

Edited to add: the journalist who wrote that article is already saying the idea is dead in the water according to Woj:

Yeah, I read that too....but I also remember the information and misinformation and walking back and stuff that happened before the NBA Bubble was confirmed. Specific plans would change twice in one day.

I think I also remember when the players were "absolutely not" going to be in the parks, and then it became "at the discretion" of the NBA, and then it came out they had after-hours access to certain attractions.

So....even if it's a non-starter right now, I won't be surprised if things change.

Yeah, I read that too....but I also remember the information and misinformation and walking back and stuff that happened before the NBA Bubble was confirmed. Specific plans would change twice in one day.

I think I also remember when the players were "absolutely not" going to be in the parks, and then it became "at the discretion" of the NBA, and then it came out they had after-hours access to certain attractions.

So....even if it's a non-starter right now, I won't be surprised if things change.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about here. If the NBPA isn't onboard, it's not happening.

Okay well that's just silly. Yes you are right, anything can happen...it's a tumultuous time.

But, to act like people who go to Disney in a pandemic don't have a right to expect their resort to be open or worse, don't have the right to be disappointed if Disney throws them under the bus to accommodate other people...that's the silly part.

And to have no empathy for those people is just sad to me.
Disney has been great to guests who have had to move resorts, usually putting them in a better resort or a bigger room. So the people who would be effected wouldn’t need empathy. And really, it’s a vacation during a pandemic, as stated above, things can and will change on a daily basis. Empathy isn’t needed. You were looking for sympathy in your outrage against Disney possibly courting further NBA business.

Disney has been great to guests who have had to move resorts, usually putting them in a better resort or a bigger room. So the people who would be effected wouldn’t need empathy. And really, it’s a vacation during a pandemic, as stated above, things can and will change on a daily basis. Empathy isn’t needed. You were looking for sympathy in your outrage against Disney possibly courting further NBA business.
Says who...you? :rolleyes: Those are all just your opinions. Yes, some guests have been "upgraded" due to their resorts now not being available; some have been happy with that; others would have much preferred the resort they chose. Many ppl. have not been "upgraded" but "laterally transferred." Also, let's look at reality for a minute...the 3 resorts the NBA are staying at are some of the most expensive resorts to begin with...so not a lot of room to "upgrade." At the end of the day; it's perfectly reasonable that someone would be disappointed and upset that the resort they chose to book is now not available because Disney decided to sell the rooms to someone else (NBA) or decided it wasn't worth opening etc. It's really not hard to have empathy for a situation like that.

Says who...you? :rolleyes: Those are all just your opinions. Yes, some guests have been "upgraded" due to their resorts now not being available; some have been happy with that; others would have much preferred the resort they chose. Many ppl. have not been "upgraded" but "laterally transferred." Also, let's look at reality for a minute...the 3 resorts the NBA are staying at are some of the most expensive resorts to begin with...so not a lot of room to "upgrade." At the end of the day; it's perfectly reasonable that someone would be disappointed and upset that the resort they chose to book is now not available because Disney decided to sell the rooms to someone else (NBA) or decided it wasn't worth opening etc. It's really not hard to have empathy for a situation like that.

People need to be flexible if traveling right now. Now probably isn’t the time to take a “make it or break it trip.” You can laugh at me all you want. Doesn’t change my opinion.

NBA is spending more than someone on a week long trip. Just facts. I’m amazed that people are still angry about it.

It's not about me...it doesn't effect me (directly). I just can put myself in their positions and know how I would feel.

And Disney being "great" and "upgrade" is all relative. If I am at GF standard room, with a park view, and maybe they upgrade me to a 2 BR at Riviera...maybe it is an upgrade, technically, but location and view may mean more to me than the size of the room. My point is upgrade is in the eye of the beholder. What you might consider an upgrade may not feel like one to them.

Listen, I am usually a Disney defender. I understand their need to leave the All Stars and Port Orleans closed. And, I actually do feel for the people who lost out on a vacation (again, empathy, it's a good thing) But I also know that capacity limits were a very real thing, and they had to cut resorts somewhere to manage capacity. But, in this case, it is Disney blatantly prioritizing one group of people over resort guests. And that can be tough to take, when Disney is typically SO good at making their guests feel like VIPs just by being there.

I say I am not directly affected by this, but I think many of us are, indirectly. Until NBA players are consolidated at GDT, certain pathways will remain blocked, certain restaurants will remain closed. Many amenities at these resorts and resorts-adjacent will not be available until the resorts themselves re-open. I personally think they all should have been stationed at CSR/GDT...but that's another conversation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!