NBA at Walt Disney World

. . . They would all need to be deluxe-ish level too. These players aren’t staying at all-stars.
The All Stars would be a step up over what they usually have for training camps. Granted, training camp is only a couple weeks, not as long as a season. For the majority of the 53+-man rosters though, NFL players are not treated to quite the same level of luxury NBA players get. I believe NFL players always have roommates during road trips too, so just having a room to themselves would be a step up. Obviously there's a lot more to anything like this, and no one's realistically discussing it, so as has been said, it's not happening, but just just for giggles - it's not as impossible as would seem at first blush.

https://www.steelers.com/video/dorm-life-part-2-steelers-training-camp

Right. Disney as a vested interest in getting the NBA going because it airs on ABC. NFL does not, though the other networks might want to pull together and develop a similar plan to what the NBA did. It does seem to be working well so far. Disney is lucky to have already had the infrastructure to do something like this, but between the NFL, CBS, NBC, & Fox, I think they can figure something out.
Well, that's true, but it's only one game a week, right? They show a lot more NBA it seems like and ABC is the only broadcast network that shows NBA at all.
ESPN has a huge interest in the NFL season. While they only broadcast MNF, look at most of their non-live sports content during the NFL season, the majority of it is NFL-related. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of their topics on all of their talk shows is NFL and college football-related. NFL content is a major driver of their ratings, so even if they're not broadcasting the games, the NFL season is vital to ESPN (and thus, Disney).

. . .
One thing I find a little weird with the NBA is; They have all been tested regularly. There’s been 0 positive cases in the last like 20 days, and they’ve all been locked within their bubble for the most part. Why are the coaches still wearing masks, and the players distancing on the bench. I get it sets bad optics if you’re showing these athletes running normal life, but if you’re watching these games, chances are you know what these teams have had to do to even make this possible. Its also a sport with contact and no distancing on the court, and they’re not wearing masks on the court, so it kind of makes the protection on the sidelines kind of irrelevant.

Doesn’t take away from the game, I just find it a little weird. But definitely understand why they are, and have to do it
The reason the NBA is requiring masks off the court (not playing, coaches, around the hotel) is the idea that someone could still contract it and not know it yet, so they want to avoid the possibility of someone spreading to others if they should get it and limit the potential for spreading to games and practices.

Not a hard anthem to learn, I'd say most hockey fans know it. Or anyone that plays a sport that plays Canadian teams often. Kinda like it a bit better than ours but that may also be because I hear ours get butchered way more than Canada's.
Well, it's also more a "national" anthem than ours - ours is an anthem to our flag. I'm in the America the Beautiful as national anthem camp - more of a "national" anthem talking about the whole country ("from sea to shining sea") and I find the melody much nicer . . . but I digress. (Also completely putting aside any of the controversies surrounding glorification of war or racism in other stanzas - just my opinion based on the quality and general topics of the songs as "national anthems".)

Well, it's also more a "national" anthem than ours - ours is an anthem to our flag. I'm in the America the Beautiful as national anthem camp - more of a "national" anthem talking about the whole country ("from sea to shining sea") and I find the melody much nicer . . . but I digress. (Also completely putting aside any of the controversies surrounding glorification of war or racism in other stanzas - just my opinion based on the quality and general topics of the songs as "national anthems".)

Well it's also a poem with several more verses than what is actually used as the anthem. I prefer it over america the beuatiful, not a fan but at least people generally just sing it as is unlike the anthem.

Big Ten is set to cancel at any time apparently.

We finally got info on season ticket refunds for LSU. They sent out an email asking holders if they want to come this season. I know plenty that do. The SEC will cancel when the Big 10 does.

The St Louis Cardinals have become the "horror story" for all the leagues (including the NBA's plans for 2020-2021 season) - rather than Miami's overwhelming "everyone positive at the same time," they've been the "drip, drip, drip" of positives every few days - enough that they shut down when Miami did AND STILL HAVE NOT PLAYED YET (with another positive this weekend, and another series canceled this week). They will now be 12-15 games behind everyone else in a 60 game season - eventually, that's gonna break.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29625608/pirates-vs-cardinals-series-postponed-coronavirus
PS - They have still only played 5 games...

It's not about me...it doesn't effect me (directly). I just can put myself in their positions and know how I would feel.

And Disney being "great" and "upgrade" is all relative. If I am at GF standard room, with a park view, and maybe they upgrade me to a 2 BR at Riviera...maybe it is an upgrade, technically, but location and view may mean more to me than the size of the room. My point is upgrade is in the eye of the beholder. What you might consider an upgrade may not feel like one to them.

Listen, I am usually a Disney defender. I understand their need to leave the All Stars and Port Orleans closed. And, I actually do feel for the people who lost out on a vacation (again, empathy, it's a good thing) But I also know that capacity limits were a very real thing, and they had to cut resorts somewhere to manage capacity. But, in this case, it is Disney blatantly prioritizing one group of people over resort guests. And that can be tough to take, when Disney is typically SO good at making their guests feel like VIPs just by being there.

I say I am not directly affected by this, but I think many of us are, indirectly. Until NBA players are consolidated at GDT, certain pathways will remain blocked, certain restaurants will remain closed. Many amenities at these resorts and resorts-adjacent will not be available until the resorts themselves re-open. I personally think they all should have been stationed at CSR/GDT...but that's another conversation.

That is all complete speculation on your part. WDW isn't getting enough regular guests, as it is, to re-open Poly, BC, BWI, POR, POFQ, AoA and the All-Star Resorts. None of that has to do with the NBA and there are zero plans to open any of these resorts in the near future. If they can't fill the non-NBA resorts that aren't open, how can you possibly say GF, YC and CSR-GDT would be open right now if the NBA weren't there? They wouldn't be. Disney has decided they have enough rooms at the resorts that are open to accommodate the capacity of regular guests who are coming. There isn't enough room at CSR/GDT to handle all of the teams, team staff and the media who are staying in the regular CSR rooms. There are also zero plans to open SAB when the YC reopens on August 24. How is that the NBA's fault? There are plenty of non-NBA resort restaurants that remain closed as well - is 'Ohana being closed the fault of the NBA? Flying Fish, Sebastian's, Jiko, Citrico's, and many more? No, those restaurants being closed have nothing to do with the NBA.

I really think people need to come to terms with the fact that Disney HAS to come up with ways to make money right now in order for the parks and resorts to survive. Regular guests are cancelling left and right. NBA was a guaranteed $150 million. Although I have two trips on the books right now and had to cancel twice, I'm, personally, willing to be a bit flexible in my attitude here so Disney can generate some income so we Disney fans have a resort and parks to actually go to in the near and distant future.

That is all complete speculation on your part. WDW isn't getting enough regular guests, as it is, to re-open Poly, BC, BWI, POR, POFQ, AoA and the All-Star Resorts. None of that has to do with the NBA and there are zero plans to open any of these resorts in the near future. If they can't fill the non-NBA resorts that aren't open, how can you possibly say GF, YC and CSR-GDT would be open right now if the NBA weren't there? They wouldn't be. Disney has decided they have enough rooms at the resorts that are open to accommodate the capacity of regular guests who are coming. There isn't enough room at CSR/GDT to handle all of the teams, team staff and the media who are staying in the regular CSR rooms. There are also zero plans to open SAB when the YC reopens on August 24. How is that the NBA's fault? There are plenty of non-NBA resort restaurants that remain closed as well - is 'Ohana being closed the fault of the NBA? Flying Fish, Sebastian's, Jiko, Citrico's, and many more? No, those restaurants being closed have nothing to do with the NBA.

I really think people need to come to terms with the fact that Disney HAS to come up with ways to make money right now in order for the parks and resorts to survive. Regular guests are cancelling left and right. NBA was a guaranteed $150 million. Although I have two trips on the books right now and had to cancel twice, I'm, personally, willing to be a bit flexible in my attitude here so Disney can generate some income so we Disney fans have a resort and parks to actually go to in the near and distant future.

GF, CSR and YC were open for booking before NBA and guests were moved. They are also open for booking through Sept 2021. The resorts listed as closed are not open for any future bookings.

People who had stays booked at BC and Boardwalk (hotel, not DVC) before closings are already being contacted about moving for next year. I haven't heard that for GF, YC or CSR.

Just to clarify your post. Poly and AoA have announced opening dates. WL and AKL are the other 2, in addition to all the resorts you listed, that don’t have an opening date.

GF, CSR and YC were open for booking before NBA and guests were moved. They are also open for booking through Sept 2021. The resorts listed as closed are not open for any future bookings.

People who had stays booked at BC and Boardwalk (hotel, not DVC) before closings are already being contacted about moving for next year. I haven't heard that for GF, YC or CSR.

All resorts were open for booking before any of this started. All guests who were booked in all closed resorts, non-NBA and NBA, were moved. My point is, there is zero proof YC, GF and CSR would be open right this very moment to regular guests if the NBA weren't there. There seems to be a lot of bellyaching going on that all guests were inconvenienced solely because the NBA is there and I just don't see it. There were plenty of guests who had to be moved from non-NBA resorts as well. In fact, it's very possible YC, GF and CSR will open to regular guests post-NBA BECAUSE the NBA was there as those resorts are now staffed, open and ready to go. If I recall a post from yulilin in another thread, she explained these resorts are staying open because the CMs are already there and working. If the NBA had never contracted the space, I think it's possible those resorts would not have opened and those CM's would still be furloughed. I think contracting with the NBA, bringing CM's back from furlough and then re-opening those resorts to regular guests is really a win-win. Again, I would hope people would open their minds a little here and think about all of the CMs who were able to go back to work because the NBA came back and how much money Disney was able to recoup not only from the rental of the WDW facilities but the ad $$ for ESPN and ABC. Maybe see the forest for the trees a little bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter